HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you miss Mark Streit?

View Poll Results: Do you miss Mark Streit?
Yes 76 30.89%
No 88 35.77%
Meh... 82 33.33%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Vicious

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
The pp doesn't matter if your 5 on 5 improves ten-fold. The refs hide the whistles in the playoffs anyway. You can have the best pp in the league all you want in the regular seaons. Come playoff time it don't mean squat. We've proven that for two straight yrs now.

We need to keep up being the best team in the league 5 on 5 to win a cup. Refs hide the whistles in the PO'fs,.
If we scored on the PP in the playoffs last year... we'd have been golden. Our pp % was terrible in the playoffs.

8-55 for 14.6% as well as 2 shg against. Good for 11th in the playoffs (Philly had 22.4% and Pittsburgh 22.8%)

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
If we scored on the PP in the playoffs last year... we'd have been golden. Our pp % was terrible in the playoffs.
Which had a lot to do with the fact that both of our anchors were hurt. Breezer and Hammer did a decent job on the 2nd unit.. but they just weren't going to cut it on a Stanley Cup team.

Markov couldn't make his normal passes, Streit couldn't shoot the puck, and neither could hold the puck in the zone as well as normal.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Which had a lot to do with the fact that both of our anchors were hurt. Breezer and Hammer did a decent job on the 2nd unit.. but they just weren't going to cut it on a Stanley Cup team.

Markov couldn't make his normal passes, Streit couldn't shoot the puck, and neither could hold the puck in the zone as well as normal.

Yeah. Hence saying that PP doesn't matter come playoff time is ridiculous.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Well to be fair, Mark Streit is a defenseman. If we are going to use that logic than Niklas Lidstrom (8 points), Scott Neidermayer (8 points), and Brian Campbell (8 points) are not impact players.. which would be a lie.

Mark Streit is 7th right now among NHL defenseman in scoring with 9 points.. on a horrible team nonetheless. He's got all of 3-4 players on his club that can score.. so the fact that he is putting up points (4 goals) with nothing.. is pretty impressive.

You could put Lidstrom as well as Kovalchuk on the Islanders and I'm still not sure they are a winning club. When you're second line is made up of guys like Comrie, Okposo, and Hunter, to go along with a 2nd defense pairing of Gervais and Campoli.. you are in serious trouble. Especially with your starting goalie gone for 6 weeks.

He possessed the skills to be one a winning NHL team last year. He was on our club and we were one of the best in the league. There are lots of great players who are impact players who are on bad clubs. Rick Nash, Kovalchuk, etc.

Lucky to be in the NHL? I can agree that he was finally lucky to get a shot.. but he's done nothing but prove that he belongs here.

He's improved each and every year.. and honestly, he's got about 250 games of NA experience.. and he just keeps getting better. Who's to say in another 2-years he's not going to be one of the best? Though, unfortunately, that won't last long due to his age.

I think we're really close to agreeing.

I think the Habs would be a better team with Streit in the lineu than without. No doubt about it. My beef is with the commanded salary.
Dude wants 4+. I would LOVE to have him on the roster. But I don't think it makes sense to spend that much $ on him. Personally.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Vicious

Quote:

I think the Habs would be a better team with Streit in the lineu than without. No doubt about it. My beef is with the commanded salary.
Dude wants 4+. I would LOVE to have him on the roster. But I don't think it makes sense to spend that much $ on him. Personally.

No one wants/wanted to give him 4m but the report in this thread says he would've agreed to 2m/year.. thus the whole debate.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

I agree about the money.. I think he may be worth it, but not to our club at this time.

However, he wanted to sign here, mid-year last year (there is a link in this thread, and there was a thread from when his agent was on a radio station if you want to dig it up).. where he said he wanted to sign here for about $2M per for 3 years.

Gainey didn't want him for 3 years because of all the contracts, UFA's, etc.. he didn't know where the CAP was going to be in the next couple of years.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
No one wants/wanted to give him 4m but the report in this thread says he would've agreed to 2m/year.. thus the whole debate.
lol....

well, if indeed the rumour that he would have stayed for 2 is true then that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure once he got the offer from the Isles he let Gainey know and that was the end of that unless Gainey was willing to match. Whitch makes no sense.

So I guess I've made my point and most of you guys agree. Yes at 2. Maybe 2.5. No way at 4+.

good luck to Mark and the Isles.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:40 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=Streit

There is the thread from back in mid-season.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
I agree about the money.. I think he may be worth it, but not to our club at this time.

However, he wanted to sign here, mid-year last year (there is a link in this thread, and there was a thread from when his agent was on a radio station if you want to dig it up).. where he said he wanted to sign here for about $2M per for 3 years.

Gainey didn't want him for 3 years because of all the contracts, UFA's, etc.. he didn't know where the CAP was going to be in the next couple of years.
That I did not know.

If accurate that would make twice I disagreed with Gainey basically all-tme. This and his idea of not letting players dive to block shots.

Edit: I think we all agree that we'd like Mark Streit on this team right now. Money being a non-factor.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
The pp doesn't matter if your 5 on 5 improves ten-fold. The refs hide the whistles in the playoffs anyway. You can have the best pp in the league all you want in the regular seaons. Come playoff time it don't mean squat. We've proven that for two straight yrs now.

We need to keep up being the best team in the league 5 on 5 to win a cup. Refs hide the whistles in the PO'fs,.
Since the lockout the refs have actually called more penalties in the playoffs than in the regular season.... per game average.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Ryulink

I prefer this:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Kovalev-Plekanec-kostitsyn
S.Kost-Lang-Higgins
Laraque-Lapierre-Streit/kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Harmlik-Obyrne/streit(4.1M)
Bouillon-gorges

To that:

Laraque-Lapierre-kostopoulos/Begin(1.3M)/Dandenault(1.75M)

S.Kost-Lang-Higgins
Markov-Komisarek
Harmlik-Obyrne/Breezer(0.75)
Bouillon-gorges
4.1-(1.3+1.75-7.5)=$300 000

Ryulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
I prefer this:

S.Kost-Lang-Higgins

Markov-Komisarek
Bouillon-gorges

To that:

S.Kost-Lang-Higgins
Markov-Komisarek
Bouillon-gorges
4.1 for 5 years = we lose one or more of our key free agents this summer for sure.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
I prefer this:

S.Kost-Lang-Higgins

Markov-Komisarek
Bouillon-gorges

To that:

S.Kost-Lang-Higgins
Markov-Komisarek
Bouillon-gorges
yeah only difference of 300,000 but you also now have 21 players instead of 23... so when you call up those 2 rookies from the AHL you can add another 1.2 million... at least.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
yeah only difference of 300,000 but you also now have 21 players instead of 23... so when you call up those 2 rookies from the AHL you can add another 1.2 million... at least.
You don't have to have 23 players though...

Old
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its just not very intelligent to go with 21.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Vicious

Why not? Cap calculated daily so if someone goes down you just call up someone else.. Just because we send 3M cap space to the pressbox doesn't mean we have to.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
and what do you do when you have 2 players injured at the same time....

Ie we had Laraque, Higgins and Bouillion all out at the start of this season....

Would you dress 16 skaters instead of 18??

How many teams in the league right now are going with 21 players?? I know of none.

there may be teams with 22 instead of 23 but there are none i know of with 21.

If it was such a smart idea one of the other 29 GMs out there would be doing it....

For many reasons carrying only 21 players doesn't make sense. Remember when we tried to call up Locke for that Ranger game last year and he didn't get to New York in time with his equipment in order to play, and we played one player short. Carrying only 21 players increases the chances of such a thing happening tenfold.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Vicious

You call someone up like we did with Chipchura when Begin had the flu or whatever. I don't know if any teams are doing it now but there were definitely teams carrying 20-21 players the first two years of the cap.

I am not even sure why I'm arguing this since I think paying 4.1m for Streit isn't/wasn't an option especially given how it'd affect us next off season.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You call someone up like we did with Chipchura when Begin had the flu or whatever. I don't know if any teams are doing it now but there were definitely teams carrying 20-21 players the first two years of the cap.

I am not even sure why I'm arguing this since I think paying 4.1m for Streit isn't/wasn't an option especially given how it'd affect us next off season.
But there is the risk that if its a game day injury/illness that the player wouldn't get there in time to play... ie what happened with Locke last year.

The begin illness already put us in a tough spot cause we had so many people hurt at that time... imagine if we weren't carrying 23, it could be a disaster.

There are definetely reasons why no teams are doing this anymore.

Old
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Vicious

They aren't doing it anymore because they can afford to with the ever climbing cap but yeah...

4.1m invested in Streit wasn't an option.
But at 2m he would've been great.
I think we can all agree on those two points and leave it at that.

Old
11-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Mike8

Quote:
That is very true, but Streit was one of our best players at ES last year. People don't seem to realize that, even though I mention it all the time.

The only players who scored more ES points than Streit were A. Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Kovalev. No one else on the team scored more at ES.
You mention it all the time yet fail to respond to the point that Streit's ES stats aren't all that impressive. Koivu, Higgins, S.Kostitsyn and Latendresse were all right next to him. Markov too. And S.Kost+Latendresse did so with less games played/fewer quality minutes.

Meaning: there is no winger in the top-nine that Streit played better than last year in terms of ES points. Even though he outscored Higgins in ES points, Streit's 6 goals pales in comparison to Higgins' 15-16 goals.

Tossing out this stat repeatedly as though it's the be-all, end-all is absurd.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 02:20 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
i agree; if that 2m rumor is in fact true we should've signed him for that.... I would take him at 2m a year.
It's not a rumour. It's a quote from Mark Streit. The source is higher up in the thread.

To validate the statement further, remember that last year, Streit's agent said that his asking price was $2.5M for "2-3 years".

I have no doubt that Mark is telling the truth.

He would have signed for $2M for 3 years.

We could have made room for that. Maybe the poster that speculated that Gainey was trying to keep as much cap space as possible available for Sundin is right as to why we let him slip away.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It's not a rumour. It's a quote from Mark Streit. The source is higher up in the thread.

To validate the statement further, remember that last year, Streit's agent said that his asking price was $2.5M for "2-3 years".

I have no doubt that Mark is telling the truth.

He would have signed for $2M for 3 years.

We could have made room for that. Maybe the poster that speculated that Gainey was trying to keep as much cap space as possible available for Sundin is right as to why we let him slip away.
Okay... I would have signed him for 2million and to prove it here was my reaction at the time in that thread...

Quote:
I'd do it.... its a fair deal for what he brings to the team... Even if we are just looking at him as a solid 3rd -4th liner who is on the first PP unit and can play D in a pinch.
I'm not sure why Gainey didn't sign him for 2million at the time.... Streit in Dandy at 1.7 out.... seems like a fair trade off for 300k extra.

Old
11-02-2008, 08:18 AM
swisdan

Of course i miss Mark Streit to Montreal.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
JrHockeyFan

For the offensive upside at 700k the habs had a good deal.

Would I pay 4mm for the same guy? Nope

2mm a year? Who knows what the circumstances were there?

nothing against the guy, just too expensive to keep

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote