HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sometimes I just don't understand Renney...

Old
10-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Oh yeah I'm just saying next time they lose and it's because of failure on the power play people will change again. Not trying to nit pick here just trying to make a point.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Fletch

Singn'...

perhaps it's not just the coach, but perhaps it's the players.

As for the coaching, I may not have made my point clear. Renney's the head coach. If something is underperforming, it's his job to fix it, not sit back and let his coaches do their thing because he doesn't want to interfere. The PP underperformed significantly last season. Heck, since we're talking about advancing to the playoffs, the Rangers were 1 for 18 in four playoff losses to the Pens. They lose one game by two goals (one an empty netter), and one game in OT, and the other saw a one game deficit made to two in the third (a PP goal somewhere to tie it may've changed the game and the series). The other loss was a one goal game, but they were 1-3 on the PP, can't ask for much more than that. Think a better PP would've helped?

But the point is, if you're the head coach, you're responsible for your team's results. If an area is underperforming, you need to fix it somehow before it becomes a big problem with the team. Think a CEO doesn't yell at his head of sales if he's not getting enough out of his head of sales, and they don't meet to strategize on how to make it better? I assume he speaks with his coaches regularly and they bounce things off each other. Ultimately, Renney is responsible for the PP because he signed off on the guy running it, the personnel, and the way it's run.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Good bounces.

Its all about good bounces. Last couple of years we have had horrible bounces.

Do you know what the difference between off the crossbar and in the net is? About 1/2 an inch.

That's all it takes. 1/2 an inch and you can win or lose a season. We were always on the cusp of greatness. But it took a no-nonsense coach to get the players to keep driving.

No other coach even comes close. cept Lester Patrick.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
The real problem they are facing is that Gomez is a lot like JAgr in that he has to play with certain line mates. He is not plug and play like Dubi is. And he is too old and set in his ways to change his play style to compliment his wingers. Gomez will be traded by next season anyways.
I said this in a different thread. The problem we have is not Drury or Renney...the issue here is Gomez. Gomez is not good enough to be no 1 Center. and too good to be 3rd line center. Drury is untradeable, given his performance, age, money and captaincy. So the expandable guy here is Gomez. Why wait until next year.

Trade him for either Kovy or Gabby, bring Korpedo back on the forth line. Move Betts up to 3rd, he so deserves it. Renney can't make these changes so its no good b****ing about him. It's up to Slats to get the right players.

Renney is getting the best out this team . IMO he is doing a fine job.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Well just say we have the play station line. That's one line (maybe our top line without the biggest contracts on it). If we can't get a second line going that consists of Gomez, in between Naslund and Drury than I give up. I don't understand. Jagr was able to play with Nylander and Dubinsky but not with Gomez. And now Drury can't play on the rw next to Gomez (one of the best assist men in the game. Naslund for that matter too, is a good all around scorer). Solid assist guy and goal scorer. Drury has got be lifting their games as welll. This should be automatic. The playstation line and Gomez, Drury and Naslund line. Renney had them together and must keep them together. If Drury is making 35 million for 5 years and can't score on a line like that then there is seriously something wrong here. As far as the third line. I liked the way Korpokoski looked centering Cally and Prucha during the pre season. They were a relentless, quick, excellent forechecking line. Of course that line was broken up A SAP. The bottom line though is winning. And so far that's what we have been doing.
The problem is that money and talent can rarely trump chemistry. Great lines are not always formed by grouping the pay-checks in a row and saying "Go figure it out." You can't force players to make a connection and produce big numbers. I had a feeling that Zherdev and Dubinsky would be paired up, but I had no idea that Voros would be the other winger. Things like that you just can't anticipate.

I would have liked to see a Naslund - Gomez - Korpikoski line given a shot before they sent Lauri down, but oh well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:24 AM
94now

The team is up to good start due to very favorable schedule. We lost to good teams we beat the weak ones. The only good win under our belt is against Pittsburg, but that was a fluke brought in by Fred Sjostrom. Zherdev simply replaced Jagr (Sather should be credited for that, but he lost Jagr, so it's a draw). You take Zherdev and Lundqvist out and no Renney or Sather would make it less mediocre, very much like it was last season and one prior, and one prior. Same as before Gomez has no wings to play with, Drury is dreadful and only one line is dominant.
So you suggest to keep that dominant line and hope for the best? This is one way of coaching. Renney is paid to toss lines around before Sather understands that we cannot have more then one line with group he's got for Tom.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Fletch

you need to win the games you're supposed to win. That's the sign of a good team. If they lose to the better teams, often teams will make the proper adjustments to avoid losing to that team in the end. The bottom line is, no matter how you shake it, through the first [15?] games, the Rangers are in an excellent position and better than anyone would've asked through this point, even if the Rangers were the Red Wings. I may be critical, but I cannot sit here and say anything negative about what the team's record is or how they won their games. It's like saying Carolina got lucky winning the Stanley Cup because Ward, who may not be very good, got hot. I would love a situation where Colton Orr ends up with 10 goals in the playoffs, which is a fluke, and the Rangers win the Cup as a result. Where do I sign up for consistent fluky goals and fluky wins?

Old
10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I said this in a different thread. The problem we have is not Drury or Renney...the issue here is Gomez. Gomez is not good enough to be no 1 Center. and too good to be 3rd line center. Drury is untradeable, given his performance, age, money and captaincy. So the expandable guy here is Gomez. Why wait until next year.

Trade him for either Kovy or Gabby, bring Korpedo back on the forth line. Move Betts up to 3rd, he so deserves it. Renney can't make these changes so its no good b****ing about him. It's up to Slats to get the right players.

Renney is getting the best out this team . IMO he is doing a fine job.
Are you for real? I agree Gomez is not the prototypical first line center but he's been one of our best and most consistent players game after game. And you want Blair Betts to center the third line? Are you kidding me? People complain about our lack of scoring, Betts has 40 points in 271 career games! Damn man gimme some of that Halloween stuff you're smokin' today.

Old
10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Are you for real? I agree Gomez is not the prototypical first line center but he's been one of our best and most consistent players game after game. And you want Blair Betts to center the third line? Are you kidding me? People complain about our lack of scoring, Betts has 40 points in 271 career games! Damn man gimme some of that Halloween stuff you're smokin' today.
Now I get why you don't like Renney's calm cool demeanor

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Now I get why you don't like Renney's calm cool demeanor
Hey I never said I didn't like his cool demeanor, what is this agenda day on hf boards no wonder I hate people so much.

Old
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not if they keep winning games.

Its the same old same old now and they're 8 games over .500 and on a three game winning streak.
Four game

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so sick of people criticizing Renney.

We're 10-2-1.

We've made the playoffs every year since the lockout after almost a decade of futility.

Players LOVE this man.

He understands his system and what it takes to win in this league.

YES he constantly shuffles line. But watch other teams every night. When offense is struggling EVERY TEAM DOES THIS.

I'm so sick of all this.

I can give you John Muckler's phone number if you want. Or would you prefer Bryan Trottier's?

I must agree. Tom Renney has been one of the better coaches the Rangers have had in decades. He knows the difference between a veteran and a youth and treats them differently in a way to promote self-confidence. This is why Zherdev looked like a bust in Columbus. They had Ken Hitchcock who screams and yells at everyone as though he was the Wayne Gretzky of coaching. Sometimes youth needs to be pat on the back and he does it without hesitation. Good job Tom and keep up the good work. I know I'm 100% behind him.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so sick of people criticizing Renney.

We're 10-2-1.

We've made the playoffs every year since the lockout after almost a decade of futility.

Players LOVE this man.

He understands his system and what it takes to win in this league.

YES he constantly shuffles line. But watch other teams every night. When offense is struggling EVERY TEAM DOES THIS.

I'm so sick of all this.

I can give you John Muckler's phone number if you want. Or would you prefer Bryan Trottier's?

How about Pat Burns'?

Nah I agree with everything you said. These guys play hard for Renney. The game against Columbus was a great example.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I may be critical, but I cannot sit here and say anything negative about what the team's record is or how they won their games.
Why not? My point was about Renney vs. Sather. Who should be prased for success.
Neither one, we are overachievers. Do I have problem with overachieving? Nooooo, are you kidding? But don't place this team in SC finals. Just look at standings table and smile. That's it.

Old
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why not? My point was about Renney vs. Sather. Who should be prased for success.
Neither one, we are overachievers. Do I have problem with overachieving? Nooooo, are you kidding? But don't place this team in SC finals. Just look at standings table and smile. That's it.
Renney and Sather are just below Lundqvist and Jagr when it comes to deserving credit for the rejuvination of this franchise. Lets see you try to spin this one.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Fletch

what I should say is that the performance up to right now (meaning the record, and not how they got there) is something I cannot complain about. Could I say that I'm not ecstatic about certain areas which I think need improvement? Absolutely. Do I suscribe to the notion that if it ain't broke don't fix it? Absolutely not since there's always room for improvement. Do I see issues if Lundqvist isn't playing like he has been playing? Absolutely. Hopefully that's more clear.

Old
10-31-2008, 03:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Renney and Sather are just below Lundqvist and Jagr when it comes to deserving credit for the rejuvination of this franchise. Lets see you try to spin this one.
Jagr
Lundqvist
Renney
Avery
Sather
Betts
Malik
Roszival

Old
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
DontStepanMe

94... I think that both Nylander and Straka should be above Avery. Especially Nylander.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Guys we won't be trading Gomez and we shouldn't.

Gomez has been doing real well considering the linemates he has been giving. He is IMO a true 1st line center. Get him a Gabby or Kovy and you'll see

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post

Gomez has been doing real well considering the linemates he has been giving. He is IMO a true 1st line center. Get him a Gabby or Kovy and you'll see
You make a great point and then a terrible point. If Gomez was a true No. 1 center, he wouldn't need a kovalchuk or gaborik to produce.

Again, I hate the fact that gomez is being wasted with the inept Dawes, but hey, we're 10-2-1, something is working.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post

We gave him Jagr, no good.
We have him Zherdev, no good.
Drury and Naslund, no good.

What else you going to do to get a 8 million dollar player playing like a 1st line center? I'm tired of the excuses about Gomez, thats all they are excuses. The guy is paid that like he should be making the players around him better, not need better players around him to bring his game up. His linemates in NJ weren't all that much better than here was it? He found good chemistry with Gionta there and now I think the winger he plays best with here is Dawes..........hmmmmm cowinkydink?

Back OT in the thread:
Renney is messing with the lines because we are not scoring except whatever line Zherdev happens to be on. I feel he is double shifting Z and moving him around to different lines to spread out the offense and maybe Z can get Dawes, Prucha, Fritsche, ect really going offensively. I think even Sam lastnight said Tom is looking for another scorer in the lineup aside from Z. If it wasn't for Zherdev, Dubinsky, and Hank our record would be .500!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I don't see any reason why a line that is producing would need to be broken up in the first place. Didn't it seem like both Dubinsky's game and Voros's game went up a few notches when Renney finally went back to the Play Station line! That line has been clicking since the get go. Leave it alone!! Simple! No need to mess around by experimenting with Fritche or whoever else. To me there's no doubt about it. That's our number one line. The Gomez, Callahan, and Dawes line isn't showing me much at all. I see some chemistry between Drury and Naslund so I think Renney should go back to putting Gomez in the middle of those two.
As far a Prucha goes. This guy belongs on the third line everyday until he stops flying around the rink like a torpedo. I'm so tired of watching Prucha play his but off for one or two games in a row and then be rewarded by sitting. It's almost like he's probably used to this routine. How does this get anyone's confidence going. I didn't expect it, but I really liked what I saw in the pre season with that third line of Korpokoski, Callahan and Prucha. The fore checking was unbelievable.
yes, because just because they click well, doesnt mean they wont click better with anyone else. aaron voros is great and all, but did you really predict he would be scoring as many goals as he did? no, you probably didn't. but who did you think would? naslund right? or maybe if he was centered by gomez, a veteran playmaker. we're 10-2-1 for a reason, and a good percentage of it is attributed to the experimentation renney is taking advantage of early in the season. or maybe would you rather him start tinkering with lines upon the playoff stretch?

it's mind boggling why you're not the head coach of some team out there?

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Don't see any Renney detractors saying that Renney shouldn't be the coach of this team, but I'm curious. Are there any posters who have a name in mind who they think would do a better job or is a better coaching fit for this team??

His preparation is second to none. His bench coaching is average. But at the end of the day this guy could coach my team anyday.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
NYROrtsFan

Best winger he plays with imo is Callahan. Just a simple guy with a good release on a shot, including the speed to get down the ice on rushes. That is all Gomez needs. Guys like Callahan and Prucha.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
WheresBarnaby

Renney has turned the franchise around. Then man deserves nothing but respect.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote