HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you miss Mark Streit?

View Poll Results: Do you miss Mark Streit?
Yes 76 30.89%
No 88 35.77%
Meh... 82 33.33%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2008, 12:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
From what I've been reading from Islander fans. He seems like a completely different player than what he was with the Habs.

He plays 25+ minutes per game and is matched up against the other teams top players. While still being able to put up points.

While I won't miss how he played on defense for us. But if what these Islander fans are saying is true. Then yes, I'm missing Streit, especially after he was quoted as saying this.

"If they had offered me $2 million per year for three years in the middle of the season," he said Friday, "I probably would have signed and thought nothing about it."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,2930887.story
I think Streit really wanted to be a Canadien, but then the Islanders just threw so much money at him and are letting him play 27 minutes a night in the position he wanted. You can't blame him for either.

People don't realize that Streit only had about 50 career NHL games (maybe a few more or less) on defense with us. He had a lot of experience outside the AHL but not too much NA experience.. he very well could of still been getting used to the rinks, etc.

He was pretty much a late 20's rookie.. and he was getting better each and every year. I see no reason why that wouldn't continue into this year.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Not particularly. I liked Streit on D more than most here, but I could admit under strong forechecking he'd suffer a bit. That said, I'd pair him up with a guy like Hamrlik; someone who can move the puck, will support his partner, and can handle some of the more physical affairs.

That said, Streit would almost have to be partnered with Hamrlik, and he'd be a question mark in the playoffs. Potentially a liability. Flip side is that I don't think the team has a liability for the playoffs. If O'Byrne, who I'm not as fond of as most here, does not progress, then the team will acquire a solid second pairing defenseman for the stretch run.

Bottom-line: Streit was a mercenary on the Habs. Great on the PP. Not just his shot, but his puck movement, his skating and his whole offensive talent was useful. Tanguay's better at everything other than Streit's shot, but the shot is what's needed most, and Tanguay could have been utilized in another capacity.

5 on 5, though, where does Streit play? Either he holds O'Byrne back, or he changes the dynamics of the grind line.

... He was good as a forward, but he didn't like playing that role, and he was a little non-descript as a forward. Fast, yes, okay puck distributor, willing to play the body, good on the forecheck, could go to the net, could cycle ... a more solid, talented version of Dackell, perhaps. I don't see a line he particularly fits on.

In the end, Streit would help Montreal in certain respects, but he'd be a mercenary type of player on a team that should no longer have a need for those square pegs. Good player, good person, but not a player for Montreal right now unfortunately.

He's one of few that I'm genuinely very happy to see succeeding elsewhere.

I support Gainey and like his acquisitions of Tanguay and Laraque. Lang is a bit expensive for his role but he's better than Smoke and he won't be here long-term at that salary.

However, I feel it was a mistake for Bob not to sign Streit to an extension in early 2008 when his agent said he was looking for $2.5M per year for 2-3 years. Indeed, Mark recently said he WOULD HAVE SIGNED for $2M.

60+ point players don't grow on trees. 60+ point players for $2M should be signed.

I guess I wouldn't have gone for 5 years at $4.1M, but I do miss what we could EASILY have had.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 11-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I miss Streit at 600K

So I say meh.
Same here, 600k was a bargain, today's pricetag we can't afford.

That, plus I miss Mark Streit the winger, you know, the job he didn't want this year... We have no room for him on D, we need small salaries like Gorges and O'Byrne. Dandy and Bouillon willl aso be replaced by young, cheap talents sooner or later.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think Streit really wanted to be a Canadien, but then the Islanders just threw so much money at him and are letting him play 27 minutes a night in the position he wanted. You can't blame him for either.

People don't realize that Streit only had about 50 career NHL games (maybe a few more or less) on defense with us. He had a lot of experience outside the AHL but not too much NA experience.. he very well could of still been getting used to the rinks, etc.

He was pretty much a late 20's rookie.. and he was getting better each and every year. I see no reason why that wouldn't continue into this year.
It's not that I didn't think he could improve. I'm just surprised by what I've been hearing/reading how quickly he has improved since he left the Habs.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:48 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Nope, his play on the point in the play-offs was a shameful display. How many breakaways shorthanded did Price have to save?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Burty34

As a Habs fan I would have loved him to stay...but with the salary cap you can't be expected to fork out the money and years he was expected, and got, to him when you have more important players to the team that you need to lock up. Obviously I am talking about this upcoming year and his salary would have created a lot more problems trying to fit our top guys in! The Habs assessed the situation and made the right choice.

Burty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
LyleOdelein

Streit was a good player and a great personality on the Habs, but I'm not too disappoint that he left. With his great season last year, he priced himself out of Montreal. In a perfect world, he would have stayed on the Habs, and taken the spot occupied by Breezer now. But that was not a possibility whatsoever, given the Habs salary structure and team depth. I am very happy that he's having early success on the Isles, and getting to play full minutes as a defenceman (that is what he wanted). As long as he doesn't become a Hab killer, I will be extremely pleased with how things worked out for Mark, without hurting the Habs.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
BaseballCoach

A typical reaction to this thread has been:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty34 View Post
As a Habs fan I would have loved him to stay...but with the salary cap you can't be expected to fork out the money and years he was expected, and got, to him when you have more important players to the team that you need to lock up. Obviously I am talking about this upcoming year and his salary would have created a lot more problems trying to fit our top guys in! The Habs assessed the situation and made the right choice.
Mass cognitive dissonance, I suspect.

Mark Streit has said he would have signed for 3 years at $2M.

We should have made him that offer, is it really so HARD to admit that?

Pieces of cardboard make $2M these days, sheesh!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:49 PM
puckeater

Streit should cut Kovy and Gainey royalty cheques. Without Gainey signing him and Kovy drawing players to the side boards for him he'd have gone back to Switzerland by now.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
Streit should cut Kovy and Gainey royalty cheques. Without Gainey signing him and Kovy drawing players to the side boards for him he'd have gone back to Switzerland by now.
Right.. because being ranked 4th in ES scoring was something Kovalev was responsible for.

Streit improved each and every year. He was a dominant european player and the captain of his country.

On a side note, we should probably send the league a message asking them why Kovalev is playing for the Islanders as well, because if he's not, those Streit points must be fake.

Old
11-01-2008, 02:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

yeah he was great... but we couldn't affroid him at this salary so ... meh

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
A typical reaction to this thread has been:

Mass cognitive dissonance, I suspect.

Mark Streit has said he would have signed for 3 years at $2M.

We should have made him that offer, is it really so HARD to admit that?

Pieces of cardboard make $2M these days, sheesh!
Pass. I like Streit, but I don't take him on this team at $2m. Or even $1m.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
mcphee

I think that we fall into h etrap of worrying that we can't score he same way as the last 2 years, ie one timers from the right side, at least not as often, don't have the boost of unexpected offense from a line thrown together, but it's still there. Just different.

The issue I had with keeping Streit is that while he produced, he had to be in the lineup. That sounds stupid and Yogi Berra ish, but now, the team has to have contributions from more complete players. They needed a bit of toughness, they need to develop a d man, or at least identify the need, and Streit's presence delayed that.

Still, the 60 points were nice.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Seriously? 62 Points last year is not worth 1 or even 2 million dollars? I guess Dandy deserves that kind of money though

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry Mike, I do agree with you most of the time. But we are definitely on a different page in this instance.

Old
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
$1M.. Are you crazy?

The league minimum is like.. $650,000.

Streit is worth probably $3M in reality, unless he keeps up his play this year.. the $4M may be a steal.

Old
11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
onice

I was about to say no and then I realized that his departure allowed for the resigning of our hall-of-famer Patrice Brisebois. Forgetting salaries, I'd have to say yeah. I miss him. Miss him something awful.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Sorry Mike, I do agree with you most of the time. But we are definitely on a different page in this instance.
Quote:
$1M.. Are you crazy?

Streit is worth probably $3M in reality, unless he keeps up his play this year.. the $4M may be a steal.
Where do you play Streit then?

Old
11-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Where do you play Streit then?
Well at 1million, he would be playing the 15 minutes per game that either O'Byrne or Brisebois have been playing so far this season.

Old
11-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Eazy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Streit was a good player and a great personality on the Habs, but I'm not too disappoint that he left. With his great season last year, he priced himself out of Montreal. In a perfect world, he would have stayed on the Habs, and taken the spot occupied by Breezer now. But that was not a possibility whatsoever, given the Habs salary structure and team depth. I am very happy that he's having early success on the Isles, and getting to play full minutes as a defenceman (that is what he wanted). As long as he doesn't become a Hab killer, I will be extremely pleased with how things worked out for Mark, without hurting the Habs.
He becomes a Habs killer tonight.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Well at 1million, he would be playing the 15 minutes per game that either O'Byrne or Brisebois have been playing so far this season.
Right, but the club made it abundantly clear that it did not like Streit on defense, and it has also made it clear that the fourth line is an energy/aggressive line. I don't see anywhere that Streit has a spot except the PP.

Now, regarding Streit vs. O'Byrne: the team needed to be bigger and tougher on the blueline, as witnessed by last year's playoffs. I understand and agree with McPhee's point that the team ought to play to its strengths; that being, puck movement and skating, and Streit brings those characteristics more than O'Byrne. With that said, there's a limit to that: I take Komisarek over Kaberle for Montreal because the reality is that some balance is needed. O'Byrne's a good skater and is an adequate puck mover, though he has brain cramps--as any rookie does.

I'm no O'Byrne fan, but in a playoff series under a heavy forecheck, I do not trust Streit. I like Streit defensively more than most here; I think he's smart positionally and good in transition, but three undersized defensemen (Streit, Bouillon, Gorges) is too much for a playoff team, and so the weakest of the three in battling down low and in front of the net was removed.

No room in the top 6, no role for him among the top 12 forwards ... where does he fit? That's why I wouldn't take Streit at $1m.

If I'm NYIslanders, I'm happy with Streit at $4.5m. I'm not saying Streit is not worth his contract; I'm saying he's not a player Montreal would want on any contract right now.

Old
11-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
He becomes a Habs killer tonight.
which im ok with as long as he doesn't do it to us in the playoffs.

Thats all that matters and the way they started it seems the number one thing in NYI is the top 5 draft pick

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
As it stands, Streit is on pace for a career season albeit with a lesser talented team in the Islanders and he currently leads the Isles in scoring; and with that, the question becomes do you miss Mark Streit? and his production?
would his production help your team? did he bring more positives than negatives? but considering your team has a pretty good record, I don`t think Streit will be missed.

a simple question, a curious Isles fan asking...
Now, no. Feel free to ask this question again when the Habs are in a mid season 0-4 slump and the PP is being booed. See you in February.

Montreal could not and so did not replace Streit. However they will put that $20.5M to work for them in other ways down the road.

Streit has surprised now 2 seasons in a row, maybe the Isles were on to something when they shocked the hockey world with the Streit contract offer.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
$1M.. Are you crazy?

will see if he is going to be able to handle 25+ minutes a night then bring it for the playoffs which he might not have to worry about in NYI . That has yet to be seen .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
CanadienErrant*

I want Ryder, Streit, Ribeiro, Souray, Huet, Danis and Samsonov back...

I liked Streit. But not at 4 million a year.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote