HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Because we get attached to them. It's disappointing to say the least when a prospect doesn't even stick it out when your favourite club invests all this time & effort into them, let alone our emotional investments as fans.
Yes, I'm as big of a fan as you guys (well, I hope so) and the situation does annoy me. Nevertheless, looking at the big picture, you need to keep reminding yourself that losses are inevitable and that a big part of the highly-touted prospects won't make it.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs83 View Post
http://habsinsideout.com/main/10185

This would be a big deal...

SORRY, JUST SAW THE OTHER POST NOW. MOD FEEL FREE TO DELETE

Picking up and bolting while under contract i dont like that one bit i guess we got Radulov'd here a trend is forming .

that said if he was feeling less home sick last year this year i think he was the only russian on the Bulldogs roster was he not?Probably didnt help much.

Again could he have filled number 7 in Montreal?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Well they preferred to sign the old Breezy for one more year before even training camp.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

That sucks, I had hoped he would make the team next year. Good luck to him in Russia.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
rocketlives

I guess that's the price to pay for signing Brisebois for another year. Can't blame Valentenko. It takes a long time to make it on defense with the Montreal Canadiens. Just ask Hainsey and Beauchemin.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
And I'm sure many Russians feel the same about the NHL. They get to see very few of their best players play at home. Imagine, if you, as a Canadian (I assume) didn't get to see Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier ect because they signed in Russia.
The NHL has always been the best hockey league in the world, way before Russians knew what hockey was. Its not like the NHL came out of nowhere and started stealing Russias best players. They choose to come here, then run off when things dont go their way.

I don't get Fetisov btw, he was one of the main USSR players to break the barrier for all other Russians in the NHL, now he's one of Medvedevs biggest helpers to get all Russians back home. This is nothing more than Russia and the KHL trying to stick it to the US.

And im more Russian then "Canadian", if anything. (Russian/Georgian mix)

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
I guess that's the price to pay for signing Brisebois for another year. Can't blame Valentenko. It takes a long time to make it on defense with the Montreal Canadiens. Just ask Hainsey and Beauchemin.
Yep. It's all worth it though for him to get his 1000 games.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
That's ridiculous.

Just because your Russian doesn't mean you're gonna run back home.

I guess we also shouldn't draft French Canadians because they are pansies who can't take the pressure of playing for us?
Exactly.... just like the whole "french media" thing this generalization is ridiculous. Kovalev didn't turn and run home... Markov didn't... the Kostitsyn brothers... etc..

Just cause Perezhogin and Valentenko leave doesn't mean every Russian will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I like where this thread is going, I'm a huge fan of generalizations and internet muscle flexing.

Carry on.
You know what?? For a Pretzelite you're not half bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
It's not ridiculous , just common sense until the whole NHL-KHL situation is more clear. I have no objection with gambling on a Russian once in a while but Bob and Co should be certain that he won't bolt to Russia at some point (IE: Talking to him a lot before picking him ect) , which is too prevalent these days.

And comparing the pressure on French Canadians to Russians bolting to their homeland doesn't work since those are two very different issues.
It is completely ridiculous and will hurt us as a franchise to put an outright ban on drafting Russians.... Its not like we are picking these guys in the first round... we are talking about a gamble we took with a 5th rounder here, and you are saying we should never draft a Russian again. Does that include players from Belarus too?? Cause we miss out on a 7th round gem like Sergei Kostitsyn with your plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Picking up and bolting while under contract i dont like that one bit i guess we got Radulov'd here a trend is forming .

that said if he was feeling less home sick last year this year i think he was the only russian on the Bulldogs roster was he not?Probably didnt help much.

Again could he have filled number 7 in Montreal?
From what I saw in Camp he was not ready to be a number 7.... he was much worse than O'Byrne who is having his own problems at the NHL level.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
juggernaut

Yeah sining Brisebois forced this 21 year old to bolt back to Russia. He was average at best in training camp and had a long way to go before hes would be ready for full time NHL action. Who needs players like him anyways? I want players who want to great in the best league in the world and not players who care about money now.

juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
LOL. Blame it on Brisebois. As if...

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
well that's Montreal...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Quiet Robert

If there ever was a reason to use the "facepalm" smilie, it's in reference to the idiots blaming Brisebois for this...

The idiocy of this fanbase never ceases to amaze me.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

From what I saw in Camp he was not ready to be a number 7.... he was much worse than O'Byrne who is having his own problems at the NHL level.
O'Byrne isnt having any harder of a time than Breezer.
O'Byrne is young and Komo wasnt lights out his first season or 2 neither

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
JTWymanFan*

I am not going to be as nice as most of you, if this is true and it seems to be. I say **** him fn trader. I want Timmins to keep drafting NA players who want to stay here and play. Please no more of this Russian drama.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
The idiocy of this fanbase never ceases to amaze me.
Really?

Your amzement surprises me. I expected the "Damn Timmins for drafting excellent D-men and Damn Gainey for building a strong D-core" comments to start comming out..

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I am not going to be as nice as most of you, if this is true and it seems to be. I say **** him fn trader. I want Timmins to keep drafting NA players who want to stay here and play. Please no more of this Russian drama.
I agree with the first half of your post... screw this guy for not playing out his contract.... I hope we take this to the IIHF and **** him and his new team over as much as possible.

As for the 2nd half, if we see a great talent in the later rounds who we might have a chance of getting over here, there is no reason not to take a chance. I don't want to use high picks if we are not 100% sure they will come over, but I don't agree that we should totally ignore Russia.

Old
10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
I agree with the first half of your post... screw this guy for not playing out his contract.... I hope we take this to the IIHF and **** him and his new team over as much as possible.

As for the 2nd half, if we see a great talent in the later rounds who we might have a chance of getting over here, there is no reason not to take a chance. I don't want to use high picks if we are not 100% sure they will come over, but I don't agree that we should totally ignore Russia.
No problem with this. I am really sick of all this drama. Man, i am really pissed at that Fn Radulov follower. I really wanted to see Tank in Montreal. Lets now focus on Mcd, Subban, Weber etc.

Damn i am pissed !!!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yeah, just ask Komisarek and OB...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
A question I raise...

Who is the first call-up on D now? Because I do believe he was.

This is where losing a J.P. Coté or a Mathieu Biron could hurt. The amount of "NHL ready or tolerable" D we have in the system is not that high. Do you bring up Weber with his little pro experience? Or that big goon-ish D that was at camp? Or Shawn Belle, who makes O'Byrne looks like Rod Langway? Carle fresh off the DL? Jancevski...signing Jancevski to the Habs? Again? Do his NHL rights belong to anyone?

Yikes.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
A question I raise...

This is where losing a J.P. Coté could hurt. Because who is it now? Do you bring up Weber with his little pro experience? Or that big goon-ish D that was at camp? Or Shawn Belle, who makes O'Byrne looks like Rod Langway? Carle fresh off the DL?

Yikes.
I don't think it's a concern. Alex Henry has NHL experience, had a solid training camp, and is playing decent hockey for the Dogs. Valentenko hasn't looked good this year anyway, so he would only have been first call-up by default.

It'll be Henry if *knocks on wood* it has to be any time soon. Otherwise, likely Carle, as Weber still has lots to learn.

In any case, we have 7 d-men in Montreal + Dandenault, so we won't *need* a call-up any time soon. And if one of Hamrlik, Komi, or Markov were ever to go down for more than a game or 2, I'm sure Gainey would try to move for that #4 d-man we're all hoping for by the deadline.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
To the people saying we should give up on Russians...you realize that would mean no Markov, A. Kostitsyn or S. Kostitsyn, right?

Anyway yeah it sucks but it could have been worse. Valentenko's a guy who, for all his potential, still never played an NHL game. It's not like we lost an Alexander Radulov here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:

It is completely ridiculous and will hurt us as a franchise to put an outright ban on drafting Russians.... Its not like we are picking these guys in the first round... we are talking about a gamble we took with a 5th rounder here, and you are saying we should never draft a Russian again. Does that include players from Belarus too?? Cause we miss out on a 7th round gem like Sergei Kostitsyn with your plan.
I never talked about a complete ban , just that maybe we should look elsewhere first and then look at Russia but with caution.

As i said , i have no objection in taking a gamble on a Russian prospect but we should be extremely careful from now on and be sure that he won't bolt to the homeland. It would be foolish not to now that we lost 3 prospects and are whitnessing it happening to other teams in the league.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
A question I raise...

This is where losing a J.P. Coté or a Mathieu Biron could hurt. The amount of "NHL ready or tolerable" D we have in the system is not that high. Do you bring up Weber with his little pro experience? Or that big goon-ish D that was at camp? Or Shawn Belle, who makes O'Byrne looks like Rod Langway? Carle fresh off the DL? Jancevski...signing Jancevski to the Habs? Do his NHL rights belong to anyone?

Yikes.
First call up is either Henry (if you want experience) or Weber (if you want offence).

Doubt Belle is an option....

The fact that Weber hung around the longest is a big indication of what they think of him, IMO.

Since we lost the LD in Tank, and with the way he is playing so far this year, i'd like to get McD signed this summer.

Old
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Fido22

Tough break, he could have made a decent NHLer in the not too distant future.

What was all this noise about an NHL-Russia cease fire in signing players under contract?

Cease fires

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
next time a russian talk about going back to russia we create a spot for him on the team right away even if he is worse than two other dman prospect

brisebois is to blame for everything.... global warming, russian prospects going for the big bucks in motherland, famine in DPRK, war in darfur,...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote