HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'byrne & Brisebois (merged)

Old
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainey#1 View Post
Give the kid a chance.

The only way he will learn and improve is if he continues to play through mistakes. I believe he is further along in his development than Komisarek was at his age.

The worst thing we could do is send him to Hamilton, and lets not kid ourselves, he won't even make it to Hamilton as 29 other teams would be willing to pick him up.
O'B is two years younger than Komi.... Komi two years ago >>>>>> O'b now.

O'b will never be as good as Komi... and thats fine... we aren't expecting that... he needs to be a solid Dman for us... someone we can put in a 4-6 spot and be confident in. He'll get there.

Komi was a top 10 draft pick.. O'b was a fourth rounder... there is a reason for that.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Haddock

Guys, stop saying that if he had a francophone name the 'media' wouldn't be rough. The media are not rough. There's not a ton of O'Byrne articles out there. If anything, if his name was Bélanger or Turcotte, it's here of all place where he would be chastised the most. He's a young hockey player, a big one, on defense, these things take time, the team is winning, everything's fine.

Haddock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

I can live with his mistakes knowing he will get better, rather than geting rid of him like we did with other non quebecers. Be patient dman take a bit longer to develop.
I know some goofs here can't wait to see again Patrice Traverbois in the lineup, but I would take O'Byrne's mistakes anytime over any other dead wood's brain farts.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
O'byrne has better passing skills than Komi, he's just shaky at the moment.
This is an absurd remark.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I can live with his mistakes knowing he will get better, rather than geting rid of him like we did with other non quebecers. Be patient dman take a bit longer to develop.
I know some goofs here can't wait to see again Patrice Traverbois in the lineup, but I would take O'Byrne's mistakes anytime over any other dead wood's brain farts.
Like François Beauchemin and Mike Ribeiro?

Old
Pascal

It's amazing to me that some pick on OB like this. He's a rookie, he needs time. It's not like he's costing us games here.

Komi was trash too at first remember. Be patient..or do you expect him to play like Lidstrom?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I won't sugar coat it, he's been god damn awful and no one will convince me otherwise.

But his size is sorely needed on the back end it would be tough to replace his size, as well as his above average speed (when considering his towering size).

My gut tells me Gainey will give him all the chances in the world, since we all don't want to see another Hainsey/Beauchemin situation.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
kyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He better learn fast because i feel Carbo is loosing patience with him. That guy cannot make a freaking first pass, when he feels the forecheck coming, he ice the puck or just give the puck away by sending it to the board. If only, he could use his size and hit more but we cant barely see that. Its weird to see Gorges develop some much faster by playing with Bouillon when Obyrne plays with a veteran like Hamrlik and still struggles to make simple plays.
At best, you may see O'Byrne and Gorges switching places. It'll take few games yet. OB was playing fairly well at the beginning of the season so Carbo is probably hoping that he'll get his confidence back in time. Sometimes, it takes just one good game.

There is one problem with OB playing the bottom pair. Bouillon also can't make a first pass, frequently ices the puck when pressed or just gives it away when clearing along the boards. Furthermore, he doesn't have the size to deal with the bigger players in the league. On the other hand, perhaps he could encourage O'Byrne to hit more.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
He's a young hockey player, a big one, on defense, these things take time, the team is winning, everything's fine.
While I agree that Obyrne needs time to grow as a player, I don't think this issue should be overlooked simply because the team is winning. Everything is not fine. You have a gaping hole in your top 4 and when you often play a shortened defensive corps in the third to win games, that will take a toll eventually.

Just like last year. We lived and died with the PP and it came to bite us in the playoffs. If one of our top 3 gets injured, we're not going deep. I still feel that BG will address this issue.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
While I agree that Obyrne needs time to grow as a player, I don't think this issue should be overlooked simply because the team is winning. Everything is not fine. You have a gaping hole in your top 4 and when you often play a shortened defensive corps in the third to win games, that will take a toll eventually.

Just like last year. We lived and died with the PP and it came to bite us in the playoffs. If one of our top 3 gets injured, we're not going deep. I still feel that BG will address this issue.
Well of course you're right. What I don't really have a problem with is O'Byrne growing and playing through a bad epriod to gain the experience. Now if this start of the season slump were to go on, Gainey should fasten (is that a word?) his strategy to ameliorate his defensive group while making sure than O'Byrne can still be learning and getting better with a lesser, better role for him.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Pascal

Quote:
If one of our top 3 gets injured, we're not going deep. I still feel that BG will address this issue.
He'll probably wait for a cheap deal at the deadline first. Also OB will (should) improve a lot until then.

On that note, Gorges/Bouillon kinda make up for OB's shortcomings right now. Bouillon has been awesome this season so far. He's no top 3 dman but he's still doing very well.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Like François Beauchemin and Mike Ribeiro?
that's another story for another time.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
At best, you may see O'Byrne and Gorges switching places. It'll take few games yet. OB was playing fairly well at the beginning of the season so Carbo is probably hoping that he'll get his confidence back in time. Sometimes, it takes just one good game.

There is one problem with OB playing the bottom pair. Bouillon also can't make a first pass, frequently ices the puck when pressed or just gives it away when clearing along the boards. Furthermore, he doesn't have the size to deal with the bigger players in the league. On the other hand, perhaps he could encourage O'Byrne to hit more.
I doubt they switch... Hammer can help O'Byrne and cover for his mistakes....

Gorges already replaces him on the PK unit and in the last few minutes of the game anyway.

By ice time... Gorges is our number 4 and O'B is number 6.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
that's another story for another time.
You're the one talking about player's nationality. Don't talk bullsh*t if you don't want to be called on it.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:23 PM
24 And Counting*

I got flamed about a week ago because I said O'Byrne was trash.

At least I see some people are sharing my opinion.

I bet a vast majority will by the end of next year.

The guy is brutal, he makes me cry blood.

24 And Counting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Magic33

I find this situation to be really tough. Do you keep a kid up here who is really struggling, or do you send him down to hamilton and let him gain some confidence a revisit his game. From what i see right now, the kid is completely lost out there. The worst part is, its the simple things that one should be able to do, that he is not doing. He cannot make a simple pass, he seems very lost in our zone, he gets beat 1 v 1 often. You can tell he has no confidence at all. Tough call, but i really think he could benefit from gaining a little more confidence in the A, while being the go-to guy.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

we can address the issue much better at the trade deadline.... we can pick up more salary then.... for now let O'B play and develop.. and in the last 6 weeks of the regular season and the playoffs we will have a new top 4 guy. Gorges and Bouillion will become the 5 and 6 at that point.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:25 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Well of course you're right. What I don't really have a problem with is O'Byrne growing and playing through a bad epriod to gain the experience. Now if this start of the season slump were to go on, Gainey should fasten (is that a word?) his strategy to ameliorate his defensive group while making sure than O'Byrne can still be learning and getting better with a lesser, better role for him.
I mean Obyrne would really need to turn it 180 to sell me. Even at that, even if he improves, I still don't feel comfortable with him as our 4th going into the playoffs.

Edit:

To add, I agree with you and Beaker that from now until the Trade deadline, Obyrne should be groomed. But not at the cost of winning games. If he's not showing signs of improvement and continues to be a liability, I have no problem with him sitting at the press box.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I was all for seeing him in Hamilton for a few games, but it really becomes problematic if he'd have to clear waivers.
If the player and the team agree to it I believe a two week conditioning period is allowed without having anything to do with waivers.

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 And Counting View Post
I got flamed about a week ago because I said O'Byrne was trash.

At least I see some people are sharing my opinion.

I bet a vast majority will by the end of next year.

The guy is brutal, he makes me cry blood.
Or maybe because of a pretentious, "know it all" attitude from a 22 post newbie.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Haddock

Quote:
I mean Obyrne would really need to turn it 180 to sell me. Even at that, even if he improves, I still don't feel comfortable with him as our 4th going into the playoffs.
I don't think anyone does. Beaker summed it up a couple of pst above. The trade dealine is the best option, how good/bad our collective d will perform (and how O'Byrne does within that group) will dictate if Gainey needs to pull the trigger before that.

Old
Lone Rogue

What I'm wondering is who here has the patience to watch a rookie make mistakes on the blue line when we're going for a Cup?

The more mistakes O'Byrne makes, the more that Brisebois will play. It's that simple.

That said, I hope O'Byrne just shapes up his game and earns his spot again.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The biggest problem he has is he doesn't fit our system.

We are a fast, breakout type team. We look for the fast breaks and try to score off the rush.

O'Byrne plays more of a dump style. He'll chip the puck out of the zone (50% of the time for icing).. and hope that we can do something with that.. and really just hope the other team doesn't score.

Would anyone be willing to move him (+) for a guy we could dress every day and feel more confident? Though I'm really not sure what's out there.
he looked fine last season up until the playoffs. He hasn't been the same since. It looks to me like a confidence issue and I hope he snaps out of it fast or else gainey will have to overpay for a d-man before the deadline.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I found proof that he could go down for conditioning and not have to clear waivers............

Players designated for a conditioning assignment are not subject to waivers, regardless of their waiver status; such assignments may not be longer than fourteen (14) days.

from....................

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
I found proof that he could go down for conditioning and not have to clear waivers............

Players designated for a conditioning assignment are not subject to waivers, regardless of their waiver status; such assignments may not be longer than fourteen (14) days.

from....................

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm
The guy needs to come back from an injury or not have played in a while. Otherwise it's not conditioning...

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote