HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Näslund: "I feel more relaxed."

Old
10-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Näslund: "I feel more relaxed."

"I feel more relaxed"

NEW YORK. Markus Näslund is getting warm in his new clothes. Once again he scored a goal when his New York Rangers defeated Atlanta Trashers with 3-2 last night.

- I feel more relaxed now, says the veteran after the triumph.

New York Rangers keeps winning and winning. The victory tonight was the teams' fourth - and with it Markus Näslund and his team broke a team record; never before have Rangers had such good statistics after 13 rounds.

Pulling away
It also means they pull away in the top of the summarized NHL table. Notable - especially since the blue shirts haven't really played that well for 60 minutes in one single game.

- No, we mess up once and then, and we have Henke to thank for many of these victories, says Markus Näslund when Aftonbladets meets him in the Rangers locker room.
- But it feels good we still keep winning so much. We have good self confidence. Despite being behind before the last period we go out and know we can win.

Starts relaxing
Also for his own sake Näslund starts to have good self confidence. He has answered for seven points in the last five games and scored a goal also against Atlanta.

- It feels like I'm starting to relax more, he explains.
- It was a while when I just skated around and chased too much, and messed up with the puck. Now I start to feel more comfortable.

That sounds good for the league leaders.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:15 AM
bumrusherer

It certainly looks like it. Sometimes its hard as fans to understand that even the most experienced players will suffer from insecurity or nerves when they take themselves out of their comfort zone.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
what a relief....

I hope he doesn't relax too much....

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Levitate

I think Naslund is going to be one of those guys who quietly puts up points this year, but doesn't stand out a whole lot. I didn't even know he had 7 points in 5 games.

Not someone you want to rely on to carry the team, but someone who makes some important contributions

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think Naslund is going to be one of those guys who quietly puts up points this year, but doesn't stand out a whole lot. I didn't even know he had 7 points in 5 games.

Not someone you want to rely on to carry the team, but someone who makes some important contributions
And thats's why I thought he was a good signing. Was asked to do to much in Vancouver as opposed to here

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
There was a time when he was that kind of player, the kind of player that could carry a team.

That time is probably past him, but the Rangers didn't pay him to be that type of player. If he scores 30 goals it'd be well, well, well worth it.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
I agree, boy it would be something to get 30 goals from him.....
(hes on pace for 25, slow start included)

I'm just too excited watching this team

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
dfings

Something else about Naslund is that during the game last night when Z was sent to the penalty box for that trip before the face off it was not Chris Drury talking to the refs it was Marcus Naslund. I am glad that he went over and talked to the refs and hopefully he will continue that in the future when there are questionable calls and brawls.

dfings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Hmm... that sounds familiar. I think we got a very good replacement for Straka

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Exactly! With an upside of some additional production if we're lucky

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I am not so sure he was a good signing...
His attribute is speed.....at 35 he wont be getting any faster. Not like Jagr who is using his size and strength and stick skill to get himself into position, naslund uses his skating.

I actually think he will age far quickly than Shanny who doesnt rely on speed at at all.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yea but Straka was a heart and soul player. When Naslund dives in front of a Zdano Chara slapshot TWICE in once shift than you can compare him to Straka. But thats not to say I'm not happy with the signing Naslund, in fact its the completel opposite. Im very happy with his play, just dont compare him to Straka because hes not.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
NYR Viper

you can tell he is getting more and more comfortable....and he is finally shooting the puck....i agree with whoever said he seems like the type of player who will quietly put up points all season long and be a nice piece to the puzzle here in NY....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Stats wise he is comparable to what Straka was to the team.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
ThisYearsModel

25 goals from markus is acceptable. Anything over 30 is a bonus. he hustles and plays both ends, and when Sundin gets here he will really produce.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
His attribute is speed.....at 35 he wont be getting any faster. Not like Jagr who is using his size and strength and stick skill to get himself into position, naslund uses his skating.

I actually think he will age far quickly than Shanny who doesnt rely on speed at at all.
I dunno, I believe skating players who avoid a lot of physical contact tend to age better. Unless Renney gives him way too many minutes he should be fine for the next 2 seasons.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
25 goals from markus is acceptable. Anything over 30 is a bonus. he hustles and plays both ends, and when Sundin gets here he will really produce.
Care to reveal the source you're getting this from?

On topic, its good that Naslund feels that he has found a niche on this team. His point production along with Zherdev's is what will make or break the Rangers offense from here on in.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Pretty sure Sundin is leaning towards a 2-year, 20$ million offer, rather than the 1-year $2 million offer the Rangers can offer him.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Pretty sure Sundin is leaning towards a 2-year, 20$ million offer, rather than the 1-year $2 million offer the Rangers can offer him.
If that was the case and money was what is important to him he would be playing for the Nucks right now. IMO it's pretty obvious that Mats and the Rangers have been waiting on each other.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post

While I'm inclined to agree with you about Näslund not being as evergreen as Shanny, his best attribute, speed, is not his only one. He's got a fine release and a lot of character and brains on the ice. I don't think he'll age badly, even if he won't be in the league anymore when he's 40.

I don't think it's a good sign that he's still someone who can rightly considers 20 goals and 60 points disappointing

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
If that was the case and money was what is important to him he would be playing for the Nucks right now. IMO it's pretty obvious that Mats and the Rangers have been waiting on each other.
Good word I hope not.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Just because you want it to happen doesn't make it a reality, pal.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:32 PM
slim399

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
Stats wise he is comparable to what Straka was to the team.
Was thinking the same thing. Seems like a similar signing to what Straka was at the time. If he can put up similar numbers to strak his first two seasons I will be very happy... and has the potential to exceed that. Seems like he has that same hard working solid two way game and lead by example type of play.

As others mentioned he has the wild card factor of being very good friends with Sundin and helping the possibility of signing him. There is now way you can believe that Sather did not have this in the back of his mind when signing him.

I still can't help dream of a Naslund-Sundin-Korpikoski line for the second half of the season. Sundin puts this team from a very good team to a cup contender.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:16 AM
pavvento

Quote:

I would think Sundin is doing what every old athlete is doing these days, taking some time off and starting late to stay fresh for the playoffs.

I really don't think the Rangers are interested in having Dubinsky center the third line, which is why Drury has been on the wing so much.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Kiefer

Good to hear that he is finding his place in NY.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote