HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu Brothers in arms? Maybe

Old
10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Koivu Brothers in arms? Maybe

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...7PQLanchO7DiUX

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
SpreeEndaz

Basically, if I got it right:

Journalist : "Would you like to play with your brother one day ? "
Saku: "Who wouldn't, you ***-hat !"

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

ok.... so Mikko to Montreal E4

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post

or

Saku and Mikko Koivu to Leafs (E3)

Old
10-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post

Saku to Minnesota E5

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
axman88

helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! all this speculation of Gaborik to mtl....maybe....just maybe....Gainey loves Saku Koivu (as do I), and he probably wants him to stay in mtl and retire in mtl....what better way to do that than to trade for his brother...i wouldn't be surprised seeing a Higgins + Halak for Mikku Koivu. Or possibly even a Plekanec for Koivu trade

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! all this speculation of Gaborik to mtl....maybe....just maybe....Gainey loves Saku Koivu (as do I), and he probably wants him to stay in mtl and retire in mtl....what better way to do that than to trade for his brother...i wouldn't be surprised seeing a Higgins + Halak for Mikku Koivu. Or possibly even a Plekanec for Koivu trade
Pleks will have to play better. Even if he replicates last season, I doubt Minnesota hands over Mikko. It would take more than that. They're trying to trade Gaborik after all. Mikko is starting to blossom into a playmaker like Saku was in his heyday before injuries wreaked havoc (1996-2002 was his possible prime and he barely was able to play due to injuries).

And the Habs should never, EVER trade Saku. If he leaves, let it be because we can't reach a contract. He's our captain, one of our top 5 players and always our most consistent playoff performer. Minnesota doesn't sign UFA's a lot and I'm sure we could match them unless they offer over 5M for Saku. Who knows? Maybe Saku will want his same contract or a little less to help the team win. He doesn't seem like a greedy man (not like Sundin!).

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:42 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
That's a very intruiging option to investigate in; but I think we should throw in a second round pick to balance it like:

Higgins Halak and a 2nd

for

M. Koivu

Now, that looks better !

Old
10-30-2008, 10:44 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
That's a very intruiging option to investigate in; but I think we should throw in a second round pick to balance it like:

Higgins Halak and a 2nd

for

M. Koivu

Now, that looks better !

Oh for sure.
The Wild need young goalies.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Carey Chant

I still remember on draft day thinking...one more pick and we get Saku's brother...then the Wild take him.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post
I still remember on draft day thinking...one more pick and we get Saku's brother...then the Wild take him.
As did I, but then again wouldn't you rather have Komi?

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:47 PM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post

Higgins Halak and a 2nd

for

M. Koivu

Now, that looks better !
lol...just watch in less than 24 hours...Breaking news on Eklund....E4 from a reliable source...Montreal and Wild talking trade...for Mikko Koivu

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
As did I, but then again wouldn't you rather have Komi?
And I would NOT trade Komi for Mikko.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post
We got Komisarek.

I'm happy with the pick.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Marksman

Theres no way either of Koivu brothers get traded now. Their are both playing in (some of) the top teams in their conference. But ... I think we'll see them playing for the same team - Finnish national team next Olympics.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Rayne*

Saku will re-sign after the season is over, as he always does.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:52 AM
Noldo

Saku's contract is the one of the next summer's UFA contracts that gives Gainey most tools to play with. Koivu has been here for a long time, can be signed for long term with lesser cap hit if needed and is the most likely player of Habs' UFAs-to-be to take home town discount.

So there is practically two sensible times to concentrate on Saku's contract:
1.) First, in order to set example for all the others (take a bit less to keep the team together). This is the Detroit model. Now, it is risky since Saku isn't equally the most important and best player of the team like Lidström is for Detroit.

2.) Last, after all the ather parts are in the place, you give Saku what you can. This is a bit like what Ducks did with Selanne (that contract is truly a home town discount).

Taking into account Saku's history with the team and the number of other UFAs to be (most importantly Komisarek, Kovalev and Tanguay), it would seem sensible if Gainey decides to pursue option #2 with Saku.

Now, if Koivu actually enters into UFA market, there should be nice bidding for his services. Especially if he could keep up his lately play (and the shortened preparation this summer can still actually hold him back, he can still improve once the season gets older), he could be quite an addition to many teams, as 2nd line center. Minnesota could easily be one of the interested, having Koivu-Koivu down the middle is not a bad start for contender.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Saku's contract is the one of the next summer's UFA contracts that gives Gainey most tools to play with.
Let's give him 4 years / 15 millions (5+5+3+2)

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:14 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Pleks will have to play better. Even if he replicates last season, I doubt Minnesota hands over Mikko. It would take more than that. They're trying to trade Gaborik after all. Mikko is starting to blossom into a playmaker like Saku was in his heyday before injuries wreaked havoc (1996-2002 was his possible prime and he barely was able to play due to injuries).

And the Habs should never, EVER trade Saku. If he leaves, let it be because we can't reach a contract. He's our captain, one of our top 5 players and always our most consistent playoff performer. Minnesota doesn't sign UFA's a lot and I'm sure we could match them unless they offer over 5M for Saku. Who knows? Maybe Saku will want his same contract or a little less to help the team win. He doesn't seem like a greedy man (not like Sundin!).
If Sundin is such a greedy man as you claim, why would he not take the Canucks 20 million dollar offer for two years? Sounds like a good choice for even a slightly greedy man.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:59 AM
JTWymanFan*

LMAO really really hard !!!!!

1st The Wild do NOT need a goalie !!
2nd The Wild will NOT trade M Koivu !!

So please give it a rest !!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
If Sundin is such a greedy man as you claim, why would he not take the Canucks 20 million dollar offer for two years? Sounds like a good choice for even a slightly greedy man.
And even if he did take that OFFER, whats he supposed to do, say "ohh nono, just so people don't perceive me as greedy, hows about 2 year 14 million?"
All these people that would critic someone for taking that, are hypocrites because you know damn well they'd take it too.
LOL some peoples kids...

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
And I would NOT trade Komi for Mikko.
What about Komisarek + Higgins for Schultz + Koivu?

Just throwing it out there lol..

In all seriousness, you're goalie comment made me spit my drink out lol

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
krmason

The impression I got from several articles is that they both say it would be nice, but only in the future.

I get the strong impression that Mikko does not want to play with Saku, as he is trying to create his own identity. I can only assume, being 8 years younger, that he has always been in Saku's shadow and wants to create his own shadow.

Perhaps in his last year in the league, Saku might join his brother but they both gave some pretty strong vibes that it would not work out.

krmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:29 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmason View Post

I get the strong impression that Mikko does not want to play with Saku, as he is trying to create his own identity. I can only assume, being 8 years younger, that he has always been in Saku's shadow and wants to create his own shadow.
I disagree with this, i think they would both simply just be happy for each others success. However, if what you say is true about Mikko, then what better way to create his own identity then to outperform his brother on the same team?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
krmason

I am in the same thing with my brother where he always seems to be a step ahead of me and anything that I accomplish is always measured against him.

I get the same feeling here, with what ever he does, it will always be compared to Saku and I really feel that he wants to create his own destiny in a place where Saku is not casting a shadow.

If Mikko were to come to montreal, all he will hear about is what Saku accomplished and will he ever amount to that. I don't think he wants that just yet until he hits his full stride.

krmason is offline   Reply With Quote