HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs prospect Pavel Valentenko signs with Moscow Dynamo

Old
10-30-2008, 08:14 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Habs prospect Pavel Valentenko signs with Moscow Dynamo

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=ru&tl=en

Three year deal.

Valentenko was under contract with the Habs and playing with their AHL affiliate the Hamilton Bulldogs. He played last year in the AHL too. There was talk of letting Valentenko return home to deal with some personal issues, but I can't imagine the Habs brass would have agreed to let him go for three years, after apparently being pretty high on him.

So did the KHL decide the supposed "ceasefire" was off after the Loktionov, Voynov and Filatov signings?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
chris96

what?? Really?? Wow, bad news for Habs fans.. Valentenko had lots of promise.

chris96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:31 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Vasyunov came over for New Jersey, and the details are not clear on how they managed it. Retaliation?

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Vasyunov came over for New Jersey, and the details are not clear on how they managed it. Retaliation?
So this is Lou's fault?

Valentenko had an interview in June to the Russian press about how much he loved NA, the style of the game, he'll wait for his chance & that he wouldn't be swayed by big money offers to come back to Russia. Now that's not just sweet talk.

All of a sudden he leaves to go back home 10 games into the AHL season. Something big must have come up with his family...I just don't understand the 3 year deal.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Probably saw the writing on the wall for an NHL career in Montreal with so many good young d-men in the system.

But, unless the Habs said as much, and gave him permission to leave because his NHL prospects were so slim, he's in violation of his contract and the supposed ceasefire the NHL and KHL had.

But I don't blame him for wanting to go back to Russia, and make alot more money than he would in the AHL for the forseeable future.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Artyukhin*

http://habsinsideout.com/main/10185

Report: Valentenko bolts Bulldogs, signs for three years with Moscow Dynamo
posted by at 9h34 EST on Oct 30

The Moscow Dynamo website is report this morning (translation from Russian to entertaining English is here) that Canadiens defence prospect Pavel Valentenko has signed a three-year deal with that Russian club.

The Canadiens are looking into the report and will comment on it in due course.

The Bulldogs this week had given the highly-touted 21-year-old an indefinite leave to attend to family matters back in Russia.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
WingsLove88

Huh... must be quite the family matters if he is staying for 3 years.....

So what was he expected to be in the future? What was his ceiling at?

WingsLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I really liked him as a prospect. He was a bad ass in the WJ's. And played a physical, nasty defensive game from what I remember.

My feeling is that at his age, salary, and cap problems Montreal could potentially have he'd be able to get a shot at the bigs sooner rather then later.

Sucks to see him take off to Russia though..

10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
OneSharpMarble

Still got Mcdonagh and Fischer, next draft teams will be definitly thinking twice about russian prospects.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsLove88 View Post
Huh... must be quite the family matters if he is staying for 3 years.....

So what was he expected to be in the future? What was his ceiling at?
He really seemed to make some visible strides last year over the course of the season, to the point where it was at least somewhat conceivable that with a strong camp this year he could have cracked the Habs as a #6/7/8 guy. He didn't have that strong camp and clearly looked like he needed another year in the AHL, though.

But I think we were mostly ready to pencil him in to be an NHLer eventually, not a lot of risk in that, maybe an Igor Ulanov/Vitali Vishnevski kind of upside, a rough and ready #4-6 guy who could play regular minutes and provide physicality. Had a hard shot, but whether that would have ever translated to any offensive production remains doubtful IMHO. In the big picture, losing a depth defenseman isn't too much of a loss for any team. It's nice if you can bring one up through the system and pay them starter salaries instead of going out to sign somebody at higher UFA rates, though.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
So apparently the Habs have agreed to let him go to Moscow for the year with an out-clause at the end of the season for him to return to North America if he wants.

I think.

Old
10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So apparently the Habs have agreed to let him go to Moscow for the year with an out-clause at the end of the season for him to return to North America if he wants.

I think.
That's not so bad then. Let him play in Russia and be close to his family for the year and have him back for next season. It was doubtful he would of played with the Habs this year anyway unless major injuries occurred. Seems like a nice move on the part of the Habs.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That's not so bad then. Let him play in Russia and be close to his family for the year and have him back for next season. It was doubtful he would of played with the Habs this year anyway unless major injuries occurred. Seems like a nice move on the part of the Habs.
It's possible they thought it would be better for him to play close to his family (if these "family issues" are indeed true) rather than have him in Hamilton being distracted, homesick, not playing his best, etc.

On the other hand it's possible Valentenko just straight up bailed and signed in Russia and all this family/outclause talk is the Habs trying to cover their ***** because they know he has no intention of ever coming back.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old
10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's possible they thought it would be better for him to play close to his family (if these "family issues" are indeed true) rather than have him in Hamilton being distracted, homesick, not playing his best, etc.

On the other hand it's possible Valentenko just straight up bailed and signed in Russia and all this family/outclause talk is the Habs trying to cover their ***** because they know he has no intention of ever coming back.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yes there is always that risk but if what is being reported is true and the Habs did agree to all this and the contract does have the out clause then Tank would be violating that agreement if he doesn't come back next year. But honestly I don't know what to think because I have a hard time believing what I read with regards to the NHL and KHL agreeing on anything.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Yes there is always that risk but if what is being reported is true and the Habs did agree to all this and the contract does have the out clause then Tank would be violating that agreement if he doesn't come back next year. But honestly I don't know what to think because I have a hard time believing what I read with regards to the NHL and KHL agreeing on anything.
An out-clause doesn't mean he has to come back, it just means he has the choice.

For all we know there is no out-clause but the Habs can just say "well he chose to stay in Russia, it's not like we didn't give him the option" if/when he doesn't come back.

Old
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I'll believe it when i see confirmation. But for now the "confirmation" seems to indicate its a 3 year deal.

If he bolted for the 3 year deal then this is dissapointing. Valentenko was said to be a defenceman in the "Volchenkov mold". With Brisebois surely gone next year and Bouillon likely gone, he would have been given every opportunity to crack the Habs next year. In terms of upside he's probably not one of our top 4-5 d prospects, but in terms of NHL readyness he was probably right at the top.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It is a 3 year deal. With an out-clause after the first year so Valentenko can decide if he wants to come back to North America and play with the Dogs/Habs, or if he wants to stay and play out the remaining 2 years with Moscow.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Old
10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
It is a 3 year deal. With an out-clause after the first year so Valentenko can decide if he wants to come back to North America and play with the Dogs/Habs, or if he wants to stay and play out the remaining 2 years with Moscow.

That's how I understand it, anyway.
It looks like you are right... we have a source confirming this.... from our board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm the guy who report the news today....

From CKAC. ca....

Habs gave him the permission to go. Valentenko did sign a 3-year contract but the last 2 being option years. Valentenko would have the choice to comeback after this season.

If you go and visit that site....please remember that the picture that you are seeing is indeed Valentenko.....a little shorter and speaks french, but it should not refrain yourself to still think that CKAC is a reliable site....

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...0-1253373.html

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

I think.
My question would be why didn't the Habs just come out and say that, instead of waiting so long to comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I'll believe it when i see confirmation. But for now the "confirmation" seems to indicate its a 3 year deal.
That's the way I see it too, which would be very disappointing.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Beakermania*

TSN is reporting the Habs knew nothing of the three year deal....

Not sure what to believe now....

We'll have to wait for Gainey or Bulldogs GM Julian Brisebois to make a statement.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote