HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you miss Mark Streit?

View Poll Results: Do you miss Mark Streit?
Yes 76 30.89%
No 88 35.77%
Meh... 82 33.33%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Right, but the club made it abundantly clear that it did not like Streit on defense, and it has also made it clear that the fourth line is an energy/aggressive line. I don't see anywhere that Streit has a spot except the PP.

Now, regarding Streit vs. O'Byrne: the team needed to be bigger and tougher on the blueline, as witnessed by last year's playoffs. I understand and agree with McPhee's point that the team ought to play to its strengths; that being, puck movement and skating, and Streit brings those characteristics more than O'Byrne. With that said, there's a limit to that: I take Komisarek over Kaberle for Montreal because the reality is that some balance is needed. O'Byrne's a good skater and is an adequate puck mover, though he has brain cramps--as any rookie does.

I'm no O'Byrne fan, but in a playoff series under a heavy forecheck, I do not trust Streit. I like Streit defensively more than most here; I think he's smart positionally and good in transition, but three undersized defensemen (Streit, Bouillon, Gorges) is too much for a playoff team, and so the weakest of the three in battling down low and in front of the net was removed.

No room in the top 6, no role for him among the top 12 forwards ... where does he fit? That's why I wouldn't take Streit at $1m.

If I'm NYIslanders, I'm happy with Streit at $4.5m. I'm not saying Streit is not worth his contract; I'm saying he's not a player Montreal would want on any contract right now.
True he doesn't have a spot on the team as it currently sits. But if he would have been signed during the off season. Our need for Brisebois would be much less so he probably wouldn't have been re-signed.

Also Streit's flexibility would have allowed us to trade/buyout/waiver Dandenault from our roster.

If Streit would have said to Gainey before July 1st that he would sign for under 2m. My guess is he would still be a Hab.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True he doesn't have a spot on the team as it currently sits. But if he would have been signed during the off season. Our need for Brisebois would be much less so he probably wouldn't have been re-signed.

Also Streit's flexibility would have allowed us to trade/buyout/waiver Dandenault from our roster.

If Streit would have said to Gainey before July 1st that he would sign for under 2m. My guess is he would still be a Hab.
I think I still disagree. Streit just doesn't fit. Even if he's better than Brisebois, he's not a #7 defenseman. Even if he's better than Dandenault and the entire fourth line, he ain't a fourth-liner.

This team is about specific roles. Streit has none on even strength.

Sure, the team could sign Streit instead of Brisebois then buyout Dandenault ... but Streit's too good to play in their respective roles, and so he wouldn't. He'd be in the lineup every night, and he just can't be since he doesn't fulfill any role.

Better for both the team and for Streit to have moved on.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
TheCH*

How can anybody not miss that point shot on the pp?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:18 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I think I still disagree. Streit just doesn't fit. Even if he's better than Brisebois, he's not a #7 defenseman. Even if he's better than Dandenault and the entire fourth line, he ain't a fourth-liner.

Sure, the team could sign Streit instead of Brisebois then buyout Dandenault ... but Streit's too good to play in their respective roles, and so he wouldn't. He'd be in the lineup every night, and he just can't be since he doesn't fulfill any role.

Streit on the team would mean no Brisebois and O'Byrne as number 7 d-man. It would also mean improved PP.

Streit wanted to play defence only, and we must respect that even if we think that he is an average d-man defensively.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:

Fair enough Mike, I do agree with your last sentence though.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
How can anybody not miss that point shot on the pp?
Exactly. Markov's shot is just not the same so far.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 04:50 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Well said...and he sure didn't fit making 4M per season...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Loved him during the regular season but was a bit of a ghost in the playoffs (may have been hurt). Bottom line was awesome for $600K but there's no way we could pay that much for a 4th (at best) dman/utility forward regardless of how well he worked on the PP. I'm glad he's doing well in NY. The habs gave him a shot in the NHL when probably no one else would, chalk another on up for the scouts.
may have been hurt? He could barely walk. He was practically playing on a broken leg.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:

I never thought he was that bad on the blueline either, but when he had a bad game, either it snowballed, or the staff was quick to lose trust in him. If he's around, it's a problem because how do you sit offense that really doesn't do a lot wrong ?

At this point, if you skip over the uncertainty of O'b and Brisebois, and the hope is that O'bryne evolves enough to stop that debate, only Dandenault's role is a bit iffy.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I want Ryder, Streit, Ribeiro, Souray, Huet, Danis and Samsonov back...

I liked Streit. But not at 4 million a year.
How about $2M a year?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
How about $2M a year?
For 2M I would take him back... For 4.25 million No Way... sorry.

The guy is a third line forward/PP defenceman....

I don't want him playing D for the habs at even strength... and at 4.25 million he is overpaid for a third line forward/pp d-man.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
For 2M I would take him back... For 4.25 million No Way... sorry.

The guy is a third line forward/PP defenceman....

I don't want him playing D for the habs at even strength... and at 4.25 million he is overpaid for a third line forward/pp d-man.
I thought Streit looked pretty good tonight.. maybe it's just me.

The thing is, he put up more ES points than anyone on our second line last year.

To me, Streit is a wildcard. You can put him anywhere and he'll produce offensively.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

The thing is, he put up more ES points than anyone on our second line last year.

To me, Streit is a wildcard. You can put him anywhere and he'll produce offensively.
Scott Gordon has been pretty happy with Streit. He was aware of Streit's reputation as a defenceman but now can't see why it was deserved.

Good on Mark for improving his game.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
znk

what a good puck mover. He's definitely an asset for the transition game.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Seriously Natey, i know you were always a streit fan....

would you take streit at 4.25 and if yes which one do you not aquire... Lang or Tanguay??

Serious question

Old
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Jigger77

I miss Mark Streit at 1.2 mil (or whatever he made) for sure.

I don't miss him at 4.0 (or whatever he's making now).

Mark Streit is a role player. Not an impact player.

Would I take him on the Habs now? Absolutely. It would help our PP. Is he what's missing now on the Habs? No. We're missing a physical presence on the blue line that O'byrne isn't ready to fill yet. We all saw Streits defensive flaws last year. There's a reason he wasn't playing D. Mark Streit can be stopped with a few good hits. He was invisible in the playoffs. I'd much rather be 15th in the league on the PP and be among the best 5 on 5 in the league whem it comes to playoff time when the refs leave the whistles at home.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Seriously Natey, i know you were always a streit fan....

would you take streit at 4.25 and if yes which one do you not aquire... Lang or Tanguay??

Serious question
Seriously? If its true that he wanted $2M per for 3 years.. I would of signed him then and there.

I wouldn't give him the $4.1M he makes now, no. Not because I don't think he's worth it, but because I don't see where he'd fit at that salary.

But for what he brought to our club, I would of definitely made room for the $2M salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I miss Mark Streit at 1.2 mil (or whatever he made) for sure.

I don't miss him at 4.0 (or whatever he's making now).

Mark Streit is a role player. Not an impact player.

Would I take him on the Habs now? Absolutely. It would help our PP. Is he what's missing now on the Habs? No. We're missing a physical presence on the blue line that O'byrne isn't ready to fill yet. We all saw Streits defensive flaws last year. There's a reason he wasn't playing D. Mark Streit can be stopped with a few good hits. He was invisible in the playoffs. I'd much rather be 15th in the league on the PP and be among the best 5 on 5 in the league whem it comes to playoff time when the refs leave the whistles at home.
Role players don't score 60+ points. I'm sorry.. but it just doesn't happen. Streit is scoring near a PPG pace already this season.. so I do think that he's an impact player.

About the playoffs, Markov was invisible too. Not to compare the two as all-around defenseman.. but both were injured and didn't play well.

Old
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I think Streit was a victim of the wait and see for Mats Sundin. We tried to keep the cap clear for a long time and in the process just neglected Streit.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Seriously? If its true that he wanted $2M per for 3 years.. I would of signed him then and there.

I wouldn't give him the $4.1M he makes now, no. Not because I don't think he's worth it, but because I don't see where he'd fit at that salary.

But for what he brought to our club, I would of definitely made room for the $2M salary.

Role players don't score 60+ points. I'm sorry.. but it just doesn't happen. Streit is scoring near a PPG pace already this season.. so I do think that he's an impact player.

About the playoffs, Markov was invisible too. Not to compare the two as all-around defenseman.. but both were injured and didn't play well.
Agreed about the Markov comparison. I thought he was way sub-par in the 07-08 playoffs and I do believe him to be an impact player. Good point. Also agreed about the PPG with Streit so far this year.

But.

We're 10 games in and Streit's teams is THE worst team in the NHL right now. Impact players don't typically play on a team with a 2-7 or what-have-you record team. Impact players make the difference between a winning and losing record. For example anyone in the top 30 ppg players this year so far. Mark Streit is like 68th.

He's a guy you'd love to have as a 3rd or 4th liner or a 5th pairing D-man. A guy that could potentially step up and help you win playoffs games with sound defensive play and all-around adaptability. BUT. he's no impact player and he's NOT worth 4.1 imho. He's a utility guy that is lucky to even be in the NHL because Carbs and Gainey believed in him and instilled their still of play in him. He simply does not posess the skills to be an impact player on a winning nhl team.

Old
11-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Beakermania*

i agree; if that 2m rumor is in fact true we should've signed him for that.... I would take him at 2m a year.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
i agree; if that 2m rumor is in fact true we should've signed him for that.... I would take him at 2m a year.
Yup. Definitely.

Just not at 4+

Old
11-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Namso

with our pp being in the bottom third of the league, how can anyone say we dont miss Streit's shot on the point?

I would take him at 3M even. But probably not at 4.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
We're 10 games in and Streit's teams is THE worst team in the NHL right now. Impact players don't typically play on a team with a 2-7 or what-have-you record team. Impact players make the difference between a winning and losing record. For example anyone in the top 30 ppg players this year so far. Mark Streit is like 68th.
Well to be fair, Mark Streit is a defenseman. If we are going to use that logic than Niklas Lidstrom (8 points), Scott Neidermayer (8 points), and Brian Campbell (8 points) are not impact players.. which would be a lie.

Mark Streit is 7th right now among NHL defenseman in scoring with 9 points.. on a horrible team nonetheless. He's got all of 3-4 players on his club that can score.. so the fact that he is putting up points (4 goals) with nothing.. is pretty impressive.

You could put Lidstrom as well as Kovalchuk on the Islanders and I'm still not sure they are a winning club. When you're second line is made up of guys like Comrie, Okposo, and Hunter, to go along with a 2nd defense pairing of Gervais and Campoli.. you are in serious trouble. Especially with your starting goalie gone for 6 weeks.

Quote:
He's a guy you'd love to have as a 3rd or 4th liner or a 5th pairing D-man. A guy that could potentially step up and help you win playoffs games with sound defensive play and all-around adaptability. BUT. he's no impact player and he's NOT worth 4.1 imho. He's a utility guy that is lucky to even be in the NHL because Carbs and Gainey believed in him and instilled their still of play in him. He simply does not posess the skills to be an impact player on a winning nhl team.
He possessed the skills to be one a winning NHL team last year. He was on our club and we were one of the best in the league. There are lots of great players who are impact players who are on bad clubs. Rick Nash, Kovalchuk, etc.

Lucky to be in the NHL? I can agree that he was finally lucky to get a shot.. but he's done nothing but prove that he belongs here.

He's improved each and every year.. and honestly, he's got about 250 games of NA experience.. and he just keeps getting better. Who's to say in another 2-years he's not going to be one of the best? Though, unfortunately, that won't last long due to his age.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Jigger77

The pp doesn't matter if your 5 on 5 improves ten-fold. The refs hide the whistles in the playoffs anyway. You can have the best pp in the league all you want in the regular seaons. Come playoff time it don't mean squat. We've proven that for two straight yrs now.

We need to keep up being the best team in the league 5 on 5 to win a cup. Refs hide the whistles in the PO'fs,.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
The pp doesn't matter if your 5 on 5 improves ten-fold. The refs hide the whistles in the playoffs anyway. You can have the best pp in the league all you want in the regular seaons. Come playoff time it don't mean squat. We've proven that for two straight yrs now.

We need to keep up being the best team in the league 5 on 5 to win a cup. Refs hide the whistles in the PO'fs,.
That is very true, but Streit was one of our best players at ES last year. People don't seem to realize that, even though I mention it all the time.

The only players who scored more ES points than Streit were A. Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Kovalev. No one else on the team scored more at ES.