HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do I go about picking a NHL team to be a fan of?

Old
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
NordWing

vCash: 500
Some great ideas have been posted - I was a Nordiques fan since the WHA days and when the franchise moved to Colorado I couldn't follow the team, mainly because the new owners have yet to embrace the history of the franchise like the owners of the Carolina and Phoenix franchises.

Going from a fan to a fan without a team was a challenge - I couldn't cheer for the Nords division rivals so I began to watch games and the Red Wings began to grow on me in 1995 with the players, the coach, the team's management, and the support of the fans. An added bonus was they were in the same conference as the Avalanche and the two teams have had some great games over the years.

I'm one of the old school guys who's team first, player second. Don't get me wrong, I'll always cheer former Nords like Sakic, Forsburg, Foote, etc..., but I'll never be a fan of Colorado.

With that said, you have a very exciting team in the Caps right in your own back yard. Give them a chance to grow on you, if they don't another team will catch your eye as your watching the Caps.

Cheers!

NordWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Can't go wrong with the San Jose Sharks. Won't make many arguments like the others, but I will point out that it's one of the more active fanbases when it comes to message boards.

Here on hfboards the game day threads (GDT's) will have 500 posts a game (looking at it well after the game), compared to other teams which will have maybe 50 posts total.

I hate to see people randomly pick a team, but I do think it's wise to go local team before anything else. It's easier and makes sense. You don't want to be a bandwagon guy.

But if not local, go with the Sharks.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:08 PM
forrestk

I appreciate all of your responses guys! You all were very helpful and (obviously) very passionate about hockey. I will keep you all updated on my desperate search for fanhood. Watched a few games tonight and I'm watching the Caps game now...

If anyone has any other helpful pieces of advice, please feel free to keep posting. I'm sure that this thread will help not just me, but someone else as well.

forrestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:06 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Well, just eliminate the New York Islanders from your choices, than go from there.

You'll save about 10 years of your life. Happy to help! Cheers!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
I dunno. Leaf fan if you want to be seen as loyal. It's probably the only franchise that hasn't struggled with it's fanbase.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:02 AM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I would pick by the style of play that you like. If you like boring defensive hockey pick the Devils for example, if you like great passing and puck possession pick the Wings.

Personally if I wasn't already a Flyers fan I would probably get into the Caps, just a great great team to watch.
um except the devils now play a puck possesion game like the redwings and the devils are never boring to their fans. We love how this team plays.

marty30brodeur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Roogy

San Jose or Columbus

Roogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Pick the Devils and we can be friends

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Bloggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Pick the Devils and we can be friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90GeqnGn10

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
I'd pick the team that you get to watch the most on television or can go see live once in a while.

The real joy of being a fan is watching your team play. Better to be a fan of a team that's not the best then be one of those wings fans that's all over Canada who doesn't care about hockey until the conference finals come around.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
krudmonk

Flip a coin, roll some dice and pick the Sharks.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Despite living in Leafs Nation for my whole life and having everyone around me being a Leafs fan, I didn't really get into hockey until 2002 as an 18 year old. I was taken to a Leafs vs Sens play-off game, one of their epic battles, and had 9th row platinum seats behind the net that Curtis Joseph was in for the 1st and 3rd period. The game ended up going into triple overtime, and though when I arrived for the game I was excited to see a live game but not overjoyed since I knew very little about how the game worked, by the end of it I was flipping out at every chance and taking notes on which players were good and bad. I basically fell in love with not only hockey, but the Leafs [and yes, the Sens, too] that night. It also helped that the person I was going with [also a non-hockey fan unaware of the "Battle of Ontario" rivalry] showed up wearing black and red and we were razzed all game about cheering for the Sens. That helped educate us on the hatred between the two teams, and was just another layer of the experience!

So my advice is to just go to a game. Get into an area where there's a lot of passionate fans, and just be engrossed. Don't try to be passionate, but let it flow into you. It will certainly give you a headstart.

If you're already going to a game, it shouldn't be too hard to do that.

Edit: As others have said though, it's a lot easier to build an interest in a team that you can follow closely by watching their games, whether it be live or in a bar. That's why there are so many hometown fans: it's simply the easiest way to get involved, since the team is always around! I know that I've tried to get into following the OHL, but my city doesn't broadcast any OHL games so it's difficult for me to follow a single team, because I have no exposure to the product.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Lux Aurumque*

If you want the team with the best fanbase in the world, look no further than the Minnesota Wild.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Jerkini

You can't pick a team. It just sort of happens.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:03 PM
forrestk

So to the Habs fans out there...how many fans in your fanbase would you say speak only French? I've found it hard to follow the broadcasts on RDS because they are French-only. Too bad the Habs games can't be broadcast in English as well on CBC for every game (

forrestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Marky9er

Get an agent to check out a few teams, you are in a unique situation as a free agent. Most of us are mid-term, on long term deals.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote