HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov: Mild Concussion

Old
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Souray has been our best by a country mile.
I would agree with that. If he can stay healthy for us that will be huge.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That sucks, I've been super impressed by his play at both ends of the rink in this early season. I hope it's just a one week sort of deal.
I have too in the few games I've actually been watching him and him alone.

If he does have a concussion, he's out two weeks minimum.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
SK13
Prep Time

vCash: 50
People are silly.

Grebeshkov is third among defenseman on the team in hits. He has twice as many as Souray. He leads the team in takeaways. He's playing the toughest assignments.

Even if you want to say Souray has been better, replacing him with a 22 year old who has no business in the NHL makes this team much worse.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
People are silly.

Grebeshkov is third among defenseman on the team in hits. He has twice as many as Souray. He leads the team in takeaways. He's playing the toughest assignments.

Even if you want to say Souray has been better, replacing him with a 22 year old who has no business in the NHL makes this team much worse.
There's no "wanting to say he's better" he has been. Grebs has been a good offensive contributor but he has also had more than a few braindead plays this year. One thing is for certain, Gilbert has been our worst d-man.

BTW-who's this 22 year old that has no place in the NHL??? Smid has looked very good and Peckham will be 21 this month. Both are decent bottom pairing options at this point.

11-01-2008, 10:16 PM
SK13
Prep Time

Quote:
There's no "wanting to say he's better" he has been. Grebs has been a good offensive contributor but he has also had more than a few braindead plays this year. One thing is for certain, Gilbert has been our worst d-man.

BTW-who's this 22 year old that has no place in the NHL??? Smid has looked very good and Peckham will be 21 this month. Both are decent bottom pairing options at this point.
The argument is subjective, I'm saying Grebeshkov has been better. The only number that supports Souray are the giveaways, and Grebeshkov has the clear edge in takeaways.

I didn't see the PPV games, though.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Souray has definately been our best, followed by lubo/grebs
Good, but that's not really saying a lot given the way we've played in our own end, is it?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Smid and Gilbert are gonna have to step up their game a bit and eat some more minutes. Hopefully they're up for it. Smid looked solid today, so I'm not to worried about him. Gilbert is finally looking a bit like his old self from last season, so hopefully he can keep that up, too.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:28 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Smid and Gilbert are gonna have to step up their game a bit and eat some more minutes. Hopefully they're up for it. Smid looked solid today, so I'm not to worried about him. Gilbert is finally looking a bit like his old self from last season, so hopefully he can keep that up, too.
Smid played his best game of the year, kudos to him. But damn, when MacT was referring to soft skill forwards I think he was talking about Carolina. But I'm worried for him tomorrow when Philly tries to force pucks down people's throats. Hopefully Smid will be able to stand up to that. They are going to have to be fearless tomorrow.

Last edited by DangerMan: 11-01-2008 at 10:35 PM.
DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
The argument is subjective, I'm saying Grebeshkov has been better. The only number that supports Souray are the giveaways, and Grebeshkov has the clear edge in takeaways.

Whatever numbers you want to come up with, IMO it doesn't matter, Souray has been one of our best players and he's been better than any other d-man on this team. IMO Staios has probably been better than Grebs as well.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Whatever numbers you want to come up with, IMO it doesn't matter, Souray has been one of our best players and he's been better than any other d-man on this team. IMO Staios has probably been better than Grebs as well.
Agreed. Souray has been way better than any other defensemen on this team to start the year and I'd rank Staios second. Visnovsky and Grebs have pretty much been on par with each other in my books. The fact is though, outside of the first two games, Grebeshkov has been very, very average.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Smid played his best game of the year, kudos to him. But damn, when MacT was referring to soft skill forwards I think he was talking about Carolina. But I'm worried for him tomorrow when Philly tries to force pucks down people's throats. Hopefully Smid will be able to stand up to that. They are going to have to be fearless tomorrow.
If Struds (or Peckham--though I doubt it) is in the lineup, it should help. They don't back down and aren't shy about being physical in front of the net.

As for the best defenseman debate, all I'll say is that Souray has been really solid so far. He's playing like a Jason Smith in his prime, except with better passing, offensive instincts, and a much, much better shot. Just perhaps a bit slower. But his speed has surprised me--he's looked faster this year than I thought he'd be.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Louis Cypher

Quote:
And you would be wrong
Souray has been one of the best Oilers period.

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Bodmanza
McChiaricholson

Quote:

Right, and Grebs I think was -2 both nights. For the season Souray is +1 and Grebs is -4.
I would say that number supports Souray as well.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Schitzo

I just hope they're not rushing Strudwick back because they're scared of playing a rookie. Philly is a mean team, Peckham would do just fine playing the bruiser role.

Is anyone else excited to see what Gilbert can do with a stay-at-home partner? This season he's somehow ended up as the responsible one, and that role doesn't fit him.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:48 AM
HuMz

That's the problem I have with people trying to make arguments based on stats when just simply watching the games, majority of people will see with there own eyes that Souray has been our best defender without question.

He actually had a couple very nice dekes tonight which is pretty uncharacteristic of him.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Spawn

Quote:
People are silly.

According to behindthenet He's playing the softest minutes among d-men... not the toughest.
Quote:
The argument is subjective, I'm saying Grebeshkov has been better. The only number that supports Souray are the giveaways, and Grebeshkov has the clear edge in takeaways
Numbers that support Souray over Grebeshkov:
Goals: Souray 2, Grebeshkov 1
+/-: Souray +1, Grebeshkov -4
TOI: Souray 24:08, Grebeshkov 19:40
Quality Comp: Souray 0.04, Grebeshkov -0.03
GA/60: Souray 1.41, Grebeshkov 3.36

Grebeshkov has also taken more minor penalties on the year.

So... giveaways aren't the only number that supports Souray. Your right, to a degree it is subjective, but statistically speaking Souray has been the Oilers best d-man.

I've actually been remarkably impressed with Souray so far this year. He's been much better than he was last year. Defensively and offensively.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

I've actually been remarkably impressed with Souray so far this year. He's been much better than he was last year. Defensively and offensively.
I've been impressed with his ability to clear the zone. He might not give you the sweet first pass, but he's also not afraid to shield the puck with his body and skate it out himself. It's a nice change from the old "ring around the boards; pray; repeat" days.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Calamus

I will never wish anyone to be injured....

But grebs is by far my most maligned oiler. Other people getting a look is fine by me....it will keep my blood pressure down. I dont even care how many giveaways he has, multiply them by at least 10 for severity. Some of the things he does with the puck i can't even fathom.

Souray is the best d-man so far this year. I am also very happy to see that Smid has picked up his play significantly from the preseason.

Calamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:44 AM
SK13
Prep Time

Quote:
According to behindthenet He's playing the softest minutes among d-men... not the toughest.
The sample size for Behindthenet is not sufficient. The values are out of whack. Defending Ryan Kesler translates to a tougher assignment then defending Henrik Sedin.

Like I said, I didn't watch the Nashville or Chicago games, so I don't know who he played. I really tuned it out. But games 1-6, he played the top matchup. Iginla's line twice, Statsny's line, him and Gilbert played The Sedin/Bernier line against Vancouver, etc.