HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why I'm not worried about this season

Old
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

vCash: 500
Why I'm not worried about this season

1. Best start in Ranger history.
2. PP is bad and we are still winning, which means when the pp starts working, we will be unstoppable.
3. Henke
4. Z is taking off and Voros and Dubi are right there with him. Can you say +11
5. Naslund is starting to score goals
6. Girardi has 8 pts in 13 games. 9th in dmen scoring. Rosi has 6 in 13 18th in dmen scoring.
7. We didn't sign Shanny, and it looks like we won't sign Sundin.
8. Sjo - Betts - Orr Shutdown Line
9. Our extra skater is Prucha, who's not half bad for a backup.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
2. PP is bad and we are still winning, which means when the pp starts working, we will be unstoppable.
3. Henke
6. Girardi has 8 pts in 13 games. 9th in dmen scoring. Rosi has 6 in 13 18th in dmen scoring.
Good Post

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Josh NYR

I agree.
Everything seems to be in place for an awesome team. Once we click with the PP, like you said, we'll be unstoppable.

Josh NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Jersey Girl

It's all good, but take it for what it is...a nice start. A little early to say 'we'll be unstoppable'. We do have these points in the bank, though, and they could come in handy in April whether we're battling for the President's trophy, home ice in the first round, or a playoff spot.

I'm not even going to mention some of the things that have gone our way for fear of jinxing them, but let's just say things certainly won't be this smoothe from now through mid-June. Despite an amazing record we haven't played amazing hockey, which means we're either capable of being even a whole lot better (scary), or we're not actually amazing and the laws of averages will catch up with us (a whole different scary).

It is funny how sentiment on a board reflects a team's last couple of games. Look at the Sabres board...five distinctly negative threads are there right now, despite them having a very good record. Actually, I'm surprised the moderators haven't told them to keep all the negativity in one thread.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 10-31-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

It's a great start, still a long long way to go.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
3. Henke
Great post, good points. Only thing is we can't keep up this pace the whole season which is why we really need to PP to start clicking.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

They are starting great according to the W/L, but almost every game so far, the first two periods make the GDT posts look like an angry lynch mob out to get the Ranger bench.

If they play the first two periods the way the play the third, then this team will be scary. Up to now, it seems like they are 10-2-1 by just showing up to the third period (which is an accomplishment on its own), but I don't see that lasting long if they don't step it up to the rest of the game.

And the PP. Let's not get into that.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:24 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
3. Henke

Good points and a great start thus far but the fact is that eventually we're going to level off just like any team who starts off hot. When that happens the powerplay is going to be pretty crucial. It's easy to overlook a powerplay that can't score on a 5 on 3 when a team is 10-2-1. They start playing .500-sub.500 hockey and panic will set in.

As far as Prucha- Idk if I'd call him our extra skater because Fritche would then have to be considered a regular. This team is pretty thin on the wing with Dawes not producing much offense and I know it's a topic for a whole other thread but Prucha could do some good as a regular given the current state of the team..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
They are starting great according to the W/L, but almost every game so far, the first two periods make the GDT posts look like an angry lynch mob out to get the Ranger bench.

If they play the first two periods the way the play the third, then this team will be scary. Up to now, it seems like they are 10-2-1 by just showing up to the third period (which is an accomplishment on its own), but I don't see that lasting long if they don't step it up to the rest of the game.

And the PP. Let's not get into that.

Agreed. They've had some good starts and some great 3rd periods but they need to start stringing together 60 minute games if they want to keep racking up points.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
NYR Viper

good start....they still need to improve quite a bit and i feel like they have the room to do so

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
broadwayblue

we're on pace for what...~145 points. hard to complain about that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
3. Henke
Exactly. The negative people just want to be able to say "I told you so" when we have the inevitable bad stretch, or the first time we lose to a last place team (which ALL teams do at some point.) Remember, Detroit had a stretch when they went 1-8-2 over a 3 week period in February last year, and they did fine. This team will slump at some point. but i think we're good enough to get through that time. As good as Detroit last year? Probably not, but we did give them everything they could handle a couple of weeks back.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
You could also add that the Rangers will have a leg up over:

1. A ****** Islanders team
2. An injured Devils team
3. An under performing Penguins team

At this point, the only competition (division-wise) seems to be Philadelphia. Conference-wise, Montreal is going to be the toughest.

But good start by the Rags nonetheless. Of course, things can always change down the line...

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

10. Valiquette

It's great to have a reliable backup that shows up strong and can steal some wins as well.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Uhhhh it's been not even 20 games. I'm sure the same kind of threads were in the Sens board at this time last year. Not saying I expect a collapse like that from this team but I do expect the lack of offense to catch up. Also will Hank have his usual mid season slump this year? Will Voros continue his strong play through 82 games? Does Sundin get added with others being moved out? Does Z stop his mistakes and become the perfect game breaker? Does Renney find lines that work for more than a few games? This team has been good but it's not without it's problems.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Does Z stop his mistakes and become the perfect game breaker?
lol!

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
lol!
Oh I didn't realize he was playing mistake free hockey. Stop making like he does no wrong, I hate that. I admit he is a great winger but he isn't without fault in his play so far. Renney still has work to do with him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
broadwayblue

The good news is we are winning. The bad news is we are not exactly playing great hockey, and the margin between winning and losing in the NHL is pretty slim. It's also early, and the hockey season is a marathon, not a sprint. That aside, I'd be lying if I said this team wasn't beating my expectations.

Old
10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Uhhhh it's been not even 20 games. I'm sure the same kind of threads were in the Sens board at this time last year. Not saying I expect a collapse like that from this team but I do expect the lack of offense to catch up. Also will Hank have his usual mid season slump this year? Will Voros continue his strong play through 82 games? Does Sundin get added with others being moved out? Does Z stop his mistakes and become the perfect game breaker? Does Renney find lines that work for more than a few games? This team has been good but it's not without it's problems.
You make great points. But it is it wrong to enjoy the good times and focus on the positive as opposed to grumbling about how it could inevitably go badly? If we're not gonna be optimistic now, when will we ever be? Only if we someday start winning every game 5-0? I mean with your outlook i cant see it being fun to be a fan very often.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
You make great points. But it is it wrong to enjoy the good times and focus on the positive as opposed to grumbling about how it could inevitably go badly? If we're not gonna be optimistic now, when will we ever be? Only if we someday start winning every game 5-0? I mean with your outlook i cant see it being fun to be a fan very often.
It's definitely fine to enjoy the good times. That said, there are a lot of things this team needs to improve on. Little things that win or lose games. For me, the number of times we go offsides in a game is unacceptable. Every one of those is a potential scoring chance negated. There are others, and I hope they are actually working hard to improve. As I stated earlier, the margin between winning and losing is slim, and something as trivial as a single faceoff loss could be the difference.

Old
10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
NYRSchrute217

Lets us not forget the 07-08 Ottawa Senators...

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
gravytrain6t

This team really started becoming a playoff contender a few years back when Renney came in and held each and every player accountable for their play in the defensive zone, having players realize the importance of putting their heads down and skating back hard to break up a play or pick up a trailer. Before Renney got here. Their pk was absolutely horrible. I know it was one of the worst in the league. So when Renney talks about "sticking to a plan or a system that will protect the team." This is what he's talking about. So as long as this team plays solid team defense (especially for 60 minutes), the Rangers will be okay through out the season.

However, for this team to take it to the next level. Which is the conference finals, it will boil down to how how far Gomez and Drury can carry the load. Yes, it's been a very pleasant surprise thus far with the Play Station line. I for one, am a Gomez fan and think he'll be fine. I know I'm in the minority on this. And it's not just because of his lack of production thus far. But I think Sather made a mistake by signing Drury.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:50 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
However, for this team to take it to the next level. Which is the conference finals, it will boil down to how how far Gomez and Drury can carry the load. Yes, it's been a very pleasant surprise thus far with the Play Station line. I for one, am a Gomez fan and think he'll be fine. I know I'm in the minority on this. And it's not just because of his lack of production thus far. But I think Sather made a mistake by signing Drury.
I'm not flaming you here--I'm just curious--how you think the Drury money should have been spent? Remember, when we spent the money, Dubi was a complete unknown, and Sather had to think that Jagr would probably be gone, if not after last season, than after this one.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
I'm not flaming you here--I'm just curious--how you think the Drury money should have been spent? Remember, when we spent the money, Dubi was a complete unknown, and Sather had to think that Jagr would probably be gone, if not after last season, than after this one.
Briere.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Briere.
ewwww. no.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote