HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Rate our defenders!

Old
10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
See, the problem is that yeah, Clark played the most ice time, and the Avs only give up 1 goal...
Budaj also refrained from allowing a couple of really soft goals, which
(IMO) was the biggest contribution to the reduced goals against.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
cl76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Budaj also refrained from allowing a couple of really soft goals, which
(IMO) was the biggest contribution to the reduced goals against.

-AB
And he was recognized by the NHL for doing so too.

Wow...

[edit...wasn't sure if that was worth starting a new thread over but as AB brought Budaj up in this thread I thought it would dove-tail nicely here.]

cl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Drury_Sakic

Just saying that Clarks play on the weak side was resulting in 1-2 goals per game given up by the PK as passes that got to that weak side were happening too often and the net was wide open alot.

Yeah, Budaj has gotten better at getting over, but Clark also has been better at covering that side and allowing less chances over there.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:23 PM
cl76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Just saying that Clarks play on the weak side was resulting in 1-2 goals per game given up by the PK as passes that got to that weak side were happening too often and the net was wide open alot.

Yeah, Budaj has gotten better at getting over, but Clark also has been better at covering that side and allowing less chances over there.
All in all, I like the AVs play this season much more than last at this point in time. They appear to be doing very well scoring wise, pretty darn good health-wise, and starting to play better defense. It's very hard to be pessimistic. Sure there are oppurtinities for improvement but some of those (the PK for instance) stepped up against the Sabres. I'll never say we are a cup calibre team, but I will say this team is showing me they can make some serious noise if they continue this play day in and day out. I'll take a hard working team that tries to correct defficiencies over a skill laden team that takes nights off any time because the skill laden teams only got two cups when they should've gotten at least one more; besides, this team is well...more fun to watch because the 3rd and 4th lines actually matter again. When you have to give pause to who you would rather have scratched between Ben Guite and Cody McCormmick you have a pretty good forward group playing. When you have to wonder if Tjarnqvist is a better option for riding the pine than Cumiskey it means Leo is finally healthy.

At this point in time, it's a good day to be an AVs fan.

cl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Hannnan is no where near the guy I thought we were getting. Why did he hit Forsberg so hard and so often and frustrate the heck out of the AVs when playing against them and then all of a sudden start trying to play a position and stick game. He still needs to use his body a heck of a lot more.
Hannan was a great shut-down D-Man in pre-lockout, clutch and grab era. Today, he's an average stay-at-home D-man with 2 major liabilites:

1. He's not physical enough
2. He's among the worst players in the NHL when handling the puck

These 2 liabilities for a guy playing as many minutes as he does is just a disaster waiting to happen. When Hannan's on the ice, it's like playing 4 against 5. You simply cannot have a D-man that is so completely devoid of any puck handling/offensive skills unless they can deliver some punishment (e.g. Foote).

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
Hannan was a great shut-down D-Man in pre-lockout, clutch and grab era. Today, he's an average stay-at-home D-man with 2 major liabilites:

1. He's not physical enough
I don't know what the heck happened to this part of his game. Even without it, he's still a good player, but he'd sure be more effective if he played the physical way he used to. Might help the PK somewhat, too.

Speaking of the PK, I just noticed that while the Avs are 3rd worst in the NHL in this respect, the Erie Monsters are 2nd worst PK in the AHL. I wonder if they're playing similar systems and there's something to analyze here, or if it's just one of those wierd things...

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
The Monsters take too many penalties, but the main problem is the youth and inexperience on the blueline. Sacco and Granato do have something in common and that's a problem with making in-game adjustments.