HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stickhandling Weakness

Old
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Stickhandling Weakness

This is a part of my game that's been bugging me. Not my actual skill at stick handling, it's good enough for the beginner level I play at, but rather about 20-30 seconds of continuous stickhandling just kills my right arm (I shoot left). I don't notice it during a game because I'm not going to have the puck that long, but it really hampers my ability to practice stickhandling. I've just started a beginner level power skating program again for the 3rd time, and I'm the only one who seems to have this problem, and it's only with my stickhandling.

It's not the type of pain that'll leave me sore the next day, but rather that burning sensation you get if for example you hold your arms over your head for too long or something similar, except around my bicep area. Any know which muscle group I need to target to improve this, and some simple excercises for it? I'm a physically fit guy, 6' and 190lbs, with good strength from the shoulders down, but i'll admit I have rather wimpy arms.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
difren

vCash: 500
You should probably work these things: grip, forearm, bicep, and tricep.

For my own training, on the days I do my arms, I'll do three sets for each: bicep curls, tricep curls, skull crushers (triceps again), and tricep pull downs. I do other lifting on those days, but that's for the arms. The forearms I'll do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, not on the same day.

Start with lower weights, because if you lift too much doing skull crushers you can actually crush your skull.

That might help.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Just keep stick-handling. Your muscle will grow, and get used to it. Then you'll be a better stick-handler.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
hsing

may be try to be more relax while stick-handling? or do it a bit slower to begin. It seems to me your left arm is too contracted and that cause the pain.

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:23 PM
jaywills1020

try stick handling with a weighted puck for a little while. after a while youll be used to it and the regular puck wont bother you.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Just keep stick-handling. Your muscle will grow, and get used to it. Then you'll be a better stick-handler.
Hockey is a sport that uses funny muscles, get a heavy ball throw on your gloves and go crazy. I like to do it while I watch TV, you'll be a better dangler and loose the fatigue.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
noobman

Do wrist curls and grip exercises.

As for weighted balls/weights on your sticks... there's two schools of thought:

1) These things are good because they help strengthen your muscles while you practice proper technique.
2) These things throw your muscles off-balance, hurting your co-ordination when you go back to a regular stick and puck.

I've used weights on the stick before, and I found that its helped me become a faster stickhandler... though I'm not any craftier with it than I was before. My one-touch-passes have improved tremendously.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Well, I started playing hockey at this time last year with this exact same power skating program, from Oct to Dec. I did it again from Jan to March, and started a beginners intake program for a league in February. Games started around March and I've been playing since then, through the summer as well. So now with a year of hockey continuous hockey under my belt, I went back into the same power skating program and doing the same stickhandling drills, and my arm strength hasn't improved a single bit in this area. I live in an apartment so it's not like I have somewhere I can practice regularly, and actually playing hockey 1-2 times a week doesn't seem to help, so I was more wondering if someone know's specifically what muscle group you're using in your top arm to stickhandle, and maybe a dumbell excercise (something I can do in an apartment) to improve strength.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:34 PM
difren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I live in an apartment so it's not like I have somewhere I can practice regularly, and actually playing hockey 1-2 times a week doesn't seem to help, so I was more wondering if someone know's specifically what muscle group you're using in your top arm to stickhandle, and maybe a dumbell excercise (something I can do in an apartment) to improve strength.
Go back and read what I wrote previously. You're basically working the muscles in your hands, forearms, biceps and triceps. You can google or youtube any of the exercises I listed and probably find a guide on how to do them.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 07:25 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I got a 5kg body bar when Sportchek was having a sale. Find an open space where you can practice your swing without danger of destroying anything (in case you lose your grip). Then just practice your swing (without hitting the ground): slapshot swing, shoveling backhands, etc.

Also good for also making sure you use your body rotation to add power to your shots. Can work your whole body instead of just a few muscle groups.

Just make sure you stretch before hand. And start slow to get used to the weight.

* Not responsible for damaged dry wall, ceilings, patio doors, or big screen TVs.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
For the forearms, take an old stick or a broom handle, a piece of rope about 3 feet long and a weight of your choosing and make the old-school grip trainer. It works the same muscles that you use in stickhandling and it will improve your shot as well.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...gthehands.html

Make sure that when you're using it, you keep your elbows out away from your body -- NO CHEATING!!

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:46 PM
iceman_88888888

like someone above said, relax. you don't need to grip the stick too hard... just hard enough to not drop it. even when you shoot or protect the puck or lean on it, you don't need to grip the stick too hard.
with the exercises, you may even want to get a grip training aid to help with your forearms.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
StrykerB

Stick Weights

Use stick weights. I used them as a kid. Talk about a forearm pump! The only problem is that I can't find them in any hockey stores anymore.

The one I used enabled you to add or remove weights.

Trust me that this is one of the better ways to get stronger and improve your stickhandling. Use it in practice and at home.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
Use stick weights. I used them as a kid. Talk about a forearm pump! The only problem is that I can't find them in any hockey stores anymore.

The one I used enabled you to add or remove weights.

Trust me that this is one of the better ways to get stronger and improve your stickhandling. Use it in practice and at home.
I was thinking of buying ankle weights and strapping them to my stick. My current solution involves 2x2lb dumbbells and a lot of duct-tape.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:26 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The solution is simpler. Lots of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Do it twice a week and keep using progressive overload, e.g. more weight or reps every time. This problem will soon disappear for you.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote