HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O/T: Verizon Fios TV...MSG HD?

Old
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You also lose the picture in storms.

That's the main reason I switched. Nothing sucks more than missing a hockey game because of a big storm.
Don't forget about dropouts from solar flare and sun spots! I used to get a sad sun face on my screen.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
You also lose the picture in storms.

That's the main reason I switched. Nothing sucks more than missing a hockey game because of a big storm.
It has to be a major downpour for the picture to go out, the kind of downpour where you don't even go to your car in the driveway because it's coming down in sheets. As soon as it lets up even a little bit you can run to your car...and your picture is back.

The Hi-Def dish is a more oval-shaped than the old pizza-size dishes, perhaps why there is very little outage now. The truth is I left Cablevision 11 years ago, and I had more storm outages with Cablevision than I do with DirecTV.

If you're not getting this information through personal experience, but from Cablevision commercials, well, take that for what it's worth. They spend a lot of money to make you think the satellite picture goes out every time it rains. A lot of that is propoganda.

As for the picture, it's nothing short of stunning. A year ago DirecTV put up a new satellite and the HD channels went from 9 to over 100, and they're right now getting another satellite into place for more HD.

The HD picture is absolutely amazing.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I had the oval HD dish.

It still had the same problems. I only switched to FiOS about a year ago after 4 or 5 years with DirecTV.

I had problems (as did EVERY SINGLE DirecTV customer I knew -- including family) when it rained. First the picture would get all jagged and crazy. Then it'd actually go out.

I love DirecTV and I might eventually switch back as Verizon's customer service is ****ing terrible (had to call the Better Business Bureau on them to get my free ****ing TV after almost a year of back and forth) and they don't have MSGHD.

But the FiOS picture is a DEFINITE upgrade from DirecTV. If you ask me, it's vastly different.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I had the oval HD dish.

It still had the same problems. I only switched to FiOS about a year ago after 4 or 5 years with DirecTV.

I had problems (as did EVERY SINGLE DirecTV customer I knew -- including family) when it rained. First the picture would get all jagged and crazy. Then it'd actually go out.
Weird, every single DirecTV customer I know has very little outage just like me!

And yes, that includes family as well...

Old
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Weird, every single DirecTV customer I know has very little outage just like me!

And yes, that includes family as well...
Either they changed something huge in the last year or so or you're out in the rain more than I am (as I tend to stay indoors during rainy days)

Old
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Fletch

I had DirectTV problems when it was very foggy and rainy at the same time. Rain, and even wind alone didn't affect me too much (and my dish was attached to a grill on my balcony).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Either they changed something huge in the last year or so or you're out in the rain more than I am (as I tend to stay indoors during rainy days)
Exactly, a new satellite became operational a year ago in October. This allowed for the additional 100 HD channels (which included MSG HD), and made the dish susceptible to rain fade during only the most severe part of the most severe storms.

At lease for me, my friends and family.

Old
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
this enhanced extreme hd that they use helps make the regular definition channels looks pretty clear too...... so waiting for msg hd won't kill me.
Depends on the size of your tv. If you have a tv 46" or less, you should be ok. If it is bigger, you will probably notice a difference.

I would love to get Fios, but a) not available in my area yet b) no msg-hd and c) last I heard no Center Ice.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Ace2008

whats the cheapest cost to get center ice + msg HD and msg HD 2

in N. NJ

and in Midtown NYC

just 1 note watching on both HD and sTV sets

for just the service...no movie channels/ ppv/ etc...no Cable channels at all needed just the trio of MSG HD, Center ICE and Versus/ or whatever shows the rest of the games

whats the cheapest? for 1 yr.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Guys just wanted to bump this because Verizon Fios now has NHL center ice and i'm hearing NHL Network is next. I got my Center Ice today so now i'm happy.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Guys just wanted to bump this because Verizon Fios now has NHL center ice and i'm hearing NHL Network is next. I got my Center Ice today so now i'm happy.
Any chance they offer it in HD? I've been waiting for TWC to hook us up, and just now they are finally clearing up bandwidth for extra channels. They should add about 50 HD channels to the Manhattan lineup by the end of the year...better late than never.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
King Henrik

Verizon Fios gets NHL Center Ice and NHL Network!!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=389066

King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
drewcon40

I'll be just as excited if Verizon can get MSG HD.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
TheGreat199

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
I'll be just as excited if Verizon can get MSG HD.
Last week Cablevision was called to the FCC to defend their loophole. Hopefully it gets overturned. I am getting Fios next week, and sure would hope they will have MSG HD soon. Just need that and Extra Innings next...

[URL="http://http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6607848.html"]

TheGreat199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
McMonster

Finally! I can get the NHL Network again!....

:y o:

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:23 PM
McMonster

does anybody know when the NHL Network will be officially added?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

****ing finally. Glad to see that stupid company get off their *****.

Old
10-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
does anybody know when the NHL Network will be officially added?
I'm not sure, it hasn't been added to my lineup yet.

On another note I found a cool channel called ESPN-U. I was shocked to find college hockey games on there. Shocked becasue it's ESPN and they hate hockey but the games are really fun. I got to watch JVR the other nite.

Old
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
blue68

Send a message via AIM to blue68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
I think your the only one in the tristate area that has good things to say about cablevision. You dont have constant equipment failures? I have went through 4 DVR boxes (wich sucks b/c u loose all your recordings when they crash), 2 regular boxes and 3 modems in the last year. My tv's constantly pixelate out and my on demands dont work (they are all choppy). They have the nerve to charge me over $260 a month
I bet there are a lot more happy customers with Cablevision than you'd think. I switched to Verizon along with two of my co-workers and all three of us are back with Cablevision.
Ordered Center Ice package and had problems with getting a black screen on all the stations Called Cablevision about 7, 7:30 and got a tech guy who walked me through fixing the problem. Try getting customer service at Verizon after 5 or on weekends. You won't.
I was harassed by them after returning to Cablevision for equipment i returned and for which I had a signed receipt and they sent me to a collections agency - it took a letter to the FCC and then no verbal or written apology or notification that the charges were cleared up.
Plus Cablevision also offered me a two-year deal which brought my monthly bill lower than verizon besides for the same plans and boxes.

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68 View Post
I bet there are a lot more happy customers with Cablevision than you'd think. I switched to Verizon along with two of my co-workers and all three of us are back with Cablevision.
Ordered Center Ice package and had problems with getting a black screen on all the stations Called Cablevision about 7, 7:30 and got a tech guy who walked me through fixing the problem. Try getting customer service at Verizon after 5 or on weekends. You won't.
I was harassed by them after returning to Cablevision for equipment i returned and for which I had a signed receipt and they sent me to a collections agency - it took a letter to the FCC and then no verbal or written apology or notification that the charges were cleared up.
Plus Cablevision also offered me a two-year deal which brought my monthly bill lower than verizon besides for the same plans and boxes.
The reason you had a problem getting rid of Fios is because if you did have it you agreed to a one year contract with them, so if you canceled already they are going to charge you a cancelation fee. As far as Cablevision I never had it so I can't comment but I have heard not so great things about thier service.

Also I have called Verizon a lot for many different reasons and I was never on hold for more than 20 mins waiting for someone. Time Warner is a very different story though.