HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we get William Shatner to sing the nation anthem?

Old
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

vCash: 500
that is at the same time the most amazing idea, yet the most ill concieved suggestion I've ever heard

btw he made a record a couple of years back ... AWESOME !!!

actually got really well recieved b the critics

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-28-2008 at 05:24 PM.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
btw he made a record a couple of years back ... AWESOME !!!

actually got really well recieved b the critics
Melnick used to play clips and yeah, it wasn't bad. His original effort though, nothing like the plaintive wail, 'hey, Mr Tambourine man, Mr. Tambouirine Man....'

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
RC51

Nope, I got a better idea

Get the girls from Chez Paris to dress up in real sexy Canadian's out fits and have one of them sing Oh Canada ah-la-"happy birthday mr. president"

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Shatner did it, there'd be two Captain Kirks in the Bell Centre.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Go Habs Go88

Just signed the petition that would be great. And to answer questions of do they play the National Anthem at football games yes they do

Go Habs Go88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
How about banning anthems from hockey games instead?
Exactly, national anthems have nothing to do in NHL games. It's not a world championship, it's a city vs. another one... No point in playing anthems.

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
Exactly, national anthems have nothing to do in NHL games. It's not a world championship, it's a city vs. another one... No point in playing anthems.
Been saying this for ages..

Plus, it's not like these teams are even mostly american or canadian. It's plain insulting when you have teams that are mostly comprised of Europeans and they never hear their anthems played.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley_5054 View Post
the word banning is kind of strong. You should never not have the right to play your national anthem regardless of your feelings on the matter. Playing it more as a special occasion type of thing is more to my taste though. Then again, I don't really care a whole lot.

How would Shatner dress ? Star Trek ? Sakespearean, his present gig ? The guy's been around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Been saying this for ages..

Plus, it's not like these teams are even mostly american or canadian. It's plain insulting when you have teams that are mostly comprised of Europeans and they never hear their anthems played.
It isn't going to happen down south, and that's a debate we should leave alone for Beaker's sake and any team that decides to do this here will have more publicity to deal with than it'd be worth.

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-28-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
peperebougon*

I'd prefer Richard Cheese

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He released a spoken word album about, I'm guessing 35-40 years ago that was pretty funny, but I think it was before he learned to laugh at himself, probably wasn't intended to be funny. I remember him doing what sounded like a Shakespearian version of Mr.Tambourine Man that was particularly odd.

I believe though that he did something else, maybe 4-5 years ago, that truthfully, didn't sound too bad.

I'm all for it. I think that Carbo should do his post game conference in a Shatner impression though, make it William Shatner night.
That record (The Transformed Man?) from the early 70's was really funny. At the time it was just kind of a head-scratcher but later even he had to laugh. He did a rendition of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds that was universally panned as the worst cover of a Beatles tune

back in the day before all the Much Music, MTV, VH1 music video some groups did film videos. Shatner did one for "Sky Pilot" by Eric Burdon and the Animals. He is basically just walking around the beach in miltary garb while the tune plays. Definitely 60's/Nam/anti-war type stuff prevalent then.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
That record (The Transformed Man?) from the early 70's was really funny. At the time it was just kind of a head-scratcher but later even he had to laugh. He did a rendition of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds that was universally panned as the worst cover of a Beatles tune

back in the day before all the Much Music, MTV, VH1 music video some groups did film videos. Shatner did one for "Sky Pilot" by Eric Burdon and the Animals. He is basically just walking around the beach in miltary garb while the tune plays. Definitely 60's/Nam/anti-war type stuff prevalent then.
about 20 years ago, I was at a good friend's sister's place. She probably knows more about music than anyone I know. She had this on, vinyl of course, and was pretending like it was some masterpiece that obviously I wasn't savant enough to appreciate.

Thank God she eventually laughed and I clued in.

Old
10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

On a pretty funny note, Shat's sister works at the Jewish General hospital, I mentioned the petition to her and she laughed ...

He's a busy guy though ! I hope he does it !

DO IT SHAT ! DO IT !!!

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
about 20 years ago, I was at a good friend's sister's place. She probably knows more about music than anyone I know. She had this on, vinyl of course, and was pretending like it was some masterpiece that obviously I wasn't savant enough to appreciate.

Thank God she eventually laughed and I clued in.
Man that's funny. I have to give that lady credit for keeping a straight face for that gag. It definitely gets "what the hell is that" looks 99% of the time

Were you caught in the just trying to be polite game? Or were you worried you were missing something? Or maybe a bit of both?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:12 PM
onice

On another site I frequent, the moderator told us this little tidbit about Shatner.

Apparently, a gorilla who used sign language told her handler that she was in love with William Shatner. (Please, no jokes about Captain Kirk and his sexual inclinations.) Anyhow, word got back to Billy "I Like Them Blue Aliens" Shatner and he took 6 months to learn sign language and went to visit that female gorilla. He explained that he was involved with another woman and couldn't return her affections. The female gorilla, unlike most human females, took it well and wished him luck.

The moderator on this other site was so impressed by Shatner's humanity, or apeness if you like, that she forgave Shatner all his ham performances.

Now, before McPhee & al jump all over me and call me a trekkie, I have to say that's it. That's all the inside scoop I know on William Shatner..........I think.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:59 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Man that's funny. I have to give that lady credit for keeping a straight face for that gag. It definitely gets "what the hell is that" looks 99% of the time

Were you caught in the just trying to be polite game? Or were you worried you were missing something? Or maybe a bit of both?
I didn't know how to react. This girl, well she's about 45 now, has the most rapier like wit of anyone I've ever met. When you're around her, you're always a bit concerend that maybe you haven't clued into something and you're just about to be ripped apart. I can't talk to her for more than a minute or two before I lose it.