HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
Of course this is not a good news. But to blame it on the signing of Brisebois is ridiculous. He looked shaky in camp and that's why he was sent down. And if this demotion pisses him off to the point of leaving the organization, then farewell, Pavel.

And I will still lift my hat up to the organization for drafting the best player available, regardless of his nationality, especially in the later rounds.

We can consider ourselves lucky that we have an incredible pool of young prospects in our hands. It's not as if they would have all made the team in the next few years anyway.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
I never talked about a complete ban , just that maybe we should look elsewhere first and then look at Russia but with caution.

As i said , i have no objection in taking a gamble on a Russian prospect but we should be extremely careful from now on and be sure that he won't bolt to the homeland. It would be foolish not to now that we lost 3 prospects and are whitnessing it happening to other teams in the league.
The point is we lost a 5th rounder here.... i still say it was worth the gamble, even if it looks like it didn't work out.

If it was a guy picked in round 1-3 i would be more pissed off... even though i'm pissed off now.

If we are gonna pick a guy in the first three rounds it needs to be a Tikhonov or a Filatov who are gonna come over right away.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
If there ever was a reason to use the "facepalm" smilie, it's in reference to the idiots blaming Brisebois for this...

The idiocy of this fanbase never ceases to amaze me.
Nobody's blaming Brisebois but the fact the Habs resigned him and are using Dandenault up front sends a message to young dmen's agents that there isn't much room on the team for prospects on defense.

Mathieu Carle and Yannick Weber are properly better prospects than Valentenko at this time and we have McDonagh, Fisher and Subbam being groomed in the junior and college ranks.

Perhaps a trade would have been in order. You include Valentenko with other players for an experienced #4 dman and the team is stronger. Why not trade these guys we'll probably never use instead of seeing them leave for nothing?

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
I never talked about a complete ban , just that maybe we should look elsewhere first and then look at Russia but with caution.

As i said , i have no objection in taking a gamble on a Russian prospect but we should be extremely careful from now on and be sure that he won't bolt to the homeland. It would be foolish not to now that we lost 3 prospects and are whitnessing it happening to other teams in the league.
+1.....

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Talent Analyst

Its a bad news, but with our dept in the D side, it don't hurt us that much. McDonagh and Weber will be, IMO, better than Valentenko. Also with O'Byrne, there is not much room for him.

Good luck in Russia Valentenko!

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
First call up is either Henry (if you want experience) or Weber (if you want offence).

Doubt Belle is an option....

The fact that Weber hung around the longest is a big indication of what they think of him, IMO.

Since we lost the LD in Tank, and with the way he is playing so far this year, i'd like to get McD signed this summer.
I'd think moving Dandy back to defense would be the first option they'd explore.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
from now on we should stop drafting russian... plain and simple

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Mue

The Habs are short on the left side for D prospects now.

McDonagh (will he turn pro next season?)
Torp (will he come over?)

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Nobody's blaming Brisebois but the fact the Habs resigned him and are using Dandenault up front sends a message to young dmen's agents that there isn't much room on the team for prospects on defense.

Mathieu Carle and Yannick Weber are properly better prospects than Valentenko at this time and we have McDonagh, Fisher and Subbam being groomed in the junior and college ranks.

Perhaps a trade would have been in order. You include Valentenko with other players for an experienced #4 dman and the team is stronger. Why not trade these guys that we'll probably never use instead of seeing them leave for nothing?
Valentenko had notable trade value why?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
The Habs are short on the left side for D prospects now.

McDonagh (will he turn pro next season?)
Torp (will he come over?)
Well we can forget about trading McDonagh... not that i ever wanted to... but its a non-start for me now.

We may need to look at LD in this coming draft now....

Though We have Markov and Hammer here for 2 more years after this.... by that time McD should be ready... and Markov should be resigned.... Gorges may have to move back to LD too.

--------------------------------------

As for the immediate future, we will have a hole at LD.

Gorges has to move next season... or will we see Bouillion back.

Valentenko was my planned Bouillion replacement.

Henry is LD right?? Belle?? not that i'm big on either.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Valentenko had notable trade value why?
The guy is 6'2" 215lbs. He skates very well and has a very good shot on goal from the blue line. He's a decent prospect and could have helped complete a deal as a throw-in.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
from now on we should stop drafting russian... plain and simple
You can't stereotype a whole nation of people over a few incidents. So a few Russian players have decided to go back home to play. Big ****ing deal, there are plenty that have decided to stay.

Yes losing Tank sucks, and I'm pretty pissed off about it. But to intentionally hurt the hockey team by not drafting Russians is just nuts.

Hell Daniel Ryder (CAL) walked away from his team, so did Stefan Legein (CLB). As far as I know, neither one of them are Russian.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
It was more a response to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Well they preferred to sign the old Breezy for one more year before even training camp.

And I imagine I have people on ignore who agree with this poster or at the very least there are people who agreed but did not post.

As for Valentenko's trade value, I doubt he had any. Most teams have unproven but interesting prospects playing on their farm team.

It was clear before they resigned Brisebois that there wasn't much room. He had nothing to do with the fact that we already had 6 NHLers on the backend. Even with Streit leaving there were 6 dmen on the NHL roster, plus Dandenault who is pretty much a full-time forward at this point but can fill in if worse comes to worse.

Brisebois was signed essentially as a no.7. Weber, Valentenko and others had to know going in that their chances of taking a spot were slim and that it wasn't likely that they would stay up just to be no.7 dmen.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Straight up, I'm the biggest fan of Russian born players, I love their skill, their dangles and their offensive talent. But at this point, I'm gutted, I don't want to waste our resources there anymore.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Fido22

Quote:
The guy is 6'2" 215lbs. He skates very well and has a very good shot on goal from the blue line. He's a decent prospect and could have helped complete a deal as a throw-in.
So we make deals because we have throw-ins? Who are the center pieces to the trade that we "throw-in" to add to the throw-in?

And why was Valentenko a throw-in in the first place? Because he didn't make the team out of camp?

I understand it sucks to lose him for nothing, but things happen. I find we are grasping at straws to find an imaginary culprit.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Do they use content-based advertising on HFBoards? I thought it was soooooooooo fabulous that I opened this thread and saw a "Find your Russian beauty today" ad at the top.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post

I understand it sucks to lose him for nothing, but things happen. I find we are grasping at straws to find an imaginary culprit.
Are we? I mean the culprit is pretty clear to me. It's the bush league KHL.

Unless the Habs Org and Valentenko came to an agreement, allowing this to happen. Otherwise that bush league is blatantly tampering with players who are under contract.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
To the people saying we should give up on Russians...you realize that would mean no Markov, A. Kostitsyn or S. Kostitsyn, right?
Markov was drafted way before the trouble with russian players started, so it's not a good example. The Kostitsyn aren't russians, they are bellorussians, and if they played in russia it would be as foreigners, with all the disagreements related to this status.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:10 AM
MontrealHabs

All this story has some mafia written in it.

MontrealHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
You can't stereotype a whole nation of people over a few incidents. So a few Russian players have decided to go back home to play. Big ****ing deal, there are plenty that have decided to stay.

Yes losing Tank sucks, and I'm pretty pissed off about it. But to intentionally hurt the hockey team by not drafting Russians is just nuts.

Hell Daniel Ryder (CAL) walked away from his team, so did Stefan Legein (CLB). As far as I know, neither one of them are Russian.
You can't disregard the fact that for the Habs only, we already had issues with Emelin, Korneev, Perezhogin and Valentenko, with a really small issue, with Trunev. While nothing is final, and that we even might end up with those 5 guys in our lineup, you have to agree that it doesn't look like it for at least 3 of those guys. The Emelin's story, we'll know soon and Trunev we'll also see....

It's also pretty understandable that people are more pissed when a guy chooses to play in another league though he might have the talent to help us, than a guy who just doesn't make it 'cause he just doesn't have the talent. Janne Lahti also decided to go back home. But nobody talked about him too much, why? 'Cause clearly, he went back knowing he might not have the talent to compete. That's so not the case with all of the Russians that we "lost".....

I don't say to stop drafting them. I believe that if you have a Russian blue chip prospect in the 1st round, you go and get him. Might also be the case for the later rounds when you can take a guess with another one. But I also know that while you shouldn't disregard a complete nation 'cause it would affect your team.....but I'M wondering why we seem to avoid the Swedish and Finnish nation....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Do they use content-based advertising on HFBoards? I thought it was soooooooooo fabulous that I opened this thread and saw a "Find your Russian beauty today" ad at the top.
Score one for the good guys. They get decent players from our team, but we get their beauties. If I lived in Boston, I'd be chanting "USA, USA, USA!!!" right now.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

FROM CKAC: Habs agreed to let Valentenko go and play for Moscow for THIS YEAR only.

That could make sense based on the numerous d-men that we have with the Dogs. Still, there seems to be a 3-year contract somewhere....I'M wondering if the contract include a clause that says that after this year, Valentenko CAN comeback here.

But again it's CKAC....let's wait a little....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

yes but having 3 walk out in the last 2 years highlights the issue

Perez
Grabs
Tank

then another one who last minute signed a 2 year deal to stay over there .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
FROM CKAC: Habs agreed to let Valentenko go and play for Moscow for THIS YEAR only.
Okay, but, why sign a three year deal, then?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

That could make sense based on the numerous d-men that we have with the Dogs. Still, there seems to be a 3-year contract somewhere....I'M wondering if the contract include a clause that says that after this year, Valentenko CAN comeback here.

But again it's CKAC....let's wait a little....
1= 3 in russia?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote