HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Betting $$ on hockey, Would you take these bets.

Old
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Betting $$ on hockey, Would you take these bets.

So, I am going to be betting money on thursday night against my friend on the NHL action.
The following games on Thursday.
ATLANTA AT RANGERS
ISLANDERS AT PHILADELPHIA
OTTAWA AT FLORIDA
EDMONTON AT NASHVILLE
MONTREAL AT MINNESOTA
CAROLINA AT ST. LOUIS
COLUMBUS AT COLORADO
BOSTON AT CALGARY
PITTSBURGH AT PHOENIX
VANCOUVER AT LOS ANGELES
DETROIT AT SAN JOSE

I need all 3 of these teams to win for me to win.
(HOME)Rangers to beat Atlanta
(HOME)Philadelphia to beat Islanders -(will Di-Pietro still be out?)
(AWAY)Pittsburgh to beat Phoenix

Would you take this bet?
I got 20$ to win 50$.

I also have a side bet that for..
COLUMBUS AT COLORADO
Colorado will win by 2 or more.

Would you take these bets? If not, why? I see Phili being the biggest risk but I didn't think any other games on thursday would make more sense then that one.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Is that you, Bob McKenzie?

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Ogopogo*

Betting on any team in a single game is a fool's bet. Anything can happen in one night so any team can beat any other. The Islanders could beat the Red Wings, you just don't know.

If you are betting on a playoff series or an entire season there is some legitimacy to it. If it is a single game, just flip a coin.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:17 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Betting on any team in a single game is a fool's bet. Anything can happen in one night so any team can beat any other. The Islanders could beat the Red Wings, you just don't know.

If you are betting on a playoff series or an entire season there is some legitimacy to it. If it is a single game, just flip a coin.
A fools bet? That's why it's called gambling. The bigger the risk the bigger the reward.

As for the OP's bets - they sound pretty good to me. Go for it.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
A fools bet? That's why it's called gambling. The bigger the risk the bigger the reward.

I never gamble, I only bet when I have an unfair advantage. i.e. hockey pools.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post

I was also thinking of taking the Carolina/St. Louis Game but I am yet to watch Carolina play so I don't want to place a bet on a team I no little a bout.

Old
10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:

That's not true, I make some very nice coin during the hockey season as a main source of income. Enough for me to pay room and board, go out and party and buy CDs, and video games.

Using your example of the Islanders VS Detroit. You look at examples.
- Has one of those teams played three games in four nights?
- Is there going to be a let down after a big game?
- In Detroits case how has Lidstrom been playing?
- What has Detroits PP been doing lately in comparison to the Islanders PK? and vise versa.
- Are there any players hot right now playing exceptional hockey, for that matter are there any lines right now clicking on either team.

And so on and so forth, I could keep going on and on. I even like playing with numbers for teams but don't want to bore anyone with this post.

You can come up with a very good educated guess on winners and losers. I am about 65% this season. Also never bet with ones favorite team participating. To much bias.

Last edited by The Fuhr: 10-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.
The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Mer

I like betting on over/under personally. Anyone can win any night so I like to predict whether its gonna be high scoring or not

Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If that's how you really feel, then it's probably a good thing that you don't personally bet on single games.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Saskatoon

Well there is definitely more to it than a coin flip but the odds for any single team winning are not so much higher to make it near a sure thing. If you keep on making bets like that over the course of a season you would probably come out ahead but anything can happen on any single given night. The more games that you are required to call correctly to win a single bet hurts your odds significantly (how many nights with 5+ games is there no upsets).

So anyways to your actual question I do think you have the odds on your side in each of the single games but on the whole it is like a 55/45 odds in your favor. So statistically speaking if you plan to keep doing things like this often then go for it, you should make money on it over time. But if this is a one time thing it is more of a coin flip.

Saskatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
stickglovesshirt*

I like phoenix to beat the pens. the time difference is going to hurt the pens, plus they are playing in as many games in as many nights. a 7pm game for the yotes is like a 10-11pm gae for the pens. I also like the jackets to beat the avs. The avs have terrrrrrrible goalies.

Having said that watch what each teams do in their games tonight and tomorrow and then decide who to bet. When I bet I tend to place my bets online within 30 mins of the puck dropping to make sure there are no suprises. I had a big night saturday going 2-0 taking the ducks and the leafs. DOGS PAY $$$$$$$$$$$$. REMEMBER THAT!

Also betting $20 to win all 3 of those games and only winning $30 profit is a joke. Thursday check online make a nice ticket and see what a 3 game parlay on those games are from only betting $5, then add the avs by 2 and see what if pays. YOU FRIEND IS TAKING YOU HARD!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by stickglovesshirt*: 10-28-2008 at 04:19 PM.
stickglovesshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Saskatoon

After rethinking it a bit your in more trouble than i realized, you need the odds to be 80% or better in ALL THREE games to have a slightly better than 50% chance of winning. While you can calculate the odds how you like but there are few match ups that will have those odds, let alone 3 on a given night.

Saskatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickglovesshirt View Post
I like phoenix to beat the pens. the time difference is going to hurt the pens, plus they are playing in as many games in as many nights. a 7pm game for the yotes is like a 10-11pm gae for the pens. I also like the jackets to beat the avs. The avs have terrrrrrrible goalies.

Having said that watch what each teams do in their games tonight and tomorrow and then decide who to bet. When I bet I tend to place my bets online within 30 mins of the puck dropping to make sure there are no suprises. I had a big night saturday going 2-0 taking the ducks and the leafs. DOGS PAY $$$$$$$$$$$$. REMEMBER THAT!

Also betting $20 to win all 3 of those games and only winning $30 profit is a joke. Thursday check online make a nice ticket and see what a 3 game parlay on those games are from only betting $5, then add the avs by 2 and see what if pays. YOU FRIEND IS TAKING YOU HARD!!!!!!!!!!
ITs getting 20$ to win an addition 50$ so I guess it would be 70$ from way you see it.

Phoenix's goalie has been playing pretty bad so far and the pens have a lot of talent. I don't think the 3 and 4 lines of phoenix can compete with theirs. There 1st line is completely out-matched.

Old
10-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mer View Post
I like betting on over/under personally. Anyone can win any night so I like to predict whether its gonna be high scoring or not
I've worked as a bookmaker for the best part of a decade, and this is my bet of choice. Where hockey is concerned, it's by far the best value bet available (imvho).

My strike rate for the last season and a bit is just over 80% = It's been a licence to print money.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Synergy27

The Rangers should beat Atlanta on any given night, but I don't like betting against teams that got their ***** beat down in the previous game. I expect the Thrashers to come out hard and make a game of it on Thursday.

Where do you guys make your bets? I want to become more of a degenerate.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:45 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
HOME)Rangers to beat Atlanta
(HOME)Philadelphia to beat Islanders -(will Di-Pietro still be out?)
(AWAY)Pittsburgh to beat Phoenix

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Atlanta, Isles are both pretty pathetic. Phoenix might put up a good fight, but I cant see the Pens losing to an obviously inferior team, coming of the heels of a loss to the sharks.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote