HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Confirmed: Jessiman traded to Nashville for Future Considerations

Old
10-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Technically, those are called nightmares.
Nah, that's reality, I'd rather stay asleep. You should see the team the Rangers ice in my dreams!

Honestly, though, going beyond the 1st round, the Rangers look like they've drafted a lot better over the last few years in general, so maybe I can open my eyes and get out of bed.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:49 PM
SML

Well, I hope this is the end of the threads *****ing about Jessiman. At least until he actually makes it. Then there will be just as many *****ing about why we let him go. Picks are a crapshoot. You don't know what you're getting. Sometimes you get a dud, like many think Jessiman is. Sometimes you get a sleeper like Lundqvist who nobody thinks is special and he proves you wrong. Bottom line is, nobody bats a thousand. Either you're picking high enough that you can't possibly miss, ala Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin, or you're always taking the "safe" guy, so you never get the superstar, or you swing for a home run. Sometimes you hit it, sometimes you don't. I personally think he's still going to play. But there is some value in having young players in your organization know that if for whatever reason, things are not working out for you with the NY Rangers, they will not bury you in their system to prove a point. They will move you to a new situation so you can try to make a career. Hugh Jessiman just got lapped on the depth chart by too many young players. It happens. I still wish him luck.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I wonder if the official un-official decision to end the Shanahan drama spelled the end to the Jessiman experiment. It seemed like Shanahan was the only reason he wasn't dealt earlier.
I see absolutely no connection between the decision to trade Jessiman and not re-signing Shanahan.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 05:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I always thought Dustin Brown was the obvious pick at 12. I nearly backflipped when he dropped to our spot but promptly fell on my face when we passed on him. Much like this guy.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
But there is some value in having young players in your organization know that if for whatever reason, things are not working out for you with the NY Rangers, they will not bury you in their system to prove a point.
Excellent point. Sather is not afraid to cut his losses. (unfortunately, he's had a lot of losses to cut over thE last few years) And there's truth that letting a player get a fresh start can often revitalize their career. Usually best for everyone.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Ola

Something that explains the Jessiman pick is the drafts prior to 2003. There is a bunch of fans who are up in arms because they wanted Getzlaf, they wanted Parise, they wanted Brown. And all became stars.

The facts are that thoose players where the guys talked about at the range we where picking.

The same fans who called for Getzlaf, Parise and co in 2003, had/would have called for Boyd Gordon (17th overall) and Eric Nystrom (10th overall) in 2002, for Chuck Kubashew in 2001, for Raffi Torres (4th overall) in 2000. I've never heard one of thoose so called fan experts who "knew" Getzlaf was gooing to be great -- one year say that "this year, I don't belive in anyone". Every year everyone belives in 2-3 players.

Facts again are that previous years before 2003, had been pretty bad. Like in 2003, the 2001-2002 drafts where still unknown. In 2000 Frolov was basically the ONLY good player picked between 7th to 27th. In 1999, after the Sedins, Havalt was the only good player in the 1st round. From 5th to the 28th pick. 1 good player.

Thats the reality at that time. Its not that far fetched that our scouts didn't really belive a ton in the usual guys from the CHL, like what was really the diffrence between Getzlaf and Scott Kelman? Kelman who was picked 3 years earlier had better numbers, but looked like a bust 3 years later. Like basically everyone else.

Instead what happend was the in 2005 there was a lockout, the game changed tremendsouly. It really opened up for kids, why the old gaurd like John LeClair and co were sent out of the league in a hurry. What was already a great year group -- got a once in a lifetime opertunity to mold their talent into a style that fitted the "new" NHL.

Because the new NHL where really about speed. Calgary flames had made the SCF in 2004 with 12 forwards like Iginla, Conroy, Donovan, Gelinas, McAmmond, Reinprecht, Chris Clarke, Yelle, Nieminen, Dave Lowry and Markus Nilsson. They played 26 games in the POs but only had 3 forwards with mroe then 10 pts... And of them Gelinas had only 15 in 26... Iginla 22 and Conroy 17 -- in 26 games. They had no skill whatsoever -- still they got to the SCF's. That will never happend again, probably. At that time there were no room for talent, only for size and hard work.

So the talented players picked in 2003 got a once in a lifetime chance.

We picked had picked the 6'6 forward...

Thats allot of factors that played into the Jessiman pick. Previous years the usual standouts in the CHL or college hockey had struggled. In the NHL only size mattered.

Things changed.

We got the bad end on Jessiman, we picked size at a time only players with size made it. Temas picking after us had no guys with size to choose from, so they got the small talented players...

What allot of guys forgets though is that later in the drafts at that time, when there where no guys with size to pick, we took players like Dawes, Prucha, Marek, Zidlicky and co. Marek got us Avery. Zidlicky got us a starter goalie. Prucha and Dawes are atleast as good as a handful of guys from the 2003 first round.

I know, Getzlaf, Richards or Parise might have been what really would have put this team over the top. But thats life...

Last edited by Ola: 10-31-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:00 PM
JamesG1221

Good article from Greenberg out of the NY Post today:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11012008...fts_136273.htm

Talks about the last 10 years of drafting and how much misfortune we've had.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:01 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
Good article from Greenberg out of the NY Post today:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11012008...fts_136273.htm

Talks about the last 10 years of drafting and how much misfortune we've had.
Yeah, some bad luck in there with Blackburn, Cherneski and Chere. And some outright busts with Brown, Brendl, Lundmark and Jessiman. We screwed Malhotra's development by keeping him in the NHL at 18 and sticking him on the 4th line.

But since 2004 we've done pretty well, with the exception of Montoya, but Lunqvist emerging as a franchise goalie after being a 7th round pick makes up for that.

Staal has already made good on his draft position. Both Korpikoski and Sanguinetti seem destined to be regular NHLers. How good they become remains to be seen. And Del Zotto, while still young and unproven, looks like he has the tools to be good.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
quick question , if supposedly shananhan signs with nashville and we get him for the "future considerations"

who takes the cap hit?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
quick question , if supposedly shananhan signs with nashville and we get him for the "future considerations"

who takes the cap hit?
Interesting question - not sure it's legal in any way. Your best bet is to take it to IrishBlues.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:36 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Interesting question - not sure it's legal in any way. Your best bet is to take it to IrishBlues.
i guess the team shanahan would play for has to pay him and thus the salary will count against their cap

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
i guess the team shanahan would play for has to pay him and thus the salary will count against their cap
Well than again nashville is the actual team that signs him and he gets paid by them first , well i dont know thats why i was asking XD

Its sorta like the jagr-washington deal , he came to us but we only had to pay half of the salary.

intresting!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Well than again nashville is the actual team that signs him and he gets paid by them first , well i dont know thats why i was asking XD

Its sorta like the jagr-washington deal , he came to us but we only had to pay half of the salary.

intresting!
yeah but afaik under the new cba things like that are no longer possible, no team may pay the salary (or part of it) of a player on another team. the only exception i know is if someone is picked up from re-entry wavers.

Old
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

How would you guys feel about taking Ortmeyer back?

He's coming off IR soon and there is no room for him on our team. This could be the future considerations?

He's making 750,000 and will be a UFA at the end of the year.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post

He's coming off IR soon and there is no room for him on our team. This could be the future considerations?

neither on ours...

Old
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post

No room for him on our team either. Liked him while he was here, but there's really no spot for another bottom-six guy on this team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
as much as I loved Ortsy there is no place for him on this team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Honestly, unless there's something already in place (such as something to do with Radulov), I see this translating into a small move up during the draft - for example, depending on who finishes higher in the standings, we could switch fourth rounders (if we draft lower) or our fifth for their fourth (if we draft higher).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote