HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Higgins officially back with Koivu and Tanguay (per CKAC)

Old
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That's a good point about the schedule and probably a valid one. Crappy schedule comes into play again next week with another 4-5 days between games. I guess it could be tough to get timing down when you are only in game situations once or twice a week. Practice can only do so much...

And that type of move with Plekanec move is all I suggest. Right now we have 9 guys that can play at a high level but it's clear that they aren't all doing it at the moment. I don't expect Carbo to make a change yet but even if they are winning and certain players continue to be flat then I would expect him to make a minor tweak.
I think Plekanec is playing fine... he just isn't getting breaks right now...

Here is a guy who had 13 shots on saturday.... was great on the PK yesterday... had one shot hit the crossbar last night, and another where he was robbed by a nice glove save by Harding in the third period. If he keeps playing like this his pts will come.

AKost is the one playing the worst on that line IMO. However, I realize he is just back from injury so I'm willing to give him time.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:15 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The problem I see is that Latendresse is working out well on the Koivu line, and I don’t think he works anywhere else in the lineup.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Crappy schedule comes into play again next week with another 4-5 days between games.
No joke. Thursday night the Rangers will have played 6 more games than us. 6 !!!!! What kind of retarded schedule is that ?

zx81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I think Plekanec is playing fine... he just isn't getting breaks right now...

Here is a guy who had 13 shots on saturday.... was great on the PK yesterday... had one shot hit the crossbar last night, and another where he was robbed by a nice glove save by Harding in the third period. If he keeps playing like this his pts will come.

AKost is the one playing the worst on that line IMO. However, I realize he is just back from injury so I'm willing to give him time.
The posters, WTK amongst others who'd much prefer A.Kost. on the right, have a point, but it really doesn't fit overall right now. He has played well with Kovy. Not everyone does that. As he improved last year, he made his own space, in contrats to ealier in the year when he was like a puupy retrieving the puck for #27. He's a bit off right now, they aren't quite in sync, but it isn't like they've gone on a 2 week dry spell, they just haven't tore it up like we'd hoped.

Keep in mind hat there are certain combos that we've seen that don't work. Higgins can play with any C, and any winger except Kovalev. His north south style wastes what he does well. It just doesn't work,imo. Koivu/Kovalev works short term behind 2 goals, sometimes to kickstart some offense, but long term there isn't enough puck to go around. Koivu wants you to give and go a bit, move to open ice while Kovy wants to set the pace, beat a guy then hit the open man. It's ok in desperation hockey but not long term.

Kovalev can play with Lang but I think that he really appreciates having the speed around him that Plekanec and AK bring. I just don't see any reason to not let guys come together a bit.

I think Tanguay could learn to play with anyone, the brothers could combine with Lang or Pleks, Latendresse might be ok with Lang, but quickness and opening up space could be an issue.

Watch S.Kost., I think he's key down the road to what lines can be juggled. He had a rough go with Kovalev but if he can move around and be effective, it opens up options.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Maxpac

I can't believe somes people would want to disrupt the Latendresse-Koivu-Tanguay, it's been one of the most productive lines of the hole league, in fact, if there is one Higgins-Latendresse, it should be on the pp lines, Higgins has been useless there till now, Tender has better finishing skills, right now 5 on 5 he's one step behind wehen it comes to positioning, but that will come with experience, and i don't think there are better teammates to learn from the Koivu and Tanguay

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
No disrespect towards Lats intended. I like the way he has been playing so far this season. But we still have not seen what a Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay line could do. I'm just curious as to how many people think that Lats is critical to that line or if Higgins couldn't fill the spot as good or possibly better. To put it simply Higgins likes to take shots, and both Koivu and Tanguay like to pass, and I feel that it might not be a bad idea to experiment with that tweak.

And FYI flamers....I'm not saying we should do this right now, since we are winning and that GAS line is performing adequately. However, I do think that if we start to falter and consequently decide to tweak the top 9 that should be the first one tried.

Thoughts?
Latendresse is exactly what Koivu and Tanguay need at the moment. A physical player who can go in the corner, protect the puck and do a few decents passes. Higgins need to learn to pass the puck better if he wants to play with them. Lately, I can't tell the difference between when he passes and when he releases the puck.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Never Wanted Lats on the 2nd Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Last night esp., I thought Lats did a good job of using his size, not to punish but to get body position in puck battles. He will never, ever do anything as creative as Tang or Koivu with it, but both players need a retrieval guy who can finish. Lats 'can' finish but I think that he's falling in love with the skill of his linemates and playing a pretty game, making a pass when he should be banging it home.

He should be getting flak around here for shooting like Ryder did when a guy is open. Lats job is what Ryder's was, get the puck to a creative player, get to the net. I like what I'm seeing for the most part, the line's scoring and you have to think there's a breakout game waiting to happen.

Higgins, only what, 3 games in, has done what he does, takes a strong defensive position and works from his zone out. I like him with Lang so far. He'd score more with Koivu, but Lang seems much more able to play against good offensive C's than I thought. There are games where if they play their matchup even, you're happy because it opens things up for the other 2 lines. S.Kost. isn't dazzling right now, I sense that he's a bit frustrated, but this line can't run n gun against all opposition.

Higgins might convert more passes than Lats will but GL isn't going to play the defensive role that Higgins will. I'd wait a bit before making changes. Let A.Kost. get his legs back. Let's see if Higgins gets the puck cutting in fom the outside where he likes it, see how S.Kost adjusts, etc.

We all have our pet lines, but unless there's an offensive drought, I wouldn't change anything just yet.

Well actually..we are on a bit of a drought. The plenky line has not really dominated in any game this year.

But in all honesty, when we signed Tanguay, I was drooling at a Higgins--koivu---Tanguay line for the following reasons

- Koivu has chemistry with both Higgins and now with Tanquay
- Higgins speed is better suited for Koivu and Tanquay
- Higgins hockey sense is much better then Lats and thus is a better fit with #11 and #13.
- Lats speed is closer to Lang's and Lang is a good setup for him

I am not a believer in Lats, I think we made a mistake by NOT letting him dominate in the AHL to help his confidence. BUT, with all that said, the kid is still young and does have some talent, but his skating and hockey sense in my opinion make his upside a 3rd line player. That is also dependent upon his defensive play in his zone.

Lats got off to a fast start, but he doesn't seem to be on the same page as his current linemates, maybe Carbo is starting to see that too... Lats only played 9 minutes against minny.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Well actually..we are on a bit of a drought. The plenky line has not really dominated in any game this year.

But in all honesty, when we signed Tanguay, I was drooling at a Higgins--koivu---Tanguay line for the following reasons

- Koivu has chemistry with both Higgins and now with Tanquay
- Higgins speed is better suited for Koivu and Tanquay
- Higgins hockey sense is much better then Lats and thus is a better fit with #11 and #13.
- Lats speed is closer to Lang's and Lang is a good setup for him

I am not a believer in Lats, I think we made a mistake by NOT letting him dominate in the AHL to help his confidence. BUT, with all that said, the kid is still young and does have some talent, but his skating and hockey sense in my opinion make his upside a 3rd line player. That is also dependent upon his defensive play in his zone.

Lats got off to a fast start, but he doesn't seem to be on the same page as his current linemates, maybe Carbo is starting to see that too... Lats only played 9 minutes against minny.
It's because of all the penalites in the 2nd period...he especially doesn't see any PK time

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I can't believe somes people would want to disrupt the Latendresse-Koivu-Tanguay, it's been one of the most productive lines of the hole league, in fact, if there is one Higgins-Latendresse, it should be on the pp lines, Higgins has been useless there till now, Tender has better finishing skills, right now 5 on 5 he's one step behind wehen it comes to positioning, but that will come with experience, and i don't think there are better teammates to learn from the Koivu and Tanguay
Everyone says that Tender has good hands... but I really don't see it and i've missed exactly 5 games over the past 3 years. Higgins has a better shot, more hockey sense and is a better play by far.

Give Lats credit for working on his skating and working hard, but bottom line is that he's a 3rd line player IF he responsible in the defensive zone.

MaxPac will pass him on the depth chart either this late year or next year.... You can just see that the kid only need time.

Sorry Lats!

Old
10-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Those 9 minutes are easily explainable...

Lats doesn't play PP or PK.... so with the parade to the penalty box he didn't play much.

As far as not being on the same page.... that line was amazing in their limited 5 on 5 shifts.

Old
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Once again, Higgins has not done anything convincing offensively lately... didn't even had his share of chances. And still some people would break the hottest line in the NHL just to try to launch Higgins?!

There's no indication Higgins would fit Koivu and Tanguay better than Latendresse. As far as I'm concerned, the more Gui stays there, the least likely it is to see Higgins there.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Once again, Higgins has not done anything convincing offensively lately... didn't even had his share of chances. And still some people would break the hottest line in the NHL just to try to launch Higgins?!

There's no indication Higgins would fit Koivu and Tanguay better than Latendresse. As far as I'm concerned, the more Gui stays there, the least likely it is to see Higgins there.
Right out of the Yogi Berra joke book.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Right out of the Yogi Berra joke book.
hmm... not quite. If Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay somehow keep on playing like they are right now, forget it, they're not going to be split up. They're one of the most productive lines in the game right now.

Quote:
Everyone says that Tender has good hands... but I really don't see it and i've missed exactly 5 games over the past 3 years. Higgins has a better shot, more hockey sense and is a better play by far.

Give Lats credit for working on his skating and working hard, but bottom line is that he's a 3rd line player IF he responsible in the defensive zone.

MaxPac will pass him on the depth chart either this late year or next year.... You can just see that the kid only need time.

Sorry Lats!
Higgins may be a better/more complete hockey player right now, but as far as offensive vision is concerned, Latendresse is at least just as good. I'm also sure Lats has better hands and a better shot than Higgins.

Higgins looks good because of its speed/hustle. But as far as pure talent is concerned, Latendresse is ahead. He, IMO, has as good a pair of hands as Sergei Kostitsyn... Sure Sergei has 10 times the vision of Lats, is faster, and is more agile, but as far as deking is concerned, Lats is beaten by really few guys on the team. He's top-3 on the team to protect the puck besides the boards IMO.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-31-2008 at 02:43 PM.
HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
hmm... not quite. If Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay somehow keep on playing like they are right now, forget it, they're not going to be split up. They're one of the most productive lines in the game right now.

Higgins may be a better/more complete hockey player right now, but as far as offensive vision is concerned, Latendresse is at least just as good. I'm also sure Lats has better hands and a better shot than Higgins.

Higgins looks good because of its speed/hustle. But as far as pure talent is concerned, Latendresse is ahead. He, IMO, has as good a pair of hands as Sergei Kostitsyn... Sure Sergei has 10 times the vision of Lats, is faster, and is more agile, but as far as deking is concerned, Lats is beaten by really few guys on the team. He's top-3 on the team to protect the puck besides the boards IMO.

You're sure that Lats has better hands and a better shot than Higgins... really, based on ????

If Lats really does have better hands and a better shot, then why is HE not on the PP???

In regards to dekeing... lats doesn't hold a candle to the top 5 forwards on this team... and if you look carefully during a breakout, he can't make a 5 foot pass to a streaking Koivu or Tanguay. Hey... don't believe me, just look CLOSELY at his passing during the next game.

Do me a favor, the next game, count how many times Lats goes in the corner with an opposing player and count how many times he come out with the puck... it'll be less than 50%... so he's no "power forward" either.

Let's agree to disagree on this and see what happens during the season.

But I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Higgins will outscore Lats this year as well and by a significant margin.

One last point... why is Lats never mentioned in trade rumors but Higgins is constantly... maybe its because the rest of the league see Higgins as a defensively responsible, hard working character play who can get you 30G and 30 A and still has an upside to him.

I wish more HABS fans would see the potential in this guy that many GM's around the league do... thank god Bob does!

Last edited by nyhabsfan: 10-31-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old
10-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
I would like to see:

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

just for fun once.. can it happen?
I think that this combination is overrated.

Kovalev likes to keep the puck, Koivu and Tanguay are both playmakers and like to pass the puck this is why they're playing so well together with Latendresse since they are drawing the play pretty well... if you replace Latendresse with Kovalev both Koivu and Tanguay will not be able to play their game since the puck will be always with Kovy.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You're sure that Lats has better hands and a better shot than Higgins... really, based on ????

If Lats really does have better hands and a better shot, then why is HE not on the PP???

Do me a favor, the next game, count how many times Lats goes in the corner with an opposing player and count how many times he come out with the puck... it'll be less than 50%... so he's no "power forward" either.

Let's agree to disagree on this and see what happens during the season.

But I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Higgins will outscore Lats this year as well and by a significant margin.
As i said before even if you think Higgins is better than Latendresse... that is not a reason to change them.

You don't set up your lines by putting your best three forwards on line 1, forwards 4-6 on line 2... 7-9 on line three etc.

Right now Tanguay, Koivu, Lats is clicking.... so there is no reason to split them up.

Old
10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:

By Yogi Berra, Corey was referring to , yes, of course if Lats is playing with Tanguay and Koivu, Higgins isn't likely to.

A Yogi Berra ism is, well here are a few examples.

No one goes to that restaurant anymore, it's too crowded.

Baseball's 90 % mental, the otyher 20%'s physical.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The Lats vs Higgins thing always has that ironic underbelly given how they have opposite problems. Lats is slow as an elephant, Higgins has tremendous speed but to a fault where it's like he's doing a roller derby crashing in everything and can never finish.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Try anything you want but keep Tanger on his natural wing.Thats where he plays his best.
Yeah, he has been absolutely brutal as a right winger. Take a guy off his natural position and he becomes an absolute albatross. I wish we kept him in Calgary.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
As i said before even if you think Higgins is better than Latendresse... that is not a reason to change them.

You don't set up your lines by putting your best three forwards on line 1, forwards 4-6 on line 2... 7-9 on line three etc.

Right now Tanguay, Koivu, Lats is clicking.... so there is no reason to split them up.

Check the stats for the last 3 games... they have cooled down and unfortunaley, I don't see that changing.

Higgins will be on that line in a week or two.

Old
10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Check the stats for the last 3 games... they have cooled down and unfortunaley, I don't see that changing.

Higgins will be on that line in a week or two.
I said it earlier... they didn't play well in the ducks/florida game... but they were awesome last night..... Dangerous every time they were out there at 5 on 5... and lats made a huge hit that led to a goal.

I don't need to check the stats when i actually WATCH THE GAMES

Old
10-31-2008, 04:11 PM
ReVeuF

I'll switch Lang with Pleckanec instead of touching Koivu line yet.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
I said it earlier... they didn't play well in the ducks/florida game... but they were awesome last night..... Dangerous every time they were out there at 5 on 5... and lats made a huge hit that led to a goal.

I don't need to check the stats when i actually WATCH THE GAMES
Let me also add that any team would seem like they cooled off after playing the Panthers and the Wild. You're never gonna score 5 against those defensive strongholds.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
without wanting to repeat what everyone has been saying:

Guillaume is doing the job with Saku and Alex. He will have his up and down.

No one can be perfect,,

He played his role perfectly against the Wild
this is the problem

guaranteed higgins plays 1 game with tanguay and koivu i call 2 goals

im sick and tired of wining these close games when we should be winning them 5-1, and you ALL know we should be, yeah yeah were 7-1 and its GREAT, but weve played bad for 60% of the games, and 3 have gone to shootouts and a couple more have been 1 goal games

we should be winning all these games by at least 2 goals , if you want to win the god damn cup, you gotta have the killer instinct, we MUST finish teams off, we MUST be ruthless, and imo, higgins with tang and capt make us VERY dangerous, so why the hell arent we trying it..

oh right.. our joke of a coach

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:33 PM
RC51

Switching people around, humm sounds like fun.

Ok put Laraque in nets and if someone scores have Laraque make him pay. Then turn Brisebois into the enforcer.
Lets vote, ok who wants to see Brisebois take on the leagues best fighters?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote