HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers To Lock Up Dubinsky Long Term?

Old
10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Folks please talk about the issue, not the source please. It makes for better conversation.

Thanks.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
tjs252

The monkey wrench in signing him isn't the money committed to Drury, Gomez, Rozsival, Redden and Lundqvist, it's that the cap is tied to league revenue. We could see the cap come down this offseason and it's almost a certainty that it's coming down the offseason after as the disposable income crunch can't necessarily kill the NHL's revenue now as the season tickets are already paid for for 2008/9, not the case for 2009/10.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:51 PM
NYR Viper

just because they cant sign a contract doesnt mean dubi and his agent cant have negotiations before that date....i hope they get something done that first day....less waiting

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
The monkey wrench in signing him isn't the money committed to Drury, Gomez, Rozsival, Redden and Lundqvist, it's that the cap is tied to league revenue. We could see the cap come down this offseason and it's almost a certainty that it's coming down the offseason after as the disposable income crunch can't necessarily kill the NHL's revenue now as the season tickets are already paid for for 2008/9, not the case for 2009/10.
Well, technically speaking, the fact that Drury, Gomez, Redden, and Rozsival are all overpaid does have a lot to do with it. Sather shouldnt be handing out contracts assuming the cap will go up every year.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
DutchShamrock

One of Drury, Redden or Roszival will have to go sooner or later. That has nothing to do with performance or personal feelings towards anyone. It's numbers. This season we have Dubinsky, Zherdev and Callahan up. Mara and Khalinin are up this season as well. Staal the season after that plus Dawes and Sjostrom (I believe). Not everyone will get a significant raise or even stay here, but our core guys will be getting paid more and hopefully its by us.

Of course none of the above addresses our hole on right wing and, let's be honest, the 2 holes on left wing. There just isn't enough cap space to address all the needs, but we can eliminate an expensive contract on defense and replace it with the cheaper contract(s) of Sanguinetti or Del Zotto. We can replace on of our expnsive contracts at center and replace it with the cheaper one(s) of Anisimov or Korpikoski.

At least our cap constraints almost completly prohibit the youth for vet trades of the past (Dawes, Sjostrom, Sanguinetti for Gaborik)

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Call me crazy but I would want to lock Dubi up to a 10 year contract. Bad idea? Good idea?
Bad idea...committing to anyone for more than 5-6 years is asking for trouble IMO.
Signing Dubi is a good idea though. He is clearly part of the fabric and needs to be secured.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Interesting situation for Rangers' management, they have 5 forwards, 4 defenseman and Lundqvist signed to a cap hit of 41,158,810 next season, with everyone else either UFA or RFA (According to: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR). The cap as it is now (56.7 million) would leave about 15.5 million or so in room, not counting any penalties or "dead space". This could fluctuate and with the world economy in its present state, who knows, but a slight increase seems possible.

Problem is, if Dubinsky and Zherdev both continue with good seasons, management could find itself eyeing 4-5 million for each of them to return or about 10 million total, though that's just an estimate. That would leave around 5.5 million (not counting any cap increases or decreases) in available spending for 6 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 backup goalie, assuming an extra forward and D-man is carried. I have to imagine a major trade is in the works to dump someone (Rozsival or possibly Drury), otherwise the roster will be filled out with bargain-basement players and that wouldn't make much sense.

Strange to see these numbers and still hear about the NYR pursuing Sundin, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, or any other big name players. Keeping young talent like Dubinsky and Zherdev has to be at the top of Slather's list this off-season and if both continue their level of play, any pay increase will surely be deserved. Should make for an interesting trade deadline at the least.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Fletch

the cap decreasing could be a decent bet. The fact that season tickets were purchased prior to the recent meltdown would help out a bit, but buying tickets at face that are unsold may be silly if you can buy them from someone with seasons at a discount. Further, if the dollar strengthens against the CAD (and I believe it has, but haven't watched lately), then the cap will be hit further. Nobody's done the analsys of what the CAD appreciation has done to the cap in terms of actual dollars. I'd guess it does have a more than marginal effect on the cap.

Back to the numbers...10 guys at $41MM is too much, and I don't know how it gets resolved next season (with Dubi and Zherdev needing to be resigned (and to a lesser extent, Cally)). The following season you would Staal, I believe, and that would really spell trouble. The Rangers need someone like Del Zotto to make the jump to make Redden or Rozsival expendable (and assuming they are doing well and are moveable). That's some pretty high hopes, of course, or a guy like Anisimov needs to show he's a third line center making one of Gomez or Drury expendable. There are scenarios, but each scenario would seem to take a step back in order to keep what they already have and tie their hands to sign new guys. It's not an impossible situation, but it doesn't seem as though it was planned out all too great either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
In The Flesh

is it possible to dump Roszival and Redden?? Are their teams out there willing to take on their contracts?? Lock Mara up, say 3yrs, he's the veteren presence back there, Staal and Girardi are growing into real solid d men, Sangs and Potter both should be ready next season and then we have Kalinin or whoever else. Our d corps would be young, but not bad. That would shed a lot of cap and provide for some much needed breathing room.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
is it possible to dump Roszival and Redden?? Are their teams out there willing to take on their contracts?? Lock Mara up, say 3yrs, he's the veteren presence back there, Staal and Girardi are growing into real solid d men, Sangs and Potter both should be ready next season and then we have Kalinin or whoever else. Our d corps would be young, but not bad. That would shed a lot of cap and provide for some much needed breathing room.
Yea, but then we would have to waste another 10 million getting two more top 6 defenseman, so what good would that do?

A top 6 of:

Staal - Girardi
Sangs - Mara
Potter - Kalinin

That is not good at all. We pretty much have 4 guys who are bottom pairing dmen there (including Sangs who isnt going to magically turn into a top 4 dman when he steps on NHL ice).

Keep Redden, toss Rosy. Sign someone for 2-3 million. Bring up Sangs/Potter. We dont need to shed millions of dollars all at once.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yea, but then we would have to waste another 10 million getting two more top 6 defenseman, so what good would that do?

A top 6 of:

Staal - Girardi
Sangs - Mara
Potter - Kalinin

That is not good at all. We pretty much have 4 guys who are bottom pairing dmen there (including Sangs who isnt going to magically turn into a top 4 dman when he steps on NHL ice).

Keep Redden, toss Rosy. Sign someone for 2-3 million. Bring up Sangs/Potter. We dont need to shed millions of dollars all at once.
that works too

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
some ottawa fans seem to think a deal like rozsival(5 million) for vermette(2.75) would make sense for both teams and i would have to agree....the rangers add a top-6 forward with promise and they save 2.25 million....kill two birds with one stone

Old
10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

A top 6 of:

Staal - Girardi
Sangs - Mara
Potter - Kalinin

i agree.....next season i would love to see two spots open

staal-mara(resigned for 3 years)
redden-girardi
potter-sanguinetti/del zotto

to me that defense can be shuffled around but if the rangers want to play an up-tempo game with the defense joining the rush that looks good to me....and if kalinin works out and sanguinetti and del zotto look like they need some more time then i would resign kalinin......i think shedding rozsivals contract makes the msot sense right now

Old
10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
SkerZ
LGR

I really hope they do sign him to a 5 year deal....He is a great player and it would be dumb to get rid of him

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Dubinsky - RFA

I know this is probably gonna spark some negative feedback but if a team comes in and throws a xx year, 5M per-year contract at Dubie this offseason, what are the odds of the Rags being able to match? Obviously you guys are real high on him, as you should be he is a very good player already and may end up being great, but with all the big contracts the Rangers already have as well as the new contracts they will have to give out at year's end in Zherdev, Dawes, Kalinin(a d-man to replace him) and re-signing Valiquete or replacing him.

Zherdev could be the deal breaker if he continues at his current pace and has an 80+ point season.

IF the Rangers could re-sign him but they would have to part ways with a key player or two, would they consider biting the bullet if the offer-sheet came from a team finishing in the bottom-5 in the standings? I believe the compensation picks begin the offseason after the RFA is signed away, but either way if a team like the Isles comes in after finishing 1 to 3 in the bottom of the league, the Rangers could feel like there's a good chance of them getting at worst a top-10 pick the following year. Add to that Dubie is clearly a top-6 player, and the Rangers have two other centers in Drury and Gomez to fill in the top-6 roles.

I know Dubinsky is a fan favorite and I'll probably get a lot of responses simply saying "No.", but I want to know the honest chances of Dubinsky getting signed away if a 5M offer is brought to the table.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree.....next season i would love to see two spots open

staal-mara(resigned for 3 years)
redden-girardi
potter-sanguinetti/del zotto

to me that defense can be shuffled around but if the rangers want to play an up-tempo game with the defense joining the rush that looks good to me....and if kalinin works out and sanguinetti and del zotto look like they need some more time then i would resign kalinin......i think shedding rozsivals contract makes the msot sense right now
You're asking for trouble with an all-rookie pairing, even if it is the "third" pairing in our system.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm certain that Sather will extend Dubinsky before he becomes RFA (or eligible for offer sheets).

In the off chance that doesn't happen, I'm inclined to believe we'd let Dubinsky walk for $5M. Reason being that if Sather was unable to extend DUbinsky, it would be because Dubinsky was asking for far more than Sather was willing to offer--asking for something in the neighborhood of $5M per.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
wow.......hes good but hes not THAT good yet

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm certain that Sather will extend Dubinsky before he becomes RFA (or eligible for offer sheets).

In the off chance that doesn't happen, I'm inclined to believe we'd let Dubinsky walk for $5M. Reason being that if Sather was unable to extend DUbinsky, it would be because Dubinsky was asking for far more than Sather was willing to offer--asking for something in the neighborhood of $5M per.
Do you see him continuing at this pace and finishing with about 70 points or so this season? Because if that's what it looks like as the year wears on I can see him asking for something in the neighborhood of 5M, especially after what a guy like Mike Richards got after only 2 years of playing well, Dubie will be in a similar position.

Dubinsky does seem like a loyal guy but he could know in the back of his mind that if he does have a big year he could receive a bunch of quality offers in the offseason, especially since the Rags are tight up against the cap he will most likely get other offers if he makes it that far. I could see him turning down offers in the 3M range to wait it out and test the market.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
wow.......hes good but hes not THAT good yet
Maybe it's just the games I've seen him play, but he does look THAT good. I think locking Dubie up for 5M per right now for long term could end up looking like a steal in a year or two, if not immediately. He is a legit 2nd liner right now, IMO, and 5M is legit 2nd line money where as the quality 1st liners will get 7 or 8M.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

If a team offer sheets Dubinsky for $5 million/year, the Rangers will take the four 1st rounders and run. I love Dubi, but four 1st rounders are a very tempting consolation prize. You never know what four 1st rounders are going to turn into.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:48 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If a team offer sheets Dubinsky for $5 million/year, the Rangers will take the four 1st rounders and run. I love Dubi, but four 1st rounders are a very tempting consolation prize. You never know what four 1st rounders are going to turn into.
You sure that's the return? I thought it was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 2 1sts tops. You may be right though.

Old
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
well look i love dubi as we all do, but a $5M offer sheet that we cant afford...and that type of compensation, i mean thats tough. although i 100% want to keep dubi. $5M seems steep as of this current moment

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 12:44 AM
NYR Viper

i dont think sather will let either zherdev or dubi reach that period because he knows they are two players who could be targets.....also, whats to say dubi would sign an offer sheet?....he grew up a rangers fan and i would highly doubt he would go elsewhere after he finally made it to the nhl.....

on a side note, if the compensation was anything more than 2 1sts than you have to bite the bullet and take it....dubi is a very good player, but 2 1sts have a better percentage of being game-breakers than dubinsky

Old
10-30-2008, 12:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're asking for trouble with an all-rookie pairing, even if it is the "third" pairing in our system.
it doesnt mean they have to play together.....i was just putting six guys out there...and if it doesnt work out the rangers can always try to resign kalinin