HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT #9 -- Flyers at Thrashers -- October 28, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Coburn has an assist on an even strength goal, but No +? did he pass it then take a change?
It was a powerplay goal.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/GS020127.HTM

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Ah the box score I was looking at said ES.

How did Nodl look? And besides Sbisa's 2 points, how did he look defensively?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
after watching this game i feel bad for, Kovalchuk honestly. Way to waste away great talent on not such a great team.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:01 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
if niity could play this well against any team besides atlanta, we'd be pretty set in goal. this was the first game that i saw from start to end. chose a good time to start watching

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Can anyone else think of a period of time where one team has been completely dominated like the Flyers have done to the Thrashers?

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Miss Mess

Fun game, I didn't have to hold my breath every time the other team entered our zone.... poor Atlanta lol.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Jeez, what a beatdown. I actually got bored.

six sigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
Can anyone else think of a period of time where one team has been completely dominated like the Flyers have done to the Thrashers?
The Flyers had a stretch when they went 27-0-5 against the Kings into the early 80s (I think it was reported as League record). Obviously, not a record that began with the teams' inceptions but a stretch over a few years. Around the 28th game of the streak, the Kings led by a goal with about three minutes left and Marcel Dionne had a breakaway. Supposedly, the whole Kings' bench was up in anticipation of a goal much so since the streak was big news; Pete Peeters stoned Dionne. Clarke then scored to tie the game and Propp scored the game-winner with about 90 seconds left. After the game, Jay Wells said he hated Philadelphia -- before he was traded to the Flyers.

10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers had a stretch when they went 27-0-5 against the Kings into the early 80s (I think it was reported as League record). Obviously, not a record that began with the teams' inceptions but a stretch over a few years. Around the 28th game of the streak, the Kings led by a goal with about three minutes left and Marcel Dionne had a breakaway. Supposedly, the whole Kings' bench was up in anticipation of a goal much so since the streak was big news; Pete Peeters stoned Dionne. Clarke then scored to tie the game and Propp scored the game-winner with about 90 seconds left. After the game, Jay Wells said he hated Philadelphia -- before he was traded to the Flyers.
I knew you would chime in with the answer. Much appreciated.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
leave it to MSE to unearth this nugget of history. awesome story.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
I knew you would chime in with the answer. Much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
leave it to MSE to unearth this nugget of history. awesome story.
IIRC, when the Kings finally broke the streak the game was on the USA Network when they did NHL games. I think Gary Green was the analyst. I was at a house party somewhere in Miami and then I stormed out p'd off at the world.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:45 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Its father weekend. A bunch of the dads traveled with the team

Mr, Lupul being interviewed. Aksed if how he felt about his sons goal," I didnt win money because we didnt have a pool going on. Even if we did, i would have probably picked Richards."
That is awesome.

This game was exactly what the Flyers needed to keep their confidence up.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
IIRC, when the Kings finally broke the streak the game was on the USA Network when they did NHL games. I think Gary Green was the analyst. I was at a house party somewhere in Miami and then I stormed out p'd off at the world.
Gosh darnit, I wish I had a memory like yours.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Wow, lol...that seriously was an ugly game. And I couldn't help feeling bad for Atlanta at a certain point.

Truthfully, though...overall, I don't even think the Flyers played all that great. For the most part, I thought it was a pretty damn sloppy game. For both us and Atlanta...I just thought there was a lot of sloppy play going on out there. I guess for the Flyers it tapered off a bit as the game went on, and suppose it was at its worst in the first period.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
blah

Quote:
You're like Grandpa Simpson, only your stories are true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Gosh darnit, I wish I had a memory like yours.
Seriously, I can't even remember yesterday.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Is that what he was supposed to be doing? How the hell does someone look at the team and figure Eminger is the best replacement?

Also, nice to see Christine Simpson is all set for Halloween... sweetie, seriously, ditch the damn black nail polish. It's great for 12 year old girls and emo boys. Pretty much no one else.
Hahaha thank you! I'm not the only one who was *****ing about that tonight. I was talking to my friend at the bar when she came on, and I was just like I really ****ing hate her, and it doesn't help that her ******* nails are always painted black. Like whatever, black is cool sometimes, but jesus lady, change it up.

On that note, great win. It feels good to just watch a game like that every now and then. May be boring, but I'd much prefer an easy win over one when I feel like I'm about to have 10 heart attacks. Now all we need is a Phillies win tomorrow, a Flyers win on Thursday, then with Halloween on Friday my week will be made.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Wow, lol...that seriously was an ugly game. And I couldn't help feeling bad for Atlanta at a certain point.

Truthfully, though...overall, I don't even think the Flyers played all that great. For the most part, I thought it was a pretty damn sloppy game. For both us and Atlanta...I just thought there was a lot of sloppy play going on out there. I guess for the Flyers it tapered off a bit as the game went on, and suppose it was at its worst in the first period.
Brutally ugly game...and Atlanta was simply putrid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

good to get a big win against a team the Flyers should beat. I saw the Thashers against Boston over the weekend and I knew that defense was God awfull.
Gagne is simply on fire. Good Lord I hope he stays healthy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:39 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Anyone hear or see any updates on Powe?

Odd series of events the way Bogosian left the game after a hit by Powe, and then Powe himself wound up going into the boards and leaving with an injury. Hopefully, they're both ok.

It looked to me like Powe may have had his face come into contact with the boards.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:23 AM
chaosof99*

Wow, there is nothing better a confidence booster than a good old-fashioned thumping. 4 points for Gagné. Holy crap.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think it's almost cruel to hold onto him. Kovy put faith in the organisation by signing a contract extension with them, yet they have done absolutly nothing to help him. Look at his linemates for christ sakes. At least he had hossa once. The team doesn't want to play, there is no energy.

I would be ashamed to play for them if thats how they play
How Don Waddell continues to have a job in the NHL absolutely baffles me. The guy is a complete buffoon when it comes to building a hockey club. Other than the one season that Atlanta made the playoffs, the team has been absolutely attrocious. You'd figure the owners would want a winning product, but it seems that they're perfectly content with putting a crap product on the ice. To me, that's completely unacceptable. It's owners like that that give the sport a bad name and I'm guaranteeing that in five years from now, the Thrashers are moved out of Atlanta because of inept ownership and management. Sad. Really, really, really sad.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
How Don Waddell continues to have a job in the NHL absolutely baffles me. The guy is a complete buffoon when it comes to building a hockey club. Other than the one season that Atlanta made the playoffs, the team has been absolutely attrocious. You'd figure the owners would want a winning product, but it seems that they're perfectly content with putting a crap product on the ice. To me, that's completely unacceptable. It's owners like that that give the sport a bad name and I'm guaranteeing that in five years from now, the Thrashers are moved out of Atlanta because of inept ownership and management. Sad. Really, really, really sad.
I just feel bad for their fan.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
chaosof99*

I watched the game now in full and it was really ugly for the Thrashers. By the third period they were visibly annoyed and lifeless. Kovalchuk didn't make anything better with his bad penalties at the end of the second. Almost felt sorry for them.

What can I say. A 7-0 thumping and a well deserved and needed confidence boost. Richards pass to Gagné for the short handed goal was a thing of beauty and Niittymäki also was fantastic. His hex over Lehtonen is really inexplicable. 10 and 0. Congrats to him for his 4th NHL shutout.

Sbisa also did very well, picking up 2 assists. Lupul also found his scoring touch again, and Knuble plays his luck with crashing the net. I only feel kinda sorry for Cannon. He missed two short-handed breakaway's and the penalty shot that resulted from one of them. Anyways, I can't complain on a 7-0.

A small little gem I saw and found very interesting. At the end of the second, when the Thrashers went on the power play that ultimately resulted in Gagné's shorthander, there was a nice play by Eminger of all people. Niittymäki is out of position to his right and a Thrasher (I believe Kovalchuk) has the puck behind the net. Eminger slides like a goalie on his knees to the other post to prevent or block a wrap-around.

However, does anybody know about Powe?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:44 AM
IrishSniper87

Alberts actually looked ok last night.

However, solid win for the Flyers!!!!

The only question now is Sbisa.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

ESPN article...
Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3670527

ATLANTA -- We're not suggesting that the Philadelphia Flyers have a personality disorder, or even that they adopt the nickname "Sybil." That said, the Flyers are nothing if not, well, mercurial.

After upsetting Washington and Montreal to advance to the Eastern Conference finals this past spring, the Flyers entered this season as a team expected to challenge for the Atlantic Division crown and perhaps the Eastern Conference title.

As veteran forward Mike Knuble noted, the bar was raised significantly, and the Flyers embraced the challenge of being a Cup contender.

But instead of charging out of the gate and recapturing that playoff mindset, the Flyers marred the start of their regular season with six straight losses. Three were in overtime or a shootout, but the tepid performances seemed to suggest the spring was more fluke than foundation. Moreover, giving up 29 goals during those six losses was a painful reminder of the start of the 2006-07 campaign, when Philadelphia went 1-6-1 and gave up 33 goals to start the season and coach Ken Hitchcock and GM Bob Clarke were fired as a result. The Flyers then went on to post the worst record in franchise history and finish dead last in the NHL.

This rags to riches to early-season rags story line had many in Philadelphia chewing nervously on their fingernails -- those who weren't shivering under their umbrellas awaiting the World Series to continue, of course.

"I think for the first three or four games, we thought it was going to be easy," defenseman Kimmo Timonen told ESPN.com Tuesday. "That we were just going to have to show up. But it doesn't work that way."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote