HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Bruins shutout Van

Old
10-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He's Penner with testosterone. Yes. I think that's fair to say.
Too much sentence deadwood. Corrected.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not saying hes lucky. He's playing the odds that shooters are not finishing the deal and going high and he's running the table doing that.

Jari Kurri and Mike Bossy would send this guy to the AHL. Its odd how theres some really good players now but few lethal finishers.
Aside from 06-07 his save percentages post lock out have been pretty high though. Higher than anyone we've had that's for sure. Last year it was .921.

Though I agree the Oilers and Canucks might not be the best barometer. The Oilers while deep offensively can often get themselves into offensive ruts by playing lazy hockey, making back up goalies look like Brodeur, and the Canucks' offensive deficiencies are pretty well documented at this point.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:08 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Too much sentence deadwood. Corrected.
My goodness someone is crusty tonight. Everything okay?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Yes they did. And they actually do it without being "Minnesota boring".
Exactly. I was simply stunned. They took away EVERY possible shooting lane/angle/etc that the Canucks could have thrown their way. They hit more, they attacked the puck better, they were really aggressive on the PK as well. They found two major weaknesses in the Canucks PP units...Double teaming the puck carrier down low and Blue line passes between the point men.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
I'm not saying hes lucky. He's playing the odds that shooters are not finishing the deal and going high and he's running the table doing that.

Jari Kurri and Mike Bossy would send this guy to the AHL. Its odd how theres some really good players now but few lethal finishers.
I think it has a lot to do with coaches preaching low shots to generate rebounds. The high stuff doesn't help if it misses; it could bounce off or over the glass, or even out of the zone.

Two things will fix this: the new rule stating shots over the glass off goalies will stay inside the zone, and the recognizance of this trend by the truly elite players. I've already noticed that Sakic's returned to the high shot, and it's been a factor in his great production to date.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Aside from 06-07 his save percentages post lock out have been pretty high though. Higher than anyone we've had that's for sure. Last year it was .921.

Though I agree the Oilers and Canucks might not be the best barometer. The Oilers while deep offensively can often get themselves into offensive ruts by playing lazy hockey, making back up goalies look like Brodeur, and the Canucks' offensive deficiencies are pretty well documented at this point.
Again I'm not saying Thomas is being lucky. He's clearly covering bottom half and leaving top.

With the plethora of standup goalies in the league I can only think that shooters are confused by Thomas and no longer used to this aggressive flopping around.

I really think its a case of closers failing to close. Theres no way Thomas is ruling if shooters are doing their homework.

I'm interested in how long correction will take.

Tim Thomas is throwback. That style of netminding was proved inferior years ago. Shooter relearning seems to be required.

PS some hick goalie in the minors should go to Mike Palmateer pokecheck school and reinvent glory.. It seems as if any novel wrinkle is working.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-29-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old
10-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
My goodness someone is crusty tonight. Everything okay?
It was a joke.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I think it has a lot to do with coaches preaching low shots to generate rebounds. The high stuff doesn't help if it misses; it could bounce off or over the glass, or even out of the zone.

Two things will fix this: the new rule stating shots over the glass off goalies will stay inside the zone, and the recognizance of this trend by the truly elite players. I've already noticed that Sakic's returned to the high shot, and it's been a factor in his great production to date.
Yep. Sakic is a little brighter than the average NHL bear.