HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers To Lock Up Dubinsky Long Term?

Old
10-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Call me crazy but I would want to lock Dubi up to a 10 year contract. Bad idea? Good idea?
Bad idea. one 40 point season from the kid doesn't warrant him that kind of deal. By that same logic Prucha would have been locked up to a life-time deal after his 30 goal season. We're not the Islanders, and I wouldn't really give a 10 year deal to ANYONE.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:35 AM
levski87

vCash: 500
1)Rozy will eventually go by the trading deadline. 5 mil for a #1 pairing defenseman is a great price. He has no NMC or anything of that nature, it just seems reasonable. As much as I would like to move Drury it seems like it will never happen. Sather can't keep giving out these NMC or NTC with contracts. It ends up hurting the team!

2)As for the cap, I've heard that alot of tickets were purchased before the season even started and the whole meltdown began. Therefore, the cap CAN go up actually this year, but by next year it will go back down. Sather is playing with fire, but he better not lose Dubi.

3) Dubi cannot command that much more money than what Vermette just received. I believe it was around 2.25 mil or something. Thats going to be Dubi. 2.5-3.5 is the average price people will give to him, unless Edmonton doesn't come in and offer him 7 mil.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:38 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think sather will let either zherdev or dubi reach that period because he knows they are two players who could be targets.....also, whats to say dubi would sign an offer sheet?....he grew up a rangers fan and i would highly doubt he would go elsewhere after he finally made it to the nhl.....

on a side note, if the compensation was anything more than 2 1sts than you have to bite the bullet and take it....dubi is a very good player, but 2 1sts have a better percentage of being game-breakers than dubinsky

All of the Ranger players grew up as Rangers fan's...how ironic. I honestly hope you don't believe that media crap.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 05:50 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If a team offer sheets Dubinsky for $5 million/year, the Rangers will take the four 1st rounders and run. I love Dubi, but four 1st rounders are a very tempting consolation prize. You never know what four 1st rounders are going to turn into.
Those 4 firsts could be Manny Malholtra, Jamie Lundmark, Pavel Brendl and Al Montoya. You never know....

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Ola

I think Slats have 3 options really.

1. To sign him to a cheaper contract that covers the period before Dubinsky becomes a UFA. 5 years right?

2. To sign him to a expensive contract that takes him 3-5 years into UFA. Like 8-10 years. Like Richards.

3. To sign him to a 1 year deal untill both sides get a clearer picture just how good Dubinsky is. Like with Avery.

IMO option 1 really fits us the best. Slats needs to be able to get a few guys like Dubi, Staal and Zherdev into "bridge-contracts" like that. With Gomez, Drury, Redden and Lundqvist its not a good fit for us to give Dubinsky a Mike Richard type of contract. I am sure its a great deal for Philly, but they don't have as much typed up in players the comming 5 years as we do.

And signing a cheaper contract like that, that takes a player into UFA, can many times definitly turn out to be the best option for the player. Look at Zetterberg for exampel. He is making like 2.5m per right now. He will probably be a Hart Trophy candidate this season, he could even win it, he have won the Conn Smyth. If Zetterberg would have hold out for a shorter contract at like 6m per, you have to take two major players off Detroits roster. Last season Detroit could never have afforded Stuart, and Holmström would probably have been dumped in the off season. Detroit would have struggled allot more atleast to win a cup without thoose 2...

Now Zetterberg probably will get like 8 years and 9.5m per or something. If he had not won a cup, if he had not won a Conn Smyth -- how much would he get then? 8 years and 7m per? 6m per? His big payday will more then make up for what he have lost by beeing criminally underpaied the last 2 seasons.

And its really the same with Dubinsky and Zherdev. How competetive we will be in NY the comming 2 seasons will highly depend on how much thoose 2 are making. If Dubi wants 5.5m per and Zherdev 6m per for like 3 or even 8-10 year deals, we won't be able to contend in the near future.

If Dubinsky takes like 3.75m per for a 5 year contract, he is financially secured for the rest of his life -- and he will play the comming 5 years on a really strong team. Then when he becomes a UFA, he could definitly be in for a huge payday.

Its the same with Zherdev. If he signs a 3 year deal, at like 3.75-4.25m per, he will play on a strong contending team. 3 years from now he's due for a huge payday if he can take advantage of that. If he wants 6m now, it will be allot tougher for NYR to be competetive. And allot tougher for Zherdev to put up numbers in the future.

It could be a tough sell for Slats. But if this team is gooing to be successful he just needs to get it done. Like Lou L in NJ where able to do with Parise. Parise is making 3.1 for 2 more years.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Do you see him continuing at this pace and finishing with about 70 points or so this season?
No.

He is not a goto guy on the PP. And for a good reason.

How many players who isn't goto players on the PP scored 70 pts lately in the NHL? Probably nobody.

Old
10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Ih8theislanders

IF Dubi walks, do you think Zherdev would follow?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:16 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Dubi won't walk. He knows what's in store for him after 3 years. He's a natural leader and has proven himself to this club, they will sign him.

Sather would trade away naslund or gomer before losing Dubi and Z. That's just pure stupid.

Last edited by MikeyLikesHockey: 10-30-2008 at 07:44 AM.
MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
IF Dubi walks, do you think Zherdev would follow?
Of all teams in the entire league -- NYR is probably right up there at the top of most popluar places for players to be.

-Original 6 team.

-NYC.

-Contender.

-Great rep.

-Threats the players well.

-"Playercoach".

-Plays "fun" hockey.

-Many popular players. Lundqvist for Swedes. Gomez/Drury for NA's. Allot of great guys.

Its fragile, things could change in a hurry.

But I think its pretty much a split right now though between us and Detroit when it comes to most attractive team. I am guessing that allot of players would love to go to Detroit because they would get a tremendous shot at winning the cup. Some guys wants to go to like Pittsburgh to get to play with Crosby/Malkin, put up great numbers and then get a big deal. Some probably want to play in Montreal/Toronto the most. But a huge portion of the players would probably rank NYR the highest. I would guess that we are basically a split at the top with Detroit.

I do belive that both Dubinsky and Zherdev will realize that big parts of their success this season, comes from getting a possibility to play on this team. It doesn't seem like Avery is having a ton of fun in Dallas these days. Nyls is dooing ok in Washington right now, but he haven't been a hit either exactly. D and Z have long careers ahead of them.

I think either of them would think it through very much before leaving NY...

Old
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
ThirdEye

He might sign a 5 million dollar offer sheet, but I highly doubt it will be with the Islanders.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:46 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Dubsinky will be resigned in January just like Lundqvist. He loves it here. Hopefully Renney didn't upset him on Monday...

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Loffen
Legend

Get it done Slats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Hopefully Renney didn't upset him on Monday...
Meh I don't think so;

Quote:
“I just wanted to make sure that Dubi understands there’s a way we have to play and at the end of he day, the guy behind the bench is a boss. He knows that. He’s a good kid. He’ll learn.”

To the player’s credit, he owned up immediately to a lackluster effort.

“He’s just doing his job,” Dubinsky said. “I was awful. I didn’t come ready to play, at least not for the first period. I just wasn’t working hard.”

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:25 AM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think sather will let either zherdev or dubi reach that period because he knows they are two players who could be targets.....also, whats to say dubi would sign an offer sheet?....he grew up a rangers fan and i would highly doubt he would go elsewhere after he finally made it to the nhl.....

on a side note, if the compensation was anything more than 2 1sts than you have to bite the bullet and take it....dubi is a very good player, but 2 1sts have a better percentage of being game-breakers than dubinsky
Think about what you just said. Over the past ten years, how many gamebreakers have the Rangers drafted in first rounds? How many gamebreakers have they drafted at all? In fact, how many players have they drafted who are even similar to Dubinsky?

The draft is a complete crapshoot, and the odds of two picks producing a player is not high. The NHL is not a video game and Dubinsky needs to absolutely be resigned.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I'm afraid Dubi may hop to the KHL...in Australia...the Kangarooo Hockey League. They got plenty of money in the pouch for guys like Dubi.

And the cap don't forget about the cap. Not the salary cap mind you, but his hat. I'm really worried about Dubi's hats - are they really keeping him warm?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm afraid Dubi may hop to the KHL...in Australia...the Kangarooo Hockey League. They got plenty of money in the pouch for guys like Dubi.

And the cap don't forget about the cap. Not the salary cap mind you, but his hat. I'm really worried about Dubi's hats - are they really keeping him warm?
Thanks Bluenote. I think we needed that.

Draft pick are truly a gamble, especially for the Rangers.....

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
It's going to be tough locking up the kids who well deserve a contract with the amount of money we have invested in about 5 guys for the next 5 years at least.
If the RFAs show they are worth millions, then signing them and trading the likes of Naslund and Rozsival would be a great thing. Naslunds contract makes him attractive to a self imposed cap team where they have the space but don't want to spend it. Rozsival can bring back a really nice return as a right-handed, puck-moving, defenseman. There aren't many around the league and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he brought back the kind of return a Boyle or Campbell did. Could even be more of a return because of his contract, which if he's in the top 15-20 in defenseman again, makes him very much worth it.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Dubsinky will be resigned in January just like Lundqvist. He loves it here. Hopefully Renney didn't upset him on Monday...
Thats ridiculous. Dubinsky didnt come out ready to play on Monday and Renney pasted his ass to the bench. Why the hell should Renney be worried about upsetting him? In fact, if Dubinsky was upset by something like that (which he wasn't, by all accounts), he might not even be worth re-signing.

Anyway, I also disagree that Sather will sign him in January. If you've followed how Sather has negotiated, he tends to drag things out. Lundqvist is the exception because he is a bonafide star.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
All of the Ranger players grew up as Rangers fan's...how ironic. I honestly hope you don't believe that media crap.
idk about Dubinsky but Voros and Drury definately grew up Ranger fans

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote