HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Translation of the initial report:

Moscow Dynamo signed 21-year old defenseman Pavel Valentenko of the Montrea Canadiens to a three year contract, after the defenseman couldn't crack the team's NHL roster and thus decided to return to his home country. Today the team announced he will return to the KHL and wear the number 3.

Last season, the Russian played 57 games with Montreal's farm team, the Hamilton Bulldogs, in which he collected 16 (1+15) poitns and 58 penalty minutes. Furthermore, the defenseman earned the title of hardest shot in the AHL by winning that competition. In the 2007 WJC, Valentnko had 3 (2+1) points in 6 games, along with 6 penalty minutes and a +3 rating. In the spring 2007 World Hockey Championships, coach Vyacheslav Bykov included Valentenko on the extended roster.

This season, Valentenko played four games with the Bulldogs, earning 2 assists and 2 penalty minutes.

In the KHL, Valentenko's rights were acquired by Moscow in return for Fedor Fedorov.

[no mention anywhere of his contract status with the Habs]

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Bullsmith

#$%*&#^!@%!

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:08 AM
BigTimer*

Well I can't blame him if he's scared of playing in a real mens league. Maybe he'll grow a pair over the 3 years.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So....since he wasn't able to crack the lineup THIS YEAR, he signed a 3-year contract? And again like some have mentioned, if the Habs would get him back during his contract in the KHL they would be bad for doing so, still the KHL can do it at anytime????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I'm not making fun of you. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.
I know. To extend what Lyle was saying though, what makes sense for a guy far away from home, at that age, can change in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Well I can't blame him if he's scared of playing in a real mens league. Maybe he'll grow a pair over the 3 years.
You sound very tough.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-30-2008 at 10:12 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Loop25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Sneaky devils.
Don't even try to watch stats in english version of site. Do you know that guy Dubelevich Ueyd? Or Dzhon Grem? These ways Wade Dubielewicz and John Graham was written in english version. Almost all non-russian players, especially who came from NHL, have names written in some unnatural way.
This circumstance was noted among russian sport websites but KHL didn't even try to fix it.

Loop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:13 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You sound very tough.
He wants to go push around some Perezhogin pansies to make himself feel strong because he can't move half the guys in NA like he did back home 2-3 years ago AS A TEENAGER.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
He wants to go push around some Perezhogin pansies to make himself feel strong because he can't move half the guys in NA like he did back home 2-3 years ago AS A TEENAGER.
Funny, I was just joking with someone houtside about how people form such strong opinions with virtually nothing to warrant said opinion.

From what I read, from posters here, he handled physical play quite well last year. Maybe he followed the cash, maybe he felt he was a few years from making it, maybe it's a case of cherchez la femme, I don't know.

It sounds like the WHA days are in vogue except you have the added wrinkle of walking away from your employer's contracts. Both ways. So, I'm not sure what the floral population has to do with anything.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post

In the KHL, Valentenko's rights were acquired by Moscow in return for Fedor Fedorov.

K

what does that mean.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
K

what does that mean.
It says Moscow gave up the rights to Fedor Fedorov to acquire Valentenko's rights from I think Metallurg, though I'm not sure on the team name. That has nothing to do with his transfer from Montreal/Hamilton though.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
It says Moscow gave up the rights to Fedor Fedorov to acquire Valentenko's rights from I think Metallurg, though I'm not sure on the team name. That has nothing to do with his transfer from Montreal/Hamilton though.
phew... thanks for that

I thought we just got little Fedorov as some sort of consolation prize.

He doesn't like the AHL either.

Old
10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

This is pretty disappointing. There may come a point in time where we avoid drafting Russian players totally, even in the later rounds. Bloody shame.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Probably saw the writing on the wall for an NHL career in Montreal with so many good young d-men in the system.
But, unless the Habs said as much, and gave him permission to leave because his NHL prospects were so slim, he's in violation of his contract and the supposed ceasefire the NHL and KHL had.

But I don't blame him for wanting to go back to Russia, and make alot more money than he would in the AHL for the forseeable future.

Plain and simple, Carle, Subban, Weber, Korneev, Emelin, McDonagh are all better prospects than he, and there are only so many NHL spots becoming available over the next 2 to 4 years. If Komisarek signs longterm, that means for the forseeable future, Markov, Hammer, Komisarek, Gorges and O'Byrne are virtual locks for roster spots, leaving only two spots availbable over the next 2-4 years.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 10-30-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Comme je le mentionnais un peu plus haut, tipapout, j’attends des confirmations du Canadien à propos de Valentenko. Je viens de leur reparler il y a quinze minutes. Je commenterai lorsque le Canadien confirmera l’information, s’il y a lieu. Tout ce que je peux dire, c’est que Valentenko est en Russie en ce moment. Il avait invoqué des affaires personnelles pour justifier son départ.

Mathias Brunet

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Stop drafting f'in Russians. end of story... hopefully yet another lesson after the Perezhogin affair. Hopefully Yemelin doesn't get Mafiaed..
Agreed

As someone else already said , i think it's time for us to concentrate on NA , Sweden and Finland at the draft and pretty much discard the whole Russian option. Perezhogin , Emelin and now Valentenko should be enough for Timmins , Bob and Co to go look elsewhere because it's a lose/lose situation for the Habs.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Sneaky devils.

Yah, don't they know you can get NHL.com in full Russian?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Il avait invoqué des affaires personnelles pour justifier son départ.

Mathias Brunet
That parts unfortunate. And if he'd fly the coup like that he's not a Gainey kind of player anyhow.

Old
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Hmmm - Ovechin is currently in Russia with 'family problems'. That seems to be a common theme these days.

I wonder if their 'family problems' are all the same - namely Medvedev and his cronies...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
Agreed

As someone else already said , i think it's time for us to concentrate on NA , Sweden and Finland at the draft and pretty much discard the whole Russian option. Perezhogin , Emelin and now Valentenko should be enough for Timmins , Bob and Co to go look elsewhere because it's a lose/lose situation for the Habs.
That's ridiculous.

Just because your Russian doesn't mean you're gonna run back home.

I guess we also shouldn't draft French Canadians because they are pansies who can't take the pressure of playing for us?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
habfan4

I like where this thread is going, I'm a huge fan of generalizations and internet muscle flexing.

Carry on.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Artyukhin*

im really bummed about him going home i really felt he was going to play in Montreal this year so this comes as a big suprise for sure.
Im wondering if it wasnt something to do with this ?

http://thespec.com/article/314717
"The first few months were very hard but it's getting easier and I don't miss home as much.

Valentenko says he grew up in Moscow as a Montreal Canadiens fan and admitted he was excited and almost cried that summer day back in 2006 when his agent called to say the Habs had drafted him.

His goal, like every other member of the Bulldogs, is to get that call up to play for Montreal.

But that, of course, will bring other challenges, like learning to speak French.

"First I will learn English and then I will learn French," he says with a laugh

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
That's ridiculous.

Just because your Russian doesn't mean you're gonna run back home.

I guess we also shouldn't draft French Canadians because they are pansies who can't take the pressure of playing for us?
It's not ridiculous , just common sense until the whole NHL-KHL situation is more clear. I have no objection with gambling on a Russian once in a while but Bob and Co should be certain that he won't bolt to Russia at some point (IE: Talking to him a lot before picking him ect) , which is too prevalent these days.

And comparing the pressure on French Canadians to Russians bolting to their homeland doesn't work since those are two very different issues.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Oh well...it's not like the Habs are short on D prospects anyways, the very fact they let him leave seems to indicate that he had fallen down the depth chart

Good luck Pavel, i'll never knock someone for wanting to go back home to make more money and be close to their family.

Makes me wonder how this will affect the Habs and they're drafting strategy in terms of drafting Russians...maybe they'll start focusing more on Sweeden, Finland and the Czech Republic?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Habs8517

holy ****
wtf is going on here ?
cant believe someone would dare pull something like that on the habs of all people

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I like where this thread is going, I'm a huge fan of generalizations and internet muscle flexing.

Carry on.
I'm so pissed off right now

If I would see him right now, I would beat him up, like totally destroy his face... I need to calm down, bring me Laraque so I can get the steam off

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote