HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-09 - Kings Manchester Monarchs (AHL) Update Thread

Old
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylyn View Post
That line on a PP is indeed a head scratcher.
Parse playing between those 2 is the head scratcher. Why don't they play him to his strengths? You know, with more offensive players.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
GMofOilers

How's Holloway's play been. I see he has 2 goals in 3 games. Not bad for a rookie. Im going to watch a game here soon. Until than what line is he on??
Do you guys think he will make the 3rd line of the Kings in a couple years. He has scored at every level hes been in. I just dont ever seen any mention of him.

Thanks in advance.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
deano

I see that Kidd is scratched again tonight, does anyone have any info on why he's getting so few games this season? He was one of the better defenders last season when he joined us out of Erie, and had a powerplay goal in his first game of the season. He's not listed on the IR, and find it hard to believe that his game has dropped off that dramatically to only have gotten into two games.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I see that Kidd is scratched again tonight, does anyone have any info on why he's getting so few games this season? He was one of the better defenders last season when he joined us out of Erie, and had a powerplay goal in his first game of the season. He's not listed on the IR, and find it hard to believe that his game has dropped off that dramatically to only have gotten into two games.
There is no IR in the AHL. There is no limit to the roster size therefore it's not necessary to have an IR. The result is that you typically only see guys on the injured list on the Monarchs website if they're going to be out for a bit. Masters of the obvious so to speak...

They've currently got 8-defensemen in Manchester, Hextall is in town and seeing the team in game action for the first time this season. Maybe he's looking at guys other than Kidd???

After they (Monarchs staff) were very clear that LA had instructed them that for the start of the season both goalies were to get as much ice time as possible, Quick got the start for the second straight night tonight...

Weird times at times...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
There is no IR in the AHL. There is no limit to the roster size therefore it's not necessary to have an IR. The result is that you typically only see guys on the injured list on the Monarchs website if they're going to be out for a bit. Masters of the obvious so to speak...

They've currently got 8-defensemen in Manchester, Hextall is in town and seeing the team in game action for the first time this season. Maybe he's looking at guys other than Kidd???

After they (Monarchs staff) were very clear that LA had instructed them that for the start of the season both goalies were to get as much ice time as possible, Quick got the start for the second straight night tonight...

Weird times at times...
Interesting information about the IR. Thanks for that and the response. The radio announcers were saying that Quick got the start because of last nights game, and the fact that he is from Connecticut.

I'd also like to know how Bagnall and Piskula have been playing. I'm not really a fan of either, and have been a bit surprised that Bagnall has been given a top pairing spot. I know he's been mixing it up in the fisticuffs dept., but have never been impressed with his or Piskula's game.

Jeez, the Monarchs have fallen apart after Lewis' goal......this team has a lot of work to do

Old
10-25-2008, 09:30 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
this team has a lot of work to do
ya think?

they played a pathetic first period last night vs. the baby pens & were friggin lucky to come out of it ahead 1-0. i've seen better passing at a peewee game.

the 2d period was very good, as were the first 16 minutes of the 3d. they sat on the lead & damn near lost.

tonight wasn't much different - we watched it with a few friends on the ahl live. passing is horrible, defense was nearly non-existent - and with bagnall & campbell getting game misconducts with about 6 minutes gone in the 3d, they were shorthanded on D to boot.

i have hope, but they've got a ton to learn & not much time to do it in. they play in a tough division, and they'll find themselves on the bottom to stay before too long.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:07 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
The radio announcers were saying that Quick got the start because of last nights game, and the fact that he is from Connecticut.
I get the Connecticut connection and it makes sense. Wouldn't it then make sense to have Bernier play the Friday game and Quick play the Saturday game? That the game was going to be played in CT and that Quick is from CT didn't happen at the last minute.

It's stuff like this that leads me to think that either they're (staff) really dumb OR they think the fans are and will take whatever they're told at face value. My guess is that Bernier's still not 100% or being forced to earn his ice time...

Old
10-26-2008, 08:30 AM
King Blazer

Current Monarchs Roster Players Age List:

Marty Murray – 33
Michel Leveille – 27
Denny Johnston – 26
Paul Crosty – 26
Eric Werner – 25
Drew Bagnall – 25
Gabe Gauthier – 24
Kevin Westgarth – 24
Joe Piskula – 24
Scott Parse – 24
Davis Drewiske – 23
Vladimir Dravecky – 23
Teddy Purcell – 23
Jonathan Quick – 22
Jon Rheault – 22
Trevor Lewis – 21
David Meckler – 21
Alec Martinez – 21
Marc-Andre Cliche – 21
Richard Clune – 21
Andrew Campbell – 20
Bud Holloway – 20
Justin Azevedo – 20
Jonathan Bernier – 20
Josh Kidd – 19
Viatcheslav Voynov – 18

*26-Players total
*13-players in the 23 and older group...
*13-players in the 22 and younger group...

Old
10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
PowrrrPlay

Send a message via MSN to PowrrrPlay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
... and I guess Bud Holloway, Kidd with their first AHL goals ( i think). Just wondering how some of these guys looked.
Kidd with his second AHL goal, he had another goal last spring during his Manchester ATO.

Quote:
I think it is more like 8.5 to 9 defensemen in Manchester. Not my place to comment on either side but I will after about 15 games.

Quote:
For now I will reserve comment but someone (a reporter?) should put that question directly to coach Morris, "why is Kidd a scratch?".

Cheers

PowrrrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
deano

Quote:
My guess is that Bernier's still not 100% or being forced to earn his ice time...
I've been thinking the same thing. From all of Bernier's quotes last season, and even during the off season, he seemed to have a sense of entitlement. Maybe they are making him earn every minute he gets. This could be an exercise in "psychological toughness" they say he needs. The injury from training camp is also a good guess. It's not like he's played exceptionally well so far this season.

Old
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
deano

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but here is a recent interview that Voinov did with russianprospects.com

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=599

Old
10-27-2008, 07:28 PM
sueroe

Quote:
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but here is a recent interview that Voinov did with russianprospects.com

That was a great little interview. Thanks!

I liked this answer, it kind of made me laugh:"How comfortable are you with the English language? Are you taking classes?"
V. Voinov: I am not at all comfortable with english since I do not speak it yet.

You have to admire these kids who come to a completely different place, culture, language barriers, and adapting to different ice, etc. Hope he does well.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Chruceg

Quote:

Thank you very much for the interview. I really think that he is going to be a special player in the NHL someday. Consistently playing against much older competition will really help his development. I can't wait for this year to be over to see where he stands.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:58 PM
thrillhous

How's Bernier doing these days?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:48 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
How's Bernier doing these days?
he alternates between looking unstoppable to giving up fairly soft goals glove-side.

i honestly think he's still not 100%.

Old
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
he alternates between looking unstoppable to giving up fairly soft goals glove-side.

What was it, a knee injury?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
What was it, a knee injury?
Hip flexor.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Bernier & Quick

What's the deal with these two, does the D just suck? or is it them? Thanks in Advance

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
What's the deal with these two, does the D just suck? or is it them? Thanks in Advance
D isn't spectacular this year. Harrold's absence is glaring. Bernier still doesn't look 100% physically, and Quick has been doing his best to hold the fort.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
PowrrrPlay

Send a message via MSN to PowrrrPlay
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
or Perhaps the offense is anemic?

PowrrrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

But come on 4 goals against in almost every game ain't gonna get it done

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

What the hell is up with the Monarchs schedule? They've played 10 games while the Bridgeport Sound Tigers have already played 16. What's the deal?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
hockeynutz

they'll be making up for it in the next couple weeks - 10 games in 17 days, all but 3 on the road in hamilton, rochester, cleveland, chicago, grand rapids...along with portland & hartford.

Old
11-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
they'll be making up for it in the next couple weeks - 10 games in 17 days, all but 3 on the road in hamilton, rochester, cleveland, chicago, grand rapids...along with portland & hartford.
Pumped for that one. First Monarchs game!

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:

Sounds like Garon.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote