HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren shopping for "immediate relief"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2008, 01:51 PM
  #126
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,888
vCash: 50
Biron and Huet are on par I think. We actually did hear about Huet in LA, but Dave Taylor is an idiot and traded him for Mathieu Garon hoping he was like a Giguere, someone who was behind held back and needed somewhere to play, where actually it was Huet that was who he was looking for, Huet ended up being the #1 goalie his last 2 years in LA after being the backup for the first 4 months of the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
  #127
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Huet's play had a lot more to do with the defensive corps he had in Mtl and not so much his actual ability. If he was so good, we would have heard about him in LA. He is a decent goalie, but I wouldn't classify him as better than Biron.. equal at the most.

Haven't heard much about him this year.

2 Cristobal Huet CHI 4 1 2 1 104 11 2.72 93 .894 0 0 0 0 243:03
He played well in the playoffs because he wanted money, like everyone else in their contract yr.
Lets try not to judge players on 4 games out of an 82 game schedule...and Huet's superb play had nothing to do with a stellar defense in front of him in Washington.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 05:14 PM
  #128
carcillorocks
Registered User
 
carcillorocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
The Philadelphia Flyers could be in the market for a goaltender as their current tandem of Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki have struggled. They can't afford Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin but more affordable options could be Atlanta's Ondrej Pavelec and Montreal's Jaroslav Halak.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Unless the Flyers are willing to part with something worthwhile they probably won't get either guy, as the Thrashers and Habs could hold onto those two as potential trade deadline bait.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.......s&Itemid=55

sorry idk if it has been posted already

carcillorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
  #129
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshallrocks View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers could be in the market for a goaltender as their current tandem of Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki have struggled. They can't afford Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin but more affordable options could be Atlanta's Ondrej Pavelec and Montreal's Jaroslav Halak.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Unless the Flyers are willing to part with something worthwhile they probably won't get either guy, as the Thrashers and Habs could hold onto those two as potential trade deadline bait.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.......s&Itemid=55

sorry idk if it has been posted already
That was a while ago. Both of our goalies are back to form. We're fine at that position as long as the defense doesn't play like complete garbage.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 07:26 PM
  #130
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That was a while ago. Both of our goalies are back to form. We're fine at that position as long as the defense doesn't play like complete garbage.
We can deal with it for this year but past that something needs to be done, which means something could be done sooner rather than later if we're talking about a young guy like Pavelec

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 07:28 PM
  #131
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
We can deal with it for this year but past that something needs to be done, which means something could be done sooner rather than later if we're talking about a young guy like Pavelec
I'm fine with Biron for the next few years...rather than trading for a goalie I'd like to see them start making more of an effort investing through the draft at the position. Short-term, the focus needs to be on improving the D at the NHL level.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
  #132
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
We can deal with it for this year but past that something needs to be done, which means something could be done sooner rather than later if we're talking about a young guy like Pavelec
I'm fine with looking for a younger guy that we think could take over for Biron down the road and play the back-up role in the meantime. But as Jester says, Biron is more than fine for the next few years, so looking for a starter and giving up valuable assets and cap-space is beyond silly at this point.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:58 PM
  #133
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshallrocks View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers could be in the market for a goaltender as their current tandem of Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki have struggled. They can't afford Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin but more affordable options could be Atlanta's Ondrej Pavelec and Montreal's Jaroslav Halak.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Unless the Flyers are willing to part with something worthwhile they probably won't get either guy, as the Thrashers and Habs could hold onto those two as potential trade deadline bait.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.......s&Itemid=55

sorry idk if it has been posted already
Sounds like wherever he got that from posts on the boards.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
  #134
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lets try not to judge players on 4 games out of an 82 game schedule...and Huet's superb play had nothing to do with a stellar defense in front of him in Washington.
You're right, it had to do with him looking for a pay raise in free agency.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
  #135
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
You're right, it had to do with him looking for a pay raise in free agency.
While I do believe in the contract year theory, I think you're using it with a bit too much casualness in that case. It isn't like he suddenly started putting up good numbers last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
  #136
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Short-term, the focus needs to be on improving the D at the NHL level.
Agreed, our problem is D and nothing else.
Think with Parent and Jones back, we will be more stable.
Streit would have looked good with us, having a good season so far.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:52 AM
  #137
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Streit can't play defense.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
  #138
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
While I do believe in the contract year theory, I think you're using it with a bit too much casualness in that case. It isn't like he suddenly started putting up good numbers last year.

You're right, I still think he's good, but he was a streaky goaltender, more suited for playing
45-50 games, a shared duty type. In Montreal he wore down in the 2nd half of the season every year, so in closing I don't see him as an upgrade over Biron, more of the same.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
  #139
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Agreed, our problem is D and nothing else.
Think with Parent and Jones back, we will be more stable.
Streit would have looked good with us, having a good season so far.
He's the only half-decent defenseman on the worst team in the league and doesn't know how to play defense. No thanks.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
  #140
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Streit can't play defense.
He's a utility player, and a good offensive D-man which we don't have many of.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
  #141
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
can you imagine This team with a star defenseman. We would be unbeatable

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
  #142
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
He's a utility player, and a good offensive D-man which we don't have many of.
I love how people complain about how we don't have offensive d-men when we lead the league in scoring and have a top-5 PP.

Scoring is not the problem with this team, we don't need a Streit to jumpstart our offense, it's already been jumpstarted.

I think you need guys that can contribute defensively, but who are also solid defensively. Guys like Kimmo, Coburn, Eminger, and Sbisa can be those 2-way guys in the future.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
  #143
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
can you imagine This team with a star defenseman. We would be unbeatable
C'mon now man, Kimmo might not be a star, but he's a legit No.1 which is fine, the supporting cast is the problem.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:07 PM
  #144
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
can you imagine This team with a star defenseman. We would be unbeatable
Can you name 10 Dmen you'd trade straight up for Kimmo? Out of 30 teams and a couple of hundred defensemen we have one of the best 2 way guys out there.

We have plenty of talent and speed on the blueline and a moderate amount of grit, still think all we need is a true defense minded assistant coach to pull it all together.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:40 PM
  #145
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Can you name 10 Dmen you'd trade straight up for Kimmo? Out of 30 teams and a couple of hundred defensemen we have one of the best 2 way guys out there.

We have plenty of talent and speed on the blueline and a moderate amount of grit, still think all we need is a true defense minded assistant coach to pull it all together.
lidstrom
Niedermayer
zubov
chara
kaberle
phaneuf

I might be missing 1 or 2 but thats about it. ther is a couple who are even with him or I might trade but thats teh list of ones I would definitely do it for

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 03:38 PM
  #146
XS Chop
Registered User
 
XS Chop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
lidstrom
Niedermayer
zubov
chara
kaberle
phaneuf

I might be missing 1 or 2 but thats about it. ther is a couple who are even with him or I might trade but thats teh list of ones I would definitely do it for

Exactly. Now name teams in the East with a better top 6, on paper. Then the only question is why our D isn't dominating other teams as is, let alone with Jones and Parent back.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.