HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins sold?

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Unholy Diver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Craig1 mentioned people calling Pittsburgh names, but it seems it's the other way around.
thats why Craig1 didnt post it and I did, some of us have more restraint than others do

and lets face it nothing gets threads closed faster than a nice flame war

Old
07-04-2004, 03:28 PM
craig1

Quote:
Craig1 mentioned people calling Pittsburgh names, but it seems it's the other way around.
I never said people were calling Pittsburgh names. I used an anology of someone besmirching your sisters reputaion and you doing nothing to defend her.....do you not understand what an analogy is?

Old
07-04-2004, 03:38 PM
craig1

Quote:
There's a difference. These rumours aren't coming from outside the hockey world, let alone from Mexico.
It was an analogy. Canadian fans get very upset when the possibility of a team being moved or created in the sunbelt comes up......an A-N-A-L-O-G-Y

Quote:
There's also a difference between poking fun at a team who may move in the future, and bringing up the very real possibility for discussion.
Not when the possibilty is unfounded and blatant rumor mongering

Quote:
If rumours did pop up out of the blue about the Oilers, I would say, "I hope that doesn't happen, and I don't think it will, but if it does, I'll have a legitimate reason to be angry." Jumping down the throats of people talking about the possibility of my team moving wouldn't do anybody any good at all. That would be disrespectful on my part, not the other way around.
No, not defending something that you beleive in is what is wrong. I've had to deal with enough Red-Diaper Doper Babies in California who want me to work and support them while they smoke their pot and waste their lives, to have learned that much.

Quote:
Look at the Larry Brooks column... should Bruins fans get all defensive because he says Thornton wants out? Should they dismiss it all as "utter BS" and "unfounded" just because they don't like it? No.
This didn't come from a column......It was a radio source. If it was in a column, and in print, he could easily be nailed with libel. And I have stated in the past that rumor mongers such as Brooks should not post anything unless they reveal their source......

Quote:
But they should realize that people are going to talk about it, and that if there's enough smoke over time, it has the ability to turn into a pretty large fire. They shouldn't take every little rumour as gospel.
Every little rumor???? A little rumor is something that comes and goes in passing. This is continual BS sprouted by those hoping beyond hope that they get something in return out of it. Some must feel that if they keep sprouting the same BS, public pressure will help lure them what they want...a team. All this does is create an acrimonious situation betweem fans of a team and others desiring a team to move.....

Old
07-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Chili

A few random thoughts...

Until something is officially announced everything else is speculation/rumour.

A good point was made about the timing of selling an NHL team...if I was a prospective owner, I would definitely want to know a great deal about the cba in place and no one knows how that will play out at this point (nor the length of time it will take before a new deal is in place).

Unless someone knows otherwise, the Pens arena situation is ongoing.

Mario won't be the owner of the team forever, someday he'll sell it...but after all the time and effort he's put into the franchise, it wouldn't make sense to sell it to someone who intended to move the team, without giving local interested parties a chance to buy it.

Old
07-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Chili

Quote:
Canadian fans get very upset when the possibility of a team being moved or created in the sunbelt comes up.
Thanks for the generalization but some fans north of the 45th actually follow the Pens (and other non Canadian teams).

Old
07-04-2004, 08:15 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Thanks for the generalization but some fans north of the 45th actually follow the Pens (and other non Canadian teams).
It was a general reference meant for the Canadian fans of Canadian teams. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Old
07-05-2004, 12:19 AM
tom_servo

Mario and co. are beginning the process of obtaining a slots license in the interest of a new arena, the conclusion of which won't be resolved for about a year. It's safe to say they have not sold the team.

Old
07-05-2004, 11:43 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Mario, IMO should just stick with hockey , and give up the Pens .
yeah and play in Montreal where he belongs

Old
07-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
yeah and play in Montreal where he belongs
He has lived longer in Pgh than Montreal

Old
07-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
But it became debated in the thread.....And all the rumors around the Pens moving are coming from Canada, who are hoping and praying to reclaim teams from us unworthy Americans who stole their game (That is not a direct shot at anyone specific here in this thread, that is in response to claims on other threads.)
Americans didnt steal our game, its still belongs to Canada. However, we did give them 2 of our franchises because we failed to keep them alive financially in this country. As a result, many people up here, especially in the praries are very bitter at the fact and will stop at nothing to have the media atleast ponder the possibilities of the NHL retuning to Winnipeg. For some reason, Eastern Canadians have not put in the same amount of effort with Quebec City with exception of useless on-line petitions.

I'm sure you have all visited jetsowner.com. People believe this site will do wonders with the possibility of the NHL comming back to the Manitoba capital. However, all it had done is, again, ponder the possibilities and sell people POS t-shirts, and all the questions regarding the Jets have ended with a "No chance" remark. Pittsburgh is gonna end up like the 2003 MLB Strike, so close people can feel it, but at the last second, nirvana! If anything, the Pens will simply fold, that all, but it wont happen.

Having said that another NHL team NHL will NEVER return to Canada, I must say, go Hartford!

Last edited by Papa Smurf: 07-06-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old
07-06-2004, 06:59 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
I don't have a link or anything, but I thought I'd pass this along. Scott Taylor, of the Winnipeg Free Press (he's also on The Score), was on the FAN 960 in Calgary today. He said that Lemieux has sold the Penguins, and they're ready to move, but Bettman nixed the deal until a new CBA is in place.

He didn't really elaborate on that, or give a source, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a rumour. But it's interesting either way.

Winnipeg had financial problems in the 90s when noone had.
Winnipeg won't get a team any time soon.

And buddy, stop lying or believing in crap like that.

Old
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Winnipeg had financial problems in the 90s when noone had.
Winnipeg won't get a team any time soon.

And buddy, stop lying or believing in crap like that.
It's probably something that any one of us would've posted had it been any other team. He didn't necessarily believe it, thus the question mark.

Closed Thread