HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev zzzzzz

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2008, 06:24 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Kovalev zzzzzz

kinda of a slow start from him. 6 points in 9 games, 2 on the pp for the reigning powerplay leader last season and a -1.

do the numbers reflect the play? is he skating or floating? or both. (and yes for the record, he is amazing)

Old
11-01-2008, 06:29 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

He's not the Kovy from last year and the chemistry with his linemates has not been there...but he'll pot a few goals and the floodgates will open.

It would help if Plekanec and AK46 got going too.

But I'm confident that its just a matter of a few more games; a good way to break out would be against the Isles tonight.

Old
11-01-2008, 07:20 AM
ander

I thought I sa a report on RDS, that Kovalev has as much points this year has he had last year after 9 games.

Old
11-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Mike8

He's had a couple of tough games, but he's battled through them. He's working hard. Chemistry hasn't been there yet.

Old
11-01-2008, 08:18 AM
HabsoluteFate

so he's on pace for 62 points....
his first full season in montreal he had 69...

still early for him. the goal he scored this week was pure Kovalev
I think part of the problem is things are not gelling for anyone on his line right now

As crazy as it sounds perhaps they should try splitting up the Koivu-Tanguay-Latendresse line just for a game to try and get the other guys going

Old
11-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Roulin

IMO, his luck has just come back down to earth. He's not hitting the net just inside the post like he was last year.

Here's his shot % since the lockout:

05-06:11.2
06-07:9.1
07-08:15.2
08-09:11.5

He was good last year, but he was also lucky. Kovy was picking corners like crazy. He is right on pace with his shots per game from last year (2.9 this year, 2.8 last).

AKost is shooting 8.2%, Plek is shooting 3.2%. This will improve. Plekanec rang what looked like a sure goal off the crossbar against the Wild. As their goals go up, so will Kovy's assists.

Kovy looks smooth, his tools look like they're all there, as opposed to 06-07 when his skating didn't look right. He'll be fine, just probably not as productive as last year.

Old
11-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
He isn't using his line mates as well as last year. Slowly but surely it's reflecting in his confidence. I still haven't seen kovalev control the play like he did last year, but i think some credit has also got to be given to Pleks and Kostitsyn as they are also in a slump. I think once the whole line realizes they have to get back to using each other like last year, we will see more goals. Until then the line will strugle imo.

Old
11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
kinda of a slow start from him. 6 points in 9 games, 2 on the pp for the reigning powerplay leader last season and a -1.

do the numbers reflect the play? is he skating or floating? or both. (and yes for the record, he is amazing)
He's on the same start as last year. Not to worry, he'll be just fine. Once A. Kost and Plekanec start burring thier chances it will change things!.

GO Habs

Old
11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
theboss*

I hope Andrei Kostitsyn starts to light up the lamp.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Pascal

His line didn't start clicking til december last yr.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:07 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

He's working very hard to Plekanec is throwing the puck everywhere without looking. He lost all confidence and hockey is a mental game. Ask any winger, when you're center is lost, all your line is lost. The line will bounce back, no worries.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:08 AM
shutehinside

kovalev is playing great. He's creating opportunities and has hit the post I don't know how many times. His line mates aren't helping either but it's not for lack of effort. He's playing just as well as he did last year and the points will start to come soon.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:16 AM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO, his luck has just come back down to earth. He's not hitting the net just inside the post like he was last year.

He was good last year, but he was also lucky. Kovy was picking corners like crazy. He is right on pace with his shots per game from last year (2.9 this year, 2.8 last).

AKost is shooting 8.2%, Plek is shooting 3.2%. This will improve. Plekanec rang what looked like a sure goal off the crossbar against the Wild. As their goals go up, so will Kovy's assists.

Kovy looks smooth, his tools look like they're all there, as opposed to 06-07 when his skating didn't look right. He'll be fine, just probably not as productive as last year.

How are you lucky if you pick the corner?

Old
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Plekanec is the main problem on that line right now, also the fact they never seem to give Andrei the puck is a clear problem, he is probably the 2nd best forward on our team *not named Kovalev* for puck posession, so giving him the puck and allowing him to break out with it will give us some other options that teams probably haven't keyed in on yet (they double on on Kovalev whenever given the opportunity)

To me, if this doesn't work, you have to try putting Tanguay with Plekanec & Kovalev, and put Andrei on the right side of Saku.. This way Tanguay is more effective in his natural position, and same for Andrei. It's glaringly obvious Andrei is ineffective at carrying the puck on the left side, he's LOST. When he starts a rush, he ALWAYS comes from the right side.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:32 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

the entire line is off to a slow start, they'll pick it up soon.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
How are you lucky if you pick the corner?
Because the difference between picking the corner and hitting the post is tiny. Just ask 06-07 Kovalev, who hit post after post. His shot didn't get that much more accurate in 07-08. I chalk up that part of his improved production to luck.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Cupmonger

yea because 6 points in 9 games is awful

hockey fans

Old
11-01-2008, 10:05 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

I don't see how six points in nine games is a slow start.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

What does luck have to do with picking corners? Are you actually suggesting that "luck" adjusted his shot a half inch so the pucks went in instead of hitting the post?

Really? You can't be serious with this.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Next Best Thing*

He was playing out of his mind last year, im sure he's still a bit tired and the mental isn't quite there yet. Give him 5 more games or so, and you will see his intensity level climb steadily. Either that or frustration.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
yea because 6 points in 9 games is awful

hockey fans
Its awful that Ponikorovsky has more though.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Its awful that Ponikorovsky has more though.
I see what you mean lol. But it's just 9 games. And 6 points in 9 games is good. A lot of people are expecting more like, 20 points in 9 games for every player... That's just ridiculous. Kind of how I heard on rds that they should do something with lats and higgy, cause one has 2 passes in 5 games and the ther has nothing in 2 games... Truly pathetic. Point is, 6 points in 9 games is fine, we've seen kovy play well, and hit a few posts. Just wait till the steam machine has truly set it's rhythm, have pleks play with less bad luck, A.kost play a bit less shaky (might just be me, but I think he's afraid of getting hit, that's how I see him on ice, then again I didn't see the last game). Kovy is fine, and he'll be better as soon as his line mates kick in.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
What does luck have to do with picking corners? Are you actually suggesting that "luck" adjusted his shot a half inch so the pucks went in instead of hitting the post?

Really? You can't be serious with this.
Are you putting luck in quotation marks because you don't believe it exists in hockey? Hockey is a chaotic sport, with tons of luck involved. Finding aberrations in shooting % is a tried and true method of isolating luck's influence.

Picking corners is part of Kovalev's game, it's the way he shoots. You never see him hit the goalie's chest. This can be an effective method, especially in situations like penalty shots, breakaways, situations where the shooter has a lot of time. In most actual game situations, it's a style of play that leaves a lot up to luck. Does he hit that perfect spot, or does his shot caroom off the post or miss the net, or clip the goalie's shoulder? Given a split second, the results will vary wildly.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:55 AM
LesCanadiens

Ok...this is your second "what's wrong with Kovalev" thread this (early) season....I realize it hurts your fantasy pool...but what? Are we going to see these threads every time Kovy burps?

Old
11-01-2008, 10:55 AM
NHLcrazy

The problem is not Kovy...it's AKost injury and the fact that Plekanec has been brutal so far this year. The guy can't do everything.

Closed Thread