HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Percentage of Habs fans speak French?

Old
10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
mista_lordz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
Surprisingly a lot of Frenchmen from France speak better English then Quebecer in general.
No buddy i cant let you say that... There is some QC, usually separatist that refuse to speak English, but i think the biggest part of them speaks at least a bit of English...

The way the languages are taught in France is awful... Most of us dont speak English at all...

Edit: You might be right Jekoh, but at least your language is understood everywhere... Beside a part of Belgium, Quebec, some african country and some pacific islands noone speaks French...

mista_lordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I was born in Montreal...Went to a French elementary school and then a private English school for high school and university. I speak English at home...My dad was also born in Montreal and my entire family, on both sides, speaks English first. All my friends are also English and my girlfriend, who is half French-Canadian, also speaks English first.

I also speak French fairly fluently, as does my family and most of my friends. But I will always speak English first unless someone speaks to me in French first.

Basically, this is just to say that most Habs fans (from Montreal at least) are bilingual.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
GoGionta

Send a message via AIM to GoGionta Send a message via MSN to GoGionta
I speak french first, and wish my english was a little bit better. But thank you to the internet and tv shows, i'm not unilangual like i used to a couple years ago. Personally, i think that saying every Montrealers are bilangual is kind of exagerating things. I know tons of people that can't read a book, or watch a movie in english, worse talking it. But yeah, lots of people knows at least the basics of the language, especially since many jobs need it.

Last edited by GoGionta: 10-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.
GoGionta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_lordz View Post
No buddy i cant let you say that... There is some QC, usually separatist that refuse to speak English, but i think the biggest part of them speaks at least a bit of English...

The way the languages are taught in France is awful... Most of us dont speak English at all...

Edit: You might be right Jekoh, but at least your language is understood everywhere... Beside a part of Belgium, Quebec, some african country and some pacific islands noone speaks French...
I don't think anyone refuse to learn english because of a political point of view. The place in Québec where french people are the most separatist is in Montreal or in its suburbs, and that's also where the people are the most bllingual. And that's not because it's necessary to speak english anywhere in Montreal: I lived downtown for 6-7 years and had to speak english to help people on the street 5 times a year. While I don't exactly speak fluently in english, I'm still able to communicate without a problem and I understand it well too. And I think I can write it better than a lot of english people here...It's the same with my friends, and were pretty much all separatists. Still we like anglos and stuff. Were just not Canadians...

LeMAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizz View Post
I speak french first, and wish my english was a little bit better. But thank you to the internet and tv shows, i'm not unilangual like i used to a couple years ago. Personally, i think that saying every Montrealers are bilangual is kind of exagerating things. I know tons of people that can't read a book, or watch a movie in english, worst talking it. But yeah, lots of people knows at least the basics of the language, especially since many jobs need it.
The reason why English is a hard language to learn for people is due to the amount of slang we use. My cousin learned Icelandic (which is one of the hardest languages to learn) and it took him over 2 years just to complete sentences. Here in the States more and more companies want bilingual (English/Spanish) to even get a job.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:

I hear you. My girlfriend is from France and can't speak english. Her sister too, and her mother even less. The way they teach english in here seems more accurate. I know I had this "submersion" on my fifth year of primary school. Half the year, it was all english. And the other half, all french. I thought it was great.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
I hear you. My girlfriend is from France and can't speak english. Her sister too, and her mother even less. The way they teach english in here seems more accurate. I know I had this "submersion" on my fifth year of primary school. Half the year, it was all english. And the other half, all french. I thought it was great.
PIA
programme intensif danglais
I went there in 6th grade

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I'm from Manitoba but went to a french immersion school for 8 years. I don't speak french well but I understand what the announcers are saying. My french has actually improved alot since I got RDS 2 years ago. Watching approx 75 hab games a year will do that. Besides all you need to understand as a habs fan is LE BUUUUUT and Olay olay olay olay etc

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would say that's pretty ..clueless as i've ever seen a post. You would be surprised how the magority of french Quebecers even if they live close to the US are unilingual. It may be different in Montreal of course but i've myself been surprised throughout the years to discover how many know so little about the english language. I myself am an anomaly because i've been a USAphile and have been immersed in US pop culture since I was young and take what I know for granted. But I can't count the times where I fell on my butt to discover how some do not know the basic things in speaking english and the US/English Canadian culture.
We might be unilingual, but I can tell you that most people I know around here can make the understood in english; Its awful, their grammar is extremely bad, but they succeed. Most of younger people are actually good in english, it is older people that has issues.

Quote:

Absolutely nothing to do with it. separatist don't want to learn a word of english what an ignorant sentence.

I agree with the rest of your post, but that sentence is so not true.

Its like saying Ontarians are all liberals, or albertans are all extremely rich.

BTW why isn't that thread in Habs board?

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
DollarsAndSens

Even though the Sens are my #1 team these days, I still have a soft spot for the Habs because they were my favourite team when I was a kid. Since I was born in Quebec but raised in Ontario, I was lucky to get the best of both worlds. I'm still to this day fluent in both languages despite English being my primary one (since I live in the States). My mother's side of the family lives in the suburbs of Montreal and they're all francophone but they speak pretty decent English.

I don't think it really matters what you speak, if you like the team then that's all that matters.

DollarsAndSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

I understand, it's probably just me and the frenchmen I speak with at school.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:17 PM
MXD

As long as they don't say things like

- Voilà une montée de Brunet avec Lebeau derrière.

You don't need more than basic french to understand what Houle and Brunet are saying.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
LyleOdelein

I don't know French too well, but I've picked up quite a bit from watching RDS. I actually enjoy RDS broadcasts more than most English ones. Once you get the jist of what the commentators are saying, it's just a better experience because they are so into the game. I find that RDS pumps up the crowd volume, too, so Bell Centre games sound awesome.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Year 101

Montreal as a city is more or less completely bilingual but its hard to talk about the total % of french speaking habs fans since they range to all over the world. RDS is easy to follow though i mean it's just game by game and as long as u know tir et le but shot and the goal its simple or just mute the sound and watch the game lol. or the easiest way is turn on the game on rds and go to cjad 800 am and listen tot he radio in english

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Dunlop

I'm born in Montreal and I was an unilingual french but thanks technology nowadays with the internet and movies and everything,learning English is pretty easy. I have some problem with my writing and my speaking but I learn it a little bit more everyday. Why would we have a problem with habs fans not speaking french or not speaking English? In all hockey teams nowadays all the players are not speaking the same language.Hockey is one if not the most bilingual sport in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
As long as they don't say things like

- Voilà une montée de Brunet avec Lebeau derrière.

You don't need more than basic french to understand what Houle and Brunet are saying.

Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
No matter you're allegiance to one or both of the official languages, the beauty of being a Habs fan is exactly the fact that no matter the language barrier, we all connect on the same basis: Our passion for our team.

It's beautiful to realize that, I know I did when I was a youth growing up among both english and french kids. Our knowledge of hockey and Canadiens made us become good friends.
amen

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kostitsyn Bros View Post
Montreal as a city is more or less completely bilingual but its hard to talk about the total % of french speaking habs fans since they range to all over the world. RDS is easy to follow though i mean it's just game by game and as long as u know tir et le but shot and the goal its simple or just mute the sound and watch the game lol. or the easiest way is turn on the game on rds and go to cjad 800 am and listen tot he radio in english
exactly. i would assume hab-nation breaks down as follows:

bilingual montrelaers
francophone quebecers outside the city
franco-americans and franco-canadians who feel an allegiance to the team because of their linguistic roots
and of course anglophones from canada and the US that embrace the legacy and passion of the team and its players.
there is also a new 'breed' of hab fan - those from fracne, finland, russia, etc..who relate to the euro stars on the team.

in terms of RDS, many anglos gravitated to it because of the crap ass CBC. Pierre Houde is a phenomenal play by play guy (I'm a bilingual montrealer) and he's just superb. brunet? meh...
lol
anyway, the play by play is quite easy top follow for anglophones..you can easily pick it up based on repetition etc..

'et le buuuuut'
'ma parole, quelle chance de marquer'
LOL

it's just when the brunet and houde banter picks up i can see that becoming difficult..just stick with it and soon you'll have a 2nd language!

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote