HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators @ Florida Panthers | October 30th 2008, 7:30PM |

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
  #426
ginc
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
They did exactly what they needed to do on that final PP - it was essentially a "defensive" powerplay to keep possession in Florida's zone and kill time.

ginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:15 PM
  #427
KingKarlsson
 
KingKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Line combos were great tonight. Hartsburg can still put the pizza line back together when needed, but I think Vermette is fitting really well beside Heatley and Spezza.

Both teams started off slow, but Ottawa managed to have several strong stretches and owned the third period. It's been such a long time since we've seen this team squeeze the throat of the opposition in the neutral/defensive zone, and we saw it tonight. Vokoun did a great job of absorbing the puck so the Senators had limited rebound chances, but you could see the majority of play was tilted in Ottawa's direction. The final PP, though the Senators failed to score, was textbook movement and cycling. Tonight was an important victory, and though it doesn't look particularly notable on the highlight reel or score sheet, Ottawa needs to be able to compete in the tight defensive games with limited time and space. Now, they are on a winning streak and can go into Tampa with a bit of confidence in their offensive game, defensive game, goaltending, and special teams. Over the past two games they have received contributions for all parts of their lineup. It's only two games and it's important not to get ahead of ourselves, but the team had to start somewhere and they are showing good progress after a rough week.

It was certainly a relief to see Kelly pot goal, especially in the hard-working manner that he did.
I completely agree, especially about the line combos. Vermette plays his best hockey with players with offensive instincts. Even though they've failed to score, I think Foligno - Fisher - Alfie have created some chances and looked good out there. That third line is awesome, not much more you can say. And the fourth line is good enough defensively that you could probably play it as a third line and not be out of place. Donovan and McAmmond also have the net presence to finish off Winchester's passes into the slot.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
  #428
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
Well I love to watch him play, but if he's only going to get 5 min of ice time, sending him down might be better for him.
I think it's just a matter or time for Winchester to get comfortable in the NHL. I love the way he protects along the boards, he just needs to start getting the puck on net as much as possible.

I know what you mean though, hopefully he can see a little more ice than he has.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
  #429
Pangu
Registered User
 
Pangu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,537
vCash: 500
I missed the game because I went to the Argos-Riders game (You SUCK Joseph!). Nice to see both of my teams pulling off wins tonight though.

And obviously, while we should keep our perspective on Auld, its not like we have too many other options but to hope that one of our goalie's can hold the fort. Nothing wrong with getting our hopes up a bit at his good play. What is being a fan, without risking the obliveration of high hopes?

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
  #430
MuffinMan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
I don't think Auld should be allowed to leave the net to play the puck anymore.

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
  #431
Senateurs
Let's win it all
 
Senateurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Auld was decent. He looked lost a couple of times again. Too much credit to the goaltending IMO. The big difference was the defence.

Our team defence can make goalies look much better than they are. We did it with Emery, we did it with Gerber, we are doing it with Auld.
They did play good in front of him but I think it goes hand in hand with goaltending. Auld shows self-assurance, poise, he's swallowing pucks and directing rebounds in safe areas. He makes the job easier for his defensmen and in return they play with confidence and are not afraid to take mistakes which usually means they are not making a lot of them.

It's all about confidence with goaltending and it spreads through the roster and reflect in their attitude in the ice.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
  #432
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 1967
Yeah, Auld leaves the net open for too many chances.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:39 PM
  #433
Hutz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
I don't think Auld should be allowed to leave the net to play the puck anymore.
yeah, jeez, that one with like 30 seconds left, I thought that was a sure goal

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:38 AM
  #434
RTWAP*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thug Life
Country: US Virgin Islands
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Winchester won't be send down, he's on a one-way deal.
And he probably has to go through waivers, and he'd probably be picked up by someone else.

We all need to face the fact that we're stuck with him.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
  #435
Caeldan
Moderator
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
And he probably has to go through waivers, and he'd probably be picked up by someone else.

We all need to face the fact that we're stuck with him.
I think we need IB to weigh in on Winchester. Because this has come up a couple times - and based on the general rules of his FAQ it would seem Winchester is waiver exempt until he's got 60 games played or 2 years from his first contract (so the end of this season).

That said, his one-way contract means he gets paid regardless of where he is and it seems to be organization policy to not pay NHL money to guys in the AHL.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:06 AM
  #436
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Monaco
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
Nice win.

This team is coming around and the nervous Nellie's who panicked are once again looking like fools.
They should listen to people who watched water pass underneath bridges... You can't judge a team on a 5 games stretch... Still, we dunno what will happen exactly, but there is no reason to panick or to plan a parade...


Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Line combos were great tonight. Hartsburg can still put the pizza line back together when needed, but I think Vermette is fitting really well beside Heatley and Spezza.

Both teams started off slow, but Ottawa managed to have several strong stretches and owned the third period. It's been such a long time since we've seen this team squeeze the throat of the opposition in the neutral/defensive zone, and we saw it tonight. Vokoun did a great job of absorbing the puck so the Senators had limited rebound chances, but you could see the majority of play was tilted in Ottawa's direction. The final PP, though the Senators failed to score, was textbook movement and cycling. Tonight was an important victory, and though it doesn't look particularly notable on the highlight reel or score sheet, Ottawa needs to be able to compete in the tight defensive games with limited time and space. Now, they are on a winning streak and can go into Tampa with a bit of confidence in their offensive game, defensive game, goaltending, and special teams. Over the past two games they have received contributions for all parts of their lineup. It's only two games and it's important not to get ahead of ourselves, but the team had to start somewhere and they are showing good progress after a rough week.

It was certainly a relief to see Kelly pot goal, especially in the hard-working manner that he did.
Great post Moz. I'm with you on this one even if i could only see the 1st period... Nice to see they can build a defensive system around a goalie they can trust...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
They did play good in front of him but I think it goes hand in hand with goaltending. Auld shows self-assurance, poise, he's swallowing pucks and directing rebounds in safe areas. He makes the job easier for his defensmen and in return they play with confidence and are not afraid to take mistakes which usually means they are not making a lot of them.

It's all about confidence with goaltending and it spreads through the roster and reflect in their attitude in the ice.
I think people who don't play hockey can't understand that...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.