HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Washington's Alexander SEMIN, NHL Point Leader

Old
10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
the_speedster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
omg that was HILARIOUS! that ovechkin is sooo funny! someone get him on def comedy jam!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
GrouperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Gotta love these threads barely two weeks into the season.
It's all downhill from here, wait for the inevitable who's the best player in the league thread. I can already see the argument "But Ovechkin isn't even the best player on his team!"

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:07 PM
HunterSThompson

semin:the magician

great thread

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Brownies

Semin, you're NHL points leader.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
JFA87-66-99

Semin might have the best hands in the NHL. Maybe better than Datsyuk,Kovalev,etc

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Semin is in the Top 10 of the most talented players in the league. Bold statement but true statement.

The thing that has been concerning about Semin in his early career has been the lack of consistancy. Even Washington fans will tell you he looks better than Ovechkin on one shift and then does something totally bonehead that makes you wonder where all that elite skill went. If he can ever cut out those periods of time where he slows down in production and effectiveness then he'll be a 50 goal scorer in no time.
He is quite the player, indeed. I want to see him play his contract year: if healthy, he is going to go off. I'd wager that he pots 50 during the contract year when the 9.2M (or whatever it was) contract is up.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Brodeur was frozen on two occasions the other night.
nope, only once on the breakaway, the other shot was deflected off a d-man's glove and into the net. but i see where your coming from

sattar18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
Semin has more skill, but ovechkin's athletic abilty (size/strength/speed combination) and drive is what sets him apart from semin and every other winger in the league. Semin is the quintessential sniper though. That shot, as others have stated, is deadly.
From most wingers, I'd agree, but I think there is more than a slight similarity between Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Both big, strong, very fast wingers who absolutely love taking the puck to the net, shooting and scoring.

As for Semin, he is just a fantastically skilled player with the puck. Seems there isn't anything he can't do with the puck.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
WVP

Quote:
Well Semin's not exactly Brian Savage. He actually has a chance of being near the top of the scoring race at the end of the year.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin View Post
That might be my favorite HF thread ever. So juvenile, but so funny.

IRTT

What impresses me most about Semin is his ability to work in small spaces. That guy could get a nasty shot off in a broom closet.

I could see him getting 45-35-80 this year.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
jaems

Quote:
Yep, who cares if Alexander Semin is having a good start, not like he's scored 35+ goals in a season before.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I'd say it's possible that he could eclipse Ovechkin in production this season. It's still early, but every single area of Semin's game has improved this season - especially his strength/balance/board play and his drive. He actually comes to play on every shift now.

The man is looking like the next Alex Mogilny.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
His release is better than Ovechkin. I just think Ovechkin shoots harder and more often than Semin. From the way it looks in person, picking up Semin's shot looks like trying to track a lacrosse whip. He hardly flexes the stick and it whips out instantly with a tremendous amount of velocity. Between Semin and Nathan Horton it's hard to say who has the better wrister in the SE division.
I think Ovechkin has more shots in his arsenal that are elite level than does Semin, but Semin may well have a better wrist shot. Ovechkin for instance can adjust his body to get 100% on a one time slap shot in ways that no other player can. Semin's one timer is good but Ovechkin can shoot Semin's best one timer with only one skate on the ice.

Semin's wrister can be shot flat footed, like what he did to Fluery last week, as hard as Ov's best. Semin can shoot it like that from between his skates and with accuracy.

As to Semin's focus, something changed in the playoffs last season. His game elevated with his intensity and it hasn't come back down yet. Its like he learned something about the game or himself that he can apply. As long as he continues to face team's 2nd pair and an not their checking forward line and has a #1 line level center with him, he is going to torch the NHL.

I doubt anyone has the doodads to take their best defense crew off of Ovechkin to try and slow down Semin.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
What impresses me most about Semin is his ability to work in small spaces. That guy could get a nasty shot off in a broom closet.
That's true and what is so odd is that Nylander can skate circles inside the same broom closet. They may be the two most difficult players in the NHL to cut off their time and space, because they require so little of it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
TheGoldenJet

Bump!

1st in points again.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote