HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney Appreciation Thread

Old
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Tom Renney Appreciation Thread

No appreciation for our great and underrated coach?

4th most winning coach in team history (143 wins).
3rd highest win percentage in team history (0.577).
7th longest standing coach in team history (279 games).

10-2-1, the Rangers best start in team history.

How can people hate this guy? He's the best thing that's happened to the Rangers in many years.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Shake and Bake

I agree with you, but do we need an appreaciation thread for half of our team? Who will have the next appreciation thread?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Nothing wrong with appreciating the team . Better than complaining about everyone.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

You're just setting this up for the anti-renney boneheads, but ya know what - ****'em

Renney has been a godsend. He's not perfect, but there are few coaches out there that are. His calm demeanor & smart player friendly approach has been a perfect fit

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
NYR Viper

i can honestly say renney is a great coach...of course he has his positives and negatives but overall im glad he is the rangers coach and i dont see him going anywhere anytime soon

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
GAGLine

People hate on him because they disagree with his line changes or ingame management, but how many of these people have ever coached a hockey team? Few if any, I would imagine. And some people dislike him because he doesn't throw fits on the bench on a regular basis. I guess maturity is out of style.

I remember the dark times before the lockout and I know that Renney had a very large hand in bringing us out of that. I also know that the players respect him and want to play for him. In his interviews he always seems very honest and forthcoming. He doesn't sugarcoat anything and while he generally won't give much away, his words don't come off to me as coachspeak.

People like to claim he can't get us to a Stanley Cup, and they point to the fact that he hasn't done so yet as proof, but that is a straw man argument. Lots of great coaches have never won the cup just like lots of great players have never won the cup. Ray Bourque didn't suddenly become a good player the day he was traded to Colorado.

We've had 3 pretty damn good years under Renney and so far this year is shaping up to be better yet. Anyone who complains about Renney at this point just wants to complain. They'll continue complaining even if we win a cup, I'm sure. Some people just have it in their head that a certain player or certain coach sucks, and no amount of evidence to the contrary will ever sway them. It's really easy to pick out the few things a coach/player does wrong, or they imagine he does wrong, and ignore all that they do right.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You're just setting this up for the anti-renney boneheads, but ya know what - ****'em

Renney has been a godsend. He's not perfect, but there are few coaches out there that are. His calm demeanor & smart player friendly approach has been a perfect fit
Agreed. Renney has brought stability to a very volatile position in franchise history. He has crafted a fine system and the defensive philosophy is working very well. He isn't perfect but the players listen to him which I can't say has happened since Mike Keenan. Colin Campbell lost the players almost immediately. John Muckler may be a decent GM but never proved he could coach a team without a Gretzky and Messier in their prime. I'm convinced Bryan Trottier was an Islanders plant. And I never knew what to expect with Ron Low. And Glen Sather should never coach.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Chimp

Here comes my appreciation for Renney's work. He has been far from perfect, but the things he has done well, he has done really well. He has turned one of the worst defensive teams in the league into one of the best (with the help of his players). He has given the Rangers franchise consistency. He is professional, he has the respect of his players and he has created a culture of hard work ethics and professionalism. He demands his players to be as fit and mentally prepared as can be asked from professionals.

All in all, it's hard to ask for more. He ain't perfect, but he's a good fit for the organisation. Slowly, he has turned the team into his team, playing the kind of hockey he has always wanted. He has done the only right thing and asked for players fitting his system, not for any players which he then has to form a system around. That is how you start building a successful team.

I've personally been a doubter from time to time because of what I have considered dubious decisions during hard times, but I can't really blame him for it. Who am I to judge? He probably knows alot more about hockey and the team than I do.

We could have had a much worse coach than Renney and that, I am thankful for. Here's for the 2008-2009 cup run!

Last edited by Chimp: 10-31-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
NYROrtsFan

He's not perfect and I think people have to realize that no coach is... His pros far outweigh the negatives.

Him and Jagr changed this team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The thing that impresses me the most about Renney is that his team comes ready to play virtually every night.

Its been a rarity over the last 3+ seasons where the Rangers were completely blown out.

We are in every game and we win the majority of them. Perhaps its almost time for greater expectations, but personally I have loved watching the last 3 years after the ****show I watched for 7 years prior to that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Nothing wrong with appreciating the team . Better than complaining about everyone.
That's true.

Old
10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
He's not perfect and I think people have to realize that no coach is... His pros far outweigh the negatives.

Him and Jagr changed this team.
I disagree. I believe Renney and Lundqvist has changed this team. Look how the team was constructed in 2005/2006, when Weekes was the #1 goalie and no one even knew who Lundqvist was.

Take a look at our team now. Gradually, year by year, this team has turned more defensively, to be able to gain more advantage from having a franchise goaltender in net.

This year, we lean on Lundqvist to carry the team, while working hard to give him a chance to help the team to the best of his ability, by trying to minimize the number of quality chances he has to face each game. If those number of chances are low, we have a really good chance at winning. And when they are high, we still have a chance to win.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I disagree. I believe Renney and Lundqvist has changed this team. Look how the team was constructed in 2005/2006, when Weekes was the #1 goalie and no one even knew who Lundqvist was.

Take a look at our team now. Gradually, year by year, this team has turned more defensively, to be able to gain more advantage from having a franchise goaltender in net.

This year, we lean on Lundqvist to carry the team, while working hard to give him a chance to help the team to the best of his ability, by trying to minimize the number of quality chances he has to face each game. If those number of chances are low, we have a really good chance at winning. And when they are high, we still have a chance to win.
Its funny how things work out.

The plan all along was to build around a franchise goaltender and bolster the defense in the system...except that franchise goaltender was originally supposed to be Al Montoya.

In any event, the plan in 2004 was to clearly build from the goalmouth out. After a few surprises along the way, we now have a franchise goaltender and a top 5 defense in this league.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Listen I'm not anti-Renney but the bottom line is he needs to do something with the power play. Eventually it is going to cost us games like it did last season, plain and simple that is a cold hard fact.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Pizza

I don't always get what he's doing. Heck, the wardrobe is confusing enough.

The problems with the PP the last two seasons have been particularly vexing.

That said, Renney is doing an outstanding job.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Listen I'm not anti-Renney but the bottom line is he needs to do something with the power play. Eventually it is going to cost us games like it did last season, plain and simple that is a cold hard fact.
So if we lookup your past posts we wont see much complaining about Renney?

Btw, this is the appreciation thread.

Old
10-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
So if we lookup your past posts we wont see much complaining about Renney?

Btw, this is the appreciation thread.
Go ahead I never said I was anti Renney nor have I said fire him, I think I have a write to my opinion if that's ok with you. And yes I know this is the appreciation thread that is why I started out saying I'm not anti Renney. He's done wonders for this organization but I still think he can do better. Nit pick much?

Old
10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Go ahead I never said I was anti Renney nor have I said fire him, I think I have a write to my opinion if that's ok with you. And yes I know this is the appreciation thread that is why I started out saying I'm not anti Renney. He's done wonders for this organization but I still think he can do better. Nit pick much?:help:

Pot say hello to kettle.

Its all good man, glad to see you're still a Renney fan though

Old
10-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:

Pot say hello to kettle.

Its all good man, glad to see you're still a Renney fan though
Yeah I miss those Trottier days lmfao

Old
10-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah I miss those Trottier days lmfao
I somehow got lucky - memory erased those horrible few months, can't even recall any of those games.

Old
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Shake and Bake

Bring back Ron Low!

Old
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Garv23

I think the guy's great and find it rediculous that he's criticized with our record with him behind the bench. Sure sometimes he makes me scratch my head, but then I realize (as should everyone whining and complaining here) if I were the coach we'd be 0-13. I bet most of the haters just don't like him because he doesn't rip his shirt off, scream and empty an M-16 after a bad call.

The man knows the game and is highly respected by his players and staff. I hope he's here for a long long time.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote