HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
I don't see why people are so alarmed, prospects development is just a probability game. Even with the best scouting team, you can have 15 prospects with a lot of hype around them but you have to expect only 5 to actually make the team either because they never bloom, just bust or you lose them for various reasons like this one.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Oh well...it's not like the Habs are short on D prospects anyways, the very fact they let him leave seems to indicate that he had fallen down the depth chart

Good luck Pavel, i'll never knock someone for wanting to go back home to make more money and be close to their family.

Makes me wonder how this will affect the Habs and they're drafting strategy in terms of drafting Russians...maybe they'll start focusing more on Sweeden, Finland and the Czech Republic?
if its a simple case of home sick i mean not much you can do about that and i wish him all the best.Thinking about it now how many russians were down in Hamiltion besides himself this year? Might have been extra lonely time down there for him .

If its for any other reason than" home sick" then time to rethink drafting over there althought he was a 5th rounder it still turns out to be a wasted pick .Atleast Grabovski he got us something in return .

Guess will have to wait for the real story to come out as im sure it will .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
if its a simple case of home sick i mean not much you can do about that and i wish him all the best.Thinking about it now how many russians were down in Hamiltion besides himself this year? Might have been extra lonely time down there for him .

If its for any other reason than" home sick" then time to rethink drafting over there althought he was a 5th rounder it still turns out to be a wasted pick .Atleast Grabovski he got us something in return .

Guess will have to wait for the real story to come out as im sure it will .
Well, it wouldn't be the first time a team wasted a 5th round pick...you can't win em' all

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
That's ridiculous.

Just because your Russian doesn't mean you're gonna run back home.

I guess we also shouldn't draft French Canadians because they are pansies who can't take the pressure of playing for us?
Well, it's clear that the Habs should only draft the Swiss. I mean they're 2 for 2 in recent memory...

People need to chill out a bit on the Russian issue. It's a calculated risk that teams take. The Russians that turn out to be elite players end up in the NHL. Those that don't end up elsewhere. Valentenko was a 5th rounder people. How many 5th rounders play in the NHL. If we decided to avoid Russians, the next 10 defencemen taken were:

Cody Wild, Maxime Frechette, Martin Nolet, Alex Biega, Jordan Bendfeld (didn't sign with Phoenix, redrafted in 2008), Peter Ashton, Jesse Dudas, Andrew MacDonald, Dane Crowley and Kevin Koopman

Would drafting any of these guys make our team's future any better?

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sucks big time. Weird that the signing would be accepted with his contract status here. I guess patience is needed to see what will happen.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I don't see why people are so alarmed, prospects development is just a probability game. Even with the best scouting team, you can have 15 prospects with a lot of hype around them but you have to expect only 5 to actually make the team either because they never bloom, just bust or you lose them for various reasons like this one.
Very good point. It takes a lot of sifting to get one single gem.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I hate the KHL. I hope they crash and burn.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I feel like he might have been waiting to see how the Radulov situation played itself out, hence the odd timing on this. With Alexander seemingly staying in Russia, Pavel must have thought it would be safe to defect on his contract as well. Or perhaps Moscow convince him of such.

I guess no more World Championships for him? I assume he'll get the IIHF banhammer.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
airlouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Damn it all. I wish he had been a bit more patient in his development. It's a risky venture drafting Russian players these days.

+ 1

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
TheCH*

Wow a lot of harsh bitter people in here. This shouldn't be surprising for any russian(esp. not in the nhl) to do. They go back home and still become millionaires. Its not a big deal for the Canadiens, we can replace him easily enough.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
I hate the KHL. I hope they crash and burn.
And I'm sure many Russians feel the same about the NHL. They get to see very few of their best players play at home. Imagine, if you, as a Canadian (I assume) didn't get to see Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier ect because they signed in Russia.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
it would be so bad if he didnt have a 102 mph slap shot

and would be so bad if Trevor said he felt he was going to see NHL action this year (first call up for injury)

So this makes it hurt more

hard for me to believe he couldnt be playing as our number 7 dman right now . Seems like they gambled signed the vetern and lost .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
champs83

Report: Valentenko bolts Bulldogs!!!

http://habsinsideout.com/main/10185

This would be a big deal...

SORRY, JUST SAW THE OTHER POST NOW. MOD FEEL FREE TO DELETE

Last edited by champs83: 10-30-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: other post
champs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Ass Hat.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Timmins

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuggy

The part I don't like is losing a prospect for nothing. The guy had potential and it sucks to lose him but it's not the end of the world. I don't like the fact that he could leave the organization while still under contract with the Habs. If he wants to go play in Russia when he is not under contract then go nuts but he signed a deal with the Habs and is not honoring it by going to Russia. That bugs me and shows a little about his character IMO.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Funny, I was just joking with someone houtside about how people form such strong opinions with virtually nothing to warrant said opinion.

From what I read, from posters here, he handled physical play quite well last year. Maybe he followed the cash, maybe he felt he was a few years from making it, maybe it's a case of cherchez la femme, I don't know.

It sounds like the WHA days are in vogue except you have the added wrinkle of walking away from your employer's contracts. Both ways. So, I'm not sure what the floral population has to do with anything.
Just because he handled it doesn't mean he liked it. He turned 21 just a few days ago, and here he is getting forechecked heavily in the AHL while watching O'byrne and Brisebois helplessly trip over themselves attempting the easiest of passes. I think he should of sucked it up and persevered through because I think he was closer in line than he really knew (or maybe even 1 more year in the AHL was too much for him). Anyways, even though he's extremely young, I think this 3-year deal blows any chance of him playing for us as he's going to be leapfrogged every single training camp.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Very good point. It takes a lot of sifting to get one single gem.
That sums up my point of view very well. And as far as I'm concerned, Sergei Kostitsyn is my favorite player and I'd draft 10 Russians again with mid/late picks to get another one of his kind who'd stay here.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
What irks me more than anything is that he signed a THREE year contract. Not one, not two, but three years!

I could accept him going back home for a year to deal with ''family issues''...but signing for three years just makes it look like a big fat lie pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

hard for me to believe he couldnt be playing as our number 7 dman right now . Seems like they gambled signed the vetern and lost .
Oh please. He wasn't even close to being ready for that based on what he showed in camp. Keeping a prospect as a 7th D just to ''not lose him'' is a horrible way to run a team that has high hopes this year.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Because we get attached to them. It's disappointing to say the least when a prospect doesn't even stick it out when your favourite club invests all this time & effort into them, let alone our emotional investments as fans.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Funny, I was just joking with someone houtside about how people form such strong opinions with virtually nothing to warrant said opinion.
You turnin' Québecois on us Mcphee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I like where this thread is going, I'm a huge fan of generalizations and internet muscle flexing.

Carry on.
Why don't you come here and say that to my face!!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Carle, Subban, Weber, Fischer, McDo...this is why Gainey and co. stack up on prospects, especially on D. It'll affect Hamilton this year, but it shouldn't affect the Habs much in the long run regardless of whether or not he chooses to come back.
He's a LD... most of our prospects with the exception of McD are RD... so yes its a loss.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
And I'm sure many Russians feel the same about the NHL. They get to see very few of their best players play at home. Imagine, if you, as a Canadian (I assume) didn't get to see Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier ect because they signed in Russia.
i dont mind the Soccer leagues in Europes

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
But maybe we could just entice them with a better contract.

Following the KHL's precedent, we could just offer a little more and they'd come back. Regardless of their current employment arrangement.

It's terrible labour activity going oh here. This contract mess is flucced up. It reflects badly on that league and it's a bush league practice...

like when you show up for your rec game at midnight on Tuesday and your best player is gone and mysteriously shows up on the other team (they offered him more beers, and they play at the rink closer to his house)

BUSH

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote