HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tanguay makes himself at home

Old
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Gift-wrapped or not he is still burying them and that's all that counts.

Unlike Kovy's linemates

That's what I like about Tanguay, every move he makes, he makes it count!
Be it a pass, a shot or forecheck or anything at all, he takes the right decisions and does it with confidence!

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Tanguay is right, he has had some of his goals gift-wrapped, that being said I'm happy to have him right now but wont be getting to excited until I see how's he performing towards the end of the season.
Just imagine what a younger Saku Koivu could have done all these years if he had a triggerman who could bury these gift-wrapped passes!!!

I've always maintained that Saku would have been one of the great centres in NHL history if not for his first knee injury (remember that he was leading the whole league in scoring in his second year I think when this happened?) which he never completely recovered from...and then the cancer and eye injury and...

Anyways, boo to all the people who have been under rating Koivu all these years! The proof is in the pudding!

As for Tanguay, it's great that he is burying 40% of his shots...but on the flip side this just means that he's still shooting far too little. Now imagine how many goals he would have if he shot even more!

"His 40-per-cent success rate – a goal every 1.9 shots – is third in the NHL. “That's always been the big criticism of me, not shooting enough,” he said. “I'm trying to shoot more, and having a good passer like Saku to play with, it'll force me to shoot a little more. On 2-on-1s, we look for each other, even in practice, to encourage each other to shoot a little more.”

A good defenseman like Ray Bourque used to lead the league in shots taken and he would usually average around 7%...but he was a defenseman...but often got 20 goals or more as a defensman which is quite the accomplishment.

Great forward goal scorers throughout the years averaged around 10% success rate.

So, as good as Tanguay has been, he still needs to shoot more...a lot more!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:04 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Just imagine what a younger Saku Koivu could have done all these years if he had a triggerman who could bury these gift-wrapped passes!!!

I've always maintained that Saku would have been one of the great centres in NHL history if not for his first knee injury (remember that he was leading the whole league in scoring in his second year I think when this happened?) which he never completely recovered from...and then the cancer and eye injury and...

Anyways, boo to all the people who have been under rating Koivu all these years! The proof is in the pudding!

As for Tanguay, it's great that he is burying 40% of his shots...but on the flip side this just means that he's still shooting far too little. Now imagine how many goals he would have if he shot even more!

"His 40-per-cent success rate – a goal every 1.9 shots – is third in the NHL. “That's always been the big criticism of me, not shooting enough,” he said. “I'm trying to shoot more, and having a good passer like Saku to play with, it'll force me to shoot a little more. On 2-on-1s, we look for each other, even in practice, to encourage each other to shoot a little more.”

A good defenseman like Ray Bourque used to lead the league in shots taken and he would usually average around 7%...but he was a defenseman...but often got 20 goals or more as a defensman which is quite the accomplishment.

Great forward goal scorers throughout the years averaged around 10% success rate.

So, as good as Tanguay has been, he still needs to shoot more...a lot more!
This has nothing to do... and this is completely non-logical.

He shoots when he has quality chances. That's why his shooting % has always been, and is still very high. Should he shoot more, he'd take less quality shots, and he'd miss more.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Yup. We've had too many players in the past that COULDN'T bury the gift wrapped ones.
Nonstopolous has had a dozen chances already to bury and missed all of them. The only goal he picked up was a Mario Lemieux bat out of the air goal.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
This has nothing to do... and this is completely non-logical. <===???

He shoots when he has quality chances. That's why his shooting % has always been, and is still very high. Should he shoot more, he'd take less quality shots, and he'd miss more.
40% success rate is basically saying that Tanguay scores about once every 2x he shoots.

This means that he's only shooting when he finds almost a perfect scoring opportunity. You don't get too many of those in a game and Tanguay is self critical saying that he needs to shoot more.

If Tanguay were only to shoot at the current rate, 15 shots in 8 games, he would get around 154 shots in 82 games. Historically, 40-50 goal scorer typically had to shoot close to 350 - 400 shots to get those kind of numbers.

Another way of saying this is that it's not possible to keep up that kind of shooting percentage.

A goal scorer like Kovalev is again averaging around 11% again this year. He's shooting when he feels that he has a chance to score and not only when he's absolutely sure that he can score. In short, more pucks at the net = more pucks in the net.

Furthermore, what shooting more does is to give rebounds and position the puck in places where garabage goals can be collected. So not only is it good for the individual, it is good for the line mates and ultimately the team collectively.

And as Wayne Gretzky always used to say, you can't score on 100% of shots that you don't take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Good to hear. Tanguay has been impressive so far.

Another article on RDS about Alex Tanguay yesterday.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/262549.html

A little quote from Tanguay that caught my eyes:

"Ce n’est pas toujours facile de mettre la rondelle dans le fond du filet. Ça prend de la créativité, de la rapidité. C’est pour ça qu’il faut laisser un peu plus de liberté à des joueurs aussi talentueux que Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, les Kostitsyn, croit Tanguay. Guy (Carbonneau) était un joueur intelligent et les joueurs intelligents font des entraîneurs intelligents."

For non French readers;

"It's not always easy to put the puck in the net. It takes creativity and quickness. That's why you have to give more liberty to highly skilled players as Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec and the Kostitsyns. Guy Carbonneau was a very intelligent player and intelligent players makes intelligent coaches."

So according to Tanguay, does that mean that Higgins, Latendresse and Lang aren't as skilled and concidered as luxurious grinders ?

In an offensive kind of way, this is not without its merits...althought I don't think that Tanguay is going out of the way to point out that he feels that Higgins, Latendresse and Lang are not as skilled.

Higgins' game is more of a hustle with a dash of crash and bang. He doesn't have the vision of Koivu and doesn't have the hands of even a Latendresse, who I thin does have pretty good hands.

Latendresse doesn't have the vision of Koivu and doesn't have the speed of even a Higgins (although I don't think that he's as fast as a lot of people give him credit for...I think that he has a lot of hustle), and doens't work or compete as nearly as hard as Higgins.

Neither of these guys are as skilled as some of the others mentioned naturally.

However, I think both of these guys are still developing and they both bring their own strengths to the game, which are all required if a team is to hoist that Cup.

Lang on the other hand is just tired from old age...his best days are past him and his legs are not what they used to be and his hands are not what they used to be either...but he too has a place on this team.

When individuals on a team understand their strengths and limitations and their roles on the teams and works together for the common goal to the best of their abilities, then you can't ask for too much more...and this kind of team often gets to lift the Stanely Mug at the end of the season.

I can't believe that I am quoting Harry Neale but he once said quoting Kipling I believe(?) , "How silent the forest would be if only the birds with the prettiest voices were allowed to sing!"

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-30-2008 at 03:14 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Oh, while I'm here...

Tanguay is going to win the Molson Cup in his first month as a Hab.

Name PTS
Alex Tanguay 13
Carey Price 6
Sergei Kostitsyn 5
Saku Koivu 5
Jaroslav Halak 5
Andrei Markov 3
Robert Lang 3
Guillaume Latendresse 2
Maxim Lapierre 1

Old
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
oli500

The way he handle him self on and off the ice is top notch. Cant believe all we gave up for a talent like this one was a draft pick

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
The way he handle him self on and off the ice is top notch. Cant believe all we gave up for a talent like this one was a draft pick
Imagine if we sign him long termes

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Everytime I hear what happened with Tanguay in Calgary and how well he plays with us it feels like it must have been like Nazi Germany in there.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
And if you think his great shooting % is just a fluke...

"19.4 - Percentage of Tanguay's shots to have found the back net over the course of his career, the highest ratio of any active NHL player."

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
And if you think his great shooting % is just a fluke...

"19.4 - Percentage of Tanguay's shots to have found the back net over the course of his career, the highest ratio of any active NHL player."
A great shooting % isn't a fluke... but there is no way it stays at 40% which is double his career average. How high its actually gotten 40% is due to the small sample size and is a little flukey... we should expect it to level out.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:42 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
A great shooting % isn't a fluke... but there is no way it stays at 40% which is double his career average. How high its actually gotten 40% is due to the small sample size and is a little flukey... we should expect it to level out.
If he would, he'd score 60 goals...

20% is definately realistic though, for around 30 goals.

Old
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Tusk

Before the 5 on 3's broke out tonight he was having probably his best game, so far as being involved a little more with dictating some of the flow. That's what I want to see him do, hopefully that first period was a good sign of things to come, him and Koivu are great together, with every game they seem to gain a little more swagger.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:57 PM
MastaK

I really like him. The thing that surprised me the most about him was his constant forecheking and also the fact that he make hits when he has the opportunity to do so...
I didn't think he was that type of player, he's really complete.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
mytor4*

Thank god we got Tanger. Great move by Gainey. i can see 80 to 90 pts for the tanger.Our system and him are a perfect fit..

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaK View Post
I really like him. The thing that surprised me the most about him was his constant forecheking and also the fact that he make hits when he has the opportunity to do so...
I didn't think he was that type of player, he's really complete.
He definitely is. Tanguay's game is much more rounded than anyone gives him credit for. He doesn't like being made to play a defensive style, but when playing under a coach who gets him, he's money in both ends.

The Tanguay trade was a Gainey type of move: wait 'til you can get the player you want at the cheapest price possible. That's why I never believe all the wacky blockbuster-style rumours that pop up during the season. Why should he gut the system when he doesn't have to?

Last edited by Dogbert*: 10-30-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
axman88

guys don't forget...Tanguay is one of the best shooting percentage (goals/shots on net) in the league....playing with kovalev and koivu he should be scoring between 30-45 goals a yr with their impeccable passing )especially on powerplays.....also i'm surprised that there are some shootouts where carbo doesn't use him....when he picks a spot he buries it

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote