HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Girardi's Potential?

Old
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Girardi's Potential?

Ever since he was called up for Kaspar the Bipolar Ghost, I have been impressed with him. Though, I have heard some fans on the board say he doesn't have the potential to get any better. I believe he has a ton of offensive potential, and even though he already has 7 points, people still say that he isn't going to improve into the offensive defenseman that I see him as.

He already has 1/4 of the points he had in 82 games last year. So far he has played in all 12 games. Mathematically, Girardi will most probably reach 28 points at the 48 game mark. His projected point total for this season is 48 points(correct me if I am wrong). His shot is a "could-be" bullet and not once have I seen his shot go wide.

When compared to last season's stats, 48 points is 12th among all defensemen in the league. If he keeps moving at this pace, he will be among some of the best. As he gets older, he will get more PP/ice time which will of course lead to more points.

Your thoughts?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
NYROrtsFan

It's funny with Girardi...

When he was first called up, some said he would never make it. Then some said he was a 3rd pairing defenseman at best although the guy never messed up. Then it was finally conceded by others that the guy is definitely a top 4 defenseman. Especially after he added the physicality that he shows. His first year he wasn't physical at all, just a guy who could move the puck smartly.

I'd put him out there against the best without a doubt. If continues to put up impressive offensive numbers, then he is a very good 3rd defenseman. I'd trust him against any player though. If he can make the Kovalchuk's of the world look stupid, then he can do it against anyone.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I really thought he peaked last season, but he seems to get better each game. This season though, I am really surprised by his offensive side as well (not too much there, but still has a really nice shot).

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Shake and Bake

For the most part, Girardi has been a rock on the blueline since he was called up. When he first got the call-up, it was such a pleasant suprise. I remember he played virtually flawless d in his own zone the rest of the year> Just doesnt make too many mistakes

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Shake and Bake

I think Girardis upside has always been questioned because he was undrafted and basically came out of nowhere. He aso tends to play a simple and effective game- nothing flashy. Doesnt have that sexy slapshot. Does a great job ofgetting pucks to the net and keeping them low allowing for rebounds and defections. Rozsival can learn a thing or two from Dan the Man. aka shoot!

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
FLYLine24*

I dont know how much he'll get better, I think hes about as good as he will get. He offense will probably get a little better but in terms of he D...its solid and will stay solid.

He's always going to be a solid 2nd pairing dman.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Double digits in goals.

Typically flawless in his own end.

Can't say anything bad about him. Not sure why he would be underrated. He isn't a household name in the NHL, but he probably will be one day.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I dont know how much he'll get better, I think hes about as good as he will get. He offense will probably get a little better but in terms of he D...its solid and will stay solid.

He's always going to be a solid 2nd pairing dman.
I agree, I think this is pretty much it. hopefully get a little more consistent.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Can't say anything bad about him.
I think his head's kinda weird shaped.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think his head's kinda weird shaped.
"You got a misshaped head"

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
NYR Viper

i would say he could prolly be a solid second pairing defenseman....he can hold his own against first-liners but i would say to be most effective being on the second pairing suits him the best.....its hard to say how much better he can get because he has surprised so much already....if he can keep adding to his offensive game AND his physicality over the next couple of years i could see him as a viable #2 defenseman.....although he and staal wont be paired up because of the need for a solid defensive defenseman on the top-2 pairings

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
He already has 1/4 of the points he had in 82 games last year. So far he has played in all 12 games. Mathematically, Girardi will most probably reach 28 points at the 48 game mark. His projected point total for this season is 48 points(correct me if I am wrong). His shot is a "could-be" bullet and not once have I seen his shot go wide.
Well, by this same logic, the Rangers will "most probably" end the season with 130 points. I don't think that even the biggest homer would try to make that claim with a straight face. Girardi is on pace to score that many points, but I really doubt that he keeps it up for the entire season. I absolutely LOVE the kid, but I think we'd be getting ahead of ourselves if we started to expect him to approach the top 10 defenseman scorers.

I mean, by most accounts Rozsival had a very good offensive season last year. He was our #1 defenseman, #1 PP point man, and he managed all of 38 points last season. To expect Girardi to get 25% more than that while playing a lesser role is a bit unrealistic.

To answer the question, though, I think Girardi is at or near his potential right now, and may top out as a #3 or so. Having added that to the roster without dropping serious cash or even using a draft pick is amazing, and his role in this team's success cannot be overstated at all.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think he's still learning his lessons, but you can't argue with what he's brought to the table as an undrafted free agent. Great find.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Levitate

I think he makes more mistakes out there than people criticize him for...he's gotten more "high risk, high reward" than he was in his first year, and that kind of bothers me. But he usually makes up for it, so he's not a liability out there either. He just seems to step up at the wrong time occasionally, and sometimes loses his man.

On the plus side, he's more physical and plays a tougher game than he did when he first came up.

On the downside, he looks like a serial killer with a thousand mile stare

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Fletch

I think he's a solid second pair defenseman. Decent defensively, decent offensively. I tend to agree with Levitate about his mistakes and high/rish high/reward. Often I think how some guys would do if Lundqvist was not behind them. While all goalies make saves, it seems that Lundqvist, who faces less shots than many, seems to face a high percentage of quality chances. In other words, if they can somehow break through and get off a shot, very often it's a good one, and some of that happens on Girardi's watch. I honestly don't believe he's going to get much better than what he is today. That's not a bad thing, because he's a solid second pair defenseman, but I don't think one should be expecting much more from him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
If he continues to see decent PP time, I think it's reasonable to project 8-10 goals and 25+ assists. Couple that with his very solid defensive play, and I think you're looking at a terrific second-pairing defenseman.

My only concern is whether Danny can keep up his level of play over a full season. He seemed to wear down last year, IMO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
ogie

if he brings a little more snarl to his game and maybe learns to throw a good hipcheck. he can be a 1st pair D-man in the future.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Fletch

Girardi wore down?

I actually thought he got better towards the end of the season. Thought he struggled early with going up against top lines moreso than the prior season, which was indicated a bit in his +/-. Thought he finished playing better, but my memory of last year has already begun to fade.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I actually thought he got better towards the end of the season. Thought he struggled early with going up against top lines moreso than the prior season, which was indicated a bit in his +/-. Thought he finished playing better, but my memory of last year has already begun to fade.
Same, Fletch. Maybe it was even two years ago, after he got off to an excellent start, then he tailed off a bit. Or, I could just be imaging the whole thing.

Either way, while I'm encouraged by his play, I'd like to see it over a full season.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
that's what I remember of him as well. That in the beginning of the year he was trying to be fancy, and was getting schooled on one-on-ones but as the year went on he simplified his game and played better.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I think he did get better towards the end of the year, along with the rest of the team, but he and Tyutin struggled against Pittsburgh, so we probably remember some of that too

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Girardi makes some of the best first passes out of our own end and thats what makes him so appealing to me. Hes also very capable of putting up points as well, as we have seen. I can only see him improving from here on.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Fletch

So it breaks down as...

basically, if the forwards are doing their jobs, the goalies' are doing their job, a guy like Girardi looks to be doing well too. If he's asked to do too much himself, he tries too hard and he's really not that good. In other words, in a good Rangers system he can excel but he may not be that great individually. Think that's another way of looking at it? It's a testament to Renney's system in that he's created a number of changeable parts, but is it really easy to judge a guy like Girardi individually?

Old
10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
basically, if the forwards are doing their jobs, the goalies' are doing their job, a guy like Girardi looks to be doing well too. If he's asked to do too much himself, he tries too hard and he's really not that good. In other words, in a good Rangers system he can excel but he may not be that great individually. Think that's another way of looking at it? It's a testament to Renney's system in that he's created a number of changeable parts, but is it really easy to judge a guy like Girardi individually?
basically that is what I think of him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:49 AM
eco's bones

Girardi is still very good defensively but he gets caught out of position more because he takes more chances in the offensive zone. It's a tradeoff that tends to work in our favor--but not all the time. He is a solid skater but not particularly speedy. He does play a much more physical game than his penalty minutes would lead some to think. That is a great asset in itself.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote