HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 08:34 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
i think emelin will be back in montreal next year for the training camp and if he can get a roster spot with the big club he's not going to go back to russia
I was just saying that to a buddy on msn. Basically emelin is done his russian contract next year, so we might be able to get him back instead

I hope valentenko did this due to family urgency rather then because he's a tool.

I know it sounds bad to wish something bad upon someones family, and that's not really what I'm trying to do here, but I guess I'd just prefer if he had a valid reason in doing this.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
That would be what I would assume too.
To do some guessing here, what I saw of him in camp, I thought he showed that he has some ability, can hit, shoot hard, skate, but I didn't see that he could play defense. He made me think of an old highly touted d man, Glibert Delorme, all the tools but never quite put it together.

Now, I haven't seen him play much, but maybe after camp, he was discouraged, felt himself lower on the depth chart in a year that he thought he'd be close to making it, saw an immediate opportunity and took it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Erika

meeehh... that's lame...

Not good for the Habs if true, he was suppose to be a good prospect...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
There better be some explanations and fast.

It's time to bombard Mathias Brunet and his blog with questions about this...he's the only one of the journalists in this town that will care.

edit: someone already took care of it:

'' propos de Valentenko, j’attends sous peu des nouvelles du Canadien, qui ne veut rien confirmer pour l’instant. Le jeune homme se trouve actuellement en Russie. suivre.''

And please, don't even get your hopes up on Emelin coming over. I can already imagine that there will be some lame excuses next summer when he doesn't come over.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I'm going to wait until I see a press release from the Habs before drawing any conclusions.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
To do some guessing here, what I saw of him in camp, I thought he showed that he has some ability, can hit, shoot hard, skate, but I didn't see that he could play defense. He made me think of an old highly touted d man, Glibert Delorme, all the tools but never quite put it together.

Now, I haven't seen him play much, but maybe after camp, he was discouraged, felt himself lower on the depth chart in a year that he thought he'd be close to making it, saw an immediate opportunity and took it.
I highly doubt that was his impetus though. He's on record as saying he'll do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL, that he loved his 1st year in Hamilton. He had to know O'Byrne was higher on the depth chart. I think he would have asked for a trade if that were the case.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pascal

Stop drafting f'in Russians. end of story... hopefully yet another lesson after the Perezhogin affair. Hopefully Yemelin doesn't get Mafiaed..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
There better be some explanations and fast.

It's time to bombard Mathias Brunet and his blog with questions about this...he's the only one of the journalists in this town that will care.
I thought this part of the article was quite telling:

Quote:
В прошлом сезоне россиянин провел 57 матчей в составе фарм-клуба Монреаля Хэмилтон Буллдогз, в которых набрал 16 (1+15) очков и 58 минут штрафа.
Seriously, I have no idea what that means. But another source to confirm Valentenko's "defection" is needed. If it's true, it's very disappointing, and, as others have pointed out, means the Habs (and the NHL in general) will be have to be extra careful when drafting russian born players.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Stop drafting f'in Russians. end of story... hopefully yet another lesson after the Perezhogin affair. Hopefully Yemelin doesn't get Mafiaed..
Please. You know this wouldn't have happened if Perezhogin were here.

Old
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post

Seriously, I have no idea what that means. But another source to confirm Valentenko's "defection" is needed. If it's true, it's very disappointing, and, as others have pointed out, means the Habs (and the NHL in general) will be have to be extra careful when drafting russian born players.
Gros Bill

What a dumb not able to read that

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Stop drafting f'in Russians. end of story...
I agree only to an extent. I woulnd't want to draft Russians with my earlier picks, but I don't see a problem in taking a swing for the fences in the later rounds (ie Trunev). Who knows what could happen?

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Ross MacLochness

WHAT IN THE ****!?!?

A 3 year deal no less. Jaysus.

Of all the guys to do this I thought Valentenko would be the last.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I highly doubt that was his impetus though. He's on record as saying he'll do whatever it takes to make it to the NHL, that he loved his 1st year in Hamilton. He had to know O'Byrne was higher on the depth chart. I think he would have asked for a trade if that were the case.
Maybe not so much that he didn't make the team, but I wonder if he didn't have a good feeling as he didn't appear to be close.

Old
10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I agree only to an extent. I woulnd't want to draft Russians with my earlier picks, but I don't see a problem in taking a swing for the fences in the later rounds (ie Trunev). Who knows what could happen?
...which is basically how the Habs are getting it done right now. No need to change anything.

Old
10-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Mue

Surprising since the kid seemed to be pretty comfortable over here.

Sucks.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Maybe not so much that he didn't make the team, but I wonder if he didn't have a good feeling as he didn't appear to be close.
Chipchura gets sent back to Hamilton after playing 1 game, and all of a sudden Valentenko gets a crazy notion in his head to go back to Russia...

Hmmmmmm...

Old
10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
В прошлом сезоне россиянин провел 57 матчей в составе фарм-клуба Монреаля Хэмилтон Буллдогз, в которых набрал 16 (1+15) очков и 58 минут штрафа.
Actually I can make out some of that. It says that with the farm team of Montreal, the Hamilton Bulldogs, he got 16 points (1 goal, 15 assists) and 58 PIM in 57 games.

That's what I can understand anyways, I don't speak Russian, I can just kinda read it. Run it through babelfish or something.

57 матчей в составе фарм-клуба = In 57 games played with the farm team.

Монреаля Хэмилтон Буллдогз, = Montreal - Hamilton Bulldogs

в которых набрал 16 (1+15) очков и 58 минут штрафа. - He got 16 points (1 goal - 15 assists) and 58 PIM.

I win?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop25 View Post
http://www.dynamo.ru/newsclub.php?full=730

Dynamo Moscow reports about signing 3-years deal with Pavel Valentenko of AHL Hamilton Bulldogs.
http://cf.babelfish.yahoo.com/transl...TrUrl=Traduire

Translation

Last edited by HabsDood: 10-30-2008 at 09:03 AM.
HabsDood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
...which is basically how the Habs are getting it done right now. No need to change anything.
Yup

And this could actually be a good thing. Maybe a few more teams get cold feet leaving a few glowing Russian gems lying available in round 5.

Also things could change really fast depending on how the N and KHL relationship plays out.

One thing that's obviously a problem. These leagues don't respect each others contract.

I say we take the KHL to the Hague.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphee

Quote:
Chipchura gets sent back to Hamilton after playing 1 game, and all of a sudden Valentenko gets a crazy notion in his head to go back to Russia...

Hmmmmmm...
by all that is holy, I'm only guessing B O S, how could I know what's in this guy's head. I have a hard enough tuime with the voices in my head.

I just thought that he didn't look like the player I expected.

btw, I don't know if anyone caught Derek Wills on Marinaro;s show yesterday but he mentionned that Chipchura has to realize that this is the 3rd year of his deal and next year will be different, all he can do is work hard, to paraphrase what I heard.

Old
Loop25

Official KHL website confirms Valentenko is in Dynamo roster snice today. Jersey #3

http://www.khl.ru/news/2008/10/30/5258.html

Sorry, no english. KHL has no full version of site in eng, only stats.

Loop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I think that watching a kid like Weber have a better camp than he had definitely discouraged him and set back his confidence. From what I've seen and heard, the poor camp has led to a slow start in Hamilton. I would not be surprised at all, if he had a "what am I doing here" moment and started looking at other options. It could be some other set of personal reasons, but for me, this is perfectly plausible. It wouldn't be the first time that a 20 something year old kid decided to change his direction in life.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop25 View Post
Official KHL website confirms Valentenko is in Dynamo roster snice today. Jersey #3

http://www.khl.ru/news/2008/10/30/5258.html

Sorry, no english. KHL has no full version of site in eng, only stats.
Sneaky devils.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post

This is not an uncommon event in the NHL/AHL. Radulov in Nashville is the most noted example. The Euro players will come over and have a look for a season. They will either leave mid season or demand a one way contract for the next year. In many cases management will give in. If in fact this was due to Valentenko being disgruntled and not "personal or family reasons" then the Habs in the long run are better off. I saw him play two games in Hamilton. He was less than ordinary and walked around like he was about to trip over his lower lip. This now means Carle and Weber get more opportunity to mature.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
by all that is holy, I'm only guessing B O S, how could I know what's in this guy's head. I have a hard enough tuime with the voices in my head.

I just thought that he didn't look like the player I expected.

btw, I don't know if anyone caught Derek Wills on Marinaro;s show yesterday but he mentionned that Chipchura has to realize that this is the 3rd year of his deal and next year will be different, all he can do is work hard, to paraphrase what I heard.
I'm not making fun of you. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.