HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton players

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2004, 12:51 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Ok well you guys don't seem to be getting my point. So I will say this and it will be the end of it for me.

The contract he would sign this summer would have to be for 3 years.

So let's say (hypetheticaly) that there is a 2 year lock-out and that he spends both years in the AHL. By year 3 of his contract (2006-2007 season), he ought to be ready for NHL duty. So he would come in making about 1.2 as his base rookie salary. Performance bonuses would be attached (as are for all top 1st round prospects); performance bonuses would likely be very attainable given his development (2 full years of AHL if all goes well, a full 3 seasons removed from his draft year).

So THAT SEASON (2006-2007), we would theoreticaly be paying him 1.2M + performance bonuses (which could be pricey given the current CBA under which this contract would be negotiated). Not to mention that signing bonus he would be hitting this summer.

I say: instead wait until the new CBA is out. Under the new CBA, rookie salaries will allegedly drop and signing-performance bonuses for rookies are supposed to be slashed. That way we could still have him under contract for his first NHL season (2006-2007) but for probably far less.

amen.

Old
07-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Frankie

ahl teams are allowed 5 veterans (more then 260 pro games played) this year.

judging from this thread, hamilton won't come close to filling that quota?

Old
07-06-2004, 07:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Ok well you guys don't seem to be getting my point. So I will say this and it will be the end of it for me.

The contract he would sign this summer would have to be for 3 years.

So let's say (hypetheticaly) that there is a 2 year lock-out and that he spends both years in the AHL. By year 3 of his contract (2006-2007 season), he ought to be ready for NHL duty. So he would come in making about 1.2 as his base rookie salary. Performance bonuses would be attached (as are for all top 1st round prospects); performance bonuses would likely be very attainable given his development (2 full years of AHL if all goes well, a full 3 seasons removed from his draft year).

So THAT SEASON (2006-2007), we would theoreticaly be paying him 1.2M + performance bonuses (which could be pricey given the current CBA under which this contract would be negotiated). Not to mention that signing bonus he would be hitting this summer.

I say: instead wait until the new CBA is out. Under the new CBA, rookie salaries will allegedly drop and signing-performance bonuses for rookies are supposed to be slashed. That way we could still have him under contract for his first NHL season (2006-2007) but for probably far less.

amen.

I know fully understand what your saying, and while it makes sense financially, it makes no sense in reguards to his development. He should be in North America as soon as possible. He needs to learn how to play in a system and how to play defensive game. Who cares if it ends up costing more, if he becomes a solid NHLer or better. It's all about what management think is best for his development, and hopefully that's in Hamilton/Habs.

Old
07-06-2004, 07:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
ahl teams are allowed 5 veterans (more then 260 pro games played) this year.

judging from this thread, hamilton won't come close to filling that quota?

It's unknown who Dallas will send at this time, but from the Habs side, it doesn't look like there will be too many vets. Beauchemin, Dykhuis fit the bill, but who knows where they will be, I assume Beauchemin will be in Hamilton, although I'd rather see him given a shot with the Habs.

Closed Thread