HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed: Jessiman traded to Nashville for Future Considerations

Old
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Interesting. Guess we'll see what happens.

Good luck to Jessiman though. Unfortunately he never should have been taken where he was.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Doubtful, but i would love it if we acquire Radulov in this.

Obviously he wants no part in a small market.

He could come to NYC and be with Zherdev and visit Brighton Beach when ever he wants. Large Russian community there.

There are probably questions about his character though.
I would not be shocked if, knowing Radulov has no intention go back to Nashville, the Predators look to move his rights. With Zherdev here, Radulov could have an interest in coming back to the NHL, to NY.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Black Tank

For all our first round busts, we have one of the youngest lineups in the league, a 26 year old Vezina quality goalie, a 22 year old center in Dubinsky who's on nearly a ppg run this season and a 23 year old gamebreaker in Zherdev. Throw 21 year old Staal and 24 year old Girardi in there on D and I'd say we've been very, very lucky. And it's reflected in the standings.

Best of luck to Jessiman and if there's anyone who can "fix" Radulov's problems, it's Renney so there's some aspirational hope in the future considerations.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:38 PM
bmw2004

I doubt it that Radulov would come back to NHL. Here is what I found:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/11033586

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
And Cherneski who was drafted in the first round in 1997.

As far as screwups go, Lundmark along with Brendl. Not only did we waste two first rounders on them, but we actually threw in Marc Savard to get Lundmark. Malhotra and Sundstrom are bad #8 picks too. Cloutier wasn't good. Peter Ferraro.

Basically, we went from Kovalev to Staal before someone became worth the pick we wasted on him.
None of the picks you mention were considered questionable or risky when they were drafted. Jessiman was a stretch from the beginning...But, of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
I don't see the relation to the standings...

Why will the media be pissed? Please elaborate
Bad drafting.

If we sucked as a team this season, I could easily see a couple of articles about what a major screwup it was to pick Jessiman. The only 1 basically in the 1st round that didn't make it. Parise, Getzlaf, Richards and co picked after him.

Its easy to make Slats and co look really bad.

Now, nobody will probably mention his name again. Its all forgotten already.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

On another note, I literally have had dreams where Getzlaf was a Ranger...
Technically, those are called nightmares.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Shadowtron

Is it possible that the ankle injury just ruined him? Renney's is a smart guy, right? I mean, I know Jess was a stretch, but was our scouting deparment (in which Renney had a role) so inept in '03 that we picked the only mutt in a round full of a pedigrees?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Is it possible that the ankle injury just ruined him? Renney's is a smart guy, right? I mean, I know Jess was a stretch, but was our scouting deparment (in which Renney had a role) so inept in '03 that we picked the only mutt in a round full of a pedigrees?
YES!!!!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:44 AM
squishy

Quote:
No doubt Jessiman shouldn't have been drafted where he was, but yes, I do believe that the ankle injury, and then the decision to go pro early, were two major factors that hurt his development.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
I agree unfortunately... I remember someone doing a comparison of how many games he would've played in Canadian Juniors (hundreds) to how many he actually played due to college, the injury, and the decision to go pro (not many). While other players were developing, he wasn't.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I doubt it that Radulov would come back to NHL. Here is what I found:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/11033586
Well, this interview was released a couple days after the letter was sent and publicized.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....810160378/1028

The guy is pretty clearly trying to play both sides on this. If we acquired his rights from Nashville in all of this, I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd still be afraid he'd jump ship if he didn't get the offer he wanted.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
I thought Jessiman was a Sather pick. I'm not sure, but I think Sather didn't give full reigns to the scouting and player development department to make all draft decisions until 2003.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
free0717

Man, Am I bummed. I just like staying the course with our Hi Round Draft Picks. If he busts in two years, so be it.

Look how long it took for Voros to develop. This guy has 10 times the upside.

If Hugh becomes a player in this league, I am going to be very upset.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf View Post
I thought Jessiman was a Sather pick. I'm not sure, but I think Sather didn't give full reigns to the scouting and player development department to make all draft decisions until 2003.
From Renney:

Quote:
"I ask myself what happened with Hugh, because I had scouted him and certainly was part of the process that culminated with the draft selection," Renney said. "I do think that the ankle injury set him back quite a bit.

"I think that Hugh still has a chance to play in the NHL, but he has to commit himself to that end. What he is capable of as a pro is still dormant, but there comes a time when you have to fish or cut bait."
That's what lead to my question. Was it the injury or did Renney and Co. just crap the bed with this pick?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
No doubt Jessiman shouldn't have been drafted where he was, but yes, I do believe that the ankle injury, and then the decision to go pro early, were two major factors that hurt his development.
I wonder if the official un-official decision to end the Shanahan drama spelled the end to the Jessiman experiment. It seemed like Shanahan was the only reason he wasn't dealt earlier.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
ap215

Good luck in Nashville Hugh.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:04 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Buh bye. Sorry but your not needed anymore. Never liked him anyway....just a sled with a helmet.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
94now

Hey, could anyone give here an example when "future considerations" actually had any future? What exactly did or could we get ?.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Hey, could anyone give here an example when "future considerations" actually had any future? What exactly did or could we get ?.
A draft pick. Or first crack at a player the Preds may be dealing at the dealine.

Who knows....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

I would guess it's a pick depending on how many games Jessiman plays with the Preds..........so if he blows a late one and if he plays some games then a better one

regardless not much

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would guess it's a pick depending on how many games Jessiman plays with the Preds..........so if he blows a late one and if he plays some games then a better one

regardless not much

Which is sucky. Because that just means that in the end that draft was a total wash for us and that's hard to swallow anytime you see a guy like Seabrook, Brown, Perry, or Mike Richards hit the ice against us (knowing we could have had any of them instead of Hugh that year). With Jessiman gone, Montoya in Phoenix, and the Cherepanov tragedy we really don't have anything to show for the last 5 years of first round picks- atleast not when it comes to fowards. Makes you that much more thankful for Dubinsky..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf View Post
I thought Jessiman was a Sather pick.
I thionk Jessiman was a Don Maloney & Tom Renney pick. Sather generally doesn't meet the top draft chioices until they are on the podium.

And I would like to point out a bit of revisionist history going on here. When Jessiman was drafted in 2003 there were a ton of people on this board and elsewhere hailing the pick. I know that's not everyone and I also know that some of you who have hung around weren't exactly big enthusiasts (Edge comes to mind) but there were plenty of enthusiastic supporters, many who had him pegged as "their sleeper" and not nearly as many experts as I'm reading here this week. Look, the draft can be a big crapshoot. How many people here were pissed Lundqvist lasted until the 7th round? And what about Girardi?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I thionk Jessiman was a Don Maloney & Tom Renney pick. Sather generally doesn't meet the top draft chioices until they are on the podium.

And I would like to point out a bit of revisionist history going on here. When Jessiman was drafted in 2003 there were a ton of people on this board and elsewhere hailing the pick. I know that's not everyone and I also know that some of you who have hung around weren't exactly big enthusiasts (Edge comes to mind) but there were plenty of enthusiastic supporters, many who had him pegged as "their sleeper" and not nearly as many experts as I'm reading here this week. Look, the draft can be a big crapshoot. How many people here were pissed Lundqvist lasted until the 7th round? And what about Girardi?
True, there was alot of people on here who liked the pick. Edge was a big Getzlaf fan, I championed Parise, Carter & Richards(of course they all went to division rivals). But make no mistake - that first round had alot of attractive players and we took the biggest stretch of them all. As I've said, we took Hugh at a time when we couldnt afford to take that big a risk, our cupboard was bare.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Rangerfan4life90

The reason were pissed is because we took jessiman when parise, richards, perry, getzalef, burns, bergergon, kesler, seabrook, brown, were all on the board. Which is why it hurts more.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote