HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
10-31-2008, 04:16 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Two things:

PhilParent: Do you check under your bed at night?

Beaker: Why did you edit McPhees post? Did he say a cuss word like 'geewillickers' or ?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post

Beaker: Why did you edit McPhees post? Did he say a cuss word like 'geewillickers' or ?
Didn't edit anything McPhee typed... I merged the double posts into one larger post.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Since hearing Oleg Petrov's story, I believe the Russian mafia is indeed omnipresent in Russian hockey. Because if they target little potatoes like Oleg Petrov, why wouldn't they target big wigs?

Anybody remembers this report on Russian hockey that showed this "influential" person holding a meeting with all those great hockey players, hell, almost ALL great Russian hockey players at ONCE?
All that stuff happened in the 'wild' 1990's. Yes, dangerous incidents DID happen; however, a lot of details were blown out of proportion by the western media....it made for entertaining stories. Life isn't like that anymore.

Seriously, bringing the 'mafia' into a discussion nowadays is about as ridiculous as Europeans bringing up the Canadian junior hockey sex abuse scandals of 1990s.

Let's move into the 21 century shall we?

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Anyone else see the TSN article of Valentenko's suspension? Is it a cover up?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Anyone else see the TSN article of Valentenko's suspension? Is it a cover up?
we've discussed it for two pages....

The suspension is bookkeeping they have to suspend him, he left the team.

You think the habs are gonna pay him his bulldogs salary while he is playing for Dynamo??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Since hearing Oleg Petrov's story, I believe the Russian mafia is indeed omnipresent in Russian hockey. Because if they target little potatoes like Oleg Petrov, why wouldn't they target big wigs?

Anybody remembers this report on Russian hockey that showed this "influential" person holding a meeting with all those great hockey players, hell, almost ALL great Russian hockey players at ONCE?
Yeah i think it's Abramnovich or something like that..he has a datcha the size of a mall near moscow.

About Valentenko i hope we see him again.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
When you signed a contract, you respect it ! Russian players don't seem to knoiw the meaning of the word 'contract" - Yahin and Radulov are two prime examples. Samsonov just sit on his littloe fat ass as soon as he signs.
Exactly. Very Russian thing to do. No North American would ever do something so heinous. Chris Pronger signing in Edmonton and then wanting a trade after, what, a year? Poor innocent man. Dany Heatley asking to be traded after his accident which cost Snyder his life? Perfectly acceptable. Young kid half way around the world from his family making a fraction of what the previous examples make? Why, the ungrateful little swine, how dare he put his family first.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Exactly. Very Russian thing to do. No North American would ever do something so heinous. Chris Pronger signing in Edmonton and then wanting a trade after, what, a year? Poor innocent man. Dany Heatley asking to be traded after his accident which cost Snyder his life? Perfectly acceptable. Young kid half way around the world from his family making a fraction of what the previous examples make? Why, the ungrateful little swine, how dare he put his family first.
HEY!!! Don't change the focus. Rotten Russians!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Two things:

PhilParent: Do you check under your bed at night?

I often channel thoughts thru Beaker. He doesn't even realize when he's typing that he's doing my bidding. Yes, I can do that.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
The need to believe that something stinks is kind of interesting, don't you think ?

Old
10-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Nitehowl

found this on Tank

"I am at a hairdresser right now," – Valentenko said after he picked up the phone. "My hair got too long when I was in America. But here is a new club, a new image. I decided that I need to look "cleaner."

Why did you decide to come back to Russia in the middle of the season?

"Honestly, I just wanted to live closer to my family. Montreal let me go without a problem, they were very considerate. Perhaps I will be back there next year."

How long is your contract with Dynamo for?

"Until the end of the season."

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Hab-a-maniac

It's too bad about Valatenko, but I guess this is an even bigger motivation for teams not to draft Russians unless they're surefire future stars. I sure hope Emelin comes over next season and makes the team out of camp and becomes Markov Pt. 2. It would make up for all the d-men we've lost to waivers, overseas contracts and other extenuating circumstances (Hainsey, Cote, Beauchemin come to mind).

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:31 PM
All-Star

As a human being, I understand and respect his decision.

As a Habs fan, I'm ****ing pissed.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:34 PM
tinyzombies

He needs the experience anyway. Hopefully he comes back to us.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
"Honestly, I just wanted to live closer to my family. Montreal let me go without a problem, they were very considerate. Perhaps I will be back there next year."
Please read over, and over, and over through your head.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:36 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Fist of all, Pronger was TRADED. So, Lowe obtained someone for him.

Dany Heatley was psychologically shaken by the accident. Staying in Atlanta was not an option. He was TRADED to Ottawa for Hossa. Not too shabby...

Valentenko's family WAS POOR before he left for North America. Why did not he signed with a Russian team before last year , if he is so family oriented ? Nobody forced him to go to Hamilton and sign an AHL contract.

Grabovski missed the plane on purpose last year because Carbo did not play him. That"s the RIGHT attitude.

So, spare me your bleeding heart.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:37 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Please read over, and over, and over through your head.
PERHAPS... NEVER !

Old
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Fist of all, Pronger was TRADED. So, Lowe obtained someone for him.

Dany Heatley was psychologically shaken by the accident. Staying in Atlanta was not an option. He was TRADED to Ottawa for Hossa. Not too shabby...

Valentenko's family WAS POOR before he left for North America. Why did not he signed with a Russian team before last year , if he is so family oriented ? Nobody forced him to go to Hamilton and sign an AHL contract.

Grabovski missed the plane on purpose last year because Carbo did not play him. That"s the RIGHT attitude.

So, spare me your bleeding heart.
How 'bout Malkin and the others that left Russia to play in the NHL, ignoring signed contracts, with the help of NHL teams ? That's ok ?

Old
10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
How 'bout Malkin and the others that left Russia to play in the NHL, ignoring signed contracts, with the help of NHL teams ? That's ok ?
Malkin, and who else ? Gimme names. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, not that many.

Emelin also was about to sign a contract with the Habs. And you know what happened

Old
10-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Lets not forget Ken Dryden not reporting to Bruins camp, forcing them to trade him, then sitting out an entire year because he felt the Habs lowballed him. We ended up getting knocked off by the New York Rangers, but its okay, because it wasn't Vlatisav Tretiak holding out

Old
10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

wow, just wow

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254335&l...=headlines_nhl

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Malkin, and who else ? Gimme names. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, not that many.

Emelin also was about to sign a contract with the Habs. And you know what happened
I read of 3 so far this year. The latest was a guy named Vasyunov, though I may be off on the spelling. I could look up the other 2 but I've seen them mentionned, possibly earlier in this thread as a reason that the KHL was signing established players.

Regarding Emelin, we know what Emelin's Canadian agent, Todd Diamond reported, that Emelin's Russian agent negotiated a deal for him while Diamond was in good faith doing the same with Mtl.

It's a difficult situation for NHL teams as they can sign Russian players to play for them, but it's very difficult to develop them in the AHL. If I was in their situation, looking at a 1000% increase in take home pay, in a profession that can end quickly, I'd have a hard time walking away from the money. Compare it to NCAA players leaving after a sophomore year, or MaxPac walking out on his scholarship after committing to his team.

Yeah, he signed a contract. He signed it in a foreign country at 21 years old, and decided to leave for a better opportunity. I don't think we need the UN to be involved here. Damn Russians, embracing capitalism.

Old
10-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
That's actually very admirable. I just hope he is supporting his family for the right reasons. I really didn't like hearing how his dad signed the contract.

Hopefully this helps some people reflect on their previous comments and realize not to jump the gun based on little information. We all knew it seemed a little sketchy for a guy who worked so hard to fit into the team to just cut and run for a bigger cheque, "just because".

Old
10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
That's actually very admirable. I just hope he is supporting his family for the right reasons. I really didn't like hearing how his dad signed the contract.

Hopefully this helps some people reflect on their previous comments and realize not to jump the gun based on little information. We all knew it seemed a little sketchy for a guy who worked so hard to fit into the team to just cut and run for a bigger cheque, "just because".
We tend to get righteous about guys following the cash, but if a guy blows out a knee and loses that step, as well meaning as we like to think our favourite team is, he's out of luck. Like I said about the NCAA, when you make your living with your physical gifts, you have to cash in. This isn't a player giving a discount and taking 4M instad of 6. I don't know if his Dad's a mini David Frost or the male Mother Theresa but you can't blame a 21 year old for taking short term cash when it's there.

Old
10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

He'll be back.

I hope he'll be back, I'm really excited to see what he can do.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote