HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Valiquette be a starer?

Old
10-20-2008, 02:10 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Any team that has him as a starter will be fighting for the #1 overall pick. Sorry to say.
Well that would make sense for a team that is rebuilding. For example, why would Toronto give up first round picks for Toskala when they are bottoming out? If I was them I'd sign someone like Vally and use that high first rounder to build the team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
He's perfect in his current role. I think he's best suited as a backup, but he's certainly one of the best backups in the league.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Most of the goalies around the league look horrible so far. I know its early, but Vali looks like he could start for a number of clubs, including the team that drafted him & the team that signed him as a FA thereafter.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
mjolnir13

I don't know if Vally should be a full-time starter...however, I do think he should be given more than 13 games a season. It'll certainly keep Hank from burning out.

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir13 View Post
I don't know if Vally should be a full-time starter...however, I do think he should be given more than 13 games a season. It'll certainly keep Hank from burning out.
20 a year is a good number, just glancing at the schedule we have 3 back to back games in October, that's alot.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
SML

Vally's biggest strength is that he knows his role and he accepts it. Weekes was here and thought he should have been the starter, even though his play clearly showed otherwise. Vally could play this gig into a much more substantial career. He should be watching every move Renney and this coaching staff makes while he's on the bench. He should be memorizing everything he learns from the goalie coach. Being a player in this league, whether you are a star or not, is the golden ticket when it comes to a resume for wanting to be a coach or to get into broadcasting. Take a look around. Most of the guys in coaching or broadcasting were not superstars, outside of Gretzky or Denis Potvin. That's because natural freak superstars don't really have to rely on coaching because they have so much natural ability. A guy who's paying attention and playing his cards right can turn a 5 year playing career into a 25 year career as a coach or a broadcaster. BTW, any goalie can look good for 10 games a year. True starters have to play 60+ games and I don't see him pulling that kind of stamina out when he's never been anywhere near that number before.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:33 AM
mtxed

Will VALLY play on Fri vs CLS before NYR travels to PIT for a division game?

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:39 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Will VALLY play on Fri vs CLS before NYR travels to PIT for a division game?
The Rangers are playing AT MSG vs pens not in sheetzburgh.

EDIT - Yes i think he should.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:49 AM
mtxed

bump, VALI in or out tomorrow?

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:50 AM
NYR Viper

vally in tomorrow

but on the topis i really think he could be a solid tandem goalie for some teams like philly, TB, boston, ottawa....there are a lot of teams in need of some better goaltending and i think vally could play 30 games a season and have a good winning percentage

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:05 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
vally in tomorrow
Is this the offical werd?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Is this the offical werd?
no, sorry, i was just answering his question to what i think will happen...i dont think renney wants to use hank so much at the beginning of the season and vally has played well both games he has played in....seems to make sense

Old
11-01-2008, 10:36 PM
sachemrhgoalie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Vally can flat out play.

Last year he had a 2.19 GAA and .916 SV%. I know it was just 13 games, but out of those, he played 1 bad one that I remember.

A few days ago, he was acceptable. Today, he's been great so far. If we win this game, he's going to be one of the top 3 stars, maybe even the #1 star if Toskala winds up giving up a goal before the OT is over.

He has good reflaxes, good movement, good attitude.

Being the good guy that he is, Vally doesn't demand anything. Nor can he on the Rangers team.

But if I were his agent, I'd want him to sign with another team that has more questionable goaltending because Vally deserves a shot to start.

P.S. As I'm writing this, the Maple Laughs are on the PP and Vally just made several nice stops.

P.P.S. Fans just began chanting "vally, vally, vally"
do u still think he could be a starter

sachemrhgoalie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Alcapwn89

HAY GUYS VALLY's AWESOME AMIRITE

Alcapwn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
Well, this was really his only OFF game in a while. But, yeah he sucked tonight.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:03 PM
tlallstar6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
lol. i figured i would see something like this tonight.

one bad game.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I think if given the chance, you'd see more of tonight's Vally and less of the superstar Vally of some of his past games. He's good... at times... but if Hank for whatever reason went down, we'd be completely ****ed with him starting.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Alcapwn89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
I think if given the chance, you'd see more of tonight's Vally and less of the superstar Vally of some of his past games. He's good... at times... but if Hank for whatever reason went down, we'd be completely ****ed with him starting.
Nah, not completely ****ed, but i agree that the "Superstar Vally" that we were seeing for a game or two here or there doesn't really exist.

This is why he's a backup, people. If he was really something totally ****ing awesome, well, he wouldnt be a backup now would he?

Alcapwn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:16 AM
NYR Viper

he sat back in his crease and didnt challenge the shooters...thats why he looked bad....if he came out another 6-8 inches in the crease 3 of those 5 goals most likely wouldnt have happened because those spaces wouldnt have been there

Old
11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachemrhgoalie13 View Post
do u still think he could be a starter
Not defending him as a starter because I don't think he can be or anything, but...everyone has off games. Even hank, roy, brodeur. Anyone. One game doesn't really mean that much

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:32 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I don't see how Vally can be singled out. It's as much his fault as it is the rest of the team. Bad turnovers, lazy play, giving up odd man rushes. Vally didn't make them lose anything. The team managed to lose the game, not Vally alone.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
he sat back in his crease and didnt challenge the shooters...thats why he looked bad....if he came out another 6-8 inches in the crease 3 of those 5 goals most likely wouldnt have happened because those spaces wouldnt have been there
And if he had done that consistantly throughout his career, he might not be a 31 year old backup with less than 30 games played in the NHL.

Valiquette is a cheap backup who knows his role on the team. Nothing more, nothing less. Expect more and you'll be disappointed.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
And if he had done that consistantly throughout his career, he might not be a 31 year old backup with less than 30 games played in the NHL.

Valiquette is a cheap backup who knows his role on the team. Nothing more, nothing less. Expect more and you'll be disappointed.
but he has done that for the past year....thats why he has been relatively good....he uses his size and challenges the shooter so they dont have anything to shoot at.....watch the philly games from last season and the TO games from last season as well....he ALWAYS is out cutting down the angle....he didnt do that tonight

Old
11-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
but he has done that for the past year....thats why he has been relatively good....he uses his size and challenges the shooter so they dont have anything to shoot at.....watch the philly games from last season and the TO games from last season as well....he ALWAYS is out cutting down the angle....he didnt do that tonight
Please, Valiquette played in 13 games last year and was 5-3-3. He's been a pleasant surprise up until this point--nothing more, nothing less. He had a bad game. Hopefully, this will not turn into a string of bad games, but in the end, anything is possible.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 03:10 AM
KSUpilot

No need to execute someone after one bad game. Tonight sucked, and he blew the game, but that doesn't mean it is time to write him off. If these meltdowns become a trend, well that is another story, but the guy has been pretty good up until now.

KSUpilot is offline   Reply With Quote