HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Stiffler

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Guys on radio just said that the Habs ALLOWED Valentenko to stay in Russia for the rest of the season because the illness of his grand-father. And given the cost and so forth, have come up with the conclusion that the best for him would be to stay and play in Russia. Even if he signed a contract of 3 years, he will be able to return with the Habs next season.
Then that could be breach of contract with the Dynamo, right? Is that legal?

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We heard this earlier today.... we have also heard from TSN and RDS that the Canadiens had no idea that he would be signing a contract.

I'd like to hear something from Gainey or Brisebois on this issue to clear things up.
Dubé just said that the Habs were ok about any types of deal with a Russian team as long as he could return at training camp next year.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Then that could be breach of contract with the Dynamo, right? Is that legal?
Well the report is that his contract contains two option years... so it wouldn't be a breach if this is true.

Still not sure what to believe though RDS/TSN or CKAC....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:56 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Hmmm? Just recently gone to attend to the illness of his grandfather, yet has managed to sign a 3 year contract to play in Russia ere his bed has gone cold in Hamilton.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Schooner Guy

From www.tsn.ca...

The news comes just after Valentenko's AHL team - the Hamilton Bulldogs - gave the 21-year-old an indefinite leave to attend to family matters back in Russia. A Canadiens spokesman said the team was unaware of the signing.

''We didn't have a place for him here in the short term, but in the long term, it was different,'' coach Guy Carbonneau told The Canadian Press in Minnesota, where the Canadiens were to play the Wild on Thursday night.

''He was in the mix with the other young defencemen in the organization like Ryan McDonough, Yannick Weber, P.K. Subban, David Fischer, Mathieu Carle and Alexei Yemelin.''

Valentenko was Montreal's fifth pick (139th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The 6-2, 214-pound blueliner played 61 games with the Bulldogs over the last two seasons, tallying 18 points and 58 penalty minutes.

It marks the second time that a player in the Canadiens' system has returned to Russia. The club lost forward Alexander Perezhogin to Ufa Salavat two summers ago.

Looks like he did indeed pull a fast one on the Habs. Shame on Tank!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Hmmm? Just recently gone to attend to the illness of his grandfather, yet has managed to sign a 3 year contract to play in Russia ere his bed has gone cold in Hamilton.
That's because I'm keepin it warm for him.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Clumsyhab

"La Zone" just reported that Tank's dad has cancer and the family doesn't have much money for treatment. The KHL took this opportunity to offer Pavel 400k for the rest of this season + 2 year option. So looks like Valentenko did the right thing. Hopefully, he'll come back next season for the camp.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We heard this earlier today.... we have also heard from TSN and RDS that the Canadiens had no idea that he would be signing a contract.

I'd like to hear something from Gainey or Brisebois on this issue to clear things up.
Seems that there's a little bit of truth in everything. As reported by La Zone, they permitted for Valentenko to go in Russia (either for his father or grand-father, not sure about that part, didn't hear it well....). Then the family and the team offered for him to be closer to his family by making 400,000 making him able to afford any costs that this illness would have and at the same time benig closer to his family. Then seems that Valentenko contacted Gainey to talk to him about it. So Habs were not aware of any possible signing UNTIL Valentenko contacted him to let him know. Then, it really seems as if Gainey said it was OK but at the condition that he would be able to come here next year if needed.

What I find really strange is that if both parties decide that he'll remain overseas, how come he doesn't have the option for every other year left in his contract. It does seem to be that the 2 years after this year is a firm contract WITHOUT the possibility of coming back after the 2nd year.

Just wondering though that even if Gainey seems to be OK with that, how he will really take it. Did he ask to have that option for next year 'cause he's still really interested in him or just in case we can't have better? Does he take this as a defection?

It might not be as bad as we thought at first, there are still possibilities in him coming back...still once you go back....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
"La Zone" just reported that Tank's dad has cancer and the family doesn't have much money for treatment. The KHL took this opportunity to offer Pavel 400k for the rest of this season + 2 year option. So looks like Valentenko did the right thing. Hopefully, he'll come back next season for the camp.
he is doing what best for his family we cant fault that

thoughts and prayers and best wishes to all his family in there fight.

hope to see you back next year

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 10-30-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
If its real, Valentenko is a really nice guys!! Good luck for him and his dad!!!!

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:23 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Next thing we know the thread's trend will move to how classy Bob Gainey and our organization is to allow him to go for family reasons

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
This is pure BS.

Old
10-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Urgh, ****ing cancer. All the best to his dad and I hope he gets all the money he needs for a full return to health. I feel like an ass now for thinking badly of Tank.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:19 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Cancer notwithstanding, Tank is still an a-hole. The whole story has yet to out.

EDIT: When this player informed the Habs that he needed to go to Russia because his grandfather was ill, did he inform the Habs that there was no money to pay for this mans treatment? And, did the Habs refuse to aid his treatment? I absolutely do not believe that the Habs organization would ever be that cold. This is not, and never will be in their history.

Last edited by ToysInTheAttic: 10-31-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old
10-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Holy cow! Hope it's going to be alright for his dad... Completely understandable move from his part... When I first heard the news, I just had a feeling there was some strange reason behind it... especially after reading a recent article about him looking forward to making the NHL team...

Will wait for a written confirmation from the Montreal local media...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cancer notwithstanding, Tank is still an a-hole. The whole story has yet to out.

EDIT: When this player informed the Habs that he needed to go to Russia because his grandfather was ill, did he inform the Habs that there was no money to pay for this mans treatment? And, did the Habs refuse to aid his treatment? I absolutely do not believe that the Habs organization would ever be that cold. This is not, and never will be in their history.
Wouldn't that be a violation of the cap?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:32 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Wouldn't that be a violation of the cap?
No cap for players not playing on the NHL roster.

I'm gonna wait til the morning before I decide if Valentenko is an incredible hero or damn bastidge.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Astaroth

Quote:

Yeah I'm sure that the CH would gladly pay for his dad's cancer, I mean he's such an integral part of the team and has such a long history with the Canadiens' organization. /sarcasm.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't. I'm just saying that assuming they would is quite a stretch.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:11 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Yeah I'm sure that the CH would gladly pay for his dad's cancer, I mean he's such an integral part of the team and has such a long history with the Canadiens' organization. /sarcasm.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't. I'm just saying that assuming they would is quite a stretch.
I'm assuming that using this scenario as a reason for signing Valentenko in Russia is the lowest of stretches. Dirt bag even.

Curious as to how Kovalev and Markov are going to respond to this.

Old
10-31-2008, 05:55 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Giving up his dream for his father benefit.

Maybe this wasn't what he wanted to do, but he followed his heart and family is more important than any game.

If true, I hope everyone here takes back what they said because Valentenko would be one of the classiest people in the world.

Quote:

It would probably have to count against the Salary Cap (or they'd have to call him up).. because you can't give guys "extras" outside of anything in written contract.

Quote:
I'm assuming that using this scenario as a reason for signing Valentenko in Russia is the lowest of stretches. Dirt bag even.
If the what is being reported is true, I'm absolutely disgusted with what you are saying.

Valentenko said his dream was the NHL.. and he'd stick it out in the AHL..

If the guy is infact giving up his dream (for right now) to help his father.. he's got more class than I could even describe.

I used to admire you as a contributor to this forum, but what you are saying is absolutely disgusting.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-31-2008 at 09:52 AM.
One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
It would probably have to count against the Salary Cap (or they'd have to call him up).. because you can't give guys "extras" outside of anything in written contract.

If the what is being reported is true, I'm absolutely disgusted with what you are saying.

Valentenko said his dream was the NHL.. and he'd stick it out in the AHL..

If the guy is infact giving up his dream (for right now) to help his father.. he's got more class than I could even describe.

I used to admire you as a contributor to this forum, but what you are saying is absolutely disgusting.
Natey, before getting all grandiose with our conclusions, we've had reports of sick parents and grandparents. I don't think that any of the media that we've quoted knows anything for sure and too many are running with stories befdore we know.

Frankly if he did have an issue at home and felt that he was needed, whether it was his physical presence or financial aid, everyone's circumstances are different, again wait and see.

If for whatever reason he has signed a 3 year deal, when and if he wants back, if the Habs and PV agree, simply come back. Break the contract. It's Dodge City. He broke 1, he can break another.

At this point, if Ganey says something definitive then we know. If we get 'according to our sources' we're just guessing.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Next thing we know the thread's trend will move to how classy Bob Gainey and our organization is to allow him to go for family reasons

You called for me ?

Now seriously, I lived a big part of my live in that area, and before you start calling him names, you should first have all the info - I doubt we have it or we will ever have. That area is a legal no man's land, where the one with the money has power beyond law. All it would take would be some team owner there considering that Pavel still "owes" him money for some reason. Then that guy could have paid a special "recuperation" agency - and a threat like "you pay us the money or we will hurt your family" would make perfectly sense. There is a good reason why Kovalev and other russian top players have their families here. Tank (or other lower levels) cannot afford that.

I find that the most interesting part is that we do not have any real official position from the Habs. If this was a Radulov nr.2 - there would have been already a clear statement. There must be something really shady there.

And what about Ovechkin ? He did not look like he had his mind at hockey lately....And now he missed a full week..

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Natey, before getting all grandiose with our conclusions, we've had reports of sick parents and grandparents. I don't think that any of the media that we've quoted knows anything for sure and too many are running with stories befdore we know.

Frankly if he did have an issue at home and felt that he was needed, whether it was his physical presence or financial aid, everyone's circumstances are different, again wait and see.

If for whatever reason he has signed a 3 year deal, when and if he wants back, if the Habs and PV agree, simply come back. Break the contract. It's Dodge City. He broke 1, he can break another.

At this point, if Ganey says something definitive then we know. If we get 'according to our sources' we're just guessing.
Le vieil homme est un homme sage...

Listen to mcphee, he is right, as for giving up his dream, I don't see how playing a year in the KHL means giving up the NHL dream... If he comeback next year.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...b-f87d95cc6c47

Not a whole lot of new, but it's the 1st time I see Brisebois or Gainey talk on the subject.
Quote:
Julien Brisebois, a lawyer who doubles as the Canadiens' capologist and general manager of Bulldogs, said he was trying to determine what happened. He said the Canadiens had no idea Valentenko was planning to stay in Russia.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...b-f87d95cc6c47

Not a whole lot of new, but it's the 1st time I see Brisebois or Gainey talk on the subject.
Seems to me that it means that they weren't aware, when he left, that this was the plan. But then seems that he called them from Russia to explain the situation and Gainey agreed to it only if he had a clause permitting him to comeback next year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote