HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Upcoming road trip

Old
10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Upcoming road trip

Thu, Oct 30 @ Minnesota
Sat, Nov 1 @ NY Islanders
Fri, Nov 7 @ Columbus
Sat, Nov 8 @ Toronto

Anything less than 6 point would be a disappointment. Looks to be an easy road trip!

What result would you be happy with?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Nothing is ever easy, but 6pts should be very possible.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd be disappointed with anything less than 6 points as well. I'm really looking forward to the Oct 30th game against the Wild.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Nothing is ever easy, but 6pts should be very possible.
Well, the fact that we'll play teams currently ranked 28th and 30th in the league should help.

Old
10-29-2008, 09:42 AM
NHLcrazy

Habs have a talent to struggle against bad teams and surprise against good ones...They also have a talent to bring the best games out of the opposing goalie.

I say we go 2-1-1 for 5pts

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:44 AM
CH4

less then 6 points would be a shame; We need to win against columbus, NYI and Toronto.

Min might be the closest game, but we are still better then them.

my objective: 3-0-1
my prediction: 3-1

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Thu, Oct 30 @ Minnesota
Fri, Nov 7 @ Columbus
Sat, Nov 8 @ Toronto

Anything less than 6 point would be a disappointment. Looks to be an easy road trip!

Hmm, I'd be careful about Columbus. I hope the Habs win, but they always have a hard time against the BJs (pun duly intended). Leclair seems to bring his A game against the Habs.

I put'em at 5 points out of 8 on that road trip, but they could do better.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hmm, I'd be careful about Columbus. I hope the Habs win, but they always have a hard time against the BJs (pun duly intended). Leclair seems to bring his A game against the Habs.
Lecrair is injured as of right now, so Norrena is their starter.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Lecrair is injured as of right now, so Norrena is their starter.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks. Anyway, I still wouldn't count that as an easy win, still, it might be a bit easier without Leclair.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
la25ecoupe

Can't wait for Nov 7 + .. 13 games in 23 days!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks. Anyway, I still wouldn't count that as an easy win, still, it might be a bit easier without Leclair.
I am glad Leclaire's not going to be playing. French Canadian goalies seem to always play well against the Habs.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I am glad Leclaire's not going to be playing. French Canadian goalies seem to always play well against the Habs.
Except Brodeur, we seemed to have his number in the last three games last year.

Hope the trend continues.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Except Brodeur, we seemed to have his number in the last three games last year.

Hope the trend continues.
LOL, out of the 45 games he has owned us. Columbus is a good team that has talent and is well coached. I don't expect that to be an easy game regardless of who is in net. Toronto has proved that no team should take them lightly because they are a hard working team that might want revenge from last game. Minnesota has a great team concept and it is going to be a hard team to score on. The Islanders should be the only team that Montreal has a excellent shot at beating. I don't consider these matchups really that easy to tell you the truth.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Thu, Oct 30 @ Minnesota
Fri, Nov 7 @ Columbus
Sat, Nov 8 @ Toronto

Columbus will surprise all of you, they will be very tough to play against.. Im not very optimist for that trip considering how we have been playing lately...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
LOL, out of the 45 games he has owned us. Columbus is a good team that has talent and is well coached. I don't expect that to be an easy game regardless of who is in net. Toronto has proved that no team should take them lightly because they are a hard working team that might want revenge from last game. Minnesota has a great team concept and it is going to be a hard team to score on. The Islanders should be the only team that Montreal has a excellent shot at beating. I don't consider these matchups really that easy to tell you the truth.
Very well said, but if we are considered to be true "Cup contenders". These are the types of road trips that we must dominate on. I'm not saying it's going to be easy. But 6pts out of a possible 8 should be a must.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

You actually find it funny that I think the trend has changed because for the first time, Brodeur actually goes up against a very good Habs team, and his own team is not what it used to be, yet you don't think the Habs can continue to blow the Leafs.

You know, must times, its a question of matchups. The new Habs seem to match up well against the new Devils and the Habs seem to matchup very well against Toronto.

The fact that Leclair is not there, gives a bit of an edge to Montreal.

To me :

Minny = tough game to win

Columbus = could go both ways, but Habs have the edge

TOR = A sprint in the park

NYI = Walk in the park

Old
10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Very well said, but if we are considered to be true "Cup contenders". These are the types of road trips that we must dominate on. I'm not saying it's going to be easy. But 6pts out of a possible 8 should be a must.
I agree as well, but I don't like it when people share a false sense of ease with upcoming schedules.

Quote:
You actually find it funny that I think the trend has changed because for the first time, Brodeur actually goes up against a very good Habs team, and his own team is not what it used to be, yet you don't think the Habs can continue to blow the Leafs.

You know, must times, its a question of matchups. The new Habs seem to match up well against the new Devils and the Habs seem to matchup very well against Toronto.

The fact that Leclair is not there, gives a bit of an edge to Montreal.

To me :

Minny = tough game to win

Columbus = could go both ways, but Habs have the edge

TOR = A sprint in the park

NYI = Walk in the park
The thing about what the poster said was it was too recent. Brodeur has owned us throughout his career and just because the last few games haven't been like that doesn't mean a new trend is forming. However, I still think New Jersey is a superb team but they had a rough home and home with a desperate Philly team. Plus, we don't have Smolinski anymore. I don't think the first game against Toronto is indictative of how the season series will go. And I don't really agree that we match up well against Toronto, throughout the last 3 or 4 season we have always played them tough, and I think the majority of the time they actually win the season series. There is a difference now that Sundin is not on the team but they are really well coached and have a hard working and improving team that can play any team tough. Really the only game they haven't had the ability to win this season is the one against us.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:54 PM
mcphee

I like to look at 10 game segments. Being neurotic, I worry about the short term goals of averaging the 12 points in 10 games that put you in th emix. Over 12, then you battle for the top spots.

They've got 13 points, 2 to play in the first segment, and they've been a bit sluggish, not really in sync. They've been without key wingers, but they aren't really where they want to be.

Last year, I belive it was very similar, a good start but no one was really thrilled with how things looked. They couldn't find line combos that worked, They had, Plekanec/Kovalev and Higgins/Koivu and everything else was a mess. The pp saved them until they sorted things out.

All this to say that I'd like 5 out of 8 points, the talent level is closer than ever in he league and it's unrealistic to think a Columbus,NYI or Leaf team can't take a game.

The key is to play teams even while they figure out what has to be adjusted, what has to be left alone. They have wingers who may not be on the line that they will settle onto. Higgins has to find his legs, both Kost's need to get in a groove, Lats spot is dependant on how those guys evolve.

They have to figure out how patient they want to be with O'b. The process may cost them some points. Mtl's a good team but maybe we expected them to jump on the ice and dominate, but it doesn't work that way.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I agree as well, but I don't like it when people share a false sense of ease with upcoming schedules.
Now, I've heard it all. First I'm bashed as a pessimist and now people complain that I'm too optimistic!

Sorry, which one would you like me to do?

If we cannot beat Leafs and Islanders I do not see how we're aiming to go all the way this year. It's only going to get tougher. This trip is probably our easier away stretch all season long.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Now, I've heard it all. First I'm bashed as a pessimist and now people complain that I'm too optimistic!

If we cannot beat Leafs and Islanders I do not see how we're aiming to go all the way this year. It's only going to get tougher. This trip is probably our easier away stretch all season long.
I wasn't personally attacking you at all. But regardless, a few regular season losses to teams that are lower in the standings doesn't mean we are not ready to compete for the cup. The team is still in a feeling mode with Lang and Tanguay and the young players are still improving. Like McPhee said, the Kostitsyn's still haven't hit stride yet which is something that will come with time. Even Komisarek who is usually a pillar of consistancy is making some foolish plays out there. It's early, the team needs some time to work out the kinks still. However, I don't really think the fans need to feel the urge to win every game and have the team prove to everyone else around the league that they are for real; which is the feeling I am getting sometimes on these boards. I would just like the team to plug along through the season working on imperfections and improving as a team. This team needs to prove they can win when the playoffs arrive not by beating lower teams like Toronto and NYI.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Im much like Mcphee, I cut the season up into segments of 10 games.
So far we are passing with flying colors when we look at our record.

The fun part of our record is that we all know and all agree that we have not been close to full potential. I would be scared to play the Habs because when they start clicking, games can get ugly.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Nothing worse than an optimist, except maybe a pessimist. Both are annoying.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I wasn't personally attacking you at all. But regardless, a few regular season losses to teams that are lower in the standings doesn't mean we are not ready to compete for the cup. The team is still in a feeling mode with Lang and Tanguay and the young players are still improving. Like McPhee said, the Kostitsyn's still haven't hit stride yet which is something that will come with time. Even Komisarek who is usually a pillar of consistancy is making some foolish plays out there. It's early, the team needs some time to work out the kinks still. However, I don't really think the fans need to feel the urge to win every game and have the team prove to everyone else around the league that they are for real; which is the feeling I am getting sometimes on these boards. I would just like the team to plug along through the season working on imperfections and improving as a team. This team needs to prove they can win when the playoffs arrive not by beating lower teams like Toronto and NYI.
Fair enough.

I feel that teams like Toronto and NYI give us an opportunity to build up some cushion for when things get tougher. It's not that I will call for heads if we lose to those, but I'd be concerned if we failed to get at least 4 points out of possible 8 here. It does not matter that some of our players haven't hit their stride yet, have you seen lineups of TO and NYI? Plus, I'm sure they got their own concerns - every team does. What I mean is that if you take a look at Detroit, you can see that they take care of teams they should beat most of the time. Sure there are stumbles here and there, but 90% of time you see them win games that looked winnable before hand. Not that I think we're as good as Detroit, but I believe we should be taking the next step in becoming a contender team that's here to stay for some time.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
theboss

Quote:
Thu, Oct 30 @ Minnesota
Fri, Nov 7 @ Columbus

Sat, Nov 8 @ Toronto

Wow the habs get 6 days off. Another big gap.

I'd be happy with 6 points.

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote