HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rate the HABS October Performance

Old
11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
CanadaIsHockey

vCash: 500
Rate the HABS October Performance

Instead of making individual threads about every player, How about we make 1 thread where we can discuss about the Team's performance and all the Players.
Please do not be shy to make comments, i'm sure none of you are

Overall Team: B+ (8-1-1 Great start on paper, But this team has a lot more potential. Need to play 60mins of great hockey every night not 20 or 40.)

Centers
Saku Koivu: A+ (playing with heart and soul, great playmaking)
Robert Lang: B (Good offensive upside, solid Defensively + penalty kill)
Maxime Lapierre: C- (Invisible more often then not, not fullfilling his role of getting under the skin of his opponents)
Thomas Plekanec: B (Slow start, the effort has been there in the past few games, results showed last game)

Left Wing
Steve Begin: C- (Invisible more often then not)
Christopher Higgins: B- (Doesn't give 100% every game, Can do better)
Andrei Kostitsyn: C+ (Rough start to the season + injury)
Sergei Kostitsyn: C+ (Good start to the season, currently in a slump)
Alex Tanguay: A (Great chemistry between him and koivu)

Right Wing
Mathieu Dandenault: D (He could skate.....)
Tom Kostopoulos: A- (Giving 110% every game, standing up for his teammates, fullfilling his role)
Alex Kovalev: B- (Not giving 100% every game, finally woke up last game?)
Georges Laraque: B- (Not playing with much intensity, great fighter)
Guillaume Latendresse: B (Good start to the season, slowed down lately quite a bit)

Defense
Francis Bouillon: B (08-09 2G in 5 GP, 07-08 2G in 74 GP , Playing with good intensity)
Patrice Brisebois: D (Poor passing, poor defensively, some bad turnovers)
Josh Gorges: A- (Great defensive play, good positioning)
Roman Hamrlik: A (Has been very solid defensively, occasionaly chipping in Offensively)
Mike Komisarek: B (Rough few games at the start, but very solid defensively, Big body presence, taking some bad penalties)
Andrei Markov: A+ (Played his 1st month like a Norris trophy candidate, leading team in points, let's hope he keeps this pace up)
Ryan O'Byrne: D- (Made a few good plays but overall poor defense, poor decision taking, bad turnovers)

Goalies
Carey Price: A (A few bad goals allowed but overall fantastic)
Jaroslav Halak: B (2 solid starts, 1 rough start, happens to the best)

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Russeltown

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to pull a full assessment player by player. I would like to point out that B+ is not enough for our team.... For Price's sake, we are 8-1-1, 17 points out of a possibility of 20 and currently on pace for 139 points.

You also assert that the team has a "Great start on paper, But this team has a lot more potential. Need to play 60mins of great hockey every night not 20 or 40." I had a similar discussion with a friend yesterday night. He just told me that we are not used to that kind of hockey, but if you take a look at Detroit's last season, they played like that during the whole season... and you know what happened during the playoffs. If they rest during the season and reach their full potential during Stanley Cup playoffs, no one can predict what the Habs will do in spring.

I think that your assessment of some players is really severe. How could Tanguay not deserve a A+? Why does Dandenault deserves a D? He has been really serviceable this year... and no, I am not a Dandenault fan...

Cheers buddy!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
CanadaIsHockey

The reason I gave the Team a B+ is simple, we have been outshot in a lot of games and in some games outplayed for most of the game. But soemhow we managed to pull out a victory due to our goalies bailing us out. Sorry to say if we keep playing like this, most of the better teams(Who we still haven't faced btw) will not go gentle on us in the 3rd period like the Islanders did. The goalies will not be able to bail us out every game.

The Reason Tanguay didn't get an A+ is due to the fact that most of the goals he scored were just PERFECTLY set up by Koivu. He had an open net to shoot the puck. I'll give him credit his positioning is very good and he is a solid player, but does that Warrant an A+?

Sorry I won't be justifying the D on Dandenault, as I wrote "He knows how to skate..." .

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
mlandry

I'll give them an 8/10. They managed to win the games which at the end of the day is the most important thing but they still didn't play great during some games or at least parts of them. Still room for a lot of improvement.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Nedved

lapierre has been very good for us.
komi is rated to high, hes off to a slow start
those are the only 2 that stood out to me, the rest are pretty close.

oh. and dandy, hes done as great job on the 4th line.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Clumsyhab

Lapierre deserves a B.
Dandy a C
Lang a C
Breezer C-
Hammer B+

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Lapierre deserves a B.
Dandy a C
Lang a C
Breezer C-
Hammer B+
I'm sorry but Lang a C? The man IS the 3rd line. TK was good but he's not exactly offensively gifted and SKost has been a complete non-factor up to now. To rate Lang lower than Skost is ludicrous.

I don't mean to pick on you but if you rate Lang that low you aren't watching the same games as me.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I'm sorry but Lang a C? The man IS the 3rd line. TK was good but he's not exactly offensively gifted and SKost has been a complete non-factor up to now. To rate Lang lower than Skost is ludicrous.

I don't mean to pick on you but if you rate Lang that low you aren't watching the same games as me.
C for me is not that bad. He had a great start, but hasn't done anything much in the last few games. Also missed a lot of scoring chances and not that good on faceoff. But once again, a C for me is like having 70% at school. Btw, I would rate Skost a C too, so don't get mad, I just didn't want to mention that since the original already had Skost with a C+, so not a big deal for me.

Old
11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Can we include the November 1 game? I think I'll take it into consideration anyway. Overall, this team gets an A. I'd give an A+ if we didn't require a few comebacks and some shaky wins. But 8-1-1 is great any way you slice it. We've beaten good teams and bad teams. Here are my individual assessments for everyone. BTW, I don't go into E's as grades and D- is the worst you can get without an F (F would be a guy like Samsonov so far, but he's in Carolina now). Here's the legend for everyone so you understand what my grades mean-
A+: Sensational
A: Great
A-: Very good
B+: Good
B: Okay
B-: Alright but not too reliable
C+: Average
C: Mediocre
C-: Very ineffective
D+: Bad but not totally useless
D: Useless
D-: Really bad
F: Terrible, needs some serious time in the AHL or press box (a grade for most of our spare parts from 1999-2001 really)

Coaching staff: A-
PK has been alright, PP not as dangerous as expected and Carbonneau hasn't quite matched the strategies of other teams. He's been letting us get sloppy and meek when other teams plan an aggressive style of offense. He'll need to pick it up when the going gets tough, but alas its early.

As for players, let's rank them by best performers to worst (and a category for those with too few games to judge- that being Chipchura actually).

1. Markov: A+
Playing Norris calibre hockey. If he's only pace for 8 goals, who cares? Lidstrom won it with just 9 a year ago! 1 goal yes, but 12 assists is among league leaders. A sweet +7 rating too (hey, +57 is what he's on pace for!)

2. Koivu: A
Turned back the clock... to 2007! Saku last year seemed a little lost and we all thought he was no longer a top flight centre but he has had a sizzling start. Saku's problem is he always hits a wall and plays a mediocre part of the year. I wonder if this barrier comes from having beaten cancer years ago, leaving him unable to play 82 games without real ebbs. Most surprising stat of all: a team-high +9 (he can compete for the Selke!)

3. Tanguay: A-
Has been the team sniper, leading us with 7 goals but hasn't been as big a gamebreaker as Kovy is. He's mainly been doing it on the PP and hasn't looked exceptionally dangerous at even strength though a +6 shows he hasn't been weak on defense at all. Still, he has very good chemistry with Saku. He sometimes disappears however, it's not a slam against Tanguay. He's come in and fulfilled expectations so far and looks to be a great asset. He has earned his status as our #3 scorer.

4. Kovalev: A-
Yes a minus, but only because we haven't seen his best yet. And still, he is on a 40-goal, 82 point pace. With this arsenal of weapons around him, Kovy could possible top last year's numbers and if he doesn't, it's mostly due to the ice time and offense being spread around. He looks more determined to get some scoring done 5-on-5 too. Slotted below Tanguay since 4 of his points came in one game and his contributions aren't as consistent so far.

5. Price: A-
Some weak goals, some trouble with the glove hand. But he has been so solid the rest of the time that we hardly notice just how good he is for a 21-year old goalie. Even after last night he's got a sparkling 2.17 GAA and a .928 sv%.

6. Hamrlik: A-
Solid defense, unexpected offense. Hammer has been our most reliable defender, outside of Markov which just shows you how great Marky has been going both ways. Whenever Hamrlik is hurt it's a huge loss in the defense. Best Hab stay at home guy going at the moment.

7. Lang: B+
At times, he's seemed lacklustre and has missed quite a few golden chances recently. But with his 2nd/3rd line ice time, his production has been satisfactory and his performance hasn't been disappointing at all.

8. Halak: B+
Played very well against Toronto and Florida and only gets docked for the troubles he had with Anaheim. A worthy back-up to Price too. It's nice to know we have a standout goalie on the bench for whenever Price has struggles in his growth.

9. Komisarek: B+
People have been saying he's horrible so far but he's still blocking shots and has a tremendous +7 rating too. Really, he has just seen his struggles concentrated to the PK. He still has a bit to learn even though he's 26. Remember, Markov didn't really round into elite form until after the lockout either. By then, Markov was 26, Komi's age.

10. Gorges: B+
Solid defense, very little hiccups to his game and I attribute his lower +/- (+2) to being paired with struggling players like O'Byrne or Breezy. His 0 PIM are also a great example of how he's been such a team player this year.

11. Kostopolous: B+
Our most solid PK'er and a great all-round effort guy. He's cut down on his boneheaded moves and penalties from last year too. A quality 3rd line character guy.

12. Boullion: B+
Francis has picked up where he left off from his top form last season. In fact he looks maybe better. The 2 goals are a nice surprise, already surpassing last year I think (he had 1 in the playoffs too).

13. Higgins: B
In his 4 games he has been pretty feisty and has been slowly rounding back into form. He'll get there, but I can't really complain about Higgy so far.

14. Plekanec: B
He'd be into the mediocre territory (C+ and under) if he wasn't getting chances. Despite a rather shoddy +1, he was rewarded for his efforts with that 4 pt. game against the Isles. He'll need to keep that up but I'm not horribly disappointed in Plekanec. I was just frustrated with his lack of productivity.

15. Latendresse: B-
7 pts. puts him tied with Pleks for 5th in scoring on the team, but this could be attributed to being on a hot line with Saku and Tanguay for a while. 1 goal in 10 games isn't quite what the Habs want from Gui, who was expected to challenge for 20 even with 2nd or 3rd line minutes.

16. S. Kosty: C+
He started the year with 4 pts. in 3 games but hasn't hit the score sheet since. He seems to be hitting that sophomore jinx or perhaps just his first real slump. He's had the same ice time as last season, but hasn't lived up to it. If he doesn't get it going, he could be a healthy scratch some day. He also needs work on his defensive game (his +/- is even).

17. A. Kosty: C+
Of all our big time scorers, he has been the most disappointing so far to me because at least Pleks has been noticeable even when he's not producing. But his huge hit and concussion has slowed him somewhat. Encouragingly, he showed signs of snapping that funk last night. Not terrible necessarily, just very pedestrian so far. But like I said, he has a reason.

18. Lapierre: C
Not a stellar start. Hasn't given the defensive game for a 4th liner and has squandered scoring chances by not passing. Minus-1 is second worst on the team but can be explained by his reduced ice time not making a high +/- likely to begin with.

19. Begin: C-
I'm not sure what he has left. Gives his all, but can't effectively defend or kill penalties it seems. Injuries have made Begin, only 30 years old, look like he's 40 and on his last legs. Still takes costly penalties too.

20. Dandenault: C-
Not as harmful defensively as he can be, but not as effective offensively as he used to be. He is living on borrowed time.

21. O'Byrne: D+
As bad as Breezy defensively, though his errors aren't as glaring. Still learning the NHL game though, so it's no time to give up on the guy. Maybe he'll see AHL time but his hold on an NHL spot seems a bit more stable after Valatenko up and left for playing in the KHL. Though +/- can be misleading, here it speaks the truth as he has the worst +/- of the d-men at even. Somehow though, his contributions offensively have been better than Patrice "But I'm Ok on the PP" Brisebois. Speaking of....

22. Brisebois: D
Hasn't given much offensively, but has looked just as washed up as ever on defense. If O'Byrne was playing like he should, Breezy would hardly see the lineup any more. The way things are going with the 3rd pairing and 7th d-man spots, we will see either a Weber call-up or a trade for a stay-at-home d-man from Gainey (just no cop-out trade like Todd Simpson thank you).

23. Laraque: D
Though 4 games isn't much, he only really made an impact against Phoenix. Lost his fight to Fritz last night and has otherwise been as useful as Darren Langdon and Aaron Downey on their worst days. Though it's in just 4 games, his minus-2 also proves he's more of a liability than an asset sometimes. I hope his groin problems are to explain for all this.

Not enough action to judge:
Chipchura (though in his 1 game I'd award him a B+ for his gritty work and fine faceoff skills. This guy is a born competitor and leader.On most other teams, he'd be in the NHL by now but he has had to pay his dues and wait. But with some of our 4th liners looking rather bleak, that time perhaps has come. I think he might sneak in more than the 26 games he got last year.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 11-02-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
The reason I gave the Team a B+ is simple, we have been outshot in a lot of games and in some games outplayed for most of the game. But soemhow we managed to pull out a victory due to our goalies bailing us out. Sorry to say if we keep playing like this, most of the better teams(Who we still haven't faced btw) will not go gentle on us in the 3rd period like the Islanders did. The goalies will not be able to bail us out every game.

The Reason Tanguay didn't get an A+ is due to the fact that most of the goals he scored were just PERFECTLY set up by Koivu. He had an open net to shoot the puck. I'll give him credit his positioning is very good and he is a solid player, but does that Warrant an A+?

Sorry I won't be justifying the D on Dandenault, as I wrote "He knows how to skate..." .
We were often outshot last year too....

Its all about the number of scoring chances not the number of shots....

The habs have guys like markov and kovalev who love to set up the perfect chance... our defensive strategy allows a lot of perimeter shots with no traffic...

You can't just look at the stats.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
HabsHockey

A, 17 out 20 points deserves an A. Ups an Downs during some games but you can't be perfect.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
A, 17 out 20 points deserves an A. Ups an Downs during some games but you can't be perfect.
I agree. What matters is results. Best winning % in the league deserves not only an A, but an A+.

Old
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
CPrice

Yeah. Gotta give them an A as well. Can't be too harsh on a team with 17 out of 20 points. You can see some flaws in the team but you have to compare to other NHL teams as no team is perfect or even near perfect. So with comparing to NHL teams I think Habs are in top 3=A

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
redmachine54

A- for me. What's nice is that, even despite some below-average play and some pretty shoddy work in their own zone, they still managed an 8-1-1 record. If I lived in a dome and analyzed each game case-by-case without considering their record, I wouldn't say the Habs have been playing excellent hockey. Some games have been good, some games have been bad, but it's October, and I expect some guys are still looking for their groove.

I can't really pick out many players and say they've played bad... maybe O'Byrne, and Brisebois in a few games (but he generally had competition from his own teammates in those games). Sergei's been invisible for awhile now.

Other than that, I like how Tanguay has gelled with Koivu, and how the KPK like is picking it up. My own personal preference would be to slot Higgins next to Koivu and Tanguay, but if Lats plays there, I really don't mind... but I like those lines.

If I had to change one thing, it'd be moving Markov back to the left side on the powerplay; he just seemed so much more at ease there.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
x-bob

Funny, I was jut working a this exact same thread o frida but I never got a chance to complete it. Anyways, here us my analysis.

Centers

Saku Koivu: A
He finaly has his all-star winger. People expected his point production to drop off considering last years production but they were wrong

Robert Lang: B
He brings a lot of offence and defence to that third line. I was afraid that he was going to be a bit like Bonk and Smolinski but he has ecome a pleasent suprise

Maxime Lapierre: B-
Much better then I expected. The pest in him asen't come out yet this season but he is playing pretty good defensivly.

Thomas Plekanec: C-
The effort was there but he wasn't playing no where near his potential. Glad to see that november is looking a little better for him

Left Wing

Steve Begin: D+
Nothing he did really warented him being in the line-up. He had a couple of bonehead penalties too.

Christopher Higgins: B-
I liked what I have seen from him since he came back. His scoring touch isn't back but with time it will come.

Andrei Kostitsyn: C+
Hard to judge considering the injury.

Sergei Kostitsyn: C+
After the first couple of games he could have been an A- but due to his current slump he dropped. He has been a bit invisible in the last couple of matches.

Alex Tanguay: A
Just what our team needed. He was brought here to help our offence but I doubt people were expecting him to score so many goals. I'm very impressed.

Right Wing

Mathieu Dandenault: D+
I haven't really noticed him in the games that he played. Not sure if it is good or bad.

Tom Kostopoulos: B-
I like him on our third line and I love his style of play. He has dropped back a bit since he was demoted with the return of Higgins but that is understandable.

Alex Kovalev: B-
Very hard to judge considering that he hit about 5-6 posts in the month of October. He was trying the perfect play to often (see spin-o-rama). He has to get back to what he does best.

Georges Laraque: B-
He is doing what he is asked to. What can you ask for more.

Guillaume Latendresse: B
He is pretty good and if he steps it up just a bit he can solidify his spot on the 1st line which would be great. He might fall down though if Higgins decides to play to his potential.

Defense

Francis Bouillon: B
He came up with some big goals at some important times. I love his play wit Gorges.

Patrice Brisebois: D-
He had one decent game and all the rest were absolutly awfull.

Josh Gorges: B+
I always loved ths kid and he seems to get better every game. If only he can

Roman Hamrlik: A
One of the most important parts of our defensif group. He is arguably as important as Markov back there and he is very underrated around the league.

Mike Komisarek: B-
The begining of the month was a bit more difficult him but he is starting to play to his potential blocking shots and taking the body in front of the net.

Andrei Markov: A+
Played a phenomal month and he was our best player without a doubt.

Ryan O'Byrne: D-
Worst player on the team in my opinion.

Goalies

Carey Price: A
Very good month. It feels very good to finaly have a dependable goalie in front of the net.

Jaroslav Halak: B-
Wasn't to bad. He could be better though. He did play great agains Florida though.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
SpreeEndaz

Obviously better than the following:

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Obviously better than the following:

Yes, obviously. Don't they have studio technology to make terrible singing sound good? I bet they wrote that song because if they hired real songwriters, it would never turn out this awful. If a few 11-year olds wrote that one, that's a decent excuse. The lyrics sound too witty for thir age bracket but the real thing is, who the **** produced that? It's like slave drivers formed this band... Anyway, Habs rule!

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
la25ecoupe

I'm afraid when we'll encounter big teams like Sharks, Detroit, Calgary .. we'll struggle because we don't have their killer instinct.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

A+: Sensational
A: Great
A-: Very good
B+: Good
B: Okay
B-: Alright but not too reliable
C+: Average
C: Mediocre
C-: Very ineffective
D+: Bad but not totally useless
D: Useless
D-: Really bad
F: Terrible, needs some serious time in the AHL or press box (a grade for most of our spare parts from 1999-2001 really)

Staff: B+
PP is M.I.A. at the moment but thankfully our team has enough talent to overcome that. Once things start clicking I'm sure it will turn around.
PK Has been okay with the exception of the Minny game where they were excellent.
A.Kost seems to be fully recovered *knock on wood* Props to the Medical staff for not throwing him in to early.

Markov: A+
Best Defenseman in the East this month without a shadow of a doubt. He has brought the total package and is playing Norris quality hockey right now.

Price: A+
Has he stopped the shots he should have stopped? Yes. Has he stopped shots he shouldn't have stopped? Yes! He has done what is asked and more. He has won us some games by carrying the team on his back and has been solid.

Koivu: A
He seems to have put the hook away *knock on wood*. I think, and this is purely speculation, that he took Gainey's pursuit of Sundin and the signing of Lang and used it as motivation to show everyone that he isn't a washed up version of who he used to be and that we weren't as vulnerable at the center position as people perceived.

Tanguay: A
He scores when chances come to him. With Koivu enjoying a renaissance, Tanguay is riding shotgun and showing to everyone (especially Mike Keenan) how he still has it.

Hamrlik: A
Solid as usual and threw in some surprising offense in the mix. What else is there to say? without Hamrlik our D-Corp looks very suspect.

Gorges: A-
With the lesser minutes being given to him I can't think of any time where he has looked glaringly bad. Has continued to be reliable and then some, keeping with the pace he set at the end of the season and the playoffs last year.

Kovalev: B+
For this month I'll give him a B+. Although I'm sure it will be higher as the season moves along. He has shown flashes of 08-09 Kovy and I'm sure will come into his own very shortly. His shortcomings, to a lesser extent, can also be seen in the current status of our PP.

Lang: B+
Has shown that he has much more to bring to the table than any other third liner that has played for the Habs in recent memory. With the abundance of quality wingers (finally all healthy at the same time *knock on wood*) he should put up at least 2nd line type numbers. He hasn't finished all the chances he has gotten but he can't miss em' all right?

Halak: B+
Played very well in his first two games, but showed vulnerability against Anaheim. Only time will tell how his play during that game will affect him in the coming few weeks.

Kostopolous: B+
Has brought massive heart to make up for the lack of skill. His energy and enthusiasm is exactly what the 4th line needs and he brings it night in and night out.

Boullion: B+
He has looked solid on the back end with Gorges. So good in fact that they have logged in better quality minutes than our second pairing. (Not really Hamrlik's fault but more so his partners)

Higgins: B
Limited action, but in the few games he has played has looked a bit flat (expected after missing so many games). But he is forechecking like a demon and is doing what he can in the place of scoring.

Latendresse: B
Worked hard in the off-season to show that he belongs. Given the opportunity to ride shotgun with the red hot Koivu and the newcomer Tanguay, he took it and ran. Has slowed (figuratively ) down in the latter half of the month but has used his body a lot more in comparison to last season which is a good sign.

A. Kost: B
Again I think that the lines success is very dependent on each other's success ergo since Kovy and Pleks are struggling so is A.Kost. Once someone starts putting up numbers on their line the others follow suit.

Lapierre: B
He is making opposing players look ridiculously slow, I've been really surprised at his speed. While his defensive play isn't stellar he has got the job done on what basically amounts to an energy line.

Komisarek: B-
He's been blocking shots and hitting like a he's possessed as is expected. But being one of our best players last year expectation are higher this year. Other have stepped up while Komi seems to have regressed a bit looking almost Streit-ish when facing heavy forecheck. He also has been caught pinching on more occasions than is expecting of him.

Plekanec: B-
A bit disappointed with his start so far. But he has been trying and chance will eventually lead to goals. His misfiring to begin the season has spilled over affecting A.Kost and Kovy. But the logjam should eventually clear and they will be back in mid-season form soon enough.

S. Kost: B-
He is in a slump and let nobody (aka. Erika Kostitsyn) convince you otherwise. He has to pickup where he left off last season. He has been placed with a quality center and has no reason not to get out of his current funk.

Laraque: C+
He has done what he was brought in to do what else is there to be said?

Begin: C-
Can't say much about Steve. He is doing what he can. But with the plethora of wingers on the roster he seems to be the odd man out. Let's hope he makes the most of his upcoming opportunities to play.

Dandenault: C-
Meh, that all I can really say about Dandy. He dodged a bullet with the Sundin debacle and is lucky to still have a job. As long as he stays under the radar and doesn't do something incredibly stupid he will continue to be just that, under the radar.

O'Byrne: D+
Terrible, just plain awful. He is really giving Breezer a run for his money as the worse defenseman on this squad right now. If it wasn't for Hammer, and the need for size on the back end, OB would be in the AHL right now.

Brisebois: D
What the royal **** is this guy doing playing so many games for this team. Someone is going to die of a heart attack this season and their blood should be on his hands.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:16 AM
TomPlex

Brisebois haters will always be Brisebois haters. I can only recall 1 or 2 bad games from the guy this season... Overall, I'd give him a B- on the season. That's a hell of a lot better than most of you guys are giving him.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
O'Byrne: D+
Terrible, just plain awful. He is really giving Breezer a run for his money as the worse defenseman on this squad right now. If it wasn't for Hammer, and the need for size on the back end, OB would be in the AHL right now.

Brisebois: D
What the royal **** is this guy doing playing so many games for this team. Someone is going to die of a heart attack this season and their blood should be on his hands.
I don't get why O'Byrne got a better grade than Breezer.

Old
11-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Brisebois haters will always be Brisebois haters. I can only recall 1 or 2 bad games from the guy this season... Overall, I'd give him a B- on the season. That's a hell of a lot better than most of you guys are giving him.
sorry, Brisebois has sucked this season.

O'Byrne, Begin, Laraque, S. Kostitsyn have been very disapointing.

Tanguay, Koivu, Hamrlik, Markov, Gorges, Price, Kostopoulos and Lapierre have been in awesome in my point of view.

The rest are so-so.

The team as a whole deserves nothing less than an A+
17 out of 20 is incredible. Best winning % in the league.
The only loss in regulation comes after a 5 day layoff. Those games are never easy. (watch, friday will be a tough one for the Habs)

After last game, I expect the Pleks, Kovy and AK46 line to start producing alot more. Pleks finally got the monkey off his back. He was playing well but the puck just wasnt bouncing his way.

If we ever get the 3 top lines firing at the same time, the league better watch out because alot of teams will get blown out the building.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
sorry, Brisebois has sucked this season.
Based on what? Give me some concrete examples, and not all from one game. I said that he was bad in 1 or 2 games this season.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
24 And Counting*

Overall Team: A

Centers
Saku Koivu: A
Robert Lang: B
Maxime Lapierre: B
Thomas Plekanec: C

Left Wing
Steve Begin: D
Christopher Higgins: C-
Andrei Kostitsyn: C
Sergei Kostitsyn: C+
Alex Tanguay: A+

Right Wing
Mathieu Dandenault: C
Tom Kostopoulos: B+
Alex Kovalev: B+
Georges Laraque: C+
Guillaume Latendresse: B

Defense
Francis Bouillon: B+
Patrice Brisebois: C-
Josh Gorges: A-
Roman Hamrlik: A
Mike Komisarek: C+
Andrei Markov: A+
Ryan O'Byrne: F

Goalies
Carey Price: A-
Jaroslav Halak: B+

24 And Counting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Based on what? Give me some concrete examples, and not all from one game. I said that he was bad in 1 or 2 games this season.
He continuously gives the puck to the wrong team, is often caught out of position, and just plain sucks. His time has passed and its time he realizes that.

you can ask Natey, When Breezer plays good, I can admit it, and I have yet to do that this year (I've seen all but 1 game).

The only reason he still plays is because O'Byrne has showed nothing to proove that he deserves the spot over Brisebois.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote