HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds at Caps....10/28

Old
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
ugh ... whatta surprise ... we lose in Shootout

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:14 AM
lstcyr

Took pictures at the game last night. Only have time to put them out there right now. I'll try to add comments about the game later today.

http://public.fotki.com/Lstcyr/preds-vs-capitals-o/

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Really nice pictures lst. I look forward to your game comments. IT must have been a blast!

10-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Took pictures at the game last night. Only have time to put them out there right now. I'll try to add comments about the game later today.

http://public.fotki.com/Lstcyr/preds-vs-capitals-o/
Missed the last home game while I was in Cincinnati, but noticed in your photos that in #19 Weber is wearing an "A" pregame, yet later in the album, he is not...Hamhuis is still wearing the "A".

Simply think that is weird, but maybe we know who is wearing the second "A" after our tenth game...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
thanks for the pictures, great seats!

TSN reports: Short Handed Caps Defeat Preds

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Missed the last home game while I was in Cincinnati, but noticed in your photos that in #19 Weber is wearing an "A" pregame, yet later in the album, he is not...Hamhuis is still wearing the "A".

Simply think that is weird, but maybe we know who is wearing the second "A" after our tenth game...

Good eyes! I didn't even notice that.

The guy with the cheerleaders is my son, the lucky dog.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
lstcyr

So, my son and I were at the game on the glass just inside the blue line in the Caps attack twice zone. We were quite surprised at the start of the game as it appeared that the Preds knew we were and arranged for most of the action to happen in this zone in the first period.

To start off, I've been to many, many Preds games and thought I had a good feel for the speed, flow and power of the game. It was a much stronger experience being right on the glass. You really felt the speed of the players and the power of the hits, passes, etc.
It made me marvel again that these guys do this on skates.

On the other hand, I got a strong feeling from the beginning of the game that the Preds were out of synch. The Caps seemed quicker, stronger, and worked harder at winning the battles. Not that the Preds didn't try but the team just didn't have it together. They'd pick up the puck move out of the zone and then a lousy pass or a misconnected pass or a steal and back they came. Ellis, I thought, did a good job. You could tell that he could see the shot and was set up properly facing the shooter. Several times he gave up rebounds and our guys would clear the puck away so I was pleased with that. Unfortunately, they usually didn't clear it far enough away. There were several times that Washington just missed the open net or couldn't handle the puck when they had a clear opportunity. It could easily have been 5-1 or 6-1.

After a quick sigh of relief that we were still in the game, the second period started with more of the same and then, it was like a switch, and you could see them play better and with a little momentum. They tied the score up but they still weren't playing together as a team.

Then, the third period came and all of the action was down the other end as the Preds played like we know they can. Unfortunately, being on the glass means you have poor sight lines into the far zone so it was a lot of video watching at times.

I can't say I was impressed with any of our team's play though Dumont does seem to be having a good, but quiet on the ice, year. Our defensemen (Koistinen stood out as not being fast enough to contain the Caps but that might be just the couple of times I noticed him.) couldn't seem to contain the Caps rushes especially Alexander Semin, who was very impressive. This Caps team will do some damage if they can get a good or hot goalie. I noticed Joel Ward several times. He was energetic, hard hitting, and working his butt off. I wondered whether Tootoo has been told to hold in his fighting tendencies a little too much. He looked to me to be slower than he used to be and not as free with his hits.

I got to see the shootout at our end. It was clear what to me what the Caps were trying to do. Make Ellis commit and then roof it. Both of the scores went that way and the two he stopped never got up in the air. He needs to work on that.

We were very lucky to get one point. As usual, the Verizon Center was quieter than Nashville's place though it was louder than I've seen it in the past - helps that they have something to cheer for. The more places I see games, the more I get to appreciate the Sommet Center. It has a much better atmosphere and people. Caps fans I met were nice and competitive but not obnoxious.

Old
10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
So, my son and I were at the game on the glass just inside the blue line in the Caps attack twice zone. We were quite surprised at the start of the game as it appeared that the Preds knew we were and arranged for most of the action to happen in this zone in the first period.

To start off, I've been to many, many Preds games and thought I had a good feel for the speed, flow and power of the game. It was a much stronger experience being right on the glass. You really felt the speed of the players and the power of the hits, passes, etc.
It made me marvel again that these guys do this on skates.

On the other hand, I got a strong feeling from the beginning of the game that the Preds were out of synch. The Caps seemed quicker, stronger, and worked harder at winning the battles. Not that the Preds didn't try but the team just didn't have it together. They'd pick up the puck move out of the zone and then a lousy pass or a misconnected pass or a steal and back they came. Ellis, I thought, did a good job. You could tell that he could see the shot and was set up properly facing the shooter. Several times he gave up rebounds and our guys would clear the puck away so I was pleased with that. Unfortunately, they usually didn't clear it far enough away. There were several times that Washington just missed the open net or couldn't handle the puck when they had a clear opportunity. It could easily have been 5-1 or 6-1.

After a quick sigh of relief that we were still in the game, the second period started with more of the same and then, it was like a switch, and you could see them play better and with a little momentum. They tied the score up but they still weren't playing together as a team.

Then, the third period came and all of the action was down the other end as the Preds played like we know they can. Unfortunately, being on the glass means you have poor sight lines into the far zone so it was a lot of video watching at times.

I can't say I was impressed with any of our team's play though Dumont does seem to be having a good, but quiet on the ice, year. Our defensemen (Koistinen stood out as not being fast enough to contain the Caps but that might be just the couple of times I noticed him.) couldn't seem to contain the Caps rushes especially Alexander Semin, who was very impressive. This Caps team will do some damage if they can get a good or hot goalie. I noticed Joel Ward several times. He was energetic, hard hitting, and working his butt off. I wondered whether Tootoo has been told to hold in his fighting tendencies a little too much. He looked to me to be slower than he used to be and not as free with his hits.

I got to see the shootout at our end. It was clear what to me what the Caps were trying to do. Make Ellis commit and then roof it. Both of the scores went that way and the two he stopped never got up in the air. He needs to work on that.

We were very lucky to get one point. As usual, the Verizon Center was quieter than Nashville's place though it was louder than I've seen it in the past - helps that they have something to cheer for. The more places I see games, the more I get to appreciate the Sommet Center. It has a much better atmosphere and people. Caps fans I met were nice and competitive but not obnoxious.
Thanks for the update! I think your on to something when it comes to our lack of flow as a team. Its really been that way for most of Trotz's tenure as a coach. I'm not saying that he is a bad coach, etc., etc., but controlling the flow of the game has never been a strong suit for any of the Predator teams. Even our 05-06 team went through major stretches of horrible offensive play, and the addition of Forsberg was not enough to take our style to a new level (granted, it could have been the other injuries that helped cause this).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Does anyone remember what the line combos for this game looked like?

10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
vopatsrash

I just got back from DC. My plane and train got me to the hotel on Tuesday at 6:15, so I was able to go and got there just in time. Some quick thoughts…

-Washington is a great place to go to a game. The subway system is very user friendly and brings you right to the verizon center. The atmosphere and area around the arena is great. I highly recommend anyone visiting the area to go to a caps/wizards game. It was a blast.

-The fans were nice. Everyone seemed to have a red jersey and seemed to be into it, but no one was obnoxious.

-Say what you want about the Nashville chanting (I’m not always a fan of everything that happens in sommet), but that really brings a different energy to Nashville games. It is much better in game atmosphere and intensity in Nashville than Washington. I know it was Nashville instead of, say, Philly or Pitt or Atlanta (or whoever they get fired up for) and no AO and it was a Tuesday, but Nashville still has more overall energy when they’re playing, say, Carolina on a Tuesday.

I guess what makes Nashville’s atmosphere great is also what hurts the long-term viability of the market: no corporate support.

-With that said, the Caps fans were good, passionate, knowledgeable fans.

-I didn’t eat at verizon, but the food selection puts sommet to shame.

-One great moment that probably only Nash fans noticed was the Caps mascot throwing food out to the crowd near the press box during a stoppage and it looked like Pete and Terry were leaning out of the booth in hopes of scoring a hot dog from the mascot. Sadly, they were denied.

-Like Nashville, the upper level was full and there were a lot of empties in the lower bowl. Unlike Nashville, most of those empties were probably sold.

-It really hit me sitting in that arena how easy it is to be a fan of a team like that, where you can just go to a game and enjoy it. When I was surveying the crowd and saw the empties in the lower bowl, my gut instinct went into “oh know, it’s another night of bad attendance.” Then, I realized I wasn’t in Nashville and they don’t have to worry about that.

It made me think about how, as a Nashville fan, every game feels like a fight for the survival of the team. You worry about the empty seats when you get there, then hope the team wins in an exciting way so the fans/corporations that are there get sucked into the experience and buy more tickets. In Washington, I just watched the game and enjoyed it. When I go to games of other teams I root for in other sports, I just watch the game and enjoy it. Seeing the Preds in another arena really highlights how difficult it is to be a fan of this team on an emotional level.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
-Like Nashville, the upper level was full and there were a lot of empties in the lower bowl. Unlike Nashville, most of those empties were probably sold.

-It really hit me sitting in that arena how easy it is to be a fan of a team like that, where you can just go to a game and enjoy it. When I was surveying the crowd and saw the empties in the lower bowl, my gut instinct went into “oh know, it’s another night of bad attendance.” Then, I realized I wasn’t in Nashville and they don’t have to worry about that.

It made me think about how, as a Nashville fan, every game feels like a fight for the survival of the team. You worry about the empty seats when you get there, then hope the team wins in an exciting way so the fans/corporations that are there get sucked into the experience and buy more tickets. In Washington, I just watched the game and enjoyed it. When I go to games of other teams I root for in other sports, I just watch the game and enjoy it. Seeing the Preds in another arena really highlights how difficult it is to be a fan of this team on an emotional level.
Great write up. Agreed with everything above. You really hit the nail on the head with this. I can't even really just sit, relax, and enjoy the game anymore when I watch this team.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
This is a very telling paragraph. Let us all hope that the person that buys Boot's share of our team puts these fears to rest. A supporter that doesn't need to make a noticeable profit on this team is what we need.....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote