HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
lol..1 year...3 year..I'm really starting to hate the ****ing media.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
1UP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Okay, but, why sign a three year deal, then?
In soviet Russia, contract signs you.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:18 AM
LouisJCloutier

Look like Dandenault will stay with us for some time...

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
IF the CKAC news is correct and again a big, really big IF.....is it possible like I mentioned that the contract includes a clause that says that after this year, he could still comeback but then the team insisted to ink him for 3 just in case he doesn't?

Doesn't sound like a Russian type of contract but still....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fido22

Quote:
Maybe there is an out for him to come over?

Wasn't there a cease fire (some sort of verbal understanding) between the NHL-Russia on poaching signed players after Radulov?

What's up with that?

Valentenko is sorta not really worth stiring the pot over if things had quieted down.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Maybe it is contingent on something relating to the family issues that have been mentioned? Who knows. Hopefully all goes well for him and we see him back in Montreal/Hamilton soon. On the plus side, at least it sounds like it was arranged with the Habs and he didn't just lie to them and turn his back on them, an idea which seemed out of line with his previous comments made to the press.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Its a bad news, but with our dept in the D side, it don't hurt us that much. McDonagh and Weber will be, IMO, better than Valentenko. Also with O'Byrne, there is not much room for him.

Good luck in Russia Valentenko!
He was the next in line to make our line up.
Whether you think Weber and McDonagh are going to be better is irrelevant. They are still going to be in AHL next season in all likelihood whereas Tank was probably replacing Bouillon next year if he continued where he left off last year.

I just don't get players under contract signing elsewhere...I guess I'm old fashioned and still give a meaning to the word ''Contract''..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Are we? I mean the culprit is pretty clear to me. It's the bush league KHL.

Unless the Habs Org and Valentenko came to an agreement, allowing this to happen. Otherwise that bush league is blatantly tampering with players who are under contract.
Medvedev has stated that as long as NHL continues to break the verbal 'cease fire' agreement, KHL has no option but to do the same in self interest.
Voinov, Loktionov, Mayorov and, just recently, Vasyunov (all with valid & existing contracts) were signed after the agreement.

I agree it sucks from a Canadiens standpoint......but, ultimately, fair is fair.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
So we make deals because we have throw-ins? Who are the center pieces to the trade that we "throw-in" to add to the throw-in?

And why was Valentenko a throw-in in the first place? Because he didn't make the team out of camp?

I understand it sucks to lose him for nothing, but things happen. I find we are grasping at straws to find an imaginary culprit.
I find it hard to believe Tank had no trade value when you look around the NHL.

I do think though that Bob is too honest a GM to move a player he thinks is going to leave for the RSL.

Whatever yesterday we needed help on our D, a solid, reliable stay at home vet for the #4 or #7 slot, today that hasn't changed.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Maybe it is contingent on something relating to the family issues that have been mentioned? Who knows. Hopefully all goes well for him and we see him back in Montreal/Hamilton soon. On the plus side, at least it sounds like it was arranged with the Habs and he didn't just lie to them and turn his back on them, an idea which seemed out of line with his previous comments made to the press.
same here Dave. I hope what ever issue has sent him back home works out for the best / and we see him on our blue line next season .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
, ultimately, fair is fair.
More acurately an eye for an eye and both the NHL and KHL are acting like bush leagues.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
FROM CKAC: Habs agreed to let Valentenko go and play for Moscow for THIS YEAR only.
This changes things a bit. Perhaps some family or personal issues are keeping him home for a year - the kid does seem to have a good attitude so I can't see him bolting with no explanation or consideration for the organization.

Guess we'll see.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

As bad as it is to lose a good prospect the reality is that he wasn't NHL ready YET. It's silly to blame Brisebois, Dandenault et al. In his mind he probably saw the writing on the wall - the Habs are deep at D, Markov isn't "old", Komisarek will be re-signed, Gorges and O'Byrne are young and at least one will stick around for a while, McDonaugh and Emelin have always been considered better prospects than him, and now he has Weber and Subban breathing down his neck. Maybe he just said - "I'm not gonna ride the Montreal/Hamilton shuttle, like Kyle Chipchura for the next 2-3 years when I can be home, happy, and making more $. Maybe he has a sick sibbling or parent back home and wants to be nearby? Maybe he just doesn't like it in North America. I think it's not about refusing to draft players from certain countries, but rather knowing who you're drafting and what the reality of the situation are (given that individual's psychological makeup).

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Fido22

Quote:
More acurately an eye for an eye and both the NHL and KHL are acting like bush leagues.
They are acting like competitors, and, all things considered, the Russian league will always come out on the losing side.

The best they can do is posture and get moral victories. KHL is no match for the NHL in the grand scheme of things.

Old
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
FROM CKAC: Habs agreed to let Valentenko go and play for Moscow for THIS YEAR only.

That could make sense based on the numerous d-men that we have with the Dogs. Still, there seems to be a 3-year contract somewhere....I'M wondering if the contract include a clause that says that after this year, Valentenko CAN comeback here.

But again it's CKAC....let's wait a little....
If this turns out to be true i feel a lot better about the situation.

Perhaps he needs to be there for family reasons and the habs don't want him over there dealing with these issues and not playing hockey. If he goes over there, continues to play and comes back for training camp next year, i'm okay with it. Still the three-year deal raises questions.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Medvedev has stated that as long as NHL continues to break the verbal 'cease fire' agreement, KHL has no option but to do the same in self interest.
Voinov, Loktionov, Mayorov and, just recently, Vasyunov (all with valid & existing contracts) were signed after the agreement.

I agree it sucks from a Canadiens standpoint......but, ultimately, fair is fair.
I don't agree. The Habs have respected Russian contracts. I don't think you could call it fair if they take our players as payback for some other team disregarding their contracts.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
They are acting like competitors, and, all things considered, the Russian league will always come out on the losing side.

The best they can do is posture and get moral victories. KHL is no match for the NHL in the grand scheme of things.
One would think you're right. Soon we may start seeing larger individual player transfer fees.

I don't like the status quo. Dirty Pool. At least if you had to buy a player things would be more transparent and we'd have some idea of goings on.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Interesting to note that according to the original link and a poster on the trade board, Valentenko is being used by Neftekhimik (Valentenko's old RSL club) as compensation to Moscow for Fedor Fedorov who left Moscow for Neftekhimik (after his brief stint with New Jersey this offseason).

I don't think it affects Montreal at all but it's worth mentioning I guess...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

If true, and if the clause is respected and he does come back, I feel great about this.

Teams nowadays do that more and more, they are more or less lending him. Maybe he will get more ice time with Dynamo than he would have with Hamilton?

The 3 year deal, I feel, could be a way for Dynamo to protect the asset that they own at the KHL level. Because, say they only sign him for the year they agreed to with the Habs, and then he's UFA in the KHL, they will have acquired him for one year from Neftekhimik (His old team, not Metallurg as I saw posted) and given them Fedor Fedorov for very little. Say he stays in the KHL, because the Habs would have soured on him, they risk losing him for nothing to another KHL team.

This kinda remembers me of those junior league trades where teams trade the rights of players who may or may not ever play in the league again.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
That's not so bad then. Let him play in Russia and be close to his family for the year and have him back for next season. It was doubtful he would of played with the Habs this year anyway unless major injuries occurred. Seems like a nice move on the part of the Habs.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Fido22

Quote:
One would think you're right. Soon we may start seeing larger individual player transfer fees.

I don't like the status quo. Dirty Pool. At least if you had to buy a player things would be more transparent and we'd have some idea of goings on.
A better transfer fee agreement is really the best thing the Russians can get out of this. Otherwise, they can frustrate the odd NHL team here and there but overall the NHL's pulling power is much greater.

Old
10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Any chance the 'Dogs were threatening to send him to Cincy (unlikely) or sit him because of poor play this year?

With Carle coming back, you have Jancevski, Henry, Belle as AHL vets. Anderson playing well, Weber there for the PP, and now Carle coming back. Seems like he would have been in a tough battle for ice time.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Good to hear if true, the Dogs are fine without him this year, since they are stacked at LD with Dan Jan and Henry plus Belle, and now it likely means that St.Denis will stick all year, he's looked ok from the one game I saw him play in Hamilton.

Hopefully Valentenko is back next year and he brings another Russian or two with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Any chance the 'Dogs were threatening to send him to Cincy (unlikely) or sit him because of poor play this year?

With Carle coming back, you have Jancevski, Henry, Belle as AHL vets. Anderson playing well, Weber there for the PP, and now Carle coming back. Seems like he would have been in a tough battle for ice time.
No way. First off he didn't look that bad in any games I've seen w/Hamilton. As for ice time, he had nothing to worry about. Javcevski, Henry and Valetenko would be the regular LD's with Belle as the one fighting for ice time with St. Denis likely going to the ECHL at some point had Tank stayed all year once Carle was 100% since the RD's are Carle, Weber and Anderson.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That's not so bad then. Let him play in Russia and be close to his family for the year and have him back for next season. It was doubtful he would of played with the Habs this year anyway unless major injuries occurred. Seems like a nice move on the part of the Habs.
Problem is, development wise, he'll be getting much less ice time than he is in AHL.

Once Markov returns (similar style player), Valentenko will probably end up as #6-7 defender for Dynamo.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
If true, and if the clause is respected and he does come back, I feel great about this.

Teams nowadays do that more and more, they are more or less lending him. Maybe he will get more ice time with Dynamo than he would have with Hamilton?

The 3 year deal, I feel, could be a way for Dynamo to protect the asset that they own at the KHL level. Because, say they only sign him for the year they agreed to with the Habs, and then he's UFA in the KHL, they will have acquired him for one year from Neftekhimik (His old team, not Metallurg as I saw posted) and given them Fedor Fedorov for very little. Say he stays in the KHL, because the Habs would have soured on him, they risk losing him for nothing to another KHL team.

This kinda remembers me of those junior league trades where teams trade the rights of players who may or may not ever play in the league again.
Good posts Phil.

Nice to read.