HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Orr Playing !

Old
11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA View Post
prucha has been crap now for 2 plus seasons, enough of him
Just last season, which consisted of him being more of a reserve/fourth line player.

Dawes scored 14goals last year with a legit playmaker.

Prucha scored 7goals being a "floater". No time to develop chemistry with anyone. 22 goals the previous season, and 30 goals before that. If 22/30 goals is crap, I don't know what Dawes is then, since he does half the things Prucha does on the ice.

You can honestly say that Dawes/Fritsche have out-played Prucha for this season?

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Acew61

OH MAH GOD ORR IS SO BAD HE'S WORST PLAYER IN LEAGUE FIX IT NAOOOO RENNEY!!!111eleventyoneone!!! THIS TEAM IS GOING TO IMPLODE BECAUSE OF A WHOPPING 10 MINUTES OF BAD HOCKEY THERE GOES THE SEASON OH JESUS ****ING CHRIST IN A CHICKEN BASKET!!!

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:07 PM
In The Flesh

Orr will dress every game, just like last yr, thou didn't he miss time due to injury? Orr is one of the least of our worries.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
gravytrain6t

I put up a thread like this when I first joined the boards. And I've always liked Orr. Just didn't think he was deserving. As I watch each game go along, I'm seeing how hard he worked on his skating over the summer. He's not the same player of a year ago or especially two. Last night, with out argument that line was the best line out there for the Rangers. Plus not only in lasts nights game but in a few others, I was quickly reminded and appreciative of how much Orr steps up for his teammates and he can hit, take a punch, and throw some bombs of his own. And he could be developing into one of the best enforcers in the game. Just ask Carolina and Cullen.
BTW,I thought Orr was about to score on that play where he drew the penalty. I'm not worried about any particular member of the team after watching lasts nights game in Toronto (except for maybe Valliquette). I'm much more worried about how they played as a team and continue to have these mental lapses, can't stay focused for 60 full minutes, turn over pucks and not score on the PP. I think we're going to crush the Isles on Tuesday though.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Jamal Mayers likes to scrap, and he did jump Marc Staal at MSG a few weeks ago.My 2 cents to a irrelevent non-sensical thread.

Now onto the "scratch Drury" thread. Jeez...

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Much more important issues to deal with. We have a solid 4th line as 4th lines go.

Freddie shoes is going to get Betts 15 goals this year. Unless he gets moved to the 3rd line.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

orr isnt the problem with this team. period.

the pp is killing us. its our achillies heel again.

i am one who thinks renney plays the 4th line too much still, but orr hasnt been an issue at all and when he pounds face, hes a hard guy not to love.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Much more important issues to deal with. We have a solid 4th line as 4th lines go.

Freddie shoes is going to get Betts 15 goals this year. Unless he gets moved to the 3rd line.
Jumping the gun a bit...they are definitely solid but I think if anything Betts will be lucky to get 8-10.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post

LOL, right...

Anyway, this thread really got ripped to shreds. Welcome to the boards, SaintB. This is why people kick around the concept of minimum posts required to start a thread.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
gravytrain6t

So far from what I see in games with this power play are 1) On many occasions they are just having a problem setting it up. Just like we do on the pk, when the puck carrier (say Gomez comes through the neutral zone he's met by a wall of defenders at the blue line and the puck gets stripped away. 2) So option 2 is to try and have Zherdev carry the puck in because at times I've seen him able to stick handle his way past a defender, draw people too him and just make that one quick pass to an open man and then we have some space to work with. 3) This sounds like a better option but we need much more tenaciousness on the fore check if we need to dump it in. Make the d-men turn around and go in there fast and hard and start banging away. 4)Lastly, when the rangers have the puck set up they seem so dam hesitant. They need to whip that puck around. Nice clean, crisp, hard passes with guys constantly moving their feet to find an opening. Look like an organized pp!! Eventually, the puck will get to someone at the point to blast it on net for deflections and rebound attempts. They look hesitant, unsure of themselves and maybe even unsure of what to do when the pp unit eventually has the chance to set up.

Old
11-02-2008, 07:16 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
If SaintB is actually SaintBlue than there is no hope for this thread

anyway, bashing orr ? considering orr has the same amount of goals as prucha,fritsche,rissmiller and korpokovski PLUS he actually sticks up for the team and fights , i wouldn't worry about orr.

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
SkerZ
LGR

ORR= HUGE improvment since last year A **** load less penalties a whole lot better on his skates makes heads up plays and just seems to be a better all around player that line of Betts Orr and Sjo has performed well leave it alone and look other places to make line change (dawes, Drury, Voros etc.)

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintB View Post
But why is Orr playing ? Detroit is the team destined to win multiple cups in the next few years. They do not have a bone head. Why do we ?
You're right. While we're at it, they don't have an elite goaltender either. Time to dump Lundqvist, Sather.

There is more than one way to succeed.

We are very much like the Red Wings. We rely on depth, and our top players are not better than the sum of our parts. Someone is clearly looking for a scapegoat if he thinks the reason we gave up 5 goals in a span of 4 minutes was a 4th line fighter. Blame our defense. Blame our goalie. Blame our coach. Blame our forecheck. DON'T blame our 4th line.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

Wow, some blinders are definetley on...

Colton Orr has a role on this team and has earned ice time but, despite "improving" he is still possibly one of the worst (possibly THE worst) skater in the entire NHL...Outside of his primary role, he provides basically nothing and it is assinine that he is playing every freakin night...He is absoluylry needed on some nights but.LIke most hockey-challenged goons, he should be used situationally...Especially when we are trying to figure out the value of the other forwards...

And the 4th line is and has been average, nothing more..A few good shifts last night in the 2nd after a few bad ones in the first.....DOesn't mean they were't the best line last night but, hell, the Hollweg-Betts-Orr line was unfortuantely the best line for last year's Rangers for over a month....Without scoring a damn goal...Let's hope that is never the case this year..(well, the not scoring part will be true just hope the other lines get straightened out)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I don't know why you think Orr should be sat, he didn't play that bad last night and all he did was play his role. You could make a point against a team like Carolina who has no enforcer but after last nights game, Orr is the least of our problems.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I don't know why you think Orr should be sat, he didn't play that bad last night and all he did was play his role. You could make a point against a team like Carolina who has no enforcer but after last nights game, Orr is the least of our problems.
I wouldn't even sit Orr against Carolina remember last year? Those games were scrappy, not to mention Orr's 5 minute BS interference penalty.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I wouldn't even sit Orr against Carolina remember last year? Those games were scrappy, not to mention Orr's 5 minute BS interference penalty.
they were so intense even jagr got involved!

Old
11-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Pizza

I chose to read thru this thread....I regret that decision.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Chimp

The 4th line was out best line by far against Toronto. I don't know if that's really, really sad or that our 4th line is really good, but don't fix what's broken.

Fast Freddie is one of the fastest skaters in the game, Lightning Orr has improved alot during the summer and Deking Betts is good in front of the net for the tap in.

I like our 4th line, alot. They've been our most consistent line this season (and the only one that hasn't been broken up).

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:30 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The 4th line was out best line by far against Toronto. I don't know if that's really, really sad or that our 4th line is really good, but don't fix what's broken.

Fast Freddie is one of the fastest skaters in the game, Lightning Orr has improved alot during the summer and Deking Betts is good in front of the net for the tap in.

I like our 4th line, alot. They've been our most consistent line this season (and the only one that hasn't been broken up).

Sounds like the Tampa Bay Slogan for the last 2 seasons

Old
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post

How true is that !!!
4th line is far from a problem but Fritsche flat out sucks
Came in here looking for 3 things - henrik odoyle, staggerelli, and Dagoon. Check, check and check

Orr has been good, as long as he doesnt play too many minutes no one should have a problem with Colton.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Chris 84

I criticise Orr a lot, but I think this season he's looked pretty good for him and so, I don't get after a game like he played against Toronto that a thread like this would be started, that line played well.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
frozenH20

Sjostrom-Betts-Orr are consistently doing exactly what they're supposed to do and even generating scoring chances. Orr is no longer just an enforcer. He has greatly improved over the summer and making smart decisions, reading the play, etc. I thought Frische could swap with Orr against less physical teams, but now have more faith in Orr. I think his presence on the line is actually diverting attention away from Sjostrom & Betts, and allowing them to create offensive.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Jackson Ranger

That's the Rangers problem, the fourth line goon needs to score 20 goals and have 30 assists or were going to blame him for the losses!

The guy does his job in the fighting department and contrary to some, he doesn't hurt this team by being on the ice. Plus, he gives a helluva lot more effort than some other guys have been putting forth this year. I just wish some guys on this team had the hearts of Orr, Betts or Sjostrom.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
gravytrain6t

well like everyone has been saying. I would be all for taking Orr out of the line up. But as the games go on, I see how much his skating has improved. His fourth line was arguably the best line out there for the Rangers the other night in Toronto. I wish Jessiman would have been able to improve as much upon his skating like Orr did over the summer. Although I think Hugh was more focused on beefing up and being able to handle guys like Orr in a fight because that's what the Rangers were asking of him. To have the ability to stand up for his teammates. Also, there's no denying that when Orr is in the lineup, it makes it so much more comfortable for the rest of the team to know they have some one through out a hockey game who will make another team think twice before cheap shotting or taking liberties on the Rangers best offensive players. Now, with a first round pick in Sjostrom playing on that left wing who can make plays and has a lot of speed him self (and is a huge improvement over Hollweg or Ortmeyer), this line is so much more improved than last year and the year before. Right now, I believe Orr playing on the fourth line for the Rangers is by far, the least of their worries.

Oh, Frozen I was thinking exactly the same thing as far as Orr helping to distract the other team and open up space for Betts and Sjostrom. Kind of reminds me of the PlayStation line. I think Orr can learn a lot from Voros as far as that goes, who learned his type of play under a great coach in Minnesota. He was playing on the top line over there for a reason as well. And IDK, maybe Orr can help teach Voros how to throw a harder right punch.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 11-03-2008 at 06:53 PM.