HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Congrats to Milan Lucic

Old
10-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Given that, and the fact that he's still got a long way to go, suggesting him for an Olympic team is ridiculously premature. Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Letandresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.
There are at least 30 forwards who are significantly ahead of Lucic at this point. And that's not an insult to Lucic's talent but rather a testament to Canada's depth. 2014, if there are still NHLers, and he develops a ton, then maybe I can see the discussion. But 2010? I don't think it's unfair to have at least 30 guys ahead of him at this point.

With a lot of young guys pushing vets for spots it'll be hard to find room for Lucic on a shortlist, let alone the actual roster.

Morrow-M.Richards-Doan can bring elements of Lucic's physicality but also a far superior skill level to both ends of the ice. At this point they could be tentatively penciled in as a 4th line so you can imagine how tough it's going to be to crack this roster.

Like I said, it's not a knock on Lucic, but Canada's depth is such that I don't see him being considered unless he has 65+ points this year and continues to light it up in 09/10. Because a guy like Horton is going to get a much harder look than Lucic and even then probably only as a 13th or 14th forward.

As for the Latendresse comparison, I don't think that's accurate at all, except for the mean streak comment. I see it more as an Erik Cole vs. a more physical Mike Knuble type of comparison. Lats is around 6'2" 225 right now and that weight seems to suit him as his speed has been much better this year. Lucic seems to be at a good weight as well, though I've seen him listed between 6'3" 220 and 6'4" 230. Either way I don't see him bulking up to the point where he outweighs Lats by 30 pounds. But he will always have much more of a mean streak.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well playing for the Bruins is more than enough.... I would really like to see Bruins fans praising one of our guys....Trust me playing for the Habs is more than enough, last year Ryder was a weak, no-talent, diver and this year he's the second coming of 'cause SUDDENLY Bruins fans realizes how tough he is and how great he will be....

Having said all of that, anybody who wouldn't want Lucic in his team is fooling themselves. And the kid is making me eat some crow to say the least, never would I have thought he would've made the NHL as far as he did.
i hated ryder on the habs, but only cuz he TORCHED the bruins constantly. fwiw, if the habs ever decide to bail on markov, i will hope his agent dials in chiarelli and company first. id love him on the bruins.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Man I remember when this guy was breaking into the WHL for the giants as a 16 year old and he was like...the worst player on the ice. Just a stumbling big guy out there to throw hits and go to the net. Its amazing how much he has improved in 4 years I dont think I've ever seen this type of development.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Alain Racette

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Man I remember when this guy was breaking into the WHL for the giants as a 16 year old and he was like...the worst player on the ice. Just a stumbling big guy out there to throw hits and go to the net. Its amazing how much he has improved in 4 years I dont think I've ever seen this type of development.
REALLY?

See, everyone? Players CAN change! I only say this because there are some who don't believe this!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:03 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
REALLY?

See, everyone? Players CAN change! I only say this because there are some who don't believe this!
Yup. But he was a raw, RAW 16 year old who was just growing into his frame. Hell, even two years ago when he was a point per game in the WHL no one could have predicted this type of start in the NHL for him.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:01 AM
wandk128

As a Bruins fans I dislike Kovalev, hated Ribeiro, but have respect for Koivu and I've been impressed with what I've seen from Komisarek. He could turn into a force on the back end for years to come. But for the most part, I hate that team. Nothing personal, and I would expect any Habs fan to feel the same way toward any player on the Bruins.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yup. But he was a raw, RAW 16 year old who was just growing into his frame. Hell, even two years ago when he was a point per game in the WHL no one could have predicted this type of start in the NHL for him.
Which is why I find it odd that some fans are mad that their team didn't draft him. I remember after the draft that the pick was considered a pretty big reach by the Bruins as Lucic was only coming off a 9 goal, 19 pt season in the Dub and was considered to be a 4th line enforcer at best for his career.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Milan Lucic needs a nickname.
I see a lot of people claiming to have man crushes on Lucic. What about ManCrush? He does plenty of crushing too against his opponants.

Oh...and for those that don't think he has any speed, hasn't watched him that much this year. After spending his offseason working on his skating, you can tell the difference in his stride, acceleratioin, and top end speed. Watch last night's game against Edmonton...the kid was flying out there. He does need to work on his stamina.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Latrandresse better then Lucic?

So far Lucic's sophomore season is turning out much better then Latrandresse's in every aspect. Latrandresse struggled last year and is still struggling to keep his foot in the door.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post

So far Lucic's sophomore season is turning out much better then Latrandresse's in every aspect. Latrandresse struggled last year and is still struggling to keep his foot in the door.
One great game does not make a season.... call me back when he gets to 16 goals....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Yep. The Bruins' board has 3 guys that watched him a fair amount even before he was drafted and all 3 said the same thing: "This kid will only make it to The NHL if he learns how to stake"

His staking has improved 2 or 3 folds, nobody is going to mistake him for Phil Kessel, but he can at least play on the 1st line without wasting Savard's time.

As far as the remark about Habs players I'd like to have... Give me Koivu. He is a great all-around player and he plays hockey the way it should be played, other then when he whines to the refs... But so does Crosby and Savard... every team has 'that guy'... You know, the guy that has never fouled anyone before, and gives 'the look' to the ref when they get called for hooking... "Who! Me?!?!"

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
One great game does not make a season.... call me back when he gets to 16 goals....
Letandresse's career high is 29 points in 80 games. Lucic last year had 27 points in 77 games. Both seem poised to shatter those totals this year, but based on the actual numbers, I'm not sure how you could say Latandresse is far and away the better offensive player.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:18 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Yep. The Bruins' board has 3 guys that watched him a fair amount even before he was drafted and all 3 said the same thing: "This kid will only make it to The NHL if he learns how to stake"

His staking has improved 2 or 3 folds, nobody is going to mistake him for Phil Kessel, but he can at least play on the 1st line without wasting Savard's time.

As far as the remark about Habs players I'd like to have... Give me Koivu. He is a great all-around player and he plays hockey the way it should be played, other then when he whines to the refs... But so does Crosby and Savard... every team has 'that guy'... You know, the guy that has never fouled anyone before, and gives 'the look' to the ref when they get called for hooking... "Who! Me?!?!"
Lucic the Vampire Slayer?

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Letandresse's career high is 29 points in 80 games. Lucic last year had 27 points in 77 games. Both seem poised to shatter those totals this year, but based on the actual numbers, I'm not sure how you could say Latandresse is far and away the better offensive player.
I'm basing it not just on points but what I've seen from them too.... Latendresse last year spent the majority of his seaon on a line with Max Lapierre and Begin/Dandenault. Its hard to get points with those two offensive dynamos. Whenever he was put with other good players he seemed to put up points.

I don't think Lucic has the offensive skills Latendresse does.... Thats just my opinion, and i may be proven wrong in the future... but just pure goals he had half as many as Latendresse in his rookie season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:25 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
Lucic the Vampire Slayer?
mmmmm, beef steak

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:38 AM
cneely

Quote:
I'm basing it not just on points but what I've seen from them too.... Latendresse last year spent the majority of his seaon on a line with Max Lapierre and Begin/Dandenault. Its hard to get points with those two offensive dynamos. Whenever he was put with other good players he seemed to put up points.

I don't think Lucic has the offensive skills Latendresse does.... Thats just my opinion, and i may be proven wrong in the future... but just pure goals he had half as many as Latendresse in his rookie season.
Lucic spent the majority of the first half of last season on a line with Reich and Metropolit. He still put up decent numbers. I like Latandresse's hands, and I think skill wise he's a little better, but Lucic has great vision, and brings that crash the net style that will gain him more than a few points. It's not as pretty, but does it matter how they go in?

Old
10-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post

Shows how much you know about him, hes played great so far this year and is hardly struggling, him Koivu and Tanguay have picked this team up and put it on there shoulders, give him a whole season on the 1st or 2nd unit and some pp time he will be very comparable to what Milan will accomplish.

I used to be a Latendresse basher but this season so far hes made some huge strides and has seemed to mature, coupled with finnaly playing on a pp or a top unit it seems to be comming together for him, hes also going to finnish this season as a + player which along with an increased point total is progress.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Shows how much you know about him, hes played great so far this year and is hardly struggling, him Koivu and Tanguay have picked this team up and put it on there shoulders, give him a whole season on the 1st or 2nd unit and some pp time he will be very comparable to what Milan will accomplish.

I used to be a Latendresse basher but this season so far hes made some huge strides and has seemed to mature, coupled with finnaly playing on a pp or a top unit it seems to be comming together for him, hes also going to finnish this season as a + player which along with an increased point total is progress.
To be fair, Latandresse had struggled up until this year. Also to be fair, though, he is only, what? 21? He's made strides which is to be expected from a guy his age with his skills. Further though, it seems that Lucic is making some of those same strides, and is a full year younger.

Which will be better? Who knows. Traditionally it takes larger, power forward type players a lot longer to mature. Both of these guys fit that mold, so I don't expect to see the best out of either of them for another 3-4 years.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 264
A very close family friend is Lucic's dentist and has known him since he was like 8.. it's great to see him do well I always liked him as a Giant.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I love these moron radio personalities in Vancouver who ***** about all the teams passing on Lucic when it was a reach to take him at #50 back then. He went one spot after Maxwell who was over a point per game, and Looch' had 19 points and didn't project as anything more than a powerhouse, as Bruins4lifer said.

Old
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

It's not like Lucic spent his time with offensive dynamos last season.....

Latendresse may have the better offensive skills, but he lacks the work ethic, skating, and attitude that will make him into an offensive force. There's a reason he went from 3 to outside the first round in his draft year (rankings).

Keep in mind that I don't think Lucic will be anything more than a third/second liner (50-55 points MAX) at the NHL level. However, he will be that type of forwards that helps a team win a championship.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
I love these moron radio personalities in Vancouver who ***** about all the teams passing on Lucic when it was a reach to take him at #50 back then. He went one spot after Maxwell who was over a point per game, and Looch' had 19 points and didn't project as anything more than a powerhouse, as Bruins4lifer said.
It was reported that Nashville at 56 and New Jersey at 58 were going to take him if he were there, so I'm not sure it was a great reach at 50. But nobody ever thought he'd be this good, or near the NHL yet.

dafoomie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:15 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Those people that got all cut up from his hit on VanRyn were visiting Boston and Lucic after the game went to there hotel room later on that night and dropped off a bunch of boston gear and signed them all... great to hear!

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
It's not like Lucic spent his time with offensive dynamos last season.....

Latendresse may have the better offensive skills, but he lacks the work ethic, skating, and attitude that will make him into an offensive force. There's a reason he went from 3 to outside the first round in his draft year (rankings).

Keep in mind that I don't think Lucic will be anything more than a third/second liner (50-55 points MAX) at the NHL level. However, he will be that type of forwards that helps a team win a championship.
That's actually one of the things he DOESN'T lack. And I don't know how you are able to analyze "attitude", having spent 0 seconds with the guy or any of the people around him, but carry on.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote