HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

4 Atl trade ideas

Old
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
4 Atl trade ideas

Here are some ideas I have as an outsider!

#1 Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/LW Antoine Vermette
C Alexander Nikulin

The Sens receive a young #1 who can tend nets for them for the next 10 yrs. Thrashers receive a very talented young Russian C that hasn't gotten a shot yet. He didn't play in preseason and wants to play in NHL. Vermette is a proven 2nd line C/LW who is a lock to put up 60-70 pts and has a good contract keeping him thru next year. He also has potential to be a #1 C.

#2 Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/W Antoine Vermette
RW Josh Hennessey
Ottawa's 1st

#2b Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/W Antoine Vermette
C Alexander Nikulin
San Jose's 1st
Basically same as 1st but if the Thrashers would want a little more value then a Russian prospect.

#3 Phi-Atl
Flyers receive
G Ondrej Pavelec

Thrashers receive
RW Andreas Nodl

Flyers get a NHL ready young netminder while Atlanta receives a top tier prospect who has played well in his limited time in NHL.

#4 Col-Atl
Avalanche receive
G Ondrej Pavelec

Thrashers receive
RW Marek Svatos
2nd round pick

Avs get a goalie of the future to replace Budaj or Raycroft. Thrashers receive a young RW who has high end offensive skill and a good pick.

Ok! So what do you think. Flame Away!

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 10-29-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:28 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
as a flyers fan, i'm curious whether nodl has more value than svatos. i'd do a nodl for pavelec trade, but i doubt the thrashers consider it.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:28 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

I don't think any of these are bad proposals, but I am not a Thrasher's fan so I can't judge.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Scrambllllle

I'm in for both of the Sens proposals. But they wouldn't want Hennessy, he's a bust

Scrambllllle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
heatley_fan*

The Ottawa proposals are laughable really. Lehtonen is worth much more than that.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
The Ottawa proposals are laughable really. Lehtonen is worth much more than that.
I would argue that Vermette has potential to be a top line player, Josh Hennessy would get a real chance at NHL in Atlanta. That pick should be a solid 1st for Atlanta to continue there rebuild.

Maybe Alexander Nikulin would be a better option for Atlanta then Hennessy!

I also think that Pavelec will be a star in the NHL after watching him here in Chicago. I would also say that Lehtonen is a potential risk to Atlanta's future given his groin issues.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Here are some ideas I have as an outsider!

#1 Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/LW Antoine Vermette
C Alexander Nikulin

The Sens receive a young #1 who can tend nets for them for the next 10 yrs. Thrashers receive a very talented young Russian C that hasn't gotten a shot yet. He didn't play in preseason and wants to play in NHL. Vermette is a proven 2nd line C/LW who is a lock to put up 60-70 pts and has a good contract keeping him thru next year. He also has potential to be a #1 C.

#2 Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/W Antoine Vermette
RW Josh Hennessey
Ottawa's 1st

#2b Ott-Atl
Senators receive
G Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers receive
C/W Antoine Vermette
C Alexander Nikulin
San Jose's 1st
Basically same as 1st but if the Thrashers would want a little more value then a Russian prospect.

#3 Phi-Atl
Flyers receive
G Ondrej Pavelec

Thrashers receive
RW Andreas Nodl

Flyers get a NHL ready young netminder while Atlanta receives a top tier prospect who has played well in his limited time in NHL.

#4 Col-Atl
Avalanche receive
G Ondrej Pavelec

Thrashers receive
RW Marek Svatos
2nd round pick

Avs get a goalie of the future to replace Budaj or Raycroft. Thrashers receive a young RW who has high end offensive skill and a good pick.

Ok! So what do you think. Flame Away!
Decent proposals I think.

The team is going to have to choose between Lehtonen and Pavelec at some point and they need to get the best young players they can in return.

I like #1 and #2b. Why? In addition to getting C Nikulin the Thrashers could probably get his brother D Nikulin to finally come over to North America to play for them.

As for #3 I just don't know very much about Nodl to be honest.

No interest in #4. I think Svatos is a bit over rated personally.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

From the Senators point of view, I'd do 1 and both 2a and 2b without hesitation.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:49 AM
jmor
Sens and Jets

option 1 is the best from a sens perspective

nikulin isn't worth a 1st and hennesey

although i'm not sure if atl would bite on the trade

vermie and nukes for lehtonen i'd take though

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 04:02 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I would argue that Vermette has potential to be a top line player, Josh Hennessy would get a real chance at NHL in Atlanta. That pick should be a solid 1st for Atlanta to continue there rebuild.

Maybe Alexander Nikulin would be a better option for Atlanta then Hennessy!

I also think that Pavelec will be a star in the NHL after watching him here in Chicago. I would also say that Lehtonen is a potential risk to Atlanta's future given his groin issues.
You can argue Vermette has potential to be a top line player all you want but you can also argue that Lehtonen has the potential to be the best goalie in the league.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Soundwave

Sens take those deals (any one of them I think) and run, run like the wind.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Noldo

Lehtonen is actually quite difficult to evalue:
- he is still young
- he has been (IMO deservedly) highly praised so far, but hasn't completedly brought that game to NHL level yet
- he is known to have injuries (mostly his hips, raising (IMO deserved) concerns of his durability)
- signed only for this season (3,0 cap hit, arbitration eligible RFA thereafter)

At this point I would say that Kari Lehtonen could be the premium example of high risk/high reward trade that could be made in the whole league.

In best case (for the team trading for him), he stays in the course and becomes (continues to be?) viable starter (preferably with a bit lighter work load) and stays healthy for many years to come. Even if Pavelev turns out good, such a trade could end up (once again) biting Atlanta big time.

In worst case (for team trading for him), the injuries take toll on Kari and he is even forced to retire or at least requires very capable backup to take care of the long stretches of time starter is injured. Depending on his demands next summer, Kari could be overpaid as well. In that case Atlante might well be better of with the package received from trade.

Now, at the same time Lehtonen is among the few items of value that Atlanta could actually trade. If Pavelev is ready, there would not be that drastical change in goaltending. There is probably some concerns from Atlantas side regarding Kari's durability, because he was given just one year contract last time (of course it could be also Kari's demand, seeing that he did not have the best of the seasons behind him).

So I could see Atlanta moving Kari this season, but for fair price. I would assume that Trashers would prefer player that could break out next season, because they are in no hurry this season (Tavares could look nice next to Kovalchuk, won't you think?), but they have to have pieces in place next season to convince Kovy to stay, so Vermette + Nikulin could be ok deal, most likely with at least SJ's 1st, but even then I would not call it slam dunk (for ATL).

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:38 AM
teal

okay hennessy is a first rounder who was part of the mark bell trade and he's still not playing in the nhl.... i think it's time to give up on him.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teal View Post
okay hennessy is a first rounder who was part of the mark bell trade and he's still not playing in the nhl.... i think it's time to give up on him.
hnnessy was a second rounder, and most people refer to that trade as the havlat trade.

As for the proposals, the first one is a joke, but i think vermette + nikulin + SJ first is pretty intriguing on both sides. Ottawa might end up getting stuck carrying 3 goalies, however, unless gerber goes down with an injury.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Kari has played very well. Even in the 7-0 loss to Philly, three goals went off a skate (one off of Hainsey!) on another he was completely screened, and another was a point-blank shot. It was more a problem of the Thrashers letting Philly get to the net.

The Thrahsers have serious offensive issues right now. Serious. They need to consider Pavelec and a prospect for something like Vermette and a lesser prospect. Atlanta has other decent goalie prospects in the system, although none as good as Pavelec.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
hnnessy was a second rounder, and most people refer to that trade as the havlat trade.

As for the proposals, the first one is a joke, but i think vermette + nikulin + SJ first is pretty intriguing on both sides. Ottawa might end up getting stuck carrying 3 goalies, however, unless gerber goes down with an injury.
the flyers would be happy to arrange something. maybe for a 2nd rounder?

atlanta's biggest immediate issue is a poor front office. get a better gm and better personnel directors and start the rebuild. that means trading players like kovalchuk, but keeping guys like lehtonen and pavelec.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Ellipson

If I was Atlanta, I would politely decline all of these offers (not that the value isn't bad; it's one of the best proposal threads I've seen in a while). Having a solid netminder plus good ones coming up behind him is one of the important things a rebuilding organization can have. Keep the goalie depth, be a seller at the deadline again, and rebuild the offense slowly.

As a Colorado fan, I would do Svatos + 2nd for Pavelec after some thought, but I can understand the idea that he's overrated. I would tell ATL that he hasn't really had the opportunity to play with our top guys, but I can't exactly fault him for not wanting to trade Pavelec at all.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Habitants

the only one of these that makes sense is the Colorado deal.
they need a good goalie for the future, and they will be missing cap space to retain Svatos, so this is a decent deal.

none of those deals would land Lehtonen. and trading lehtonen before one of their other goalies would be a step back!

and do the flyers really need a goalie?

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:07 PM
chet1926

I'd do the Colorado deal, but it would have to be Svatos for Pavelec straight up no draft picks going anywhere.

If you put Svatos on a line with Kovalchuk he will get you 30+ goals, and 30+ assists, he is a very underrated passer. Pavelec still has yet to prove a thing in the NHL, but has shown he can get it done in the AHL.

I don't think the Avs should have to give up a 2nd as well as Svatos, that would be an overpayment for a player who has yet to play an NHL game. I'd maybe throw a 4th round pick because it would be awesome to actually have a real goalie in our system.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I don't think the Avs should have to give up a 2nd as well as Svatos, that would be an overpayment for a player who has yet to play an NHL game. I'd maybe throw a 4th round pick because it would be awesome to actually have a real goalie in our system.
Pavelec appeared in 7 games early last season. He went 3-3 with a 3.11 GAA and .905 SV.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Ellipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'd do the Colorado deal, but it would have to be Svatos for Pavelec straight up no draft picks going anywhere.

If you put Svatos on a line with Kovalchuk he will get you 30+ goals, and 30+ assists, he is a very underrated passer. Pavelec still has yet to prove a thing in the NHL, but has shown he can get it done in the AHL.

It is overpayment. It doesn't necessarily make sense on value, but when you consider team needs, Svatos is expendable here and we're getting a top flight goalie prospect. The 2nd is the overpayment because you have to make up for Svatos's perceived value. Call the 4th to 2nd the homer adjustment.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Atlanta's not going to trade Lehtonen unless its either an upgrade in net or they get compensation to go along with an inferior starter.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipson View Post
It is overpayment. It doesn't necessarily make sense on value, but when you consider team needs, Svatos is expendable here and we're getting a top flight goalie prospect. The 2nd is the overpayment because you have to make up for Svatos's perceived value. Call the 4th to 2nd the homer adjustment.
I don't know why anyone should have to overpay...in my opinion both teams get fair value Svatos for Pavelec straight up. Atlanta gets a scorer they desperately need, and the Avs get a goalie, that could help us.

In my personal opinion right now Svatos>Pavelec, but if Pavelec plays to his potential Pavelec>Svatos. So I can see why Atlanta might want a draft pick as well. But a second is a little steep because the Avs give away a thirty goal scorer and a high pick, and Atlanta only gives away a top prospect. Thats why I think a fourth and Svatos should be fair value to get Pavelec.

Old
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Pavelec appeared in 7 games early last season. He went 3-3 with a 3.11 GAA and .905 SV.
Sorry, I didn't know he got any time last year. Those aren't bad numbers considering what he had in front of him.