HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit D Kyle Quincey waived - claimed by the Kings

Old
10-27-2008, 04:10 AM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Detroit waiving Quincey just is more proof that Detroit= has too much talent overall. Keeping Brad Stuart instead of letting a young d-man earn his stripes was ?. Signing Hossa so you could keep Helm in the minors was also ?. If they want their super potential filled kids to lead them to the promised land later, they have to accept at least some growing pains now. Other teams in the league will take advantage of this and it will catch up to the Wings.
It only catches up with the Wings if they stop developing more prospects of equal or higher quality than the ones they lose. With Jonathan Ericsson already better than Quincey, and Jakub Kindl and Derek Meech roughly his equal the Wings aren't likely to suffer any immediate troubles from losing Quincey. Plus the Wings continue to add high quality skill to their system every season. The Wings AHL team is averaging 5.2 goals per game through 5 games so far. They added Ville Leino (4 goals, 9 points) and Justin Abdelkader (6 goals) among quite a few others to the AHL team this year. QMJHL standout Francis Pare signed an AHL deal with the team and has impressed (2 goals in 2 games). Since drafting Quincey in 2003, the Wings have added Logan Pyett, Jakub Kindl, Sergei Kolosov, Brendan Smith and Max Nicastro (current USHL leading defenseman scorer) to the defensive pipeline. They lost Matt Ellis to you guys last year but again aren't in any peril having added Darren Helm, Ville Leino, Justin Abdelkader to name a few of the many. Just from the last draft class Stephen Johnston looks like a solid pick who'll add to our already deep system. Believe me, I don't see Detroit having to worry about losing players like Ellis and Quincey on waivers catching up to them anytime soon. We gave up a younger Chris Osgood on waivers once upon a time, and that didn't keep us from winning in 2002, did it?

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 06:05 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Detroit waiving Quincey just is more proof that Detroit= has too much talent overall. Keeping Brad Stuart instead of letting a young d-man earn his stripes was ?. Signing Hossa so you could keep Helm in the minors was also ?. If they want their super potential filled kids to lead them to the promised land later, they have to accept at least some growing pains now. Other teams in the league will take advantage of this and it will catch up to the Wings.
Your lack of knowledge of Detroit's farm system shows.

Detroit makes sure the players get as much ice time as possible so they can make it to their potential soon after they make it to the NHL. Franzen, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc all played in other leagues after being drafted, and look how well they play.

Detroit's advantage is they don't have to have any growing pains because their farm system is so successful. Other teams can't match because a lot don't draft like the Wings do. Of course people have talked about how teams would catch up with Detroit after losing Yzerman and Shannahan and others but hey, I don't mind Holland disproving the critics.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
sarcastro

Matt Ellis was not a guy I was sorry to see leave - quite the opposite, actually. I was happy to see him go somewhere he could actually play and carve out an NHL career for himself. His role on the Wings was always going to be minimal, and they had other guys in the system that could play a similar role.

Q is a different story. The Wings have poured all their resources into developing offensive/puck-moving/smurf defensemen. That's fine, it's working out pretty well for them. But they only had one legitimate physical stay-home defender in the entire system, and that was Quincey. They already have their next smurf defender in Pyett, getting ready to take Meech's spot. But they don't have anything that resembles a replacement for Lilja, and the sooner they can replace him, the better. Q should have been that replacement.

And as I have stated before on the Wings board, I see what Q would bring to the team, even in a limited role. I do not see what Meech brings to the team that others do not.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Matt Ellis was not a guy I was sorry to see leave - quite the opposite, actually. I was happy to see him go somewhere he could actually play and carve out an NHL career for himself. His role on the Wings was always going to be minimal, and they had other guys in the system that could play a similar role.

Q is a different story. The Wings have poured all their resources into developing offensive/puck-moving/smurf defensemen. That's fine, it's working out pretty well for them. But they only had one legitimate physical stay-home defender in the entire system, and that was Quincey. They already have their next smurf defender in Pyett, getting ready to take Meech's spot. But they don't have anything that resembles a replacement for Lilja, and the sooner they can replace him, the better. Q should have been that replacement.

And as I have stated before on the Wings board, I see what Q would bring to the team, even in a limited role. I do not see what Meech brings to the team that others do not.
Of all of the guys I have seen Detroit let go over the past few years, Quincey is the only one I can see really biting them in the butt. From what I have seen of him so far he can possibly become an all-star caliber defenseman. Right now Quicey leads the Kings with time on ice per game with 22:21 minutes/game.

Some people may say that Quincey is getting more ice time because the Kings are a bad team, but right now the Kings have the 10th best goal against in the league (even better than Detroit). To be the top player in ice time on a team that is top 10 in defense right now says a lot about the player and his abilities.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
The problem was not about Detroit having Stuart in over Quincey was a smarter, more experienced move. but Quincey just sucked for a while. He never has made huge strides, he never wowed anyone by his defensive or offensive game, not to mention he was never the most overly physical guy and we needed what Stuart brought to us. Detroit let Quincey go over Meech, Lebda not for ***** and giggles, it was because his potential is not very high.

I wish him all the best, i hope he plays tonight because i would love to see how well or not well he's playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Of all of the guys I have seen Detroit let go over the past few years, Quincey is the only one I can see really biting them in the butt. From what I have seen of him so far he can possibly become an all-star caliber defenseman. Right now Quicey leads the Kings with time on ice per game with 22:21 minutes/game.

Some people may say that Quincey is getting more ice time because the Kings are a bad team, but right now the Kings have the 10th best goal against in the league (even better than Detroit). To be the top player in ice time on a team that is top 10 in defense right now says a lot about the player and his abilities.
I really hope it does come back to bite us in the ass, i really hope the kid flourishes.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post

I agree. The minute I saw Quincey on the ice at TSC I was blown away by his skating ablility and his poise. He's the real deal and I'm really glad DL picked him up.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I wish him all the best, i hope he plays tonight because i would love to see how well or not well he's playing.
I can't foresee him not playing tonight.... They are really happy with him so far.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:38 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Interesting!

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Yeah, he'll be in. Murray seems to really like him (with good reason). He's been awesome.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Quincey has been a great pickup for the Kings. He and Doughty have been awesome thus fard this season. Hopefully the Kings through this rebuild will be where Detroit is in a few years in that they will have more than enough prospects and veterans that anyone waived is at least a decent NHLer. Can see this in 3-5 years. Still need another 2-3 to be a winner first.

The mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Johnny Utah

We just picked up a tough and mobile D man coming from the #1 organization in the NHL and bypassed 4 years of minor league and junior development for nothing.

How can we complain?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
We just picked up a tough and mobile D man coming from the #1 organization in the NHL and bypassed 4 years of minor league and junior development for nothing.
In the #1 minor league/farm system developmental organization in the NHL, no less.

Any young player we pick up from Detroit, no matter how far down their depth chart, is going to impress. Detroit has stayed on top of the league for nearly two decades because of their stellar drafting, farming, and developing - which is exactly the kind of system Dean Lombardi is trying to implement in LA.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
RabbinsDuck

I was disappointed to see Quincey go, and felt he brought an element to the team that Lebda and Meech are lacking (those two are so similar). He was solid in the playoffs two years ago, but really played lackluster whenever given an opportunity since then, when he needed to beat some of Detroit's current defensemen in order to get a roster sopt. Nice pickup for LA, I am not suprised he is playing and playing well, but I am suprised to see him leading in ice time and being used in all situations... good for Quincey!

Detroit will have to continue casting off some of these guys as they have a lot of promising prospects coming through the pipes.

Frustrating that Holland could get nothing for him!

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Pucknut50

Hey everybody if there's one thing us King's fans should never do is question the management of the Red Wings. I hate the Wings but admire their team. They remind me of those great Russian teams where their like machines. So to beat them you have to do what the Kings did last night dump and chase and hit them everytime. As coach Brooks said you have to be the aggressor you sit back like the King's did in the 3rd its only a matter of time before you make a mistake.

Pucknut50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Higgy4

I think the general consensus among Wings fans is that it could have been any one of Quincey, Lilja, Meech, or Lebda that was waived. Holland chose Quincey...c'est la vie.

While I do think the Kings have and will benefit greatly from this move, it will not hurt the Wings at all. The Wings have done a good job re-stocking the minor leagues and keeping the big club rolling without missing a beat. Ericsson will be up sooner rather than later, and the Quincey loss will not even register a bit on the Wings radar.

That being said...I would have waived Meech. But thats just me.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
funky

If Quincey keeps this up, both he and Doughty will be mentioned in Calder talk. Both have walked in and done very well. Quincey in my mind has progressed more then Johnson although that is hard to compair since JJ was injured as the season started and has not been able to show his talent nder the new coach.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Shaun_W_W

With Quincey playing the way he has do you think he will be able to hold a top 4 spot next year with the young talent coming in? Do you really think they will go with no real veterans or will they resign somebody? Because at least 2 of those bottom 4 guys should be ready for fulltime duty next year.
Johnson - Green
Doughty - Quincey
Hickey/Teubert/Voinov/Harrold

Damn thats a young D filled with potential

Last edited by Shaun_W_W: 10-28-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
With Quincey playing the way he has do you think he will be able to hold a top 4 spot next year with the young talent coming in? Do you really think they will go with no real veterans or will they resign somebody? Because at least 2 of those bottom 4 guys should be ready for fulltime duty next year.
Johnson - Green
Doughty - Quincey

Quincey is young himself. If all the D corps fulfil thier potentials, we'll be in a position to trade to strengthen where ever we have a hole at the time. Right now Quincey is showing he will be around for a long time in this league. Who would have thought our top 3 dman this year would be so strong with OD, Doughty and Quincey. And I'm sorry Detriot, I know your deep with talent but surely you can't say Quincey should not have been kept over Lilja at least.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Quincey is young himself. If all the D corps fulfil thier potentials, we'll be in a position to trade to strengthen where ever we have a hole at the time. Right now Quincey is showing he will be around for a long time in this league. Who would have thought our top 3 dman this year would be so strong with OD, Doughty and Quincey. And I'm sorry Detriot, I know your deep with talent but surely you can't say Quincey should not have been kept over Lilja at least.
Jesus could you imagine if DL could lock up all those guys... in a couple years who would be the bottom pairing? DD-Q? JJ-Greene? Hickey Teubert?.... DAMN

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
And I'm sorry Detriot, I know your deep with talent but surely you can't say Quincey should not have been kept over Lilja at least.
Lilja is not as bad as some people make him out to be. He has actually played pretty well for most of his time in Detroit, and after Kronwall he and Stuart are really the only other guys on the blueline who like to hit. He is fantastic on the PK, and has sort of become a favorite of Mike Babcock over the past 3 years. He is a solid veteran guy who makes a fair salary and who has good chemistry on the team.

Lebda and Meech are the guys that I think should have been waived instead of Quincey.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Lebda and Meech are the guys that I think should have been waived instead of Quincey.
Add me to the consensus. Sarcastro is right; Q was the only stay-at-home guy in the system, and had even already acquitted himself well in the 07 playoffs.

LA is building a hell of a blue line.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Johnny Utah

OD, Gauthier can walk after this year and Preissing in the dog house....so the D for the next year for the Kings will at least be...

Doughty, Johnson, Quincey, Preissing, and Harrold.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
OD, Gauthier can walk after this year and Preissing in the dog house....so the D for the next year for the Kings will at least be...

Doughty, Johnson, Quincey, Preissing, and Harrold.
I think Harrold is getting his walking papers soon.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
Johnson - Green
Doughty - Quincey

Hickey and O`Donnell could very well be that third pairing, with Harrold as a spare. This of course is if my Trade-Preissing theory comes to fruition.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
Hickey and O`Donnell could very well be that third pairing, with Harrold as a spare. This of course is if my Trade-Preissing theory comes to fruition.
No one is going to trade for Preissing unless the Kings throw in a decent kid with him. Harrold on the other hand is either going to be traded or sent to Manchester.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote